Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think a compromise would be to only add names to jumpers when the player has recieved a nickname. This is pretty drat australian and also would satisfy the apparent need to alienate people new to the sport.

Like Lance Franklin's would just say "Buddy", Ballantyne's would just be grawlix, Hodgey's would say "Good Bloke" etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

Which one is you TG?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

redweird posted:

I think a compromise would be to only add names to jumpers when the player has recieved a nickname. This is pretty drat australian and also would satisfy the apparent need to alienate people new to the sport.

Like Lance Franklin's would just say "Buddy", Ballantyne's would just be grawlix, Hodgey's would say "Good Bloke" etc etc

Wrasslin promoter Vince McMahon already did it.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

redweird posted:

When Jumpers have the names of club legends subtly printed on them, Hodge's is just a list of his victims.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

pkid posted:

Which one is you TG?

I'm the one in the pink shorts giving the kids a copy of my best selling shitposts

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

redweird posted:

Didn't they do this for first few T20 internationals and some of the players had nicknames no-one ever calls them by.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Nicknames are a terrible idea because I'm sure there are inter-club ones that no one's ever heard in the media.

Also Aussie nicknames are routinely terrible and are just last names with a y on the end.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Nicknames are a terrible idea because I'm sure there are inter-club ones that no one's ever heard in the media.

Also Aussie nicknames are routinely terrible and are just last names with a y on the end.

Shoosh, MysticalMachineGuny

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Speaking of nicknames. What's the origin of Buddah Hocking? The first one I mean because Heath gets called that too and I assume it's of Whisk, eh, Gary but don't think I ever found out why he got that one in the first place

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
i sure wonder how john longmire got his nickname, and it certainly isnt weird at all hearing people call him by it in the media

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

thepokey posted:

Speaking of nicknames. What's the origin of Buddah Hocking? The first one I mean because Heath gets called that too and I assume it's of Whisk, eh, Gary but don't think I ever found out why he got that one in the first place
INTERNET KNOWS ALL
https://web.archive.org/web/20090718123612/http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/07/15/84715_gfc.html

quote:

Hocking picked up his nickname 'Buddha' a long time before he arrived at the club. His father called him that after coming home and seeing his son sitting in a chair watching TV.

"I was a fat kid when I was young. Mum (Pam) had these porcelain Buddhas sitting around the place. I resembled them, and it just stuck," Hocking said.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

the best nickname in the league is tyson 'moneybags' goldsack

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I believe Garry Hocking was a fat kid. Buddha is a really common nickname though so I think there must be some universal thing that I'm not getting.

Nicknames are good to a point, but in general I think shortened or just casualized names are the way to go. For instance Bartel having Jimmy on his back would be very Australian and most casuals would still immediately get who he is and when he's being referred to by commentators. But his nickname around the club is Nudge, which is super obscure and would put off everyone.

EDIT: Beaten like a fat kid chasing down a loose ball

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Does Cow Dude have any nickname aside from Cow Dude?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hiddenmovement posted:

Nicknames are good to a point, but in general I think shortened or just casualized names are the way to go. For instance Bartel having Jimmy on his back would be very Australian and most casuals would still immediately get who he is and when he's being referred to by commentators. But his nickname around the club is Nudge, which is super obscure and would put off everyone.

A bunch of school groups do the "VCE/HSC/Whatever the gently caress Queensland, WA and SA do! Congrats!" shirt thing. A bunch of them let the person buying the shirt pick what goes on the back. I'm sure it means something to all the people in that school who are friends but, as a guy riding the bus home from Uni, they all look like colossal fuckwits.

It is a terrible idea. Last names or nothing.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Schlesische posted:

A bunch of school groups do the "VCE/HSC/Whatever the gently caress Queensland, WA and SA do! Congrats!" shirt thing. A bunch of them let the person buying the shirt pick what goes on the back. I'm sure it means something to all the people in that school who are friends but, as a guy riding the bus home from Uni, they all look like colossal fuckwits.

It is a terrible idea. Last names or nothing.
I think I was amongst the first years to get into the HSC rugby tops. I decided against getting any of my nicknames because they were kind of dumb (poo poo, I didn't even have the year put on the back because it was embroidered on the front anyway).

I'm surprised they're still a thing, actually, it seemed like a very 90s idea.

Oh and the art teacher also did a very cool design for a t-shirt but it got vetoed by the higher-ups because it depicted them as POW camp commandants.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Deadly Hume posted:

Does Cow Dude have any nickname aside from Cow Dude?

foif.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

FIFO

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

redweird posted:

Adelaide did this on their warmup tops I think last year, maybe the year before. Not sure if we're still doing it, I missed the pregame on the weekend.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Nicknames on jumpers? I'm not having 36 players with variations of oval office, muppet, clown, etc would help the casuals tell the players apart.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

The most Western Australian nickname

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Sup Knackers?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Just got a mental image of Lynch running around in the mid 2000s with 'Ol Brickhands' written on his back

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

A few big names out for Port this week, could be a competitive game :getin:

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah we could honestly lose this game, I've been to both games so far and we've looked completely out classed in both.

Don't know whats happened with Polec, he had 5 touches the entire game last week and rarely contested the ball, just jogged without effort to each contest and resulted in an easy mark for the other team. It says something when Jaspar Pittard is one of your best players on the day..

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Cloud the Cat posted:

Yeah we could honestly lose this game, I've been to both games so far and we've looked completely out classed in both.

Don't know whats happened with Polec, he had 5 touches the entire game last week and rarely contested the ball, just jogged without effort to each contest and resulted in an easy mark for the other team. It says something when Jaspar Pittard is one of your best players on the day..

Who is that in your avatar all I can see is Max Rooke

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I thought it was Andrew bogut

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If you put nicknames on guernseys, you've got to extend the tail of Ben McEvoy's guernsey, get rid of the number and print with the largest font size possible. Maybe throw BT's face in there somewhere.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Shmoses posted:

Who is that in your avatar all I can see is Max Rooke

It's Ricky Rubio the most adorable NBA player ever.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

It's Ricky Rubio the most adorable NBA player ever.

Yep :allears: . Just making sure I'm on the Timberwolves band wagon early ;)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Biggs & Hunter have both re-signed with the Bulldogs; Biggs expires in 2018 & Hunter in 2019

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
im sticking to my guns and never tipping port this season. i feel even better about it now that wingard is out

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Ricky Nixon is a oval office news: The courts have let him publish his book.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/ricky-nixon-gets-green-light-to-publish-tellall-book-20160407-go0gi1

This isn't huge news, but the thing that got me was his quote.

"I feel that I gave something to football, a lot to football, and contributed to some of the success of the game,"

What a colossal arse-stain.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
i feel like tipping adelaide is the one thing which could cause Good Richmond to actually turn up this weekend

anyway i'm excited because the dees are playing a season game in tassie at the same time as i've been living here for the first time ever this weekend so i'm going to go watch my team lose from just down the road from my parents house instead of flying to melbourne to see them lose like i normally have to

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Ricky Nixon is a oval office news: The courts have let him publish his book.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/ricky-nixon-gets-green-light-to-publish-tellall-book-20160407-go0gi1

This isn't huge news, but the thing that got me was his quote.

"I feel that I gave something to football, a lot to football, and contributed to some of the success of the game,"

What a colossal arse-stain.

Toot toot.

Im sure it would have interesting excerpts (if you can believe them) but fuuuuuuck paying for that poo poo.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Steal one.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Another Port player has been ruled out for tomorrow. Maybe they figure Daniher is going to kick 1.17 and they can rest their defenders.

Also Zaharakis said he didn't know if Watson would be back at Essendon next year, to the delight of the clickbait generators.

And apparently Travis Colyer has started or is about to start or someone thinks he's about to start negotiations with Essendon about next year.

Tayte Pears is allegedly almost finished the fire brigade selection process and most likely won't be playing next year.

The last two are big footy rumours so take with a pinch of salt.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 7, 2016

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

gay picnic defence posted:

Another Port player has been ruled out for tomorrow. Maybe they figure Daniher is going to kick 1.17 and they can rest their defenders.

they rested their defenders last week too

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

So after being completely outplayed by Essendon the Dees have elected to swing the axe and drop... Garland and Brayshaw. Really sending a message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

snaeksikn posted:

they rested their defenders last week too

It just makes it easier when we inevitably lose to Essendon... "but we have THIS MANY injuries so really it's understandable".

• Locked thread