Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Dr. Fetus posted:

She has a different attitude if you never revealed yourself to her in episode 4. Or at the very least, revealed yourself, but didn't shock her. On the flip side, rescuing her gives you have an opportunity to kick her out of the air vent in the power core. And why wouldn't you take the opportunity to deal with the traitor yourself? :getin:

I don't remember if I revealed myself to her or not, but I definitely know I tased her. She had it coming.

Something else worth noting is just how different that scene in Jack's office plays out if you didn't agree to work with him. While it ends up in a similar fashion (naturally), it sure doesn't start that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Trusting Jack got Loader Bot killed you Huge Jerks! :argh:

I hope you're happy with yourselves. :smith:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh man, I'm starting to get a reaaaal bad feeling. The news that Jack can upload himself into human-shaped robotic endoskeletons? The reveal that the shotgun dude's weird clothes are a Hyperion radiation suit? What are the chances that we get to the end of the game, that helmet comes off, and it's Jack? :gonk:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
So what's the headcount on allies and allies-turned-enemy that are gone so far? Scooter and Loaderbot have hit me the hardest, Vaughn being out of commission for so long hurt as well, and there's the potential buddy lost to not letting Jack into Rhys's systems as well.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

My very favorite title sequence. I have a LOT of stuff to say about Episode 5 and not all of it is good, but I'll hold out until the end.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

tlarn posted:

So what's the headcount on allies and allies-turned-enemy that are gone so far? Scooter and Loaderbot have hit me the hardest, Vaughn being out of commission for so long hurt as well, and there's the potential buddy lost to not letting Jack into Rhys's systems as well.

Speaking of, since Jack is the one that hacked that guy, do they go with the protagonists or Jack when the inevitable betrayal occurs?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Speaking of, since Jack is the one that hacked that guy, do they go with the protagonists or Jack when the inevitable betrayal occurs?

If you reject Hyperion, Dumpy dies in the ensuing kerfuffle. If you rule Hyperion, Dumpy lives on to the very end. :patriot:

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh man, I'm starting to get a reaaaal bad feeling. The news that Jack can upload himself into human-shaped robotic endoskeletons? The reveal that the shotgun dude's weird clothes are a Hyperion radiation suit? What are the chances that we get to the end of the game, that helmet comes off, and it's Jack? :gonk:

He's sure not acting like Jack. Does Jack seem like the sort of person who would do anything anonymously?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Loader Bot sent Rhys off with a bro-fist. :allears:

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Yeah, if it was Jack we'd already know it because he wouldn't be able to resist shouting about how he's Handsome goddamn Jack.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Suspicious Cook posted:

I don't remember if I revealed myself to her or not, but I definitely know I tased her. She had it coming.

If you spare Yvette she does show up later, though it's not much more than a cameo.

Really, Borderlands seems to be one of the better Telltale games in regards to reflecting your choices. Especially near the end (you'll see)

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

In case people are glossing over it, in order to escape and save his own life Rhys just destroyed Helios. I don't know exactly what sort of population that station had but I'm willing to guess it was probably in the tens of thousands, and we'd have to be at least a little generous to assume they're all adult Hyperion employees and not families, prisoners and other relatively blameless bystanders. A bold choice, considering it was just said how the Helios scenes last episode went a ways to humanizing Hyperion as a real workplace filled with regular people (or at least yuppies).

I mean, taking the long view it's probably for the best, considering A) Hyperion is an evil corporation even if individual people in it are regular-ish like Rhys and friends and B) leaving the station in AI Handsome Jack's hands is as good as letting the original Handsome Jack come back to life, which is Bad, but talk about breaking a few eggs to make an omelette. Did Rhys consider the consequences of his actions there at all or did he just go for it?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Dolash posted:

In case people are glossing over it, in order to escape and save his own life Rhys just destroyed Helios. I don't know exactly what sort of population that station had but I'm willing to guess it was probably in the tens of thousands, and we'd have to be at least a little generous to assume they're all adult Hyperion employees and not families, prisoners and other relatively blameless bystanders. A bold choice, considering it was just said how the Helios scenes last episode went a ways to humanizing Hyperion as a real workplace filled with regular people (or at least yuppies).

I mean, taking the long view it's probably for the best, considering A) Hyperion is an evil corporation even if individual people in it are regular-ish like Rhys and friends and B) leaving the station in AI Handsome Jack's hands is as good as letting the original Handsome Jack come back to life, which is Bad, but talk about breaking a few eggs to make an omelette. Did Rhys consider the consequences of his actions there at all or did he just go for it?

Like most people, Rhys is a Survival First kind of person.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Dolash posted:

I don't think Rhys ever intended to crash Helios. He just wanted to shut Jack down and not only did he not have a better way to do it, I think it really did slip his mind that Helios's orbit isn't quite natural.

That said, the fact that he probably just snuffed out thousands upon thousands of lives is going to come up in game.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

CuwiKhons posted:

That said, the fact that he probably just snuffed out thousands upon thousands of lives is going to come up in game.

A hero like Jack doesn't go down easily.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Considering the alternative of Crisis Through Infinite Jacks, i think Rhys might have saved more lives than he has ended, in the long run.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Rhys destroying Helios is definitely a thing that gets brought up in game and I'll certainly have things to say about it during the next video; just that for the sake of pacing I wanted to end the video there.

It's really astounding that Telltale was allowed to do it in the first place. The destruction of Helios is something people have clamored for for a while in the past and to see it happen in -- as I've said a hundred times before -- what I thought was going to be a fun little side story rocked my world. Rhys and Jack have a lot in common, and him killing thousands of people to achieve his goal is another on the pile. It's up in the air whether he was aware of what the outcome would be. I probably could have played him more into being "the hero of the story" if you look at some of the possible dialogue choices I had. As is I think his priority was "stop Jack" and he didn't stop to consider the consequences... but they'll sink in in time.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

We can't heap all the blame on Rhys, who the hell designs a space station so lovely that it can be brought down by walking into an unsecured area and swatting four cables with a taser?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dolash posted:

I don't think Rhys was doing it to escape, but more to kill Jack. Which y'know doesn't change how many people he killed, but maybe it was a little less selfish than just trying to save his own hide.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Loader bot and Scooter where the scenes that choked me up the most during my playthrough of this game. This is definitely the Darkest Hour of the game, even if we're stopping mid-segment for pacing reason.

So, to completely break the mood, when discussing Jack's awesome executive chair with a friend last chapter I mistakenly said that there was a dedicated button that caused it to digistruct pizza on the desk, misremembering the scene you get if you choose to order pizza as your first big decision as President of Hyperion. In actuality, you choose the option from the computer monitor and the pizza just kind of falls onto the desk from some vent in the ceiling.

I think that a dedicated pizza digistructor would be cooler, personally, but that's me. Since Kaubocks did not include a poll this update, please amuse yourself by sharing your opinion: Is Digistructed Pizza or Mystery Vent Pizza a more appetizing choice?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Can we vote on which title card is the best yet? Cause I think it's a toss -up between all of them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Crasical posted:

Is Digistructed Pizza or Mystery Vent Pizza a more appetizing choice?

digistructed pizza may look delicious but has been known to lead to dangerous situations

1stGear posted:

Can we vote on which title card is the best yet? Cause I think it's a toss -up between all of them.

Hey I'm not gonna stop anyone. :v:

They're all super, super cool. If I had to pick an absolute favorite it would be an extremely close call between 2 and 5, leaning towards 5 largely because of the destruction of Helios. A lot of people really like 4 though and I can't really argue against that.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I think I would probably just order a pizza and get it for free when it takes the delivery car forever to get to Helios. I mean, it would be cold, but cold pizza is still good pizza.

Stakes are getting raised, things are getting hot and that's not just from re-entry. Looking forward to more. (also I like the angry way Rhys says "k bye")

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh come on you can't do loaderbot like that. That's just bathetic.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Kaubocks posted:

digistructed pizza may look delicious but has been known to lead to dangerous situations

I thought those where holograms. :confused:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hostile V posted:

I mean, it would be cold, but cold pizza is still good pizza.

You monster.

Digistructed pizza, definitely. Mystery Vent Pizza sounds appetizing, but there's a chance it could have pineapple on it, and that's not a risk I can bring myself to take.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Captain Bravo posted:

You monster.

Digistructed pizza, definitely. Mystery Vent Pizza sounds appetizing, but there's a chance it could have pineapple on it, and that's not a risk I can bring myself to take.
You monster.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
Wait so was your implication there that the stranger was Loader Bot if so, that's the best thing ever.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Anti-Citizen posted:

Wait so was your implication there that the stranger was Loader Bot if so, that's the best thing ever.

Okay, if it is him, he somehow didn't die after being shot in the face repeatedly and got back to Jack's office to hijack the endoskeleton. I have no idea how long it would take Helios to fall, so I guess that could work. Only other people we know are still on Helios is Yvette and that one gangster. Can't see either of them as the Stranger; not enough rage.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

HenryEx posted:

Considering the alternative of Crisis Through Infinite Jacks, i think Rhys might have saved more lives than he has ended, in the long run.

Yeah, Jack in his most recent form is basically an extinction-level event with the ability to move between solar systems. Everybody on Helios was dead, they just hadn't realized it yet.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Someone asked me about that in private yesterday and nah, I wasn't implying anything, it's just extremely poor timing on my part. I just wanted to point out another piece of the puzzle falling into place and literally didn't even think about who was on screen at the time.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Tempest_56 posted:

Yeah, Jack in his most recent form is basically an extinction-level event with the ability to move between solar systems. Everybody on Helios was dead, they just hadn't realized it yet.

Look at you, Rhys. A pathetic creature of meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, goddamn handsome machine?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
You bastards got Loader Bot killed. Shame on all of you forever.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

Look at you, Rhys. A pathetic creature of meat and bone. Panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, goddamn handsome machine?

Game's way ahead of you.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Edmond Dantes posted:

"Look at you, dick. A pathetic creature of meat and bone. Well, not so much meat. I mean, come on, you're a junior executive-turned-janitor. How much time are you putting in at the gym? Panting and sweating as you scramble around the corridors like a hamster. A hamster in an admittedly nice outfit, I can't really fault you there. You've got some style. Not as much as me, but we can't all be me, right? How can you possibly challenge me, a perfect goddamn handsome machine?"

Sorry, I had to pump up the Jack in that quote :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

HenryEx posted:

Game's way ahead of you.

There are no original jokes anymore. :negative:

Vicissitude posted:

How much time are you putting in at the gym? You should really learn from your weirdly ripped friend.

Not even Jack disses on Vaughn's muscles. :v:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I should play System Shock 2 one of these days

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Not even Jack disses on Vaughn's muscles. :v:

Even better. High five!

Kaubocks posted:

I should play System Shock 2 one of these days

Next LP confirmed.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It's been awhile since I played the game so I can't remember: do we get any good views of the sky during the present day segments? I imagine Helios missing would stand out if we did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It's been awhile since I played the game so I can't remember: do we get any good views of the sky during the present day segments? I imagine Helios missing would stand out if we did.

This takes place after Borderlands 2 and everything else so Helios is still up in all versions of those games.

It's weird that Telltale was allowed to be the ones to make the game that destroys Helios. Amazing, though. That thing was such a fixture in the setting.

• Locked thread