Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I saw some proper thugged out guy in a lovely car stick his flashers on and burn the road up this morning. Surely all it would take is an iphone and twitted to get this guy in trouble? How are police dealing with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

opus111 posted:

I saw some proper thugged out guy in a lovely car stick his flashers on and burn the road up this morning. Surely all it would take is an iphone and twitted to get this guy in trouble? How are police dealing with this?

It's hard to parse what you're asking here, do you just mean that everyone having cameras would make it harder to have an undercover identity? I guess maybe but it's not like criminals have some sort of batman database that they can just cross reference every time they meet someone new to check if they're a cop. The odds of one person tweeting a picture that would tip anyone relevant off is pretty unlikely.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My post history could put me in the slammer, The Big House.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i cut my hair like elvis in case i get sent to the gaol

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

ArbitraryC posted:

It's hard to parse what you're asking here, do you just mean that everyone having cameras would make it harder to have an undercover identity? I guess maybe but it's not like criminals have some sort of batman database that they can just cross reference every time they meet someone new to check if they're a cop. The odds of one person tweeting a picture that would tip anyone relevant off is pretty unlikely.

hmm I wonder how much crime organizations would pay for aretheyacop.com monthly memberships to view a database of police officer's pictures.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Lol if you think the mindless chatter of the masses conveys any useful information.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

What's the deal with people whipping out their phones and taking pictures of your car after you pull a dickish move? What do they do with the pictures? Is it meant to scare me into thinking they're going to show the police or something? :lol: if they think a cop would give a poo poo. Is it meant to embarass me? They should be the one embarrassed driving 45mph on the highway.

Anyone been the subject or the photographer in these situations. Judgment Free Zone here.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ArbitraryC posted:

Clearly you are not a high ranking criminal or you would know that a database like this exists in the deepweb. All law enforcement officers names and pictures are there, collected by moles or hacked. Whenever a guy rises in the criminal organization, background checks are made against this database. So even if you change your name and background, the badguys can still expose you by comparing your appearance or checking if you live on an adress marked as law enforcement

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I thought this was going to be about how it's probably tougher now that you have to have a social media presence for your u/c identity.

Im sure even dealers have facebook. maybe especially dealers. so it looks weird when joe notacopipromise just joined fb a week ago and has four friends or w/e

drunk dog
Apr 6, 2014

Resident Millennial
holy poo poo op at least take the time to spell your title correctly

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

drunk dog posted:

holy poo poo op at least take the time to spell your title correctly

Phone posting is horrible but sa is blocked at work...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When people see someone breaking minor laws like that their first thought is "someone should report that guy", not "I should report that guy". You have thought this. Everybody has thought this. You won't take a picture of that guy breaking the law and send it to your local PD because that requires looking up how to do it and where to send it, as well as getting potentially involved in the ensuing legislature. It's enough of an inconvenience to you that you, and most people, are not willing to go to the effort even if it's the "right" thing to do, justified by mentally leaving the job for somebody else. That's why the magic of technology does not standardize vigilante tip-based justice, op, because the bystander effect is alive and well in 2016.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

CJacobs posted:

When people see someone breaking minor laws like that their first thought is "someone should report that guy", not "I should report that guy". You have thought this. Everybody has thought this. You won't take a picture of that guy breaking the law and send it to your local PD because that requires looking up how to do it and where to send it, as well as getting potentially involved in the ensuing legislature. It's enough of an inconvenience to you that you, and most people, are not willing to go to the effort even if it's the "right" thing to do.

I've never thought this, what type of mark rear end bitch thought process do you think everybody has?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're lying to yourself if you really believe you haven't thought that :shrug:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

opus111 posted:

I'm confused about what laws you think this guy is breaking here? Maybe being black in your neighborhood or something?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm confused about what laws you think this guy is breaking here? Maybe being black in your neighborhood or something?

????

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Isaac posted:

My post history could put me in the slammer, The Big House.

I dunno why this is so funny to me but it is very funny.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

thug != black, sir. :colbert:

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

He wasnt a thug either. He was clearly an undercover cop. That was my wbole point in the op!!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Luxury Communism posted:

thug != black, sir. :colbert:

Yea right, we all know what the OP was saying. He wouldnt be upset if it was a white guy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

opus111 posted:

He wasnt a thug either. He was clearly an undercover cop. That was my wbole point in the op!!

You said he was thugged out. And I'm just curious what law you think someone should report him for breaking?

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
op never said anything about reporting anyone, it's the weird guy that confessed to thinking about being a snitch 24/7 that brought it up

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

You said he was thugged out. And I'm just curious what law you think someone should report him for breaking?

I think you should read the thread again man.

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
For the retards in this thread:

OP saw a guy that looked like a common "thug" in a lovely car, who then turned on some police lights. Therefore the guy he saw was actually a cop. He is asking the question: with the technology that the masses have today, how is it possible for this guy to maintain his cover?

You're welcome op.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
because you cant browse cops.tumblr.com on burner flip phones, which the hood runs on

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Zzulu posted:

Clearly you are not a high ranking criminal or you would know that a database like this exists in the deepweb. All law enforcement officers names and pictures are there, collected by moles or hacked. Whenever a guy rises in the criminal organization, background checks are made against this database. So even if you change your name and background, the badguys can still expose you by comparing your appearance or checking if you live on an adress marked as law enforcement

I don't know if this is true but it sounds like it will be if it isn't already

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"Enhance". :stare:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the burners don't really help, by the way. i'm a radio guy and i listen to my city cops openly using stingrays to capture drug dealer metadata.

"Pancho just called him, he didn't answer and called Carlos"

"2 minute call to that Tiny guy a few minutes ago"

narcotics got it going ON.

they really are buttfucking everybody's privacy on the daily, no warrants needed and wont even admit the tool to do it exists

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If it wasn't cop he would have been yelling out "byatch" and doing weird poo poo with his hands, because that's what all the thugs do when the cops aren't around.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Don't talk to cop.

Don't make eye contact with cop.

Don't exist near cop.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

quote:

Melissa Boarts’s family was frantic to find her.

They said the 36-year-old suffered from manic depression and had been threatening to slit her wrists when she jumped into her car Sunday and went for a drive down Interstate 85, toward Auburn, Ala.

Her twin told the Montgomery Advertiser that she started tracking her sister’s movements via GPS and calling out the route to their parents. At one point, they caught a glimpse of her SUV before she disappeared.

Finally, she stopped.

“We were afraid she was going to hurt herself,” her mother, Terry Boarts, told the newspaper. “We figured she was going to bleed out right there.”

The parents called 911 for help.

But instead of assisting, “police ended up putting a bullet in her,” they said in a statement issued by the family’s attorney.
cops. lol

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
It's all online now a-days. "Like share and subscribe if u love crimes"

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
what about myspace?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Criminals are real stupid, OP

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Megaspel posted:

It's all online now a-days. "Like share and subscribe if u love crimes"

Where's the like button I can't find it

tomatoes and shit
Sep 17, 2015

Jonny 290 posted:

because you cant browse cops.tumblr.com on burner flip phones, which the hood runs on

Snitch and Save

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Scanwich.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

the burners don't really help, by the way. i'm a radio guy and i listen to my city cops openly using stingrays to capture drug dealer metadata.

"Pancho just called him, he didn't answer and called Carlos"

"2 minute call to that Tiny guy a few minutes ago"

narcotics got it going ON.

they really are buttfucking everybody's privacy on the daily, no warrants needed and wont even admit the tool to do it exists

man that sucks I never hear the cops doing that on my scanner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
looks like everyone is heading over to the "clutching moan" thread. see ya all there!!

• Locked thread