Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Somebody on the Echo subreddit got creative.

:psyduck:

Yeah and I saw where some people are using the dot in their car, too. :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mikemil828 posted:

Because like I said there is no point in answering the question. If the 25% of responses you've gotten that are valid haven't convinced you to dump google now and go with the Echo, then there isn't any point in elaborating any further.

I think you've let your experience with bad posters color your thoughts too much.

I mean what are you even saying here? "The 4 (or whatever) interesting things you've learned so far are enough, decide now!"

I mean, I'm certainly more interested in the Echo now than before, so when you say it's not a question worth answering, I think you're just being a Wrong Poster.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

hotsauce posted:

Yeah and I saw where some people are using the dot in their car, too. :newlol:

My car has USB to power it, and bluetooth to sync it, but I guess you need a phone with wifi shared to use it?

Does the tap work if you have a cell plan without hotspot? Like can it work over bluetooth to talk to amazon or something?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

My car has USB to power it, and bluetooth to sync it, but I guess you need a phone with wifi shared to use it?

Does the tap work if you have a cell plan without hotspot? Like can it work over bluetooth to talk to amazon or something?

I don't think it would work on anything but wifi. And you'd have to set your phones SSID and password to be identical to your home since you can't set it up otherwise.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 3, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BigFactory posted:

If her only experience right now is talking to your phone in your pocket than I can understand why she doesn't have any interest. I think it's a little different when it's a really simple kitchen appliance. I don't know why it's different, it just is. There's very few other ways to interact with this device, and talking to it works very naturally and seems kinda normal.

My mom was the same way. She normally hates any type of new technology thing but, after my dad saw my echo and bought one, she took to it like a duck to water. Granted it's just as a kitchen timer and a way to play a local radio station but, for someone who would rather watch OTA reruns instead of using the Fire TV I bought them, it's a pretty big step.

Thermopyle posted:

I think you've let your experience with bad posters color your thoughts too much.

I mean what are you even saying here? "The 4 (or whatever) interesting things you've learned so far are enough, decide now!"

I mean, I'm certainly more interested in the Echo now than before, so when you say it's not a question worth answering, I think you're just being a Wrong Poster.

I kinda get his point if you were a random rear end in a top hat instead of a mod. If I went into the Blu-Ray thread and went 'hey guys, i'm thinking about buying into blu-ray but why should i when i already have my favorite movies on dvd?' and, after everybody replies with what they think, I go 'eh, none of that sounds very compelling'. Where do you go from there? Either it's not for me or I'm trying to get a rise out of people.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
We got the mother in law (widowed) an Echo for Christmas. She's enamored with it. It actually gives her "company" since she's alone. Pretty cool IMO.

Has an iPhone. Never used Siri and has no interest in doing so. Amazon is doing it right for a lot of use cases. Sure if your Android device works, but for the ordinary person, Echo is the correct solution.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hotsauce posted:

We got the mother in law (widowed) an Echo for Christmas. She's enamored with it. It actually gives her "company" since she's alone. Pretty cool IMO.

Has an iPhone. Never used Siri and has no interest in doing so. Amazon is doing it right for a lot of use cases. Sure if your Android device works, but for the ordinary person, Echo is the correct solution.

My parents are the same way. They have iPhones and know about Siri but never think to use it except as a novelty thing every once in a while. The echo forces you to use voice so it just becomes how you interact with the device.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just discovered I can say "Alexa, play Radio Suisse Classique" and it knows what I'm talking about (courtesy of TuneIn). It also can do All Things Considered and Morning Edition. (Shut up, she explained.) This is handy, because I live in a hilly area that gets terrible FM reception. Dot set up in sitting room, Alexa now in bedroom. Livin' the dream.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is there any way to control Pandora on Echo other than voice? I have a station called "Jazz Instrumentals Radio" that I like, but every time I ask for it, she offers to make a new station called "Smooth Jazz Instrumentals". When something like this happens with Spotify I can just open the app and control it from there, but as far as I can tell there's no way to do that with Pandora.

I've tried the new station and it's not as good. :(

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Use the Alexa app on your phone. I have forgotten the details, but I've controlled Pandora through that app before.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

This weekend we decided to do an impromptu movie date to give our new babysitter a test run. My wife wanted to know what was playing and showtimes. I'm sure there's an "official" way to do it, but I just tried, "Alexa what movies are playing in Strongsville?" She hit the exact theater we wanted and listed showtimes as well.

Echo isn't a necessity. It's just loving cool.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Does anyone know how to control the bitrate on Spotify Echo Edition? Im just trying to turn on the 320kbps streaming.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Use the Alexa app on your phone. I have forgotten the details, but I've controlled Pandora through that app before.

Nah, that just gives me play/pause/next track, but doesn't have any controls for selecting a specific playlist.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Huh. I just said "Alexa, play Counting Stars Radio on Pandora", and it worked fine. Furthermore, in the app it opened a card on Home called "Pandora Station" that had a menu item "Browse statements from Pandora". That menu item let me choose any of my other statements.

Alexa and I have had our first disagreement. I moved my Echo to the bedroom when I got a Dot. Then we had a power failure and Alexa rebooted and said "Hello" at 3AM. I dropped a note to support, and they said they'd add a feature request to have a "Do not disturb" period.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'm not sure if I've already asked here or not, but: I have a pair of speakers that i currently use with my computer and I'd like to use the same speakers with a Dot. What would I need to buy in order to accomplish this? Justt a headphone splitter like this?

edit: just thought about this and I am retarded.

edit 2: Still retarded, possibly. I could just get this, right?

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Male-Female-inch/dp/B000I98ZYG

At that point, I can plug my speakers into the female port and then both my computer and the Dot can connect to the male ones. This should work fine, yeah?

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 6, 2016

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'm not sure if I've already asked here or not, but: I have a pair of speakers that i currently use with my computer and I'd like to use the same speakers with a Dot. What would I need to buy in order to accomplish this? Justt a headphone splitter like this?

edit: just thought about this and I am retarded.

edit 2: Still retarded, possibly. I could just get this, right?

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Male-Female-inch/dp/B000I98ZYG

At that point, I can plug my speakers into the female port and then both my computer and the Dot can connect to the male ones. This should work fine, yeah?

Depends largely on how your speakers connect to your PC... could you elaborate on that?

Edit: Oops, I didn't read your last sentence properly. I understand what you mean now... two male connectors (to plug into the PC & Dot) and one female (for the speakers to plug into). The one you linked to should definitely do the trick.

jassa fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 6, 2016

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I got my wife a Dot for a late birthday present. We put it in our bedroom and she loves it. My five year old saw mommy talking to it in our bedroom, and he knows that we can't normally do that, so he looked around and saw the Dot.

He calls it, "Alexa's baby."

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

In case anyone wanted to sell their Echo or Dot. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771274&perpage=40

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Having Alexa in the bedroom just came in really handy. I woke up with a migraine and had a contractor coming to the house later. I took medication, said "Alexa, set an alarm for 9:30," and went back to sleep. I didn't really have the concentration to pull out my phone and program in a new alarm; being able to just say a sentence and go back to sleep was great.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Having Alexa in the bedroom just came in really handy. I woke up with a migraine and had a contractor coming to the house later. I took medication, said "Alexa, set an alarm for 9:30," and went back to sleep. I didn't really have the concentration to pull out my phone and program in a new alarm; being able to just say a sentence and go back to sleep was great.

I plan on using my Dot just to say everyday stuff. Like, "Alexa, what's in the news today?" or "Play _____ on Spotify" since I can just use Siri for the above example since my phone is laying next to me whenever I sleep.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, I use it like that all the time. I also love being able to adjust the light levels from bed, especially when I'm sick.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I got my Echo Dot, but a problem I'm having is that sound is only coming from the left speaker. Any way to fix this?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

I got my Echo Dot, but a problem I'm having is that sound is only coming from the left speaker. Any way to fix this?

I had this same problem and I just didn't plug the speaker cord in all the way. So yeah, make sure the plug is all the way into the Dot.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Taima posted:

I had this same problem and I just didn't plug the speaker cord in all the way. So yeah, make sure the plug is all the way into the Dot.

Let's pretend I never asked and this response didn't solve my issue. (Thanks!)

But now I have another issue. I got my splitter and the splitter itself does its job, but it produces some gnarly static when I plug in both the Echo Dot and the computer to the speaker output thing. It works just as an extender with no noticeable issues when I only plug in one, but when the other is attached, that's where the problems arise.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

LODGE NORTH posted:

Let's pretend I never asked and this response didn't solve my issue. (Thanks!)

But now I have another issue. I got my splitter and the splitter itself does its job, but it produces some gnarly static when I plug in both the Echo Dot and the computer to the speaker output thing. It works just as an extender with no noticeable issues when I only plug in one, but when the other is attached, that's where the problems arise.

I did some research on that awhile back and most people were saying you'd need a mixer to run the audio through. (so something like http://smile.amazon.com/Behringer-M...&keywords=mixer but not that exact one since it only outputs in mono)

- edit Maybe this one would work for you http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/597819-REG/Rolls_MX22S_MX22s_Mini_Mix.html

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 9, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

That's because headphone splitter is meant to take audio from one source and split it to two outputs, and you're using it for the opposite. I guess you can technically use a splitter like that from two sources to one monitor, but when both sources are on you're technically connecting them together, and they aren't designed for that; you should expect weird things to occur such as whining/static/interference/etc. Also, if you bought the one in that Amazon link then note a lot of reviewers complain of static/interference anyway.

So yeah, you generally need a receiver to do what you want to do here. If you have a really nice set of speakers this might be a viable route; connect them to your PC, Dot, and TV via a receiver. If they're not that great to begin with, maybe connect them to the Dot and get a nice headset for the PC.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Atomizer posted:

That's because headphone splitter is meant to take audio from one source and split it to two outputs, and you're using it for the opposite. I guess you can technically use a splitter like that from two sources to one monitor, but when both sources are on you're technically connecting them together, and they aren't designed for that; you should expect weird things to occur such as whining/static/interference/etc. Also, if you bought the one in that Amazon link then note a lot of reviewers complain of static/interference anyway.

So yeah, you generally need a receiver to do what you want to do here. If you have a really nice set of speakers this might be a viable route; connect them to your PC, Dot, and TV via a receiver. If they're not that great to begin with, maybe connect them to the Dot and get a nice headset for the PC.

Wouldn't the splitter be 2 female and 1 male were that the case?

I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-3-5mm-Splitter-Female/dp/B00EA8QUTS?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_xDTbxbGBEF4QP

I asked mostly because my issue seems to only be present when it's with the Echo. I don't have the problem if I plug in my phone and computer, for example. But with the Echo...

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Wouldn't the splitter be 2 female and 1 male were that the case?

I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-3-5mm-Splitter-Female/dp/B00EA8QUTS?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_xDTbxbGBEF4QP

I asked mostly because my issue seems to only be present when it's with the Echo. I don't have the problem if I plug in my phone and computer, for example. But with the Echo...

You can find all sorts of cables and connectors; that doesn't mean they're standard (see: USB "extension" cables,) will work the way you'd like, or are well-made.

The Y-cable you bought may kinda work, but again, an audio receiver is explicitly designed to do what you want to do here.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Or even just a switch. He doesn't need amplification, right?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Figured it out.

Having my Echo powered through a USB port on my computer/external USB hub resulted in static. Hooking it up to an outlet eliminated the issue.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I use a Rolls Mini Mixer for this exact purpose:

http://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX42-Stereo-Mini-Mixer/dp/B00102ZN40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460477998&sr=8-1&keywords=rolls+mixer

Look in the Used section and you can get a Like New, fulfilled by Amazon version for about $38.

Just be careful because a mixer can attenuate the signal (as in, it will dampen the volume, and so you'll want some kind of amplification on your setup, whether that is powered speakers, or what have you.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Amazon has the Echo is on sale (today only) for 15% off. Looking at picking one up and joining the fun.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Also worth mentioning that the Philips Hue Lux 1st generation (w/ hub and 2 white light bulbs) is down to $47.34 - Good deal if you're looking to get into smart bulbs at a cheap price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00POYCO42...1119b7614505849

I just got mine in and they're way cooler than I thought they would be. Set up was dead simple. Can control them from my tablet, Echo and Fire TV. It's responds instantly. You can easily dim them. Haven't messed around with scenes and alarms yet but I already want to get some more bulbs and rig up more of my house.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 19, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Call Me Charlie posted:

Also worth mentioning that the Philips Hue Lux 1st generation (w/ hub and 2 white light bulbs) is down to $47.34 - Good deal if you're looking to get into smart bulbs at a cheap price.

I just got mine in and they're way cooler than I thought they would be. Set up was dead simple. Can control them from my tablet, Echo and Fire TV. It's responds instantly. You can easily dim them. Haven't messed around with scenes and alarms yet but I already want to get some more bulbs and rig up more of my house.

How significant are the differences between the 2nd generation Hub and the 1st?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

Those lights are such a rabbit hole. I got the color changing starter kit on a whim a few months ago. Now I have 20 plus 3 light strips + 3 white ones for outdoors. They are so cool.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How significant are the differences between the 2nd generation Hub and the 1st?

Only thing I could find is that the 2nd gen hub added Apple Homekit support.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Going to give that a try. I like that the additional bulbs are $30 for two which is somewhat reasonable.

I bought the Belkin switched plug thing but haven't figure out where to hook it up yet. Probably should have returned it but too late.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
gently caress hue.

Bought them for my bedroom last weekend. That was 7 lights and one bridge.

After a few Home Depot trips after I'm up to 30 lights in less than a week. gently caress hue.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

gently caress hue.

Bought them for my bedroom last weekend. That was 7 lights and one bridge.

After a few Home Depot trips after I'm up to 30 lights in less than a week. gently caress hue.

Hahah, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you have Hue and watch either 12 Monkeys or The Expanse on Syfy, make sure you download the Syfy Sync app and sync up your lights to the show. It's amazingly immersive. I wish more shows would do it.

It was also a great laugh on Sharknado 3. Every light turned red every time someone got eaten.