Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Megasabin posted:

How do you find secret rooms? I haven't found any at all so far.

The only surefire way (other than manually going through every room and shooting the walls) seems to be to buy a map. Most of the secret rooms I find are completely by accident, either by randomly using a blank, or by getting hit while having armor in a room with a secret entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

I wonder if the Alien Engine would work with the Backup Gun upgrade that let's you shoot in both direction simultaneously, or the heavy boots that reduces knockback. The only real downside of it is the massive recoil, and if you get in close with it, it absolutely destroys anything you point it at.

The heavy boots remove all the recoil from it.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
This game is very, very good and aside from probably reducing boss health (even the tank shouldn't take all of a grenade laucher and triple crossbow, some molotovs, and some normal gun shots and still not die) they just need to loosen it up in a few places, and make it seem less like the game is afraid you'll get cool stuff.

Also I've not done testing or anything but it feels like the enemy health scales up - the regular bullet guys take more hits when you encounter them on lower floors, which if true is lovely imo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Broken Cog posted:

The only surefire way (other than manually going through every room and shooting the walls) seems to be to buy a map. Most of the secret rooms I find are completely by accident, either by randomly using a blank, or by getting hit while having armor in a room with a secret entrance.

I was hoping there would be some way to spot the holes where they would be on your map after a while of playing a la Binding of Isaac and how its secret rooms follow a pattern, but it seems to be completely random where they are placed unfortunately.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Does your level of curse carry over when you die?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Contest Winner posted:

Also I've not done testing or anything but it feels like the enemy health scales up - the regular bullet guys take more hits when you encounter them on lower floors, which if true is lovely imo.

They absolutely do. I've specifically got guns that one-shot a (specific recurring) base enemy and then stops doing that one floor deeper.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

What makes it so chests have a fuse? Is it an effect of being cursed?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

NotAnArtist posted:

Does your level of curse carry over when you die?

Don't think so

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Geokinesis posted:

What makes it so chests have a fuse? Is it an effect of being cursed?

I've only seen them at zero curse. I'm guessing it's just a low chance for them to spawn with fuses.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

goferchan posted:

Don't think so

Jibo posted:

I've only seen them at zero curse. I'm guessing it's just a low chance for them to spawn with fuses.

Weird.

I had 2 chests on the same floor with fuses and one of the didn't have a fuse till I bought a cursed gun, as I backtracked hoping to find a key.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Btw everyone, remember to talk to the hunting guys when you finish a hunt. They won't give you the reward and the next quest unless you talk to them, and some of the stuff they unlock is really good.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Does anyone know what beastmode does? I turned it on and the enemies take the same amount of shots to kill & don't seem to be more aggressive or do more damage. They drop more money though I think?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

This game looks exceedingly loving cool. I am just happy to know it apparently lives up to the hype I've felt for it when I first saw it years ago

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Yo, anyone know what the Sixth Chamber does? It says it "feeds upon curse" so I assumed it was something like a damage buff the more curse items you get, but I loaded up on items from the vampire and didn't notice anything different, and then got overwhelmed at all the cursed enemies I made happen :v:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't realize until this run that Double Vision was an active item that recharges when you're in combat.

Pretty much every item does that, except for the rare few that are single-use only like the medkit or the marine's ammo drop.

Jusupov posted:

Shoot walls with non-starter gun and if they crack use a blank anywhere in the room or explode something next to it

Don't do this. There are way too many places to check and it's a huge waste of time and ammo. Unless you have a map and know generally where the entrance is going to be.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

If you've got a garbage weapon that's worse than your sidearm, or are about to toss a gun into the shop grate/healing statue/etc, it seems ideal to try and find secret rooms with it. But fuuuuck that. I don't care how difficult this game is or how much of an advantage that brings - shooting walls to find secret rooms is way too tedious to ever bother with. I hope people eventually figure out a solid formula for finding exactly where they spawn, like in Isaac. As-is they're in this lovely spot where I feel like I'm crippling myself to avoid extreme tedium.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Found the saves in appdata/locallow/Dodge Roll. Seems like saves could be transferable like Issac. I know I'm never going to beat Bullet Hell (yes, it's a real place unlocked after killing all 4 pasts, so I hope somebody comes out with a completed save so I can see all the things.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vargs posted:

If you've got a garbage weapon that's worse than your sidearm, or are about to toss a gun into the shop grate/healing statue/etc, it seems ideal to try and find secret rooms with it. But fuuuuck that. I don't care how difficult this game is or how much of an advantage that brings - shooting walls to find secret rooms is way too tedious to ever bother with. I hope people eventually figure out a solid formula for finding exactly where they spawn, like in Isaac. As-is they're in this lovely spot where I feel like I'm crippling myself to avoid extreme tedium.

My experience with secret room hunting so far is just blowing any leftover blanks in the elevator room after the boss. There's a very low chance for it to actually pay out, but I've gotten a secret room there once.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I think I'm done with this game.

For a game that's all about "It's guns! It's an action game! There's a dodge roll!" it's so loving slow paced - rooms are huge, your move speed is so slow in comparison to the size of the rooms and the hallways, anything but basic enemies generally take at least half of your clip if your gun is good, there's this long run just to start a run, when you fall in a hole it takes a few seconds before you pop back up, when you die there's this long animation of you dying then this long animation of the book opening... it's not much just once, but given the repetition of the game it really wore on me. It's a shame too, I really liked this game at first but I just can't take it anymore.

Even Isaac seems faster paced.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Trick Question posted:

Even Isaac seems faster paced.

It's not. A run of Isaac that takes you to the end of one of the branches takes about 40-ish minutes unless you become crazy OP, which I've found is pretty similar to this game. I do wish the general movement speed was a little bit faster, though.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So I've just started this, and in the tutorial I've hit this red bouncing bullet thing it seems like I should be able to pick up. But I can't. I've looked through all of the key bindings and I can't figure it out. Can anyone tell me what this is? I can push it around but I can't pick it up.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I've just started this, and in the tutorial I've hit this red bouncing bullet thing it seems like I should be able to pick up. But I can't. I've looked through all of the key bindings and I can't figure it out. Can anyone tell me what this is? I can push it around but I can't pick it up.

That would be health - if you look closely at your health bar, you'll see that the hearts are crossed red bullets. If you're at full health, you can't collect it.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Benly posted:

That would be health - if you look closely at your health bar, you'll see that the hearts are crossed red bullets. If you're at full health, you can't collect it.

Ahh, makes sense. Thanks! It was driving me crazy

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I literally have a death screen with Blockner dying. Dude's the loving bane of my existence. Should have bought another shield.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I like this more than Nuclear Throne but that might be because I'm bad. I found nuclear throne a little too fast paced for me to be able to get beyond the third world or so with any regularity.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I really don't like the rat guy as a game mechanic. I can't think of any purpose he serves to the gameplay besides just to be mean to the player. What situation would there be that warrants his inclusion? If the player is willing to backtrack far enough to get an item they left on the ground, which will be unobtainable after going to the next floor anyway, why would you penalize them for it?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ufarn posted:

I literally have a death screen with Blockner dying. Dude's the loving bane of my existence. Should have bought another shield.

Take out his backup asap. When he does those wave attacks (similar to the ones his adds create), stay at a decent range and move in one direction around him so that he tries to lead the shot, then immediately double back as soon as he fires. This usually lets you get past each wave without needing to dodge, which is key because I found that the one thing that was really loving me over in that fight was having to dodge through the last wave in his chain, which he punishes heavily with his followup shots.

None of his other attacks are threatening or memorable at all, so as long as you can deal with the wave thing, you should be fine.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

CJacobs posted:

I really don't like the rat guy as a game mechanic. I can't think of any purpose he serves to the gameplay besides just to be mean to the player. What situation would there be that warrants his inclusion? If the player is willing to backtrack far enough to get an item they left on the ground, which will be unobtainable after going to the next floor anyway, why would you penalize them for it?

I wish I better understood what would trigger it. I've left ammo or health tokens in rooms and they are taken or they are not, and the notes left behind are just plain rude haha.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

NotAnArtist posted:

I wish I better understood what would trigger it. I've left ammo or health tokens in rooms and they are taken or they are not, and the notes left behind are just plain rude haha.

Ammo and items seem to get taken almost as soon as you leave a room. If you run back in really quick you can actually see the guy. I've never seen him take health.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Goddamn I'm getting close to reaching 100 deaths and I have all the bullet components except one but the 5th floor keeps wrecking me and I haven't been lucky enough with drops to get an OP combo. I hate you people that got a win with only 10 deaths.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Lakbay posted:

Goddamn I'm getting close to reaching 100 deaths and I have all the bullet components except one but the 5th floor keeps wrecking me and I haven't been lucky enough with drops to get an OP combo. I hate you people that got a win with only 10 deaths.

Can you see deaths somewhere? According to steam it took me 30 first floor clears for my first floor 5 clear. Only a couple were ragequits due to no drops.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Your death total is listed underneath the 'YOU DIED' on the game over screen.

edit:

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Anyone got progress on Cartographer's Assistant achievement where you map the first Five Chambers for the lost adventurer? Mine is 0/5 and I've mapped at least floors 4 and 5 for him.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Finally got my final Past Kill, and holy hell, the Pilot and Marine's past battles are way harder than Hunter and Convict. I did both the latter two's fights on my first try, while the Pilot took me 3, and the Marine took me 4.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Do check the last room past the boss for a secret, at least.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

LordSloth posted:

Do check the last room past the boss for a secret, at least.

Oh, I know about that. Looking forward to it, but I need to calm my nerves after that last run.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

CJacobs posted:

It's not. A run of Isaac that takes you to the end of one of the branches takes about 40-ish minutes unless you become crazy OP, which I've found is pretty similar to this game. I do wish the general movement speed was a little bit faster, though.

I've just had a run where I got the D20 altar on the first chamber and rolled a speed boost. I honestly don't even want to start another run, because the haste buff speed is exactly what the default speed should be and I don't want to go back the lovely base speed. The boss-fights felt so loving good with the haste buff, I could outmaneuver the homing projectiles, properly dodge the bullet patterns. Beholster with haste was the most fun bossfight I've had.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

CJacobs posted:

Pace isn't how long it takes to finish the game.

It is amazing how they managed to make a bullet hell shooter slow and easy, that takes a lot of creativity.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Finally got a win on run #27 (got close a couple other times, but hosed up on the Dragun). It really feels lame to scale up the health of the enemies based on whatever floor you're on, because it feels like you're losing strength constantly due to the lack of damage+ items. Unless you stumble upon a really good room clearing weapon and a really good boss killing weapon, you start to spiral down to the point where you are constantly struggling for ammo because the shotgun shell gundead take 2.5x more damage to kill and I can't be hosed to sit there plinking away with the starter weapon to save my ammo for where it matters. I mean, veteran enemy types already exist; just spawn less of the basic types and more of the veterans instead of fudging the health to 'increase difficulty'. Sometimes I feel like the game would also benefit from having smaller max ammo capacities, but letting you restock (take maybe 15-20 seconds in combat/instant outside of combat, and refill your ammo to max) so that the player never feels they have to play around with ammo conservation in a game about shooting everything.

Whoever said pickup spawn rates increase the longer you play also seems to be right, as I had a lot more health and ammo pickups to work with past the first 15 runs or so. Unlocking the health+ items from the store should also be a priority for anyone who struggles to get a perfect clear on the bosses. I can usually manage to get one or two a run, but most of the time I gently caress up once near the end of the fight and lose it.

I'll still play the game every once in a while, but I'll probably wait for balance changes or modding (to make my own balance changes) before jumping into the game more seriously to try and 100% it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Yeah, the "Basic Enemies from Floor 1 Show up on The Follower Floors but with their Health Increased!!" is poor gameplay design.