Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Speaking of salad, I was always amused by the triple salad reference in this strip, and I wonder if Chris decided to stop it at 3 or simply couldn't come up with salad references that were funny enough for Vlad and Cornelius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Tarranon posted:

As follows "the organic grocery budget is the new Catholic indulgence" is one of the most important statements to be made in the salad days of the 2010s

Also that's one of those strips I always like wherein Ray gets some big wheeler-dealer on the phone just by calling up the operator and demanding it

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

tacodaemon posted:

Also that's one of those strips I always like wherein Ray gets some big wheeler-dealer on the phone just by calling up the operator and demanding it

That's just the way Ray has always thought, it's how he found eBay platinum reserve after all.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

tacodaemon posted:

During the 60s, Oregon governor Tom McCall's mother was so mad that he wouldn't take her calls that she called the White House and managed to cajole and browbeat her way into a phone conversation with President Johnson.

The White House then called McCall's office and said "tell the governor to call his mother".

Some people got a knack for things.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Didn't Charles Mingus actually have a cat named Nightlife?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Darth Windu posted:

Didn't Charles Mingus actually have a cat named Nightlife?

Who he did train to poo poo in a toilet, yes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

During the 60s, Oregon governor Tom McCall's mother was so mad that he wouldn't take her calls that she called the White House and managed to cajole and browbeat her way into a phone conversation with President Johnson.

The White House then called McCall's office and said "tell the governor to call his mother".

Some people got a knack for things.

Johnson loved browbeating and intimidating people into doing what he wanted, so he probably felt she was a kindred spirit :3:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ie-Q5fdctU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

:siren:NEW STRIP:siren:

A complicated power dynamic, as expressed by two idiots arguing about their hair.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

RZApublican posted:

A complicated power dynamic, as expressed by two idiots arguing about their hair.

Did Pat and Rod Huggins break up?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

prefect posted:

Did Pat and Rod Huggins break up?

Rod doesn't stay at Pat's much.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

I mean, would you? Pat aside, a serial killer also lives there.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

RZApublican posted:

Out of character, as Pat is in the right

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Would've been better without Pat's zinger at the end. A decent Achewood.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cloks posted:

I think it worked since he internalized it. I like that Pat seems to just run around like that normally.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rushing all over the place with an angry face? Everyone knows a Pat.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

A good 2001-era Achewood.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Please do this for all of the snarky ones.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Cloks posted:

yeah, between this and Teodor's what yesterday I keep getting surprised. It's like you're listening to a classic pop song and all the sudden someone slams a piano

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

JethroMcB posted:

It's an April Fools' edition.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

projecthalaxy posted:

Speaking of Pat, this is my favorite Pat strip. It's like Gravitas Shortfall said, Pat's a relatable character. I know like three people who would get this heated about compost or whatever their Thing was.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01312010

You would not believe the arguments I've got into regarding my method of composting.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

JethroMcB posted:

Pete's dialogue is a bit weird too without any of his usual mannerisms, although i love the pause before he says "Pat."

Oxxidation posted:

(I think Friday Facts would fit in well with the new one-off weekly format)

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 1, 2016

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
I remember when getting a Friday Facts instead of a real achewood was an annoyance... now I just miss the regular content :(

Edit: And yet, many of achewood's funniest lines are from friday facts. Life's complicated!

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
I saw this.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

grading essays nude posted:

Pete's dialogue is a bit weird too without any of his usual mannerisms, although i love the pause before he says "Pat."

(I think Friday Facts would fit in well with the new one-off weekly format)

not gonna lie, marinara made me snort laugh out loud at work and now i have to go home because i have died of embarrassment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"At least I don't have a bald spot which announces to the world that Mother Nature has yet again abandoned her workbench in disgust" is one hell of a burn.

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer

The Pony Incident posted:

I remember when getting a Friday Facts instead of a real achewood was an annoyance... now I just miss the regular content :(

Edit: And yet, many of achewood's funniest lines are from friday facts. Life's complicated!

It's kind of like how it's easier/quicker to read the strip than the blogs but the blogs are nevertheless awesome.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
I'm honestly weirded out by getting decent achewoods again.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Azathoth256 posted:

I'm honestly weirded out by getting decent achewoods again.
This too shall pass.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zereth posted:

This too shall pass.

But what if it doesn't, and we continue getting semi-decent to good (but not great) Achewoods every Friday from now on, forever, even after Chris Onstad died, with no explanation

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

grading essays nude posted:

Pete's internal discontent is expressed in that strip, and explains why Rod doesn't stay at Pat's much.

In one of his blog posts Pete complains of sneezing fits, and suspects Rod for unbalancing his humors. I like to think Pat and Rod mutually agreed that maybe their relationship would best continue away from his vicinity after that, unless they wanted to spice it up with a different kind of relationship.

What? Oh. A death relationship.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pakled posted:

But what if it doesn't, and we continue getting semi-decent to good (but not great) Achewoods every Friday from now on, forever, even after Chris Onstad died, with no explanation
Well then I'd be wrong.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dr Dracula posted:

It's kind of like how it's easier/quicker to read the strip than the blogs but the blogs are nevertheless awesome.

Ray and Lyle's Cowboy Office, never forget

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Ray and Lyle's Cowboy Office, never forget

teodor posted:

So he came over for lunch today, Friday, because he wanted to "shoot the shattle" about what to do for his big regular Friday night party. We always have beer when he comes over, because he likes that I get tall 160z cans of Oranjeboom at Trader Joe's. (He says they make him feel like "that guy from Oasis.") It's kind of a thing. Anyhow, I made Galaxy Nachos (a clever recipe of Roast Beef's, can be found in the Achewood cookbook) to go with the crisp lager. While they were baking and we were talking he actually got a plate and a fork and stood by the oven. I'm not even sure he knew he was doing this, because when I pointed out that the table was already set he looked around for a second, real concerned, and then slapped his forehead and laughed. I guess he'd smoked a little before he came over, and when I offered to freshen his buzz he took me up in a heartbeat.

We went into my room and I packed one for him. It's funny - even though the door was shut, Lyle sensed the unsmoked marijuana and let himself in. I let myself out before they lit up because I'm going out to dinner with my Aunt Brezna and she has a dead-on sense for when someone's the slightest bit altered. Before long they were taking turns filling up the chamber and getting rowdy. I swear, whenever those two get near a bottle or a bong it turns into a contest to see who can max the other guy out. While I finished up the food I could hear macho exhortations coming down the hall, like Ray shouting "Can you pull it, sucker? Can you pull it off?!" or Lyle coughing really hard and then victoriously shouting "LYYYYYYYLLLLLLLE!" at the top of his lungs.

Needless to say, they crept out of the room like a couple of secret geniuses and inhaled the entire cookie-sheet's worth of nachos in about a minute and a half. Then Lyle grabbed the six-pack of Oranjeboom off the counter, handed three of them to Ray, and in unison they both yelled "BRADY BUUUNCH!" before shotgunning the whole set. Lyle then said something about "wanting to break most of the rocks in the backyard to see if any were geodes" and Ray thought that was incredible, so they found an old mallet in the garage and spent the next ten minutes hitting rocks.

After I had cleaned up the dishes I noticed it was kind of quiet, so I looked outside, only to find them both passed out on the grass in the shade under the lemon tree. They had taped this little cardboard sign that said "COWBOY OFFICE" to the trunk, and Ray was wearing a pair of red cowboy boots that he hadn't been wearing when he showed up.

As of 3:15 they were still asleep, so I called Dimitri from the beverage distributorship and just had him put a couple kegs and a case of Ketel One handles on Ray's tab for tonight, and hired Buffalo Wing-a-Ding to come cater with their slaws and biscuits and things. It took all of six minutes, but I was kind of annoyed at having to do it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I really like the idea of Ray's friday night parties. I like to think that if I had any amount of money at all that's the kind of thing I would do with it. I guess in real life it would get old pretty fast.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

And for the last decade I have not been able to pass by the Oranjeboom at TJ's without smiling and thinking about "the guy from Oasis."

I am shocked that I never attempted the Brady Bunch.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

RandomFerret posted:

I really like the idea of Ray's friday night parties. I like to think that if I had any amount of money at all that's the kind of thing I would do with it. I guess in real life it would get old pretty fast.
It fits the theme of music mogul. The parties happen on time with an ocean of gin, but the memorable parties involve a tank of perfect blue water.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The most recent strip with the hair argument is the funniest one in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
:siren: New strip is up. :siren:

Beef did nothing wrong, here. The only way he could have handled it better is by not showing up at all.