Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Stupid poo poo done (or in preparation) by PiS, another update.

• They are going to support total ban on abortion act, prepared by religious wackos and endorsed by the Episcopate. Terminating pregnancy is not going to be allowed even when the mother' life is in serious danger because of it (like in case of the melanoma, which pregnancy makes much more malignant). Hell, even if the mother needs an unrelated medical intervention that poses a danger to the "unborn child" (like chemotherapy), the doctor authorizing it could risk getting prosecuted.
  • They had been preparing for some time a very restrictive act making selling arable land much more difficult (ostensibly to prevent it from getting into foreign hands). Recently it turned out that religious organizations are going to be exempt from most of these rules, being able to sell and buy land without limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

my dad posted:

OK, I saw the verdict, so here I am again for a short while. This'll be fun. Or horribly depressing. That works, too. This is going to be a loooooooooong post.

Thanks for this, I may have written a letter to Belgrade in defense of Seselj for Amnesty International back in high school and hoped he would finally get some form of punishment for his poo poo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gantolandon posted:

• They are going to support total ban on abortion act, prepared by religious wackos and endorsed by the Episcopate. Terminating pregnancy is not going to be allowed even when the mother' life is in serious danger because of it (like in case of the melanoma, which pregnancy makes much more malignant). Hell, even if the mother needs an unrelated medical intervention that poses a danger to the "unborn child" (like chemotherapy), the doctor authorizing it could risk getting prosecuted.
It's worth noting that the women will also be prosecuted for having an abortion and not only doctors, this includes rape victims. The 'best' thing is that the main argument used by those bishops is that "Life of every human being is protected by the 5th commandment: don't kill. Therefore the Catholic point of view in this matter is clear: life is supposed to be protected from conception to natural death"... Yeah, that sure is a great argument for letting the mother die giving birth because apparently the 5th commandment doesn't include her, loving retards.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Whew, glad i'm neither a woman nor a gynecologist.

Dodged a bullet there.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Gantolandon posted:

• They had been preparing for some time a very restrictive act making selling arable land much more difficult (ostensibly to prevent it from getting into foreign hands). Recently it turned out that religious organizations are going to be exempt from most of these rules, being able to sell and buy land without limits.
It's ironic how PiS accuses PO of being in an arrangement/pact with Polish business while themselves being in the exact same setup with the church. I mean I knew that politics and Catholic church have always been very close in Poland but the shamelessness of PiS in revealing just how deep that connection goes has honestly blown my mind.

It's also scary that it goes the other way too - in the past I thought that Polish Catholic church while being a bunch of conservative idiots did their own thing and used politics to reach their goals but in their stance on refugees and their attacks on the loving pope of all people they proved how hard they can bend their own views and turn into a Rydzyk-like cult for government money. It's disgusting.

Pierogi posted:

Whew, glad i'm neither a woman nor a gynecologist.

Dodged a bullet there.
Just be a white straight male and you're going to be fine...while on your way to the unemplyment agency.

Bloodshit
Mar 31, 2016

by zen death robot
Amazing. Despite the deaths of thousands of Ukrainians, near-total economic collapse, and mass impoverishment of the population, Poroshenko's fortune has increased by 100 million USD in the past year!

What an incredible businessman. Now those are what I call some European values.

http://tass.ru/en/world/866423

Original article on Forbes (in Ukrainian):

http://forbes.net.ua/ua/news/1413803-forbes-prezentuvav-novij-rejting-najbagatshih-lyudej-ukrayini

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Palpek posted:

It's worth noting that the women will also be prosecuted for having an abortion and not only doctors, this includes rape victims. The 'best' thing is that the main argument used by those bishops is that "Life of every human being is protected by the 5th commandment: don't kill. Therefore the Catholic point of view in this matter is clear: life is supposed to be protected from conception to natural death"... Yeah, that sure is a great argument for letting the mother die giving birth because apparently the 5th commandment doesn't include her, loving retards.

I remember an interview with a Catholic doctor who said she wouldn't terminate pregnancy of a woman with melanoma. She also wouldn't even tell her who else could do the abortion, nor would she inform her that in her state, pregnancy puts her life in serious danger. At this point it's not even about protecting the fetus, it's preventing the heathen for usurping the invisible sky wizard's right to determine who leaves and who dies.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Doodles McIdiot posted:

Hey BM, if you happened to notice a somewhat disheveled looking gentleman in the room, I swung by to see this in person. What are your feelings about this meeting? I thought the presentation was well done but I had hoped the discussion afterward would be more engaging. I have always found that Dutch politicians pussyfoot around international security issues. Do you feel that, in your conversations with them, they seem to take the Russian strategy seriously enough?

Thanks for coming, I think it was a fairly standard discussion for those sorts of events, but we had a lot of good conversations afterwards and we've been in more meetings today, and they seemed engaged.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wonder what might result in an art critic getting iced?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
A half-assed police investigation and nothing else

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nitrox posted:

A half-assed police investigation and nothing else

Think you misread the sentence order there. Unless Russian police incompetence is getting really exotic.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

my dad posted:

OK, I saw the verdict, so here I am again for a short while. This'll be fun. Or horribly depressing. That works, too. This is going to be a loooooooooong post.

Thank you for the long post. I didn't know the prosecution was so shambolic.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Holocaust420 posted:

Amazing. Despite the deaths of thousands of Ukrainians, near-total economic collapse, and mass impoverishment of the population, Poroshenko's fortune has increased by 100 million USD in the past year!

What an incredible businessman. Now those are what I call some European values.

http://tass.ru/en/world/866423

Original article on Forbes (in Ukrainian):

http://forbes.net.ua/ua/news/1413803-forbes-prezentuvav-novij-rejting-najbagatshih-lyudej-ukrayini
So does Russia pay-for-post program pay you in dollars or roubles?

az
Dec 2, 2005

Runaktla posted:

So does Russia pay-for-post program pay you in dollars or roubles?

Since the ruble devaluation most employees prefer to be paid in warm fuzzy nationalism and coupons for potato.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

Think you misread the sentence order there. Unless Russian police incompetence is getting really exotic.

What am I missing there? Russian police is not the most competent to begin with, and combined with the huge workload, there are many unsolved murders and mysteries in their system. When you factor in corruption, the priority ladder of cases that actually gets investigated, is correlated to the amount of bribes and bonuses that are on the table. So unless there is a pressure from the top, police follow the path of least resistance and investigate very little. Luckily, most common domestic crimes are perpetuated by a people in close proximity to the victim, and easy to solve. If this man was actually assassinated, then the case is destined to linger in the archives forever.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Nitrox posted:

What am I missing there? Russian police is not the most competent to begin with, and combined with the huge workload, there are many unsolved murders and mysteries in their system. When you factor in corruption, the priority ladder of cases that actually gets investigated, is correlated to the amount of bribes and bonuses that are on the table. So unless there is a pressure from the top, police follow the path of least resistance and investigate very little. Luckily, most common domestic crimes are perpetuated by a people in close proximity to the victim, and easy to solve. If this man was actually assassinated, then the case is destined to linger in the archives forever.

"result in" not "result from" :cheeky:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Gantolandon posted:

That's absolutely disgusting. Hope it won't be too much trouble for people to travel to other EU countries for these procedures.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Gantolandon posted:

It gets "better", apparently the proposed act penalises "involuntary prenatal murder", which means that if a woman miscarries she might be prosecuted because she didn't look after herself properly during the pregnancy and might have contributed to the miscarriage!

Having said that, I think this is a smoke screen - PiS dropped the abortion bomb, a shitstorm ensued and now barely anyone remembers about the constitutional crisis. Polls show that relatively few people in Poland want a stricter abortion law (something like 15%), the only ones in favour are hardcore right-wingers, and they're going to vote for PiS anyway, so there's no political capital to be gained.

quote:

Hope it won't be too much trouble for people to travel to other EU countries for these procedures.

That's going to be made illegal under the proposed act, too :suicide:

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I logged on to drop this article, which is a pretty good taxonomy of the various shades and stripes of the far right in Latvia, but all the PiS chat made me curious as to how their natalism politics work out. Some of them get mentioned by Facebook crazies - such as generous child benefits for second/third children, etc.

Any delicious failure stories there yet?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

szary posted:

That's going to be made illegal under the proposed act, too :suicide:

Prison is still better than being dead. Also, they are never gonna find out unless they start inspecting everyone who wants to leave Poland for pregnancy.

Being a woman in this hosed up society can be really terrifying at times. :ohdear:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Gantolandon posted:

I remember an interview with a Catholic doctor who said she wouldn't terminate pregnancy of a woman with melanoma. She also wouldn't even tell her who else could do the abortion, nor would she inform her that in her state, pregnancy puts her life in serious danger. At this point it's not even about protecting the fetus, it's preventing the heathen for usurping the invisible sky wizard's right to determine who leaves and who dies.

I would wonder how fast this poo poo would stand if there was a Zika outbreak in Poland.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
The situation in eastern Ukraine is heating up again.

PDF of ceasefire violations in the past 24-48 hours:

http://www.osce.org/ukraine-smm/231161?download=true

OSCE report:

http://www.osce.org/ukraine-smm/231156

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't understand why Poland is so anti-russia. Shouldn't they be lobbying to quit the EU and NATO so they can just become a lovely hyper-conservative religious dictatorship with Russia? Is it a catholic/orthodox thing? They seem to desperately want to become some sort of catholic russia.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand why Poland is so anti-russia.

Any amount of reading about Polish history will tell you exactly why Poland is wary as gently caress of Russia.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand why Poland is so anti-russia.

Probably because even those presently in charge have basic awareness of own history and of fact that Russia has not abandoned an imperialist identity?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

Any amount of reading about Polish history will tell you exactly why Poland is wary as gently caress of Russia.
To be fair this should hold true of any country in Eastern Europe - and sadly doesn't.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand why Poland is so anti-russia. Shouldn't they be lobbying to quit the EU and NATO so they can just become a lovely hyper-conservative religious dictatorship with Russia? Is it a catholic/orthodox thing? They seem to desperately want to become some sort of catholic russia.
No, just no. Poland will gently caress over its own citizens a thousand fold but will do everything in its power conservative or liberal to keep away from Russia. One of the biggest motivations for being a part of the EU and NATO was to find ways to be safer from Russia, not the other way round. In 20th century alone Poland was first partly annexed by Russia, then was at war with Russia 2 times, then was invaded by Russia during WW2 and finally taken over and put under a Russian-controlled regime until 1989. So overall Poland wouldn't like to be allies with its biggest enemy.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Plus, they just saw what happens when you aren't all the way on the other side.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Soiled Meat
But, but... Russia deserves a sphere of influence :cry:

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Palpek posted:

No, just no. Poland will gently caress over its own citizens a thousand fold but will do everything in its power conservative or liberal to keep away from Russia. One of the biggest motivations for being a part of the EU and NATO was to find ways to be safer from Russia, not the other way round. In 20th century alone Poland was first partly annexed by Russia, then was at war with Russia 2 times, then was invaded by Russia during WW2 and finally taken over and put under a Russian-controlled regime until 1989. So overall Poland wouldn't like to be allies with its biggest enemy.
Hungary seemed the same way, yet they've become much friendlier with Russia in recent years due to their common worldview to Putin and rampant conspiracy theories about U.S. and EU influence. I wonder why Hungary has turned the way it has where they try to use both the west and Russia to their benefit, whereas Poland is still all-in with hatred towards Russia despite having similar conservative values. Hungary has just as much of a reason to view Russia as the enemy from their well-remembered 1956 revolution, yet so many of them blame the U.S. for not saving them rather than blame the Russians who were the ones actually performing the massacre in Budapest.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Russia doesn't actually have similar "conservative values", FWIW, besides the "hates gay people" part. There is a lot of noise, but the country isn't particularly religious...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I find it interesting the very different ways the Poles, Czechs, and Hungarians have gone despite their similar shared past. Poland has turned into a hyper-nationalistic catholic reactionary mess with an identity based around catholic values, gently caress russia, anything left of PiS is pissing on the graves of every Victim Of Communism. Hungary is a nationalistic reactionary mess of corruption and racism but just loves that Putin because only he can stand up to the SOROS (jew!!) run world leftist (jewish) conspiracy (jews) to destroy europe with their paid-off Muslim hoards. Meanwhiles the Czechs have a modestly functional democracy, an economy not totally strangled by corruption, are quite non-religious, don't knee-jerk associate leftism with Stalinism, and hate russia not just for historical reasons but as part of generally hating any lovely dictatorship with garbage human rights.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cyberbully posted:

Hungary seemed the same way, yet they've become much friendlier with Russia in recent years due to their common worldview to Putin and rampant conspiracy theories about U.S. and EU influence. I wonder why Hungary has turned the way it has where they try to use both the west and Russia to their benefit, whereas Poland is still all-in with hatred towards Russia despite having similar conservative values. Hungary has just as much of a reason to view Russia as the enemy from their well-remembered 1956 revolution, yet so many of them blame the U.S. for not saving them rather than blame the Russians who were the ones actually performing the massacre in Budapest.
Could that perhaps have something to do with Russia being at or near the top of Poland's poo poo list for centuries, including an extended period of direct subjugation, while Hungary has nowhere near the same history???

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Could that perhaps have something to do with Russia being at or near the top of Poland's poo poo list for centuries, including an extended period of direct subjugation, while Hungary has nowhere near the same history???

Both the Czechs and Poles have a history of subjugation, but the Hungarians can look back at the dual monarchy with rose colored glasses, maybe?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Plus the Czech views probably aren't long for this world - the propaganda machine is up and running and more and more people are buying into it. You know the drill: refugees and muslims in general are there to kill our culture, USA is behind it and caused it all, the EU has betrayed our civilization, only Putin can save us.
Doesn't help that the president is pretty openly an useful idiot willing to do anything for a pat on the back from the Kremlin.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 1, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Soiled Meat
There's very little common history between the Hungarians and the Slavs of the Habsburg Empire. If anything, the relationship is one of historical antagonism, with the Slavs often uniting with the Empire's Germans against the Hungarians who tried to subjugate Slavs within their domain. Notably during the 1840s rebellion in Hungary, Czech leaders lobbied at the Viennese court to be allowed to field a volunteer army of Czechs and Slovaks against Hungarians who were seen as more of a menace than the Austrian Germans.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 1, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That's the thing: there's a lot of common history but that means they hate each other. Particularly notably in what's now Slovakia.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

At least between Hungary/Poland it comes to economical differences imo. Hungary's transition to democracy turned it from one of the leading countries in the Eastern block into one with economical problems disappointed with EU not being a cure to all troubles so their sentiment towards older days and connections with Russia may be (?) positive. Poland experienced economical growth and did well during the last big economical crysis so the sweet past with Russia isn't seen as something positive.

Also what PiS is doing is really bad but the country is (at least) still democratic. Its current government is lovely but there's an abyss between how Russia and Poland operate despite how flashy the news headlines sound. We'll see how the situation develops as what PiS communicates is loving scary but up until now it's been more smoke than fire and jumping from one big heated issue to the next giving people a lot to get angry about when turning the tv on but other than that it's business as usual.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

There's very little common history between the Hungarians and the Slavs of the Habsburg Empire. If anything, the relationship is one of historical antagonism, with the Slavs often uniting with the Empire's Germans against the Hungarians who tried to subjugate Slavs within their domain. Notably during the 1840s rebellion in Hungary, Czech leaders lobbied at the Viennese court to be allowed to field a volunteer army of Czechs and Slovaks against Hungarians who were seen as more of a menace than the Austrian Germans.
Actually, on the topic, how is the Habsburg Empire viewed in the Czech Republic today? I'm guessing much less negatively than Poland vis-a-vis Russia? Not that that might not be damning with faint praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Actually, on the topic, how is the Habsburg Empire viewed in the Czech Republic today? I'm guessing much less negatively than Poland vis-a-vis Russia? Not that that might not be damning with faint praise.

To a large extent the rule of Franz Joseph is seen with a misty-eyed nostalgia, as a halcyon days period of our national history. This, however, has less to do with actual political history, and more with the way the period has been romanticized as a sort of a naive, lazy and innocent, pastoral era only slightly marred by the benign dictatorship of a kindly Emperor by popular authors, including pillars of Czech pop culture like Hrabal, Hašek, and the Jára Cimrman people. I think it's fair to say that in the popular subconsciousness the late Habsburg monarchy became an idealized counterpart to the Communist regime, a call back to a period when the nation still had its full potential, both economic and moral, unspoiled by wars and ideological dictatorship.

As for a more serious view of the overally period of Habsburg rule, it's been traditionally negative among scholars, seen as a dark age, but there's been a growing faction since the 19th century basically rehabilitating the modern Catholic history of Bohemia under Austria, and the cohabitation of Czechs and Germans as essentially a product of reciprocal forces between the Czech and German elements, and I think nowadays this camp has more credibility than the traditionalist view of the quintessentially Protestant Czech nation, descended from the Hussites, being suppressed by the xenophobic Austrians.