Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
please stop talking about the nature of violence or whatever the hell you people are talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

No, they want to prove he plausibly had no idea it was going on because he's never in Lansing, as in doesn't bother to show up for work any more, he has people handling everything for him.

He never leaves Ann Arbor.

What if there really is a conspiracy and the reason the governor is never seen in public is that he's being held against his will? :tinfoil:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dmitri-9 posted:

Supplying a city is different from buying a well point at Home Depot. Switching Flint to Lake Huron would further undermine DWSD's budget which Snyder could easily break up and sell to private companies using his extremely broad gubernatorial powers.

That's not what the conspiracy du jour said though. Just that is it possible they poisoned the water themselves to sell it to corporations. That's a pretty dangerous, stupid, and pointless move considering you can't walk ten feet around here without stumbling upon some source of water or simply dig a hallow hole for it instead. I mean, poisoning a major city on the part of some company to get access to Flint's water supply in a place where water supplies are extremely abundant is just mind numbingly stupid. Even moreso when that poisoning is going to be found out from simply looking at the brown/gray water coming from every tap of every household in a city and suburb of some 100,000 people.
Not like the Flint river doesn't have a long history of pollution to start with which is just stupid stacked on stupid when it comes to bottled water conspiracies.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Epic High Five posted:

"pre-modern humans were nonviolent and in tune with nature" - no megafauna ever
:smith:

Lonny Donoghan
Jan 20, 2009
Pillbug
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2016/03/break-in_where_water_files_sto.html

Yeah it's an inside job alright, by Coca cola

edit: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k1KoN0XGhu3MKT3zPE5 coca cola have been known to do things like this before. With all the water disappearing into hurricanes by 2025 I don't think its that big of a stretch to say Coca cola would stoop to very low levels to put all the drinkable water in their plastic bottles

Lonny Donoghan fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 20, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah it's pretty funny to contrast the Dances with Wolves style of noble savage with the fact that all the big mammals died out not long after Native Americans came to the Western Hemisphere.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

please stop talking about the nature of violence or whatever the hell you people are talking about

stop talking about anime in the gw thread :colbert:

but yeah, this line of conversation could stand to be its own thread

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Frykte posted:

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2016/03/break-in_where_water_files_sto.html

Yeah it's an inside job alright, by Coca cola

edit: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k1KoN0XGhu3MKT3zPE5 coca cola have been known to do things like this before. With all the water disappearing into hurricanes by 2025 I don't think its that big of a stretch to say Coca cola would stoop to very low levels to put all the drinkable water in their plastic bottles

You're insane.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

computer parts posted:

Yeah it's pretty funny to contrast the Dances with Wolves style of noble savage with the fact that all the big mammals died out not long after Native Americans came to the Western Hemisphere.
They didn't all die out.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

computer parts posted:

Also, humans were spread from Alaska to Chile by 16 KYA and the last of the megafauna were extinct around 12 KYA, so it took 4,000 years for them to go extinct. At a time of massive climate change. Humans were not the sole destroyers of the megafauna.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Nestle Waters owns the Muskegon River, as far as they are concerned. I live about 15 miles away from their bottling facility in Michigan. Dennis Muchmore is Snyder's Chief of Staff. Muchmore's wife, Deb, is the chief spokesperson for Nestle Waters. Not about to go down the conspiracy theory route, but you can see where it's easy to do with this crisis.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, kinda. the big difference being that the Muskie is a shitload cleaner than the Big Flint Ditch. It'd either cost a company more than they're willing to spend to decontaminate it or suffer the impending lawsuits when people get sick.
I mean sure, it could go that route, but it requires quite a large gathering of stupid, complication, and pointlessness. And a willingness to take quite a real chance at sinking your company.
Basically it does what all conspiracies do, over complicates and raises more questions and improbabilities than it answers and resolves

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And, again, which conspiracy is more likely: a global corporation running a long con that would absolutely hurt them if the truth got out, or a bunch of incompetent leaders trying to cover their asses for a real massive gently caress up that came about from failing to do their due diligence?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Regalingualius posted:

And, again, which conspiracy is more likely: a global corporation running a long con that would absolutely hurt them if the truth got out, or a bunch of incompetent leaders trying to cover their asses for a real massive gently caress up that came about from failing to do their due diligence?

The world seems a lot scarier to people if our leaders and better-thans are as dumb and incompetent as we are.

See: 9/11 and jet fuel/steel beams, etc.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

One of the details with the Flint water crisis was the break-in at the office where records and an old TV were stolen shortly after the scandal broke. It's now been determined by police that the break-in was an inside job

quote:

Police investigating a burglary at a Flint City Hall office where water records were stored “was definitely an inside job,” police said.

After the December break-in at the vacant executive office, police found water documents scattered around the room. An old TV was stolen, but the power cord was not.

“It was definitely an inside job. The power cord (to the TV) wasn’t even taken,” Police Chief Tim Johnson told MLive. “The average drug user knows that you’d need the power cord to be able to pawn it.”

Police confirmed to Motor City Muckraker today that an investigation is ongoing and that authorities are worried water records were removed because the room was littered with out-of-place documents related to the water crisis. It was the only office targeted in the break-in.

The burglary occurred soon after it became clear that the state had ignored serious warnings about the dangers of using the Flint River for drinking water.

State police also are investigating.

At this point, police aren’t sure what else was taken other than the TV.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It was an inside job because someone didn't take a power cord?

Really?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
It's obviously an inside job but hopefully the police have something stronger to go on than that as evidence.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

ayn rand hand job posted:

It was an inside job because someone didn't take a power cord?

Really?

You missed the part about the specific office that was targeted. That is what really got their attention, not just the monitor.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I assume that they know it was an inside job from the specificity of the target and whatever evidence they have of damage or what they had to do to get in. The tv thing is probably a case of "they stole the TV to make it look like a regular break-in, but they were so careless about it they didn't even steal the whole TV."

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Epic High Five posted:

Poked my head into this thread and was: glad I did.

Beverage companies' entire production model is based on monopolizing a water source and selling it back to people. You could argue that it's the same as exploiting the resources on any other piece of land, but it's a sensitive issue for a variety of reasons, including the fact that it's a fundamental necessity for life. Privatizing water in already impoverished areas can create economic disasters in which foreign or otherwise higher-wealth markets drive the cost of water up out of reach of the people who were previously able to live on public water supplies, like what happened in Bolivia 20 years ago. It turns out that corporations don't actually give a poo poo about anything besides their profit margins.

http://www.newsweek.com/race-buy-worlds-water-73893
This article is a little old, but a megalomaniacal need to "privatize all water" is definitely a baked-in aspect of the soft drink industry, and the people doing it vary on a full range between not giving a poo poo about the human cost of doing so and earnestly believing that the free market will sort it out. Never mind that, in order to participate in the "free market", you have to be able to afford the buy-in cost in the first place.

Anyway, Flint's water is super hosed for maybe a long time. I wouldn't be shocked if they end up having to write off the whole community and relocate people, like the time an unwitting entrepreneur contaminated Times Beach, MO with Agent Orange.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Your conspiracy theory falls apart under the most basic scrutiny, dude.

They already had a perfectly fine source of water from Detroit before the shitshow started. The plan was to use the river as a cheap stopgap while they got everything set up to transition over to another water source. Once the governor, EPA, et. al realized how massively they hosed up... They hastily switched back to Detroit, instead of exclusively buying a ton of bottled drinks. And that's just the most basic stuff; why go after Flint when there's Detroit, for example?

Do I agree that the bottled drink industry is massively hosed up, and has done incredibly harmful poo poo in their quest to privatize water? Hell yeah. But it just doesn't fit with this situation. All of the evidence points to individuals in the area government not doing their due diligence in their attempts to save a buck, and correspondingly freaking out when they realized how badly they'd screwed up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

In actual, thread-related news:

Snyder's appointed task force has released its findings on who's the blame for the Water Crisis. Shockingly enough, its Snyder's Administration, with a slight slap at the EPA for being too timid and deferential to the state gov and WQ (in other words, for acting like Republicans expect them to).

Read the whole thing along with their recommendations here.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What exactly are the GOP complaints about the EPA? I mean I know they are going to blame them regardless but what's their avenue of attack? The only thing I can think of that they hosed up on was that they didn't regulate hard enough but there;s no way Republicans are going to make that argument.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Radish posted:

What exactly are the GOP complaints about the EPA? I mean I know they are going to blame them regardless but what's their avenue of attack? The only thing I can think of that they hosed up on was that they didn't regulate hard enough but there;s no way Republicans are going to make that argument.

The EPA Region 5 leadership apparently quashed the concerns of the scientists who were raising the alarm bells about the problem and then got into an out of court legal slapfight with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality about whether the EPA actually had the authority under the relevant federal statute to mandate the testing protocols used by MDEQ.

This resulted in the EPA Region 5 Administrator getting what is rumored to be a 'resign or be fired' order from EPA Headquarters, followed very shortly by a new policy from Gina McCarthy for "Elevation of Critical Public Health Issues" laying out the criteria that would allow EPA employees to go around their chain of command when they feel there's a critical public health issue that needs to be addressed. Essentially an internal whistleblower protection policy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Interesting, thanks.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/panel-pins-blame-flint-crisis-gov-snyders-administration

Not a court of law, but it is nice that even the panel that Snyder appointed knows where to put the blame.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

One of the details with the Flint water crisis was the break-in at the office where records and an old TV were stolen shortly after the scandal broke. It's now been determined by police that the break-in was an inside job

Yeeeeaaaaah ok. Good job there Flint police. I've had poo poo stolen out of my car where vital components were left behind. It certainly wasn't me that stole them.

Had a cb radio stolen but the antenna was left behind. Had a shitload of sockets stolen but the actual socket wrench left behind. 2 ton floor jack stolen but the handle to use it was left behind.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

SocketWrench posted:

Yeeeeaaaaah ok. Good job there Flint police. I've had poo poo stolen out of my car where vital components were left behind. It certainly wasn't me that stole them.

Had a cb radio stolen but the antenna was left behind. Had a shitload of sockets stolen but the actual socket wrench left behind. 2 ton floor jack stolen but the handle to use it was left behind.

Again, read the whole article. 1 specific office was targeted, and only documents about the water issue were targeted. The monitor is secondary.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Not only that but the documents that were left were scattered everywhere. Sorry but this just screams "somebody incompetent is covering something up." The devil is in the details, as they say, and when the only things that go missing are a set of very specific documents and a TV that just screams cover up.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The Repo Man posted:

Again, read the whole article. 1 specific office was targeted, and only documents about the water issue were targeted. The monitor is secondary.

I did. Though I was focusing on that specifically because it really means nothing. It's like the cops said "We have evidence this was an inside job, and the sky was blue today." It's just a comically stupid addition

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

SocketWrench posted:

I did. Though I was focusing on that specifically because it really means nothing. It's like the cops said "We have evidence this was an inside job, and the sky was blue today." It's just a comically stupid addition

Aaaahhhh I gotcha. It really does kind of read that way.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Rick Snyder is currently number one in this fortune magazine poll "the 19 most disappointing world leaders."

http://fortune.com/2016/03/30/rank-most-disappointing-leaders/

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
The EPA was kind of a bad guy in this case, but the GOP using it as an excuse to abolish the EPA, instead of just reforming it, is a major red flag. Like, let's be real here. If it weren't for the EPA looming over our glorious Captains of Industry, every city in America would have one of those apocalyptic Beijing smog clouds and like radioactive asbestos in the tap water.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The only bad guy is Rick Snyder. He needs to be arrested.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i find the most incredulous aspect of this sort of thing is that if the water switchover, by some miracle, hadn't blown up horribly and had resulted in flint saving some amount of money (or lets be honest, even if it hadn't but could be spun to look like it did), synder would be all over it, claiming credit each step of the way.

but when it turns out horribly, then all the Serious People in the room feel the need to ask "how much power/knowledge over this did synder really have? maybe he was blind deaf and mute the whole time, you can't really prove otherwise"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rick Snyder is currently number one in this fortune magazine poll "the 19 most disappointing world leaders."

http://fortune.com/2016/03/30/rank-most-disappointing-leaders/
It says world's most disappointing leaders, not most disappointing world leaders. :colbert: Thought someone was going crazy by calling Snyder a world leader.

The only bad guy is Rick Snyder. He needs to be arrested.
Didn't the EPA fail to actually deal with the issue after being made aware of it? The local branch I mean. I think that falls under being a bad guy, even if a slightly more mundane one than Snyder.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

deadly_pudding posted:

The EPA was kind of a bad guy in this case, but the GOP using it as an excuse to abolish the EPA, instead of just reforming it, is a major red flag. Like, let's be real here. If it weren't for the EPA looming over our glorious Captains of Industry, every city in America would have one of those apocalyptic Beijing smog clouds and like radioactive asbestos in the tap water.

Just one step closer to real life Dominion Tank Police

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i find the most incredulous aspect of this sort of thing is that if the water switchover, by some miracle, hadn't blown up horribly and had resulted in flint saving some amount of money (or lets be honest, even if it hadn't but could be spun to look like it did), synder would be all over it, claiming credit each step of the way.

but when it turns out horribly, then all the Serious People in the room feel the need to ask "how much power/knowledge over this did synder really have? maybe he was blind deaf and mute the whole time, you can't really prove otherwise"

Someone doesn't have much experience with the Republican damage control team

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

SocketWrench posted:

Someone doesn't have much experience with the Republican damage control team

it is just damage control/"failing upwards" culture in general, really

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oooh, Justice Dept better start hiring lawyers well-versed in RICO law. Between this, FIFA, and the Panama Papers, it looks they're going to have a busy foreseeable future.

Rawstory posted:

A federal racketeering lawsuit by hundreds of resident in Flint, Michigan , is alleging the city’s two-year water crisis was the result of an“intentional scheme” crafted by state officials and Michigan governor Rick Snyder to balance the city’s budget.

In a press conference announcing the 17-count racketeer influenced and corrupt organizations ( Rico ) complaint on Wednesday, attorneys said the state of Michigan ran Flint’s day-to-day operations through an emergency manager, who prioritized balancing the city’s budget through a cost-cutting measure: switching Flint’s water source in April 2014 from Lake Huron, which serviced the city for more than 50 years, to a local river....

The attorneys on Wednesday said they didn’t take filing a Rico lawsuit lightly.

“That’s why we waited,” said attorney Marc Bern. “We could’ve filed a lawsuit weeks, and even months ago. But we wanted to make sure that we were going to get every single person compensated. That we were going to get everybody what they deserve.”

He added: “The damages here can go on not only for a year or two, but for generations. The tenor of this entire area has been changed forever as a result of this scheme, and that’s why we worked hard to uncover the scheme.”

The attorneys asserted that the legal doctrine of governmental immunity won’t be an issue in the Rico case, as the numerous state officials have been named as defendants individually – not in their official capacity. The attorneys declined to estimate the possible financial damages associated with the lawsuit, but said repayment for water bills alone to Flint residents could exceed $50m. Appropriate damages determined by the court will be tripled, as stipulated under civil Rico statute, said Kern.

The lawsuit also requests a jury and seeks compensatory damages for future medical costs, legal fees, and treble damages for property damages, loss of business, and financial loss.

Several investigations by federal, state, and local agencies are ongoing and could potentially lead to criminal charges .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Get hosed by the courts, Rick. I hope they bleed you and the current serving Michigan government dry for the rest of Flint's lives ontop of paying to purify Lake Huron and fixing the city's pipes.

• Locked thread