Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

paul_soccer10 posted:

windows 10 literally has zero advantages over windows 7

virtual desktops are nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ok it started the upgrade while my computer was sleeping lol.....RIGHT BEFORE A BIG DEADLINE!!!!!!! Wtf.............

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Pawn 17 posted:

Here's a cool powershell script (not mine, but compiled from a few sources) for my GBS bros to disable a lot of the Windows 10 tracking and data collection poo poo so you can "stick it to the man" :

code:
    REM This should be run with command prompt as an adminstrator.

After this you should restart then go into the privacy settings in Windows and go through, disabling everything you don't want on.

That's not even powershell script.

Anyway none of that works you need to do it at an actual firewall.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

paul_soccer10 posted:

windows 10 literally has zero advantages over windows 7

it is 3 higher than windows 7, how could you miss that obvious advantage dumbass

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
You can switch back within the first 30 days. That's what I did, and I immediately filled my local drive to capacity with games so that it doesn't have room to reinstall 10.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Pawn 17 posted:

Here's a cool powershell script (not mine, but compiled from a few sources) for my GBS bros to disable a lot of the Windows 10 tracking and data collection poo poo so you can "stick it to the man" :

code:

REM This should be run with command prompt as an adminstrator.
    REM Disable the antivirus and Windows Defender.
    REM This does not fix all privacy issues, you will still need to turn off some.

REM First, block Windows from sending data about you to their servers.

echo ## BEGIN Windows 10 privacy settings ##>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 vortex.data.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 choice.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 df.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 telemetry.appex.bing.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 telemetry.urs.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 survey.watson.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 watson.live.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 watson.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 compatexchange.cloudapp.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 a-0001.a-msedge.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 diagnostics.support.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 corp.sts.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 pre.footprintpredict.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 i1.services.social.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 bingads.microsoft.com>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo 127.0.0.1 [url]www.bingads.microsoft.com[/url]>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    echo ## END Windows 10 privacy settings ##>>%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

REM opt-out of some, but not all, of the privacy settings.
    REM Not all anti-privacy settings have been found.

REM settings -> privacy -> general -> let apps use my ID …
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo\ /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo\ /v Id /f
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AdvertisingInfo\ /v Enabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM settings -> privacy -> general -> let websites provide locally …
    reg add “HKCU\Control Panel\International\User Profile\ /v HttpAcceptLanguageOptOut” /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

REM settings -> privacy -> general -> speech, inking, & typing
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\ /v RestrictImplicitTextCollection /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\ /v RestrictImplicitInkCollection /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\InputPersonalization\TrainedDataStore\ /v HarvestContacts /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Personalization\Settings\ /v AcceptedPrivacyPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Disables web search in the search box
    reg add HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search\ /v BingSearchEnabled /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Block telemetry.
    powershell.exe -command "Get-Service DiagTrack | Set-Service -StartupType Disabled"
    powershell.exe -command "Get-Service dmwappushservice | Set-Service -StartupType Disabled"
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Remove system access to the AutoLogger-Diag-Listener.etl
    REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener\ /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REM Finished. 

After this you should restart then go into the privacy settings in Windows and go through, disabling everything you don't want on.

Computers are so loving lulzy. Win

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

We block all of the data collection stuff at the firewall and also have some of it black holed in the hosts file. I'm too lazy to give you details but if you just google around you can find the list of hosts and ports to block.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpy the Cook posted:

You can switch back within the first 30 days. That's what I did, and I immediately filled my local drive to capacity with games so that it doesn't have room to reinstall 10.

It was annoying enough that they would prompt me to upgrade every time I turned the computer on but making it a mandatory upgrade makes me want to torture someone

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

It was annoying enough that they would prompt me to upgrade every time I turned the computer on but making it a mandatory upgrade makes me want to torture someone

if you just install win 10 it will probably stop asking

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

thats one of the nice features of win 10

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Parallax Scroll posted:

if you just install win 10 it will probably stop asking

I'm gonna drown you in front of your loved ones

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
you stupid assholes should shut the gently caress up

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Applewhite posted:

I dodged windows 8, I'm gonna dodge windows 10.

There are really only three Windows people ever needed. Windows 95, XP, 7.

I actually don't remember using any other Windows before 3.1.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Ha good luck keeping the government out of your computer.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

have you tried linux op? :smug:

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
progress is always good no matter what! lol spyware? sorry im a basic retard dont know what youre talkin about mr. luddite. FOR SCIENCE! BACON! LOL!

- most of the morons in this thread

~fin~

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

dad gay. so what posted:

you stupid assholes should shut the gently caress up

i thought you retired

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Nuclearmonkee posted:

i thought you retired

You must have misheard, he's actually retarded.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

bradzilla posted:

windows 10 is basically a spyware operating system that's why it's free

spend some time disabling all of the tracking and it's fine
using the windows ui itself doesnt actually disable all the tracking

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

If my windows 8.1 has downloaded recent updates is there any real reason for me to try to avoid windows 10 some more or can I be further hosed over still

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

i disabled all the poo poo and removed the updates, but still the windows 10 virus kept managing to install itself. eventually i broke down and reformatted my computer (it needed it anyway, got to clear out the cobwebs). i used an old version of windows 7 from before microsoft even planned windows 10, and i disabled the automatic updates so they can't sneak their bullshit onto my computer any more.

it's been 1 month now and not a windows 10 peep, i think i finally killed it

Why the gently caress has Microsoft gone into such an insane panic on 10?

poo poo, they're killing off all their old OS to force people to upgrade. They even skipped 9.

gently caress Microsoft why can't we have a better OS company?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I hope to jebus it doesnt install itself today, i have a win7 dvd but its a pain in the dick to install because i gotta swap dvd drives

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Applewhite posted:

Same reason why GM is keeping a lid on the lightbulb that never burns out.

they're called LEDs lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

When I downloaded 10 a couple months ago it stopped my iPod from connecting as well as my USB and External Hard Drive

The only thing it would let work was my phone

Also, the windows were ugly, without the aesthetically pleasing curves of my Win 7

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

The Goatfather posted:

only people who haven't upgraded to 10 actually think this

Windows 10 is great if you use Classic Shell with it

That way there's metro tablet bullshit

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Has anyone called microsoft support and asked them how to stop from upgrading?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Rutibex posted:

i disabled all the poo poo and removed the updates, but still the windows 10 virus kept managing to install itself. eventually i broke down and reformatted my computer (it needed it anyway, got to clear out the cobwebs). i used an old version of windows 7 from before microsoft even planned windows 10, and i disabled the automatic updates so they can't sneak their bullshit onto my computer any more.

it's been 1 month now and not a windows 10 peep, i think i finally killed it

enjoy your unpatched, vulnerable system then I guess lol

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Parallax Scroll posted:

have you tried linux op? :smug:

this but unironically. if your really into customizing every single aspect of your computron, check out Arch

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
I have seen this happen to a few other people but haven't had anything about it on my home PC, work PC or laptop.
I have windows update off because I have several apps open editing files or whatever at any time, and the desktops only reboot when there is a power outage.
Will I get windows 10 next time i do a manual update?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I'm switching to ChromeOS. That will show them!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It's funny how Microsoft tried making 10 seem like this awesome deal and they were giving it away like a gift out of their good graces, and now they're taking that "gift" and stuffing it down the throats of everyone who didn't jump on the bandwagon

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

goddammit bill

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
i use windows 10 and it seems fine?? can someone please explain the privacy violation i'm experiencing

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

goddammit bill

cancel button, clearly fake

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

goddammit bill

lol

A ILL BREAKFAST
Jun 9, 2007

*unsheathes katana*

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

i use windows 10 and it seems fine?? can someone please explain the privacy violation i'm experiencing

every device you connect, everything you do, every network you connect to, mac addresses, IMEI (for phones), all your poo poo at all times (at least when you're connected to the internet) is phoning home to microsoft. webcam, microphone, etc can be turned on without you knowing at any time and yeah. its basically spyware the operating system. hope u dont value your privacy

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I installed Windows 10 the day it came out and now my computer is faster and looks nicer and has some useful new features it didn't have before. You guys should try it.

Also we're already seeing software that requires 8 or newer. There's new games coming out that only run on 10. Once DirectX 12 catches on a lot of people are gonna be assed out.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

A ILL BREAKFAST posted:

every device you connect, everything you do, every network you connect to, mac addresses, IMEI (for phones), all your poo poo at all times (at least when you're connected to the internet) is phoning home to microsoft. webcam, microphone, etc can be turned on without you knowing at any time and yeah. its basically spyware the operating system. hope u dont value your privacy

can u be more specific? I'm serious is there like a good technical article written by a security person

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

you can talk to the hot lady from halo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
i didn't see it posted but you can search for gwx control panel windows 10 on google and download a small program that will disable the upgrade and delete all the files for win 10

• Locked thread