Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

...and got nailed by two shots in the exact same spot on the back of my knee within twenty seconds of each other.

This was the result of blocking a shot on the inside of my thigh where I already had a bruise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My brain saw an rear end ... I was expecting to see balls from behind. My brain has seen to much Internet.

Duke Chin, I'll check into renton again, their schedule didn't elude to a crazy awesome 12 hour stick and puck session as it looked as if they had other stuff going on throughout the day.

Verman fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 12, 2016

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Some stupid tryhard broke my thumb "clearing the crease"

He also kneed me so hard I felt it in my testicles later

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

BUT TWO APPLES BITCHES TIME TO WHEEL SOME FINE TENS LOVE THE FLOW

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

TOP CHEDDAR ON THAT DIME NURSE THAT ULTRASOUNDED MY BALLSACK

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

Duke Chin, I'll check into renton again, their schedule didn't elude to a crazy awesome 12 hour stick and puck session as it looked as if they had other stuff going on throughout the day.

Yeah some days will have Jamie Huscroft's drop in hockey for an hour in the middle, then an ice cut, then back to stick n puck for another bunch of hours. Always check the schedule before heading out so you don't end up driving out there and finding out they rented the ice to a high school science class for most of the day like someone here who shall remain nameless cause he's dumb.

<-----

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

drizzle posted:

Someone came up to me after my game yesterday and apologized for running me into the boards it was the weirdest thing ever

i do that like every game and usually during the game

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tremendous Taste posted:

Some stupid tryhard broke my thumb "clearing the crease"

He also kneed me so hard I felt it in my testicles later

You consented to it by lacing up, welcome to beer league chump.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

That, but unironically

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
gently caress, I'm at that point where hockey feels like a chore. gently caress.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You're not a freshmen co-ed at the football team's party, learn to say no?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

also learn to post in the goalies thread thanks

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

Can someone remind me how to find that thread?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Can someone remind me how to find that thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2759111&pagenumber=291#lastpost

It's quiet in there for now.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

gently caress it, we goalies are going to take away all of your posting space in here instead.

Update from UK thunderdome: Our game on Sunday got abandoned following a bench clearance into the time keepers bench.

Hockey in the UK folks, its cool and good!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's neither of those things, if only for the fact that you can't figure out a sane skate far enough in advance to let me bring my gear over when I travel there for work.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A bloke said he hadn't played hockey in 20 years, so I figured hey, I might be able to keep up!

Dude was literally twice as fast as me and danced around every other person on the ice. Holy poo poo guy, keep playing, you still got it. It's kind of maddening trying to build up to that kind of speed, i'm getting low and pushing, I just can't get the same amount of speed up. I probably need to be lower.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zip! posted:

gently caress it, we goalies are going to take away all of your posting space in here instead.

Not with those moves, I'm gonna top shelf posts all day until you break your keyboard over your monitor.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

sellouts posted:

It's neither of those things, if only for the fact that you can't figure out a sane skate far enough in advance to let me bring my gear over when I travel there for work.

I don't know what you're talking about - 11pm ice slots are the poo poo :/ Last night when we got out all the highways were closed and so it took about 2 hours to do a 20 mile journey to get home via all the diversions. Work is fun today.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
gently caress, I've been playing through some groin pain for the last couple of months and it finally got bad enough for me to go to the doctor. Turns out I've got a sports hernia so I guess I'm out of action for a few months except for PT. :suicide:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just in time for NHL playoffs, pretty convenient if you ask me.

Especially considering how many 8:30 pm starts they have scheduled.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Just in time for NHL playoffs, pretty convenient if you ask me.

Especially considering how many 8:30 pm starts they have scheduled.

Just in time for me to not have paid my summer league fees yet, at least.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Zip! posted:

I don't know what you're talking about - 11pm ice slots are the poo poo :/ Last night when we got out all the highways were closed and so it took about 2 hours to do a 20 mile journey to get home via all the diversions. Work is fun today.

i would play then if you told me it was regular and i could and it was worth bringing my gear. if that stuff exists tell me because i'll let you know when i'm due in town. i'm likely to head over to your side of the world at some point and if work is paying i'll schlep my gear.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

sellouts posted:

i would play then if you told me it was regular and i could and it was worth bringing my gear. if that stuff exists tell me because i'll let you know when i'm due in town. i'm likely to head over to your side of the world at some point and if work is paying i'll schlep my gear.

jealous of this

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

I can confirm, he'll take his gear with the promise of any ice time.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

sellouts posted:

Who the hell cares? Hockey's hockey. Besides, if you don't listen to what goalies brag about, you'll never learn how to play offense. :cheeky:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

shut up rook

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If anyone has more money than sense and insists on buying skates from a local place, I believe Bauer has officially marked down the supreme mx3s down to 499. At least that's the price locally now.

My supremes that are 2 revisions old at this point are still a great pair of skates and I've abused the hell out of them. I didn't pay near 499 but hey better than 799 or whatever they were going for last week.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Played our second payoff game tonight, much better game as it was close the whole game.

We were down 4-2 going into the third with a power play. I drew a penalty on the pp so we pulled the goalie and had 6 on 3.

We scored on a slapshot from the point with a minute left. It was nice to almost come back ... but then our team imploded.

One guy who constantly forgets which line he's on got confused all game and mixed up lines constantly. He would get caught not paying attention and miss his line change. We would notice only 4 skaters on the ice and someone would jump on. A few moments later he stands up and asks "what the hell why did i get skipped again?" He would play a shift, take a penalty, come out of the box and play another shift then wonder why the lines are screwed up. Thanks to his penalties and double shifts, I played 1.5 shifts the first period.

We also have another guy who is very talented but has pretty poo poo bench manners. He yells and hollers, I think mostly out of frustration due to the fact that he's one of the better guys on the team with a lot of playing experience and has difficulty with players who struggle with basics. Several payers have voiced they won't return if it continues next season.

Our captain started playing hockey at 40, so maybe 6 years ago. He might be one of the lesser skilled guys on the team but the biggest problems are that he doesn't really know hockey therefore he makes some bad calls and he's terrible at leading. Hes a nice guy though and being a captain loving sucks so I can't say much. We've got guys that played high level high school hockey and know how to set up plays and breakouts but don't want to step on toes.

I just joined this team this season after moving here so I'm sitting back watching it unfold. Seattle hockey, people are too loving nice.

:jerky:

Beerleague.txt

Dale Meets Wall
Aug 17, 2004

Dale will always steer you in the RIGHT direction!
I played my first full game on Defense last night. We were short on D and my buddy volunteered us to pair up. We lost 10-8 and I ended up being a +/- 0 so it didn't go too bad. Played pretty well, blocked a few shots and had the primary assist on a SH breakaway. Made a few bad decisions trying to make a play in the final minutes but my partner and goalie were there to bail me out. Was pretty fun, may try that again sometime.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

Dale Meets Wall posted:

I played my first full game on Defense last night. We were short on D and my buddy volunteered us to pair up. We lost 10-8 and I ended up being a +/- 0 so it didn't go too bad. Played pretty well, blocked a few shots and had the primary assist on a SH breakaway. Made a few bad decisions trying to make a play in the final minutes but my partner and goalie were there to bail me out. Was pretty fun, may try that again sometime.

defense is the best fense. welcome to the club.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would like defense more if I only played defense. Randomly bouncing between wing and defense depending on the mood of the team is a lot harder than I would have predicted.. it takes a while to get my brain in the right mode.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I like playing the Mike Green style of defense

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I like playing the Mike Green style of defense

E: I really like it!!!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Got a chance to try that face the flag drill yesterday, pretty great. Now I just need to find some open ice where I can do it for like an hour and actually transition on my weak side without coming to a near-complete stop. My weak side stop is getting pretty good but I still find that I never, ever do it in a game situation, only when I'm deliberately practicing it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Last night during warm ups I accidentally ripped a slapper right off my goalie's neck protector, almost hitting him in the throat.

I was all :stonk: "poo poo dude, sorry!" and he was all :shrug:+:laugh: "do it again."

Goalies is weird.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Duke Chin posted:

Last night during warm ups I accidentally ripped a slapper right off my goalie's neck protector, almost hitting him in the throat.

I was all :stonk: "poo poo dude, sorry!" and he was all :shrug:+:laugh: "do it again."

Goalies is weird.

I have a buddy who used to be a goalie and in high school he let slip to his teammates that he actually doesn't mind taking one right off the mask in warmups because it like wakes him up or something like that. Said he thought it made him play better. So of course for the rest of the season his teammates were nice enough to send a few head high his way during warmups.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
That's pretty much what mine said last night when we were gearing up for the game (and why I was even taking slapshots that high on him in the first place). He made a crack about no one on our team even being able to get one that high anyway, and that it "kinda wakes him up".

I just never wanted to ACTUALLY put one at his head, and especially not his throat; I was aiming for his chest. :smuggo:

It gets even weirder...

During post game beers...

we found out...

...he's a vegetarian. :monocle:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I actually only know of one goalie that will flip the gently caress out if you hit him in the mask. He's a total hot head insane person that was banned from our rink for a few years, the building not just the league, for breaking a guys arm Ron Hextall style. He would chirp at people the entire time, yell at his teammates, yell at the opposing team, yell at the refs. Every once in a while it was fun to send one in at head level and watch him go berserk, so long as he didn't actually get to you and break your bones. Then off the ice he'd be all calm and nice. Oh hey, nice game, see you next week!

For most goalies I will go out of my way to apologize to if I hit them in the head or around the neck and most will just be like, no problem, better off my head than in the net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Only time I've gotten mad at somebody for hitting my head was when a guy takes a point blank slapper at the hash marks and somehow manages to golf it.