Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Florida Betty posted:

I always hear the weirdest things at Panera. Once, someone was conducting a job interview (not for Panera) at a table next to me, and the interviewer proudly and extremely loudly announced to the interviewee that she never hired Asians. Usually people try to be a little quieter with their racism in public.

During the Ferguson Riots last year, I stopped in a Panera because it felt like a good idea. I ended up sitting next to a table of four old men that were discussing the situation. It was pretty much "racist bingo" for the event. Talking about how they're young savages that don't know how to behave and all that. Also at one point one of the men lectured one of the others because he was saving most of his money to have his children inherit instead of buying fancy sports cars to go on adventures and be completely selfish. Right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

During the Ferguson Riots last year, I stopped in a Panera because it felt like a good idea. I ended up sitting next to a table of four old men that were discussing the situation. It was pretty much "racist bingo" for the event. Talking about how they're young savages that don't know how to behave and all that. Also at one point one of the men lectured one of the others because he was saving most of his money to have his children inherit instead of buying fancy sports cars to go on adventures and be completely selfish. Right.

"As long as they don't marry one uh dem apes"

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Not sure it quite fits here, but I have an anecdote about a moron. I work as a shipper receiver to play for college. I was loading a pallet onto a truck when I saw someone wandering around the parking lot and asked him what he was looking for. He told me he tried to knock on the front door to find someone to speak to. but the office was already empty, so he ended up wandering around to the back of the warehouse. I assumed he needed to pick up a load for a restaurant or event or something, so I pointed him to the warehouse supervisor. About half an hour later, the warehouse supervisor came up to me and asked me why I sent an idiot in his direction. Apparently he was here because he received an email from 'Coca-Cola UK' telling him he won 1,000,000 pounds and asking for all his information, and he came here to find out how why he hadn't received it, and how to claim it. The supervisor needed to explain that he was being scammed multiple times, and he still left his name 'just in case'. This was also in Canada.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Apr 3, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

HairyManling posted:

"Black men are lazy. You see Kobe last night? Guy doesn't want to play. Fourth quarter he's moving slow, doesn't feel like running. They just want to get paid."

He's been running and jumping almost nonstop for 45 minutes and his energy is starting to wane. What a lazy rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArHNrCvwq4c

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Not a basketball fan but
1) all of airplane is hilarious
2) Kareem is one of my favorite athletes for his work as an actor. There's this bit called "Djinn, no chaser" where he hams up playing a genie, but it was written well so he I couldn't complain

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I loved him in Game of Death. The look on Bruce Lee's face as he just slowly takes in how tall Kareem is. Plus after he gets kicked, his previously pristine now iconic yellow suit has a huge footprint from neck to groin on it. KAJ was actually one of his students irl too.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

1) all of airplane is hilarious

yes

Torches Upon Stars
Jan 17, 2015

The future is bright.
"I agree, these demands by transsexuals dont make sense at all. The whole thing is nonsensical. There is discrimination here, but its discrimination towards heterosexuals to the point that a law like this seems needed.
Basically, if you claim to be “trans” then you can simply pick and choose whatever gender you want to be and use that restroom. Do heterosexuals get afforded same choice?
If I’m at a public place and the line to the men’s room is a mile long but no one is using the women’s restroom, can I as a clearly heterosexual male declare for the next 5 minutes that I’m a woman and go use the women’s restroom?
The Republicans are right in passing this law, but they are passing it for all the wrong reasons. Letting 0.13% of population use whatever public facilities they want, and denying that right to the rest of 99.87% of the population is the definition of discrimination."

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Iron Heart posted:

"I agree, these demands by transsexuals dont make sense at all. The whole thing is nonsensical. There is discrimination here, but its discrimination towards heterosexuals to the point that a law like this seems needed.
Basically, if you claim to be “trans” then you can simply pick and choose whatever gender you want to be and use that restroom. Do heterosexuals get afforded same choice?
If I’m at a public place and the line to the men’s room is a mile long but no one is using the women’s restroom, can I as a clearly heterosexual male declare for the next 5 minutes that I’m a woman and go use the women’s restroom?
The Republicans are right in passing this law, but they are passing it for all the wrong reasons. Letting 0.13% of population use whatever public facilities they want, and denying that right to the rest of 99.87% of the population is the definition of discrimination."

These opinions are so silly. I used to bring my daughter into the mens room before she was able to take care of herself. No-one died. I used to use the ladies room at work at a company I worked at a decade ago because it was cleaner and no-one ever cared. I somehow avoided raping and murdering women during that time. At my current office, sometimes there will be a female cleaner in the restroom when I go in. Somehow, my manhood is retained.

If your first thought is rape and murder when you think of a man in the ladies room, that's on you. You're the one that thought of it. The trans m/f just wants to take a piss.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I demand Ann Coulter's junk be checked by a licensed inspector before using any facilities.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Context: We both live in Norway and its loving cold here.

I spoke to my friend about global warming while we were walking outside. Apparently, because it was snowing outside at that time of the year that meant climate change does not happen. Such a frustrating argument to hear.

Midig has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Feb 28, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Iron Heart posted:

Without even touching on the considerably more loving idiotic things about this, whoever said this apparently doesn't even know what transgender people are, because it's a matter of gender identity, not sexuality.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

mostlygray posted:

If your first thought is rape and murder when you think of a man in the ladies room, that's on you. You're the one that thought of it. The trans m/f just wants to take a piss.

I feel the same way when I hear fundamentalist Christians claim that atheists can't be good people because they don't have the threat of eternal damnation to keep them in line. If you can't fathom someone being nice even though there's no reward or punishment involved, it says more about you than it does about me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Christo posted:

I feel the same way when I hear fundamentalist Christians claim that atheists can't be good people because they don't have the threat of eternal damnation to keep them in line. If you can't fathom someone being nice even though there's no reward or punishment involved, it says more about you than it does about me.

Knowing this explains a lot of how fundies think. They honestly believe that you can only be moral with the threat of damnation hanging over you, it explains why they can say stuff like this with a straight face

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Knowing this explains a lot of how fundies think. They honestly believe that you can only be moral with the threat of damnation hanging over you, it explains why they can say stuff like this with a straight face

Well, it's not wrong :v:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Christo posted:

It's a shame because the debate about the foundations of a developed moral system in the absence of religion is a hugely interesting one and it gets hijacked by , well, that.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Christo posted:

These generally are the same people who beat the poo poo out of their kids as a form of punishment. They only know fear and anger, and live their whole lives around it.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Christo posted:

I feel the same way when I hear fundamentalist Christians claim that atheists can't be good people because they don't have the threat of eternal damnation to keep them in line.

I've literally heard people claim out loud that if it wasn't for their faith in Jesus they'd be stealing and raping left and right. Dude, you were only SAVED last month, I don't recall you going on any crime sprees before that, shut the gently caress up.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Christo posted:

A drunk cousin of a friend started yelling at my husband and I one night when she found out we identified as atheist, calling us murderers and rapists and thieves. We told her that we were just naturally good and that if she only behaved because she was afraid of getting in trouble, she was a worse person than us, and boy did that ever set her off. Don't drink and philosophize with strangers!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

Well, it's not wrong :v:

What? Yes it is! :psyduck:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If Christianity stopped existing, millions of people will die regardless, because everybody dies. If Islam stopped existing, there'd still be everyone alive that wasn't a Muslim, so millions of people would be alive.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Picnic Princess posted:

A drunk cousin of a friend started yelling at my husband and I one night when she found out we identified as atheist, calling us murderers and rapists and thieves. We told her that we were just naturally good and that if she only behaved because she was afraid of getting in trouble, she was a worse person than us, and boy did that ever set her off. Don't drink and philosophize with strangers!

I make it a point to not drink with super-theists. I mean, hippies can be obnoxious with their poo poo but at least they love everyone.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If Christianity stopped existing, millions of people will die regardless, because everybody dies. If Islam stopped existing, there'd still be everyone alive that wasn't a Muslim, so millions of people would be alive.

Oh, right. Fair enough.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hyperlynx posted:

What? Yes it is! :psyduck:

Just read it in the most literal possible sense.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

This is the result of the most boring person in the worked playing SimCity.
The dude invented a whole religion, he can't be that boring.

Iron Heart posted:

This issue came up at work, and it took one meeting between the transgendered student asking about it and campus administration to come up with the solution of designating all single occupancy bathrooms as gender-neutral, sending out an announcement to the campus about it 15 minutes later, and buying a couple of signs. It probably took more time for the people you overheard to complain about it than it did for my workplace to discuss the problem and solve it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GWBBQ posted:

designating all single occupancy bathrooms as gender-neutral

I've never understood why this isn't always the case. Also, does anyone ever stand around waiting because the one with the right sign on it is in use, instead of just using the other one anyway?

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Somebody mentioned Davis a few days ago. I went to college there ages ago.
I will never forget te first time I was in line buying textbooks. The white girls in front of me were talking to a black boy, he eventually excused himself and one of the girls said to the other, "OMG we just talked to a black guy!"

Later that term, a friend I made noticed when a classmate from my high school waved at me. He and I weren't friends, but hey, familiar faces on a big campus, I get it. Anyway, this new friend of mine asked me to set him up with her friend because he was black. But here's the real stupid thing I heard from this other chick, "I like black guys because you can't see the veins in their cocks."

What the Christ people.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
That does sound like Davis. I skydive there often, and it's still really white.

When I moved to the bay area, I remember chatting with some fellow students and I lamented how few black people were in our area. It was just passing commentary; our school billed itself as one of the most diverse in the country, which was probably true, but being from DC I was used to seeing a lot of black faces. After I left, one of the friends turned to the other, and said "I have never heard of anyone complaining that there weren't enough black people around."

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Fashionable Jorts posted:

These generally are the same people who beat the poo poo out of their kids as a form of punishment. They only know fear and anger, and live their whole lives around it.

My in-laws are always telling me to beat my kids. They think that we're too lenient because our kids speak their mind. They're not rude, they just speak like adults even though they're 7 and 9. Sorry my kids use good grammar.

The first thing I always think of is, "What if I'm upset with your opinion? Should I lay you out?"

Is it acceptable to hit an employee? Is it a good idea to beat your wife? When I'm upset with service at the DMV, can I smack them across the face with a clipboard? What if my co-worker calls me an rear end in a top hat? Should my first thought be violence?

Don't hit your kids.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
My dad hit me a handful of times in the span of 15 years or so. Never prolonged beatings, never left a mark, never needed a check up.

But to this day there is a veil of disrespect towards him that I can't shake off even if I wanted to.

Another messed up part about beating children, even if it is "mildly" as in my case, is that you plant the idea in their heads that it is perfectly normal. For the longest time I just assumed that all kids got a hard slap when they've done something really stupid, and I was bewildered to find out that wasn't the case.

Ugh. Long story short: don't hit your goddamn kids you goddamn lunatics. I know we're goons and all but we ain't monsters!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

mostlygray posted:

What if my co-worker calls me an rear end in a top hat? Should my first thought be violence?

If your first thought when dealing with a co-worker is not violence then i don't understand you.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah hitting kids is hosed up, and even though I only got a smack like three or four times in my life, it still wasn't exactly productive or helpful.

But I'm not a big proponent of punishment as a rule anyway (well, outside the right places :pervert:). People almost always respond better to the carrot than the stick.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
A light-medium swat from an open palm on the diaper-padded bottom is appropriate in some cases before a kid's old enough to understand a time out.

Edit: like you catch them reaching for a boiling pot on the stove, or getting ready to go out in the road.

Anil Dikshit has a new favorite as of 02:13 on Apr 10, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

kizudarake posted:

A light-medium swat from an open palm on the diaper-padded bottom is appropriate in some cases before a kid's old enough to understand a time out.

Edit: like you catch them reaching for a boiling pot on the stove, or getting ready to go out in the road.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Teachers used to be able to hit kids. That owned.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Elfgames posted:

If your first thought when dealing with a co-worker is not violence then i don't understand you.

That's his point, we only ever use violence as a form of a coercion towards children, unless you're a cop or something. It's teaching kids that violence is how you deal with people you don't agree with, and yet when they get older they're not supposed to do that.

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I don't think hitting children is needed or "right" in any sense, but I would loving love to smack someone next time I'm at the RMV. Why didn't I think of this sooner?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

ServoMST3K posted:

I don't think hitting children is needed or "right" in any sense, but I would loving love to smack someone next time I'm at the RMV. Why didn't I think of this sooner?

Come to Australia or Britain, where throwing a temper tantrum in government buildings is both a pleasure and statically normal.

I've lost count of how many times staff at my local C-Link have received threats to be "smashed" by our local druggo population.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Come to Australia or Britain, where throwing a temper tantrum in government buildings is both a pleasure and statically normal.

I've lost count of how many times staff at my local C-Link have received threats to be "smashed" by our local druggo population.

Was it last year or the year before that someone wrecked up a centrelink office with a chainsaw? good times either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

MissEchelon posted:

Was it last year or the year before that someone wrecked up a centrelink office with a chainsaw? good times either way

2013 at a Greenway , Canberra C-Link.

I'm actually surprised that they responded with anything other than passive resignation towards said chainsaw. It seems to be the go-to attitude towards the belligerent, around here at least.

CONTENT:

Freely profess your ignorance of medicine? Clearly, you must be qualified to be entrusted with your child's life!

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...1f06a5d297faa42

Sic Semper Goon has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Apr 10, 2016

• Locked thread