Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I watched that season finale for Rebels. My head hurts and I really don't want anything more to do with Star Wars television if that's what I have to put up with. It was annoying enough with The Clone Wars increasingly going off the rails near the end. At least I was right that the new "official" material is no less fan wank than the old EU.

What was your problem with it? I mean the saber-copters were eye-roll inducingly stupid, and I've always been annoyed that they brought Maul back. But overall I thought it was pretty good for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are the deleted scenes for TFA going to be on the DVD or just the Blu-Ray? I've seen mixed reports.

From what I understand there isn't a standalone dvd release, just the bluray/dvd combo.

I could be wrong, but that is all that has been shipped to my store.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Much like how Episode III didn't get a VHS release, Episode IX won't get a DVD release. Blu-Ray is the future.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

What was your problem with it? I mean the saber-copters were eye-roll inducingly stupid, and I've always been annoyed that they brought Maul back. But overall I thought it was pretty good for the most part.

There's been rumours going around that the next season of Rebels could well be the last, and the finale for this season was the beginning of the board-clearing they've been instructed to do for Rogue One (because the world they're creating in Rebels is different from what's envisioned for Rogue One - apparently, the guy who wrote the first draft of that movie's screenplay is being added to the writing team for the third season of Rebels, which could lend credence to that theory).

I've enjoyed Rebels as its own thing but there is one problem I have with it - I'm not a huge fan of the idea of the Jedi being there at the start of the Rebellion and being active in it, because I feel like that undermines Luke to an extent.

Carteret posted:

From what I understand there isn't a standalone dvd release, just the bluray/dvd combo.

I could be wrong, but that is all that has been shipped to my store.

I see. Well, I pre-ordered the DVD on Amazon UK and it seems to be its own thing there, but I pre-ordered it pretty much immediately when it was announced. :shrug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've enjoyed Rebels bit it hasn't really lived up to Clone Wars. It would kind of suck if it got killed off so early as I've really liked having a serialized Star Wars story running on tv.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Liam Neeson, Ewan MacGregor, Ian McDiarmid, Christopher Lee for the five minutes he appeared, and even Temeura Morrison I thought were all very strong actors in the PT, especially for the roles some of them had. McDiarmid in particular is I think the biggest reason I still enjoy ROTS, he was great in every scene.

Casimir Radon posted:

I've enjoyed Rebels bit it hasn't really lived up to Clone Wars. It would kind of suck if it got killed off so early as I've really liked having a serialized Star Wars story running on tv.

The rumor about Rebels ending after another season includes that Disney wants to replace it with a post-ROTJ animated show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

I've got no problem with the Inquisitors, and I'm happy that they weren't stupid enough to make Barriss into the Mirialan Inquisitor. But stuff like Maul being alive (come on, it's not a spoiler spider legs) is just baffling. And why Malachor? That planet that exploded twice? I'm also not a fan of the art style and animation, as it looks really cheap coming off of The Clone Wars's crazy level of detail (later seasons, mind you). The show just does not appeal to me, and throwing all that poo poo into a blender doesn't make it better. Darth Vader needs to fight his apprentice! But we can't kill her off definitively, so leave it vague! Darth Maul is still alive and wants revenge against Sidious and Vader!

It seriously reads and views like fanfiction, which is kind of ironic because that was their main reason for dumping the old EU. They're doing the same drat thing and not doing it much better.

Honestly, I'd just wish we left the Dark Times period altogether. A post Return of the Jedi show I wouldn't have a problem with. I like a bunch of the EU stories from that time period, but I also really like Force Awakens and I'd want to see more of their new vision. Just stop making your "new" vision half basked rehashes of old EU material.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 3, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

The rumor about Rebels ending after another season includes that Disney wants to replace it with a post-ROTJ animated show.
Well that's good at least.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm also not a fan of the art style and animation, as it looks really cheap coming off of The Clone Wars's crazy level of detail (later seasons, mind you).

It generally looks fine to me except for Ezra, who (as I have mentioned before in this very thread) looks like he's made of loving Lego.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

It generally looks fine to me except for Ezra, who (as I have mentioned before in this very thread) looks like he's made of loving Lego.

There is just no definition to anybody's faces. Ezra has no loving lips, and those that do look like the lips from the wife monster in Pink Floyd's The Wall. Everything looks so flat.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Chairman Capone posted:

Pablo Hildago called that out as a BS internet rumor.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
The real reason TPM is the best of the prequels is because it gave us rocket chariots, setting the stage for a potential future spinoff movie that's a cross between Ben Hur and The Fast and the Furious.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

There is just no definition to anybody's faces. Ezra has no loving lips, and those that do look like the lips from the wife monster in Pink Floyd's The Wall. Everything looks so flat.

Right, though for whatever reason it only voters me with Ezra. I'm not sure why.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Flagrant Abuse posted:

The real reason TPM is the best of the prequels is because it gave us rocket chariots, setting the stage for a potential future spinoff movie that's a cross between Ben Hur and The Fast and the Furious.

I hope so! I definitely hope the anthology films are more along the lines of expounding on cool things we only heard or caught a glimpse of in the main series rather than endlessly origin stories of characters we already know. Looks like Rogue One is more the former and young Han Solo will be the later.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If they're intent on doing Boba Fett movies, I think the John Wagner comics from the late 1990s would be as good a template as any to follow. You know, like "Enemy of the Empire", where he actually does a bit of detective work in his bounty hunting rather than just shooting his way through an army of thugs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just adapt Twin Engines of Destruction.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I hope so! I definitely hope the anthology films are more along the lines of expounding on cool things we only heard or caught a glimpse of in the main series rather than endlessly origin stories of characters we already know. Looks like Rogue One is more the former and young Han Solo will be the later.

I forget who it was; but didn't someone at the Star Wars-y branch of Disney said something to the effect of "a Han Solo film wouldn't necessarily be an 'origin' story, but just a tale of something that happened earlier in his life"?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

jivjov posted:

I forget who it was; but didn't someone at the Star Wars-y branch of Disney said something to the effect of "a Han Solo film wouldn't necessarily be an 'origin' story, but just a tale of something that happened earlier in his life"?

The obvious place to start is Han rescuing Chewbacca, I think. Nobody wants to watch Han without Chewie. Since the film will have to tie up Han's backstory neatly they'll probably include the sabacc game with Lando for the Falcon, too.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Why?

Why does it have to tie up Han's backstory?

It doesn't. It could be Han and Chewie, any one of a number of adventures in their illustrious smuggling career.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Strobe posted:

Why?

Why does it have to tie up Han's backstory?

It doesn't. It could be Han and Chewie, any one of a number of adventures in their illustrious smuggling career.

I guess I should have been clearer. I personally don't think that it needs to at all and a random adventure would be great. I'm just not expecting the people that make the film to agree with that.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I haven't read those Boba Fett comics but I think the recent film that should be looked at when making the Boba Fett film should be Dredd. Basically a day in the life scenario that gets a little out of hand, and give him some sort female unlikely ally/n00b/twilek dancer with a heart of gold character to play off of. Also like Dredd, Boba Fett shouldn't remove his mask during the film.

Im fearful that the Boba Fett movie will end up being Boba Fett V Han Solo: Dawn of Carbonite though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or just judge dredd: dredd vs fett

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hate the idea of a Han Solo movie. Han played by anyone other than Harrison Ford doesn’t work for me, even if they side step the origin story pitfall.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If the story takes place when Han is young enough, I don't think I'd notice too much. I love Harrison Ford but his heart's never really been in the Han role except for Empire. I'd have a much bigger issue with them recasting Indiana Jones. That's not even a character, that's just Ford wearing a fedora.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If the story takes place when Han is young enough, I don't think I'd notice too much. I love Harrison Ford but his heart's never really been in the Han role except for Empire. I'd have a much bigger issue with them recasting Indiana Jones. That's not even a character, that's just Ford wearing a fedora.

Hey now, Sean Patrick Flanery was a good young Jones.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I haven't read those Boba Fett comics but I think the recent film that should be looked at when making the Boba Fett film should be Dredd. .

They were written and illustrated by dudes who also did Dredd/ 2000AD comics, so that's a good comparison.

Also, if they get Alden Ehrenreich to play Han in the movie, I'll be happy. He was charming as gently caress in Hail Caesar

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was holding out for Scott Eastwood, but he didn't make the final cut, sadly

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Heads up; Tales from a Galaxy Far Far Away does come out on Tuesday, same day as the Episode VII bluray

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now, the deleted scenes. Are they integrated into the movie, or are they just a special feature?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Now, the deleted scenes. Are they integrated into the movie, or are they just a special feature?
Just a special feature I'd imagine. I've read about a few of them and they'd almost certainly gently caress up the pacing.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

Heads up; Tales from a Galaxy Far Far Away does come out on Tuesday, same day as the Episode VII bluray

I was interested from the title but it appears to be a book for 8-12 demographic, which is mildly disappointing. The other Tales from books were more aimed at adult readers. Would love to see a Tales from Maz Kanatas bar like they had a Tales from mos eisley cantina book in the 90s. Guess I will just wait for Bloodlines to get more TFA background info.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Guess I will just wait for Bloodlines to get more TFA background info.

I wouldn't count on getting too much direct background stuff from it, the author has said that she wrote the book before seeing TFA. Although the one thing she was told ahead of time for it was that Kylo Ren = Ben Solo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Authors writing without peer review to make everything fit together nicely? Whatever happened to their efforts to make the new eu more consistent?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Authors writing without peer review to make everything fit together nicely? Whatever happened to their efforts to make the new eu more consistent?

The Story Group is still in charge of the whole thing.

Re: bloodlines, I'm glad we won't be seeing too many links forward to TFA. I want to see Leia's journey, not just a straight line from RotJ to TFA

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The story group is still in charge of everything, but I think it's becoming clearer that they're a lot less hands-on and more supervisory than we were originally led to believe. In the same interview, Claudia Gray talked about how she wasn't given any guidance or background unless she specifically asked for something. Some of the other authors have said similar things.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So in other words it's going to be a clusterfuck of conflicting ideas, just like the old material.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Literally in this case, given the old continuity supervisors and editors are in the story group.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

The Story Group is still in charge of the whole thing.

Re: bloodlines, I'm glad we won't be seeing too many links forward to TFA. I want to see Leia's journey, not just a straight line from RotJ to TFA

I just want some much needed political background to flesh out why there is a resistance and why the New Republic wasn't doing more to fight The First Order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Erik Bauersfeld who voiced Admiral Ackbar has died, age 93.

EDIT: Also: http://imgur.com/gallery/t3lk4L3

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 5, 2016