Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

thepokey posted:

And there's always the "ha ha Hawthorn haven't won a premiership since last year!" Joke, but people forget Hawthorn haven't won a premiership in September since 2014!

Still think they're going to be the team to beat this year. When Hodge and Buddy is back I can just see them firing at the right time and a 4th is probably more likely than not.

I think the grand final is going to be in October this year, so the drought looks to continue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Umpiring is fukt

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

thepokey posted:

And there's always the "ha ha Hawthorn haven't won a premiership since last year!" Joke, but people forget Hawthorn haven't won a premiership in September since 2014!

Still think they're going to be the team to beat this year. When Hodge and Buddy is back I can just see them firing at the right time and a 4th is probably more likely than not.

I can't wait for buddy's return

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

thepokey posted:

Roughead, don't you mean?

After last week I was bit worried the glue wasn't working with the "bottom six" players, aside from that third quarter, today was a bit better.

It's a bit early days, though. Sydney should improve this year, they petered out at the end last season because of too many injuries but if they stay fit, they'll be a threat. Next week's game with Footscray should be really interesting, too, just to see how far they've come along.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I was happy with the newbies today. Sicily still looked hesitant with the ball but affected a tonne of contests, O'Rourke looked really good until the last quarter and Howe looked decent. I'd still like Hartung to be less of a turnover machine but I guess he's got a while until Hill comes back.

Frawley excellent again too.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Oh yeah, I mean Roughy. Same thing, they're key forwards who kick goals. When you don't have any of those yourself it's easy to get the ones who do it mixed up or something I guess!

Mind you, they probably will get Buddy back in a trade that also helps Fyfe get to the club to chase that elusive premiership he ain't winning under Ross.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Footy a bunch of hosed bullshit

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

Footy a bunch of hosed bullshit

Footy's ok

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

spamman posted:

I was happy with the newbies today. Sicily still looked hesitant with the ball but affected a tonne of contests, O'Rourke looked really good until the last quarter and Howe looked decent. I'd still like Hartung to be less of a turnover machine but I guess he's got a while until Hill comes back.

Frawley excellent again too.

Billy is way better than Hilly.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

realbez posted:

Billy is way better than Hilly.

He is so far off Hill in every aspect of the same position they play I can't even begin to describe.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

NTRabbit posted:

If Sydney holds on I'll get 3 in the tipping this week :shepicide:

You tipped against Adelaide so you deserve this.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Two games on this evening and no trains to cranbourne/pakenham for 25 minutes. G loving g Metro.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I'll update my poo poo I'm watching IYATO first

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

spamman posted:

He is so far off Hill in every aspect of the same position they play I can't even begin to describe.

I don't now how to feel about this post. Hill was -terrible- last year. He looked like a player with zero confidence in every game he played. By contrast Hartung is just as fast, is harder at the ball, actually lays tackles and gets rid of it when he needs to. Hill, confident, is a very good player, but he doesn't seem to be any better of disposing of it than Billy.

Edit: and Hill has never had a physical presence.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Chairchucker posted:

You tipped against Adelaide so you deserve this.

I vastly underestimated just how terrible Port are

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
4/9 this round, oof

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

realbez posted:

I don't now how to feel about this post. Hill was -terrible- last year. He looked like a player with zero confidence in every game he played. By contrast Hartung is just as fast, is harder at the ball, actually lays tackles and gets rid of it when he needs to. Hill, confident, is a very good player, but he doesn't seem to be any better of disposing of it than Billy.

I watched a lot of Hawks games live last year and completely agree with this, I was surprised Hill was picked week after week.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Spedman forgot to submit tips and got 4. Seemed like an actually decent tactic this week.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Cheers to the Dees for out Richmonding Richmond this round.

Should we start an AFL related Wrestlemania thread tomorrow?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Chairchucker posted:

Spedman forgot to submit tips and got 4. Seemed like an actually decent tactic this week.
Like what I said, I tipped all away teams except Freo. :negative:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

The Deadly Hume posted:

I'll update my poo poo I'm watching IYATO first

Good-taste haver right here. Best show currently on television in Australia.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
this is the first time i've recorded my tips and i only got 4 out of 9 :downs:

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
5/9... somehow. lol that the best anybody in the comp got was 6/9 and that was only 2 people

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

I'm loving around a bit with the styles and turning poo poo into diamonds, whether this makes sense I don't know.

code:
Round 3
Fri Apr 08 1950 at ADO : PAD  863 vs ESS  577 PAD by  41 (111 -  70)
Sat Apr 09 1345 at MCG : STK  597 vs COL  881 COL by  28 ( 78 - 106)
Sat Apr 09 1410 at DCK : RIC  959 vs ADE 1023 RIC by   6 ( 91 -  85)
Sat Apr 09 1635 at SCG : SYD 1125 vs GWS  809 SYD by  32 ( 98 -  66)
Sat Apr 09 1925 at CAR : GCO  709 vs CAR  560 GCO by  27 (110 -  83)
Sat Apr 09 1940 at SUB : WCE 1167 vs FRE  880 WCE by  29 ( 96 -  67)
Sun Apr 10 1310 at BEL : NME  899 vs MEL  631 NME by  27 (101 -  74)
Sun Apr 10 1520 at DCK : WBD 1065 vs HAW 1246 HAW by  18 ( 78 -  96)
Sun Apr 10 1640 at KAR : GEE  968 vs BRL  523 GEE by  56 (121 -  65)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Can't believe this wasn't paid, besides the fact that Fisher had an arm around Boyd's waist the other Saint cannoned in making front on contact with eyes only for taking out Boyd which is a free every day of the week.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Cry me a river. Jesus christ.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Periphery posted:

Cry me a river. Jesus christ.

If it was done to Riewoldt he would have been crying to the umpires for the entire game

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

pkid posted:

Cheers to the Dees for out Richmonding Richmond this round.

There's crumbling under pressure and then there's crumbling under the shortest odds of the round to win pressure

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

How do you come up with your Attacking/Defensive ratings?

Grumio fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 3, 2016

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

realbez posted:

Brad Hill runs better patterns than Billy, draws defenders out of zones better than Billy, averages two tackles a game (Billy 1.2), absolutely is harder at the contest than Billy (not that he really needs to be and not that that means much), doesn't completely poo poo himself under pressure to dispose of the ball, doesn't turn it over anywhere near as much, doesn't abort forward movements anywhere near as often as Billy and most importantly had 25 goal assists to Billy's 7 last year in only four more games. Additionally the 1% numbers last year were 21-8. That is off of a quick glance at AFL tables, there are many more stats out there. Granted, Billy was sub in a few games, but the per minute numbers bear up too.

They are by and large gut running midfielders/wingers. The most important thing they can do is create offensive chances and run back on defense to try and bust up a counter attack. Hartung will bomb it to a nothing spot where a kick won't be deemed ineffective but won't actually create a goal. Hill will find a target inside 50. Hartung will constantly handball to a teammate about to be hit, Hill will release them into space and then run on for a receive. This isn't a knock on Hartung. He's young as all hell and still has a lot of improvement.

Hill had a slightly down middle/late part of the season (after being one of our best in the early/mid part of the season). It happens. He's just an infinitely more effective player in our system.

Edit: There was a play against Geelong that summed up my thoughts on Hartung right now (and it happened a few times). In the middle of the fourth quarter, Birchall had the ball on the D50 where he had Litherland short slightly covered by a Geelong defender and Billy inside Geelong defender on the point of the square. Behind the Geelong defender covering Litherland there was a vast open space. Billy was stagnant for 5 seconds, then made a half hearted lead to the wing which Birchall tried to hit. The Geelong defender covering Litherland rotated onto Billy and turned the ball over in the one on one leading to a direct turnover and goal. The fans in the crowd who were yelling at Birchall to "kick it already" then lambasted Birchall for turning it over. If Hartung just makes an early hard lead, he forces that Geelong defender to make a decision and gives Birchall an easy pass to whomever the defender doesn't choose. It's this kind of poo poo that Hill does that Hartung doesn't. Maybe by the end of the year he will, but he sure as hell doesn't now.

spamman fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 3, 2016

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Grumio posted:

How do you come up with your Attacking/Defensive ratings?
To begin each season:
Take the weighted* ladder, get the average points for and points against for each team and subtracted from the average score for the year.

By weighting, I mean adjusting the points for/against so I halve the scores in matches where two teams play twice in the season and divide the revised points for and against numbers by 17.

The second set of figures is what you'd get if you just pulled numbers straight from the ladder and divided it by 22 (or 21 in the case of Adelaide and Geelong). Doing the adjustments doesn't make a huge difference, but enough of a difference that it's worthwhile.
code:
       Weighted      Unweighted
      PF/G   PA/G    PF/G   PA/G
FRE   82.9   68.8    84.4   71.1
WCE  104.0   68.2   105.9   71.5
HAW  111.5   69.6   111.5   70.4
SYD   89.7   70.6    91.2   71.7
RIC   86.1   71.4    87.7   71.3
WBD   94.0   80.1    95.5   83.0
ADE   98.0   86.1   100.3   86.7
NME   93.5   91.4    93.7   88.0
PAD   90.8   84.1    91.0   85.2
GEE   90.6   84.3    88.2   87.3
GWS   81.8   88.6    85.1   86.0
COL   90.3   83.7    89.6   84.4
MEL   71.2   92.2    71.5   92.9
STK   76.3  102.5    77.0   98.3
ESS   72.7   98.3    71.8   97.0
GCO   73.9  100.9    74.2  101.8
BRL   68.8  103.4    70.8  104.8
CAR   72.3  104.1    69.3  107.0
As far as after each match goes, I explained this in the last post.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Chairchucker posted:

I realised on Saturday sometime I forgot, then figured I would only make them worse by actively participating.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Testekill posted:

Can't believe this wasn't paid, besides the fact that Fisher had an arm around Boyd's waist the other Saint cannoned in making front on contact with eyes only for taking out Boyd which is a free every day of the week.

Shut up you pedant. The Doggies won by a million points, one missed free kick means gently caress all

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Boyd also got at least one goal from a nonsense free kick. Better things to worry about.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Watching us infringe the one milion dollar spud into kicking 3 was the worst part of last night.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

I remember when Buddy lost a tooth in Tassie while also getting a push in the back at the same time from another defender and not getting a free. Think it was Hudghton and Fisher that time.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Pretty sure it was Zac Dawson that took out Buddy's tooth.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

pkid posted:

Should we start an AFL related Wrestlemania thread tomorrow?

Roman Reigns is Hawthorn? Who is Essendon? RVD? Scott Hall? Anyone with roid gut? Bray Wyatt is Richmond?

e: Iron Sheik is the AFL general public. I want Sheiky Baby to start calling people flogs

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

boy undead posted:

Pretty sure it was Zac Dawson that took out Buddy's tooth.

That spud cant take a mark but does that? Typical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Hawthorn is John cena. Older fans are sick to death of him but can't not respect his work, and he shifts a fuckton of kids merch.

• Locked thread