Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was just badly edited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Timeless Appeal posted:

See I don't think that's right either. Lovecraftian Gods are alien and incomprehensible. Darkseid is very much comprehensible. He's literally the worst in us. He's the part of us that just doesn't hate, but wants to hate because it's easier. What defines Darkseid is that he is built around hatred of will that is not his own. He seeks Anti-Life for the sake of having no thought or will besides his own. And there is a reason that he seeks Anti-Life on Earth, because that desire is sadly human.

I don't think Kirby was being particularly subtle when he named the character Darkseid.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I guess I'll spoil this, Reign of the Superman is dope as hell and Steel is a character who would really work with some of the themes they're working with.

I like Steel and some stupid part of me gently hopes that the way Lex birthed Doomsday will eventually lead to Superboy (as if comic book movies haven't made it clear that sidekicks will not be tolerated, especially in the DCU). It'd be a lie to say that story wasn't a mess though.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I don't think Kirby was being particularly subtle when he named the character Darkseid.
Darkseid--like a lot of Kirby's stuff--is nuance over subtlety.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

It was just badly edited.

Yeah, but that's just a catch-all way to describe what's inherently bad about how the film was pieced together. I want to understand why the editing bad, personally. Because that'd be closure for a feeling I couldn't shake when I left the theater, haha.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

teagone posted:

Well then I guess Jay is a liar! That was a part of their review, how almost all scenes start with like a closeup. I need one more screening to fully digest this movie I think.

No they just were not paying attention. Most, if not all of them do.

They like a lot of people completely forget certain things like how they and many others say "Well why didnt Bruce just steal the Kryptonite from the research park in the first place instead of having a destructive car chase!". Well for one, a lil character named Superman interrupted that chase and forced Bruce to track the Kryptonite to where it was being taken. He had no idea where it was going or if hed even be able to steal it from where it was being taken, so he doesnt go right away. Plus he doesnt even go to steal it until hes driven by desperation after the Capitol bombing.

Like there are flaws in this movie but, just like MoS, so much criticism comes from people literally forgetting or ignoring what actually happens in the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because Zack Snyder wanted to make an 3 hour R-Rated Batman and Superman film.

And that ain't ever gonna fly.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

To be fair, he didn't want to make it R-rated. It just happened that the movie he made was not PG-13 appropriate. A(n un)happy accident!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He wanted to make it fairly dark, at least. Which isn't an outright terrible thing, but he does have a hard time nailing that PG-13.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

AccountSupervisor posted:

No they just were not paying attention. Most, if not all of them do.

They like a lot of people completely forget certain things like how they and many others say "Well why didnt Bruce just steal the Kryptonite from the research park in the first place instead of having a destructive car chase!". Well for one, a lil character named Superman interrupted that chase and forced Bruce to track the Kryptonite to where it was being taken. He had no idea where it was going or if hed even be able to steal it from where it was being taken, so he doesnt go right away. Plus he doesnt even go to steal it until hes driven by desperation after the Capitol bombing.

Like there are flaws in this movie but, just like MoS, so much criticism comes from people literally forgetting or ignoring what actually happens in the movie.

That could easily be reworked in a way so you don't have the car chase attempted hijacking undermined by stealing the drat thing offscreen.

But Snyder included both presumably because he wanted:

A) A kickass action scene involving the unstoppable Batmobile that caps of with the collision of immovable Superman
B) Show just what a lunatic Batman had become

I mean, yeah there's a decent explanation for what's going on in the film, but the reason that happens is because that's the way the script was written. Would there really be anything lost if Batman gets away with the Kryptonite from the truck instead of stealing it off screen two scenes later?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

He wanted to make it fairly dark, at least. Which isn't an outright terrible thing, but he does have a hard time nailing that PG-13.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Snyder would have to aim right at the middle of PG to make a movie that doesn't have to be cut down to get PG-13. I was surprised to learn that Man of Steel was not the first movie he made that was PG-13 (if you can believe it, Sucker Punch was released as PG-13, but was in a similar situation as BvS where they had to cut it down to get that rating), but it's the only movie he made that was PG-13 without having to cut anything.

Can the man help it if the violence he films is brutal? He has his thing, he does it well.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sucker Punch might be one of the darkest PG-13 films I've ever seen. I think the only source of levity in that film is when it just goes loving nuts and giant robots come out and fight people. The guy just has a weird dark mind he cannot control.

Someone needs to give him a hug or something.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CelticPredator posted:

It would've flown with me.

You can always fly with me, Zack.

(but they're probably not gonna let you anymore after this box office weekend :smith:)

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Here's something I noticed on second viewing:

Kryptonian ship is spewing lightning, Diana Prince watches it on TV while wearing an amazing dress in a lounge? Lobby? Whatever.

Superman's Mom is kidnapped, he is dealing with Lex on top of the building. Diana Prince looks to be at home in her comfy clothes watching videos of metahumans.

Doomsday starts causing a ruckus, Diana Prince watches it from the TV in the seat in first class on a jet, then leaves the airplane.

So what's up with that. I may have gotten EXACT scenes a little jumbled, but the gist of it is... Why is Diana Prince bouncing around from being out to being at home to being on a jet all within like an hour?

Also I liked it better on the second viewing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I kind of pegged that as probably a hotel suite of some sort.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

broken clock opsec posted:

I kind of pegged that as probably a hotel suite of some sort.

Good observation, I hadn't considered that. But I still think her timeline of events got screwed up during editing and/or the cutting floor.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GORDON posted:

So what's up with that. I may have gotten EXACT scenes a little jumbled, but the gist of it is... Why is Diana Prince bouncing around from being out to being at home to being on a jet all within like an hour?

Also I liked it better on the second viewing.

Actually didn't notice this myself (good catch btw) but my guess based on the scenes you're describing is that Diana went from her hotel room to catching a quick flight after being spooked by Bruce discovering her secret.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

GORDON posted:

Good observation, I hadn't considered that. But I still think her timeline of events got screwed up during editing and/or the cutting floor.

Nah shes in her hotel room cleaning her self up for something and then boards a plane (the something) and then sees whats happening so decides to stay and fight.

Only alternative I can think of is she was just cleaning herself up but then decided to leave Metropolis once she saw in the email that Bruce knew who she was so she hopped on a flight.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

GORDON posted:

It was clear enough I thought. Diana is on her way home/to her hotel room, on the way up she sees the poo poo going down in Metropolis in the lobby. Heads on up to her room/apartment/whatever changes/showers/etc., sees email from Bruce that says he found out her secret. Diana then has a look on her face like "oh poo poo", and then proceeds to dig deeper into the cracked files seeing all the other metahumans. While it's not until the end of the film that we realize she walked away from humanity 100 years ago, we can assume that after seeing all of Luthor's research, and Wayne finding out who she is, that she'd rather not deal with all that crap, like she's always been doing. So she packs up her poo poo and gets a flight back to Turkey (assuming this, since she boards a Turkish airlines plane). She again sees all the poo poo going down in Metropolis, and decides that she can't turn her back and look the other way anymore.

Her primary motivation of wanting her photo back is kind of a weak plot point for her inclusion, but the film had way bigger issues than that for me to care. Also, Gal Gadot was great so I can easily look past any minor plot flubs surrounding her.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

teagone posted:

Her primary motivation of wanting her photo back is kind of a weak plot point for her inclusion, but the film had way bigger issues than that for me to care. Also, Gal Gadot was great so I can easily look past any minor plot flubs surrounding her.

I don't think it's literally getting the picture back right, more that she knows that Lex has obtained the picture probably and she wants to figure out exactly how much he knows about her and what he plans to do with that info. Then like you said she figured out he is gathering info on people with special abilities and doesn't want to be involved with that poo poo.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 3, 2016

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I mentioned this in one of the other threads, but I sort of wished they'd had Affleck as Lex Luthor, instead, and pushed a lot of the Bruce/Batman stuff onto him. He sort of feels like he could have been a natural modern comics Lex.

Casting Bruce Wayne then as a sort of goof in the public who becomes a stone cold monster as Batman could work, too.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 3, 2016

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

With Jesse Eisenberg as Batman then, right? Sounds good.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Ape Agitator posted:

I've got no awareness of the comic scene these days. By what vehicle does Spider-Man earn his living that he's wealthy now? My, and I assume the public's perception, is that he's on a photojournalist's salary.

This was already answered that he is now a big time tech mogul, but I thought it was worth mentioning that he gets there in a pretty hilarious way.

Basically a dying Doctor Octopus swaps minds with Spidey at the last second with no one the wiser, and after realizing that Peter Parker's life is a complete disaster decides to become the "superior" Spider-Man.

He proceeds to fix all of Parker's problems in about a week by going back to school to finish his PHD program, getting a real job befitting of Otto and Parker's intellect, solving the constant Mary Jane drama by dumping her, and making his Super Hero patrols much more efficient by creating a system to automatically notify emergency services about run-of-the-mill crises, which allowed cops and firefighters to actually do their jobs and left Spider-Man free to focus on powered criminals.

When Parker regains control he suddenly inherits a prestigious degree and burgeoning company through no effort of his own, though he does have to explain to all his Super-friends why he's been a raging rear end in a top hat to everyone for the past few months.

I highly recommend reading the Superior Spider-Man run, it wasn't super long and provided a really entertaining look at the character.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Y'all are good on the spoiler tags now, I think everyone who cares about spoilers has seen it at this point (besides me).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

This was already answered that he is now a big time tech mogul, but I thought it was worth mentioning that he gets there in a pretty hilarious way.

Basically a dying Doctor Octopus swaps minds with Spidey at the last second with no one the wiser, and after realizing that Peter Parker's life is a complete disaster decides to become the "superior" Spider-Man.

He proceeds to fix all of Parker's problems in about a week by going back to school to finish his PHD program, getting a real job befitting of Otto and Parker's intellect, solving the constant Mary Jane drama by dumping her, and making his Super Hero patrols much more efficient by creating a system to automatically notify emergency services about run-of-the-mill crises, which allowed cops and firefighters to actually do their jobs and left Spider-Man free to focus on powered criminals.

When Parker regains control he suddenly inherits a prestigious degree and burgeoning company through no effort of his own, though he does have to explain to all his Super-friends why he's been a raging rear end in a top hat to everyone for the past few months.

I highly recommend reading the Superior Spider-Man run, it wasn't super long and provided a really entertaining look at the character.

That sounds really interesting, but then it also makes it sound like our Peter Parker sucks. Does the story go back around to why Peter should be Spidey and why Doc Ock doesn't work in a fulfilling way?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SonicRulez posted:

That sounds really interesting, but then it also makes it sound like our Peter Parker sucks. Does the story go back around to why Peter should be Spidey and why Doc Ock doesn't work in a fulfilling way?

Blah blah blah heroism blah blah blah strong will blah blah blah mind ghosts

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

SonicRulez posted:

Amazing enough a fat gross old man that spent most of his free time committing petty crime is ultimately sort of a loser. But for some reason they keep letting him write Spider-man.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

SonicRulez posted:

I think it depends on who you ask, I'm not a big Spider-Man fan or regular reader of those comics, but I thought it wrapped up fine.

Essentially, Goblin comes back on the scene, and as devious as Ock is, Norman Osborn is worse. From behind the scenes Goblin figures out how to use most of Ocks tech shortcuts against him, undermining his work as Spider-Man and ultimately kidnapping Ock's new love interest. In the process of trying to save her Ock realizes that he can't beat Osborn, and that the quality that made Peter Parker the "superior" Spider-Man was his willingness for self-sacrifice for the good of others. Ock ultimately cedes control of the body back to Parker, sacrificing his own consciousness so that Parker can save everyone.

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 3, 2016

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
"The dignitiy of knowing I never carried a man-purse."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
On the King Arthur imagery:

In Excalibur, Arthur is impaled on the spear, and pulls himself closer to kill Mordred. The context of this battle, however, is that Mordred is both Arthur's son and nephew. Arthur's sister (a witch) disguised herself as Guinevere and tricked Arthur into loving her - giving birth to this monster Mordred soon after.

Subtextually, Doomsday is not just a reflection of Superman but the illegitimate son that Superman never knew about - hence the thematic link between the bathtub scene and the birthing pool.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BlackJosh posted:

Also who the gently caress calls their Mom, that they apparently are super close to and love, by their first name?

I took it more as the way people call their step parents by their real names since, technically, Martha isn't Clark's "real" mother.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I honestly don't understand the critcism about Snyder "hating" the source material. BvS is the most comic book movie I've seen, hammy, dominated with rule of cool and fully embracing the inherent silliness of superhero stories.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I took it more as the way people call their step parents by their real names since, technically, Martha isn't Clark's "real" mother.

I am fairly sure someone who is adopted as a literal infant and raised not knowing they are adopted who has onscreen called her "mom" and her husband "Dad" does not think of them as step-parents and it is really lovely to claim that is at all normal or expected.

Like you might not have meant it that way but that argument is straight-up "you're adopted so they're not your real parents" bullshit.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

PJOmega posted:

"The dignitiy of knowing I never carried a man-purse."

It's you.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Bat-boot to Cavill's neck makes his delivery hilarious.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Regarding the Batmobile chase, I wonder how much of its inclusion was WB demanding an action scene for the Batmobile to placate Bat-junkies and so they could sell toys.

I can't wait for a Justice League scene where Bruce has to clarify that he's not a killer by trade, he was just confused about Superman's moral compass and had to be 100% sure he was a good guy before the Bat-M.O. could be restored to its status quo.
"Even the goons in the kryptonite chase?"
"Had to die. Again, world at stake."

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

I am fairly sure someone who is adopted as a literal infant and raised not knowing they are adopted who has onscreen called her "mom" and her husband "Dad" does not think of them as step-parents and it is really lovely to claim that is at all normal or expected.

Like you might not have meant it that way but that argument is straight-up "you're adopted so they're not your real parents" bullshit.

Well, I'll be a fellow archdemon with that dude and point out that Superman actually does feel that way, partially, according to Man Of Steel.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Watched the movie finally the other day.

It is a drat good movie. There's some weird editing stuff going on, one in particular is that whenever a new character enters the scene by talking, the camera NEVER shows them. Their voice always comes from off screen and then they either walk into the shot or the camera might turn to them. It was kind of distracting for a bit.

I loved the straight up Catwoman reference Bruce drops to Diana, surprised no one has commented on that before now.

Lex is fantastic. For most of the movie he's just an unpleasant, sociopath who is so utterly convinced of his own world view that he cannot possibly deviate from it.

But the very end- the jump to the jail would be very, very weird if it wasn't for the fact that we know what actually happened. He finally met His God. His God that makes everything make sense to him.

And it shattered him. His God is his father, is the all powerful all evil entity he always knew existed, and he can't do a thing about it.

I loved the Parademon designs too- I wasn't too keen on the shot of them from the trailer, but getting a better look at them as they help hold Batman down made them work a lot better in my opinion.

Really curious what's going to be going on with the Flash later, and if he did change the timeline with his jump.

Just a really goddamn good movie.

And yeah, again, the entire point of Batman is that he never even considers Superman human. He doesn't ever try to put together who he actually is because to him that's a lie.

Clark, on the other hand, regretted how he acted towards Bats the one time they interacted, and flat out admits he was wrong. He tries to apologize and even refer to Batman as Bruce.

He also notably does not seriously try to fight back until after being Gassed, which is a good detail. Not once in the fight did he really want to kill Bruce or seriously try to, otherwise he would have busted out the laser eyes.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

Burkion posted:

And yeah, again, the entire point of Batman is that he never even considers Superman human. He doesn't ever try to put together who he actually is because to him that's a lie.
"He who allows the alien to live shares in the crime of its existence." :commissar:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In Excalibur, Arthur is impaled on the spear, and pulls himself closer to kill Mordred. The context of this battle, however, is that Mordred is both Arthur's son and nephew. Arthur's sister (a witch) disguised herself as Guinevere and tricked Arthur into loving her - giving birth to this monster Mordred soon after.

Subtextually, Doomsday is not just a reflection of Superman but the illegitimate son that Superman never knew about - hence the thematic link between the bathtub scene and the birthing pool.

But Superman's DNA didn't factor into the creation of Doomsday at all. It was Lex and Zod. And Zod's older than Clark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So what's Superman's transgression that's equivalent to Arthur's incest? Thinking of himself as human? Loving Lois? Killing Zod in the first place?

• Locked thread