Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The better I get at this game the more I like the pilot over the marine, the lockpick mitigates the garbage RNG refusing to give you any keys whatsoever and having a second use item space by default is actually really good if you find some decent items, elder blank + any of the invulnerability items for instance is amazing. The fact his sidearm is garbage isn't such a big deal because if you're stuck using it past the 2nd floor against normal enemies you're probably screwed anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I really think the bosses in this game are cool and well done. I honestly think it's the only aspect of the game that eclipses Nuclear Throne. Unfortunately having played it a bit more, I'm beginning to think it's quite mediocre overall. The gun-play doesn't have a lot of impact. The sound effects are incredibly weak, the enemies are a little too spongy and it never really feels rewarding to me. It's incredibly stingy about giving you items and the core game isn't satisfying enough to where that doesn't matter. The dodge-roll feels cumbersome and I'd much rather it eschewed the bullet hell somewhat, sped the game up and made it about dodging with your own movement. I give it props for some excellent music, great bosses and trying to make the starting characters distinct from each other but so far this is a letdown.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

I love Nuclear Throne and I suspect I will love this.

I was a little wary of it because the screenshots made it look a little like a Nuclear Throne knockoff, but it's legit good in its own right. It's not quite as manic as NT, but feels different enough that it doesn't really matter. Plus kicking over tables for impromptu cover just before a wave of bullets hits you is a good feeling.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shine posted:

I love Nuclear Throne and I suspect I will love this.
Ehhh, don't be so sure. I really liked Nuclear Throne (which did have a few flaws) but I'm not really into this and like god damnit, one more turn I almost had it!! Bosses, some of the weapons, some of the art/design and presentation is cool and all, but the actual gameplay isn't as addicting or fast nor as visceral/oomp-hy as Nuclear Throne. I mean they're slightly different games so maybe this isn't quite what I wanted/expected but it falls just a little short of being really good in a death by a thousand mediocre paper cuts sort of way.

Basically what this guy said.

Ghost Head posted:

I really think the bosses in this game are cool and well done. I honestly think it's the only aspect of the game that eclipses Nuclear Throne. Unfortunately having played it a bit more, I'm beginning to think it's quite mediocre overall. The gun-play doesn't have a lot of impact. The sound effects are incredibly weak, the enemies are a little too spongy and it never really feels rewarding to me. It's incredibly stingy about giving you items and the core game isn't satisfying enough to where that doesn't matter. The dodge-roll feels cumbersome and I'd much rather it eschewed the bullet hell somewhat, sped the game up and made it about dodging with your own movement. I give it props for some excellent music, great bosses and trying to make the starting characters distinct from each other but so far this is a letdown.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God dammit :negative:

My second time playing and I got killed by a wall, all because it didn't register at the time that I should just dodge roll over to the other side to get past the wave of bullets.

Rip

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Ghost Head posted:

I pretty much agree. I wish the guns had a little more oomph to them. It isn't because I want the game to be easier because I sucked at NT but I felt like even the starting weapons felt powerful. Most of the guns I've gotten in this game so far feel like little pea shooters and you plunk away at the bosses health for 5 minutes before taking them down. This game seems to be more about outlasting your enemies than blowing them away with some cool weapon. I lost a game where I was fighting with the Balrog boss for 2 to 3 minutes. I had 5 different guns, none of them really doing poo poo. Now I can barely muster the energy to trudge through the first couple floors again. I'd love if they boosted the enemy damage as well as my own just to speed the game up a little bit.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I'm bad at twin-stick shooters and this game is amazing. I ended up with a crystal assault rifle that shot light at an amazing rate and shredded bosses but because I suck I keep dying on the second floor.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The secret to doing well is to get the Proton Pack and Double Vision

Seriously

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

SuicideSnowman posted:

I pretty much agree. I wish the guns had a little more oomph to them. It isn't because I want the game to be easier because I sucked at NT but I felt like even the starting weapons felt powerful. Most of the guns I've gotten in this game so far feel like little pea shooters and you plunk away at the bosses health for 5 minutes before taking them down. This game seems to be more about outlasting your enemies than blowing them away with some cool weapon. I lost a game where I was fighting with the Balrog boss for 2 to 3 minutes. I had 5 different guns, none of them really doing poo poo. Now I can barely muster the energy to trudge through the first couple floors again. I'd love if they boosted the enemy damage as well as my own just to speed the game up a little bit.

Yeah attrition seems to be a pretty big part of the way it plays and it really feels like the exact wrong type of game for that. I was hoping for the same thing you were. Blowing poo poo away with a cool weapon.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone managed to beat (spoilers)This Guy yet? I've had a few shots at him now, but every time I reach The Abbey, I get the worst luck with drops, and end up going up against the boss with 1 heart and no ammo.

Edit: Also, I'm enjoying this as much, if not more, than Nuclear Throne at the moment, for what it's worth. I think it's tuned just fine, even if some of the more powerful weapons seem to be hidden behind various unlocks.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 7, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ghost Head posted:

Yeah attrition seems to be a pretty big part of the way it plays and it really feels like the exact wrong type of game for that. I was hoping for the same thing you were. Blowing poo poo away with a cool weapon.

The attrition war on boss fights works for me, some of the bullet patterns are really really fun to dodge through and given the significant rewards for not getting hit during a boss fight that's definitely a big focus of the design. Running around plinking away at normal enemies on floor 1 with your starting weapon is already starting to get old but poo poo I can't say anything different about the first couple levels of BoI or NT (which I love regardless)

(although I'm suspicious..... Maybe it's in my head but I would not be surprised if there's a hidden mechanic that makes the game start off a little harder as you unlock more poo poo and progress more. Basically the "Everything Is Terrible!" unlock from Binding of Isaac but it happens progressively and the game doesn't tell you about it. I swear that I'm seeing "out of depth" enemies on Floor 1 now who never ever appeared my first couple runs through the game)

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I found a gun that shoots anvils? It's about as strong as you'd guess. Also the person who mentioned the stinger before was right, this thing is even better than just plain bees.

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone managed to beat (spoilers)This Guy yet? I've had a few shots at him now, but every time I reach The Abbey, I get the worst luck with drops, and end up going up against the boss with 1 heart and no ammo.

Edit: Also, I'm enjoying this as much, if not more, than Nuclear Throne at the moment, for what it's worth. I think it's tuned just fine, even if some of the more powerful weapons seem to be hidden behind various unlocks.

I beat him on my first try, it doesn't seem to lead to any more secret levels, just an unlock. Though for all I know there's an unlock for it with every character, I'm not certain how that stuff works yet.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ghost Head posted:

This game feels like some sort of send-up of what Psikyo and Cave have been doing for the last twenty years, right down to the bullet patterns; I saw one of the bosses throwing out Progear-style homing bombs that you do NOT want to shoot.

I like it, I like my shmups filled with bullets and attrition :shobon:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I agree that the game is a bit too stingy with keys/silver money pickups but I still like it a lot.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Nighthand posted:

Here's how I beat Treadnaught without taking damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9T1tvcx82g

All I really had that mattered to the fight was the meatboy gun and the passive that makes you shoot behind you as well. Best run I've had so far.

I also just beat the treadnaught without taking damage but with the Eye of the Beholster.

For those still wondering about the game, after putting many hours into it, it's definitely a harder Binding of Isaac but replace item synergies with guns (there's item synergies in gungeon but I rarely notice them or get them).

If you prefer Nuclear Throne over Isaac, I'd watch some complete runs of Gungeon before putting down $14. Gungeon has clicked with me for now, but a few hours ago I couldn't help thinking NT was more fun with me because you're blowing away enemies.

Nuclear Throne vs. Gungeon is kinda sorta an apples to oranges thing. Whereas I feel Gungeon vs. Isaac is apples to apples.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 7, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I feel the opposite way in that regard to be honest, I'm probably never going to play Nuclear Throne again because I like this game that much better. The dodge roll is something Nuclear Throne seriously could use.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
If you complete the level skip elevator and use it, does the game give you a better starting loadout? I can't imagine skippings floors 1 and 2 for example because the difficulty spike is so high in floor 3+ and I couldn't even imagine how much harder it would be with just the starting weapons.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lakbay posted:

If you complete the level skip elevator and use it, does the game give you a better starting loadout? I can't imagine skippings floors 1 and 2 for example because the difficulty spike is so high in floor 3+ and I couldn't even imagine how much harder it would be with just the starting weapons.

I don't know yet and hopefully will be able to report back tonight. I've heard that there are unique item unlocks for building the level skip elevators though so there's a reason to do so even if you never take advantage of them. But yeah I can't imagine even wanting to skip level 1, at this point I basically never die on it and it's just "free" resources . I guess the same sort of applied to the shortcuts you could unlock on Spelunky, they were more useful for just practicing on later areas so you could stand a better chance at them for when you do a "real" run and I guess you could also argue that here

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Another thing I don't like about this game the most is that you can pretty much perfect the first floor and still go into the first boss with nothing notable. This can happen in Isaac too, but it happens far less, and it's also compensated for by the fact that except maybe The Haunt fighting a first floor Isaac boss with base damage isn't that annoying. I mean, I've flawlessed all 3 first floor bosses with the Pilot's sidearm, so it's possible, but it's a real pain.

You also don't have to worry about not taking damage until floor 2 in Isaac when you have more tools.

I think another big design flaw here is the Hegemony Credit system. On one hand unlocks are way less luck based, but on the other hand Isaac just wants you to try your hardest to progress, and it rewards you for progressing in different ways. Then it gradually peels back the layers as you get better and better, giving you more opportunities. This game instead endeavors to just be a mountain of diamond you sharpen your beak on until the first second of eternity passes.

Lakbay posted:

The wiki says that rat jerk gives you three free guns on the lower floors if you skip to them.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 7, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

Some things I think are bad about this good game:

Lots of minor UI poo poo. Just in general it's kind of ugly and mediocre, there's some bugs in the keybinding menu, there's 3 or 4 different screens to click through to start a game and yes I know there is a quick start key and the fact that there is a loving quick start key lets you know that the people who made this game know there is too much poo poo upfront but they just didn't do anything useful about it.

I think there's a little, not a lot, but just a little too much RNG right now. Maybe/probably I'm just out of it in re: the general state of things having not played very much BoI or NT. But the difficulty of finding a good gun plus the difficulty of getting ammo for it, etc etc, gets to be a bit much and it's all out of your control. I have seen some complaints about the requirement of perfecting a boss to get the extra heart container from it, and I don't agree with those at all, it's within your reasonable control so I think that's a good mechanic. I think it would have been a good idea to split the enormous quantity of guns up among the different characters, so that there is a group they all share and then a group specific to each dude, but a smaller pool of random poo poo for each guy overall. That would also make them feel more different than they do.

My main complaint is that they break the golden rule of bullet hell and bullets that look the same don't act the same. One example is the arrow bullets that sometimes stick to the walls and re-fire, and in other cases don't. The standard looking bullets that everyone shoots have a few different behaviors other than flying in a straight line. It's dumb as hell and a basic sanity rule for the concept of a bullet hell game. I won't even complain about the Gorgun pattern with bullets materializing out of nowhere or other borderline/probably bad poo poo, but the bullet appearance and behavior should always be tied together.

I'm sure there's some other stuff but I think it's mostly a good and fun game.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Yeah if there's one complaint I have it's that you can wind up getting absolutely garbage guns over the first two floors and just be hopelessly screwed. As I unlock more guns though that seems to be happening less as none of the unlock guns so far other seem to have been anything other than at least decent.
Now to try and get a run where I can actually get the bullet piece from the hollow and then survive long enough to have gotten to the forge lady.
Stinger + angry bullets killed the 4 statues boss in about 5 shots which was kind of absurd, bees really are the best weapon in this game.

The fact that enemies also gain hp between floors, roughly 2x hp by the last floor is kind of a weird design decision it feels like to me? It basically just means the bad guns are even less helpful because it just winds up feeling like the first floor peashooter situation all over again.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 7, 2016

breaks
May 12, 2001

Lakbay posted:

I don't think it gave me anything for going to level 2, but I only tried it once so far and haven't completed any of the lower floors yet.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Yeah one thing that sucks is when you get a fun weapon, and so far i had a runs where i got anvil launcher, bees, m1, stinger on the first floor, then you die and have to go back to using that lovely pea shooter boring piece of poo poo and end up doing a run where you get no guns for like 2 levels and sucks the fun right ouf the game. Pretty much every gun besides the starting piece of poo poo is a lot of fun to use. I wish there was the Nuclear Throne equivalent of golden weapons that you can save and start with

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Jsor posted:

Junk is actually very, very slightly useful, because there's a weapon that scales with how much junk you have. That's probably why.

Which weapon? Blunderbuss by any chance? Trash cannon?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If you get electric bullets+the beholdster gun you get lightning arcs between each of your eyeball summons, instead of between your shots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NthbgCNpq4

I'll agree with most of what's been said about this game vs. NT. Despite having really good gamefeel for the most part, sometimes it can be a bit sluggish/slow, and sometimes it can be quite RNG heavy. One of the best things about NT is that enemies(and most bosses) really don't have much HP at all, it doesn't ever take a long time to kill individual enemies. You kill stuff very fast, but also stuff kills you very fast, and later on there's a lot of stuff, so kill speed still matters a lot. Which is why I recorded this-it's something which is tough to do, but it can still be fun to take on a later boss with a wimpy starting weapon like this and it doesn't take forever(which is why I stuck 10 clips together). Since you can get by everything preloop(aka pre postgame content) just fine with starting weapons, weapon RNG doesn't matter as much since you have a long long time where you can wait for better weapons. And on top of that, you're guaranteed at least 1 weapon every floor. No keys or other bullshit required. Gungeon is a game which streamlines a lot of BoI immensely, on top of having better bosses and generally better enemies as well, and for that I like it a lot(a lot more than Isaac), but I wish this whole genre of games would just do away with needing keys to get items. In NT you just open weapon and ammo boxes for free, and it's better off for it. Hell, even when you get into every item room in Isaac/every chest in Gungeon you can still end up underpowered due to getting bad stuff from them, so it really feels like a pointless mechanic-it's not really holding the player back for the sake of balance. Managing keys feels like busywork in all these games to me.

However, all that said: I have put roughly 500 hours of gametime into Nuclear Throne. I have unlocked the b-skins on every character, I have unlocked every crown on every character, I have gotten every single achievement, I have gotten to loop 3, I have been on the top 10 in the dailies repeatedly. I'm burnt out on it and I'm moving on. Gungeon is not as good as NT in my opinion but it's a new, different game that is quite good and that's more than enough for me right now.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

parthenocarpy posted:

Which weapon? Blunderbuss by any chance? Trash cannon?

Trash cannon, which you unlock by visiting the place that practically requires you to break chests and get junk.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

DolphinCop posted:

people who like this game should check out Cryptark. its a procedurally generated derelict spaceship delousing simulator

technically in early access, but it's effectively fully featured already, with a full campaign mode and a pure roguelike mode for people who prefer that

Hadn't heard of this game. I've added it to my watch list, as it looks neat. Have you played it yourself? If so, any opinions on it or stuff that bugs you?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

breaks posted:

My main complaint is that they break the golden rule of bullet hell and bullets that look the same don't act the same. One example is the arrow bullets that sometimes stick to the walls and re-fire, and in other cases don't. The standard looking bullets that everyone shoots have a few different behaviors other than flying in a straight line. It's dumb as hell and a basic sanity rule for the concept of a bullet hell game. I won't even complain about the Gorgun pattern with bullets materializing out of nowhere or other borderline/probably bad poo poo, but the bullet appearance and behavior should always be tied together.

this, a whole hell of a lot of this

sure, there are a few different shapes, but there's a few more colors or effects you can use on bullets other than "enemy red"

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I actually like it when enemy projectiles have uniform color, and I have had no problems with not understanding what bullets were doing thus far.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Angry Bullets + shotgun type weapons are absolutely awesome

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Has anyone figured out what the Ballot does yet?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Getting a bunch of crap guns = bad

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Harlock posted:

Getting a bunch of crap guns = normal

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

parthenocarpy posted:

Has anyone figured out what the Ballot does yet?

Increases the hidden "Coolness" stat which gives you better item drops & makes your usable item cooldowns go down faster. Other items (some weapons, some passives) do the same thing & cigarettes also increase Coolness each time you use them at the cost of health. If you can pump it high enough it's super busted with a good reusable cooldown item like Elder Blank or whatever. Basically anything with a version of the word "cool" somewhere in the item description does this (with the exception of cigarettes where it just says they have "a certain appeal")

edit: off the top of my head I know the passive item Sunglasses boosts it as well as the gun that's not Smiley's Gun (That one gives you a discount at shops, this one's some other dude's gun whose name also starts with S and I think he's Smiley's brother based off of item descriptions)

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 7, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
What does the little green fucktard that climbs the grate in the back of the Merchant room want?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

I AM BRAWW posted:

What does the little green fucktard that climbs the grate in the back of the Merchant room want?

Everything, and he'll give you money for it. You just drop items and he'll drop casings.

I've even heard that you can give him barrels but I couldn't get him to take a water barrel.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

I AM BRAWW posted:

You can drop guns/items (check key configuration) on his grate, and he'll pay you for them.

Edit: Also, found the last resident of the Breach. This lady takes up residence in the room to the right of the entrance, and sells a buff that makes your weapon switch to a random one every 30 seconds or so. Kinda chaotic, but at least you have no ammo problems.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 7, 2016

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I AM BRAWW posted:

He want yo useless fuckin guns like the Derringer and any other shooters you can offload and he pay well too

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Oh my god I was just thinking "this RUBE-adyn prototype and UInfinished gun fuckin suck and are taking up useless space"

thank u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Holy poo poo the 120 casings + 3 keys is super RNG bullshit. I played perfectly with the Pilot floors one and two and I still ended up with only 2 keys and none of the merchants on either floor selling keys :argh: