Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
So I just went back to "Heavenly Jewel Change", after having dropped it after a few chapters the first time I picked it up when the main character rapes the female lead when his powers awaken (don't worry, he couldn't control his actions and really she's lucky that he didn't kill her too :jerkbag:). Anyways, I decided to power past that point and try reading it again, because the magic system is actually pretty interesting and unique compared to a lot of the genre.

Cut to 50 chapters of relatively inoffensive and occasionally good material later when the main character, with virtually no provocation, uses some bullshit bets to essentially cheat several actually decent side characters into being his slave for life. They are literally bound by blood to be his slave for life, because he tricked them into contests he knew that he would win. WHY!? Why do you do this to me, Xianxia novels? Why can't you give me an interesting world AND a MC who isn't literally Hitler? Why do I subject myself to this poo poo? The terrible part is that despite all the bullshit, the interesting world compared to other generic genre poo poo is basically forcing me to keep reading.

Anyways, rant over. I just needed to get that off my chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Silynt posted:

They are literally bound by blood to be his slave for life

Anyways, rant over. I just needed to get that off my chest.

A few other gems (hohoho) from the most successful author in xianxia:

MC: "I'd rather die than be a slave". He then proceeds to enslave these fellows. :psyduck: He also buys off his classmates with free equipment, just like the nobles he hates on.

van fem fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 30, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Do followers who are not lifelong blood slaves or whatever even exist in that setting?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Since this thread is also the unofficial wuxia/xianxia thread, I think The Gosu fits pretty well here. It's a Korean web comic about a muscle wizard eating dumplings and casting fist at assholes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
fanfiction is kosher too right

I really liked the final chapter of volume 7 of Konosuba. A man with nothing to his name but great luck is partnered with a dumb as hell but ridiculously powerful supernatural being, and proceeds to cheat his way into power and wealth. He's incredibly selfish, routinely disgusts the people around him, and is driven entirely by his vices (particularly greed and lust). And whenever he's left to his own devices he almost always chooses to just laze his time away in his giant mansion instead of doing something productive.

Now am I talking about Kazuma, or Alderp?

It's a surprisingly subtle parallel.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Mar 31, 2016

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

imfrustrtd
Apr 24, 2010
Kumo has been dropped

quote:

It is with a heavy heart that I announce that Okina Baba (Author of Kumo desu ga, Nani ka?) has announced that she’ll no longer continue writing the ‘Kumo desu ga, Nani ka?’ WN.

She has stated this is so she can focus on her newest work as well as her intention to continue the story in the LNs.

Unfortunately we have no intention of translating the LN as there are potential legal issues with doing so. We do not want to risk receiving a DMCA and losing our hard work.

It’s been a fun ride, but unfortunately this is the end

Could sorta see this coming due to the extended bout of writers block the author had, but at least she's not dropping it entirely.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

oh good, now i actually have a chance to catch up

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Actually that announcement was a bad April fools' joke.

Still could end up being prophetic though. The web novel raws have been stalled for 6 weeks now.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yeah, there's nothing but the march 1st blog post on the author page on Narou, so unless they have some hidden news source (they didn't cite), it's quite likely fake.

In other Kumoko news: the second novel has been out for a few weeks, but I've only just ordered it. I'll summarize the changes again, when it's delivered.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 31, 2016

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
World of Cultivation is proving to be the slow-burn novel that I enjoy the most. It manages to completely sidestep the most terrible portions of Xanxia while being really enjoyable. My only complaint is that, because it's so slow in developing, one chapter a day feels really bad.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Algid posted:

Since this thread is also the unofficial wuxia/xianxia thread, I think The Gosu fits pretty well here. It's a Korean web comic about a muscle wizard eating dumplings and casting fist at assholes.

Just read it. Very good.

I'd also avoid all translation and scanlation sites like the plague on April first. ~Hilarious editing~ seems to be all too common.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The latest chapter of issth was, well... It was sure something.

So all that stuff with the ji fishing rod erasing Meng Hao's karma had nothing to do with Meng Hao or his missing parents. Meng Li was upset because the resurrection lily was going to be erased along with Meng Hao, and that thing is her son somehow. I'm not really sure I understand the life cycle of that parasitic plant at all.

I guess the only indication of Meng Hao's parents was one of the many sentient corpses hanging out, then? The one I mean was just a torso that was related to the black sieve sect somehow.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 1, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh, right. April Fool's. Fuckers got me.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Not sure if this is ihe translation, but Meng Li and 'Immortal Li' do not shared the same name, the Li character used is different.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
No you see it's not Li, it's Lee, and not that Lee but THAT Lee and gently caress it too many homophones in Chinese.

FYI, Li and Zhang are pretty much two of the most common names in Chinese. The phrase "Zhang San Li Si (Third Zhang Fourth Li)" can be best translated as "Tom, Dick, or Jerry" and usually is used in the same context.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mahou Shoujo Magical ☆ Kumoko-chan

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
Wrap it up, novelailures. We've hit peak reincarnation. I was Reborn as a Vending Machine, Wandering in the Dungeon

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

filthychimp posted:

Wrap it up, novelailures. We've hit peak reincarnation. I was Reborn as a Vending Machine, Wandering in the Dungeon

why

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
7 chapters of Ze Tian Je has been released today.

It completes the final battle of the Grand Examination.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

filthychimp posted:

My love of vending machines has turned me into the Demon Class (really wolf) monster, Vendomatic! Tremble before my might!

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007
Oh hey, Krytyk finally finished translating OSO Chapter 8.

Link

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Think you mean Volume 8 there. And "finally" is kind of disingenuous too because as soon as he came back from his break he just blazed through chapters 2-7, but eh.

Anyway volume 8 was pretty cozy.

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
Immortal Sword Emperor is great, there's tons of moves borrowed from League of Legends, like Garen's abilities (even combod in the LoL way!) and Jarvan

In of itself it's not very original or that well written, but the fact it borrows so many elements of LoL is enough for me to keep reading it out of amusement

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Level 0 Aikido. "Japanese martial arts is the greatest-" yeah nope not going any further. At least try to disguise your nationalist pandering a bit better yeah? I had to at least get to the "all Chinese = terrorist" parts of Mahouka to truly throw it away in disgust, this just makes me cringe right from the get-go.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Man, Invaders of the Six-Tatami-Mat Flat started off nice and cozy, but the more it dipped into harem shenanigans the worse it got. It was still okay by virtue of the characters not being completely overbearing about it, but then volume 12 rolled around and ugh. Uuuuuugh.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Man, Invaders of the Six-Tatami-Mat Flat started off nice and cozy, but the more it dipped into harem shenanigans the worse it got. It was still okay by virtue of the characters not being completely overbearing about it, but then volume 12 rolled around and ugh. Uuuuuugh.

The anime was okay, didn't really get anywhere in particular, but it sounds like it's a good thing they didn't make more of it. (I think they covered maybe 4-6 books?)

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013

jwang posted:

Level 0 Aikido. "Japanese martial arts is the greatest-" yeah nope not going any further. At least try to disguise your nationalist pandering a bit better yeah? I had to at least get to the "all Chinese = terrorist" parts of Mahouka to truly throw it away in disgust, this just makes me cringe right from the get-go.

I don't get these complaints, really. Of course Japanese novels are going to heavily favor japanese, just like how american media/hollywood has an extreme bias for USA.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Just because Hollywood does it too doesn't suddenly make it okay.

Unless you are claiming everyone in this thread is secretly a Hollywood writer and we are all being hypocrites.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
It's not so much as there's nationalist pandering as more of unjustified nationalist pandering. Just like how I can't read most of the modern setting Chinese web-novels simply because of how much they play up the "5000 years of history" culture crap, I really can't take the automatic assumption that having "Made in Japan" stamped on the label automatically makes something great. No, the best swords aren't katanas, the best martial arts aren't Japanese either. The Japanese are simply better at propagating the idea that they are. Similarly: no, America doesn't necessarily have the best military forces, internet, or spies, and no, Russia, China, and other non-US aligned countries aren't in a huge conspiracy to blow up the world. I need a reasonable cause to overlook nationalist pandering in my entertainment, otherwise it just constantly bothers me that "magic pills" is just a propaganda machine to cut spending on government assistance for medicine.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

jwang posted:

Did you actually read any of it because it has nothing to do with nationalism and is more like a one-punch man or helck or a chuck norris joke. The dude defeats the grandmaster of his school as a toddler and it goes from there.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I really wish that Men Hao didn't insist on choosing the absolutely least interesting love interest.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Take a moment to think about how most other web novels handle relationships and female characters in general, then be grateful that the worst thing you can say about this character is that she's slightly less interesting than the competition. Also, part of what makes many of the other women in the story so interesting is that they all have their own goals and ambitions and would gladly sacrifice Meng Hao to further those goals, which might explain why he's in no hurry to shack up with any of them.

I'm just glad ISSTH finally jumped on the reincarnation bandwagon, it opens up so many new ways for Meng Hao to screw people over.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

dipple posted:

The dude defeats the grandmaster of his school as a toddler and it goes from there.

lol

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

She is the least interesting love interest, but Er Gen seems aware of that since (minor spoiler about the entire series) as a whole she's not the female character that gets the most screen time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Meng Hao values peaceful times, probably because he doesn't get very many of them. His relationship with Xu Qing is somehow very peaceful despite how the time they spend together never being peaceful in any way. She is more interesting than his fiance who he met one time and then immediately ditched, at least.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
I have a feeling the next couple chapters of ISSTH are gonna be funny.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah the ending to the double chapter was great. I'm also glad that the pagoda story is moving quickly, I was worried this was going to be a long arc similar to the migration of the Crow Divinity tribe.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't see how anyone is ever supposed to do the pagoda without cheating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Serious Frolicking posted:

I don't see how anyone is ever supposed to do the pagoda without cheating.

I don't think you *are* supposed to, really. Talented people can get a good reward by reaching level 10, really skilled people can make it to 20, and presumably true elites could make it to 40 or 50 (note that they aren't participating this time around), but above that you either have to be ludicrously good, or you have to follow true Cultivator tradition and cheat your rear end off at every last opportunity.

• Locked thread