Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I don't dislike Witcher 3's mechanics but they are a bit thin for the full game.

Definitely. W3s mechanics would be fine if the game was like 70 hours shorter but they definitely wear out their welcome a long time before the end.

Still a great game though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Kanfy posted:

I'm glad they changed the name so that I can immediately recognize this as that one SMT game that features the apocalypse.

Here's an interesting post about translating a title of a game: http://atlus.com/whats-in-a-name-smtiv-final-and-localizing-a-name/

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Witcher 3 has great writing and good side quests but the combat is mediocre, crafting is tedious, the world is massive but there's not really anything interesting to find and the middle third of the game is a bit of a slog. It's definitely the best big budget WRPG in the last few years but it still has a lot of problems.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

WrightOfWay posted:

The Witcher 3 has great writing and good side quests but the combat is mediocre, crafting is tedious, the world is massive but there's not really anything interesting to find and the middle third of the game is a bit of a slog. It's definitely the best big budget WRPG in the last few years but it still has a lot of problems.

If you like exploring for the sake of it, the game is really quite amazing. My steam library has more shots from Witcher 3 than any other game I own. But most chests have bunkum, random rewards so it's kind of meh if you're exploring trying to get everything. I had more fun just finding new vistas than anything else.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

WrightOfWay posted:

You can dislike a lot of things about W3, but saying there isn't much to find in the world is a huge stretch.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Levantine posted:

If you like exploring for the sake of it, the game is really quite amazing. My steam library has more shots from Witcher 3 than any other game I own. But most chests have bunkum, random rewards so it's kind of meh if you're exploring trying to get everything. I had more fun just finding new vistas than anything else.

Too bad you have to constantly run away from the bandits with ragged scraps for clothing that for some insane reason are 10 levels above Geralt. I did enjoy the first couple of hours but the level system killed most of my enthusiasm for the game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Renoistic posted:

Too bad you have to constantly run away from the bandits with ragged scraps for clothing that for some insane reason are 10 levels above Geralt. I did enjoy the first couple of hours but the level system killed most of my enthusiasm for the game.

I only found that an issue in the early game. By the time I was able to go to Skellige there wasn't much that was better served running away from Geralt.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Witcher 3 is neat because Geralt actually has a character, unlike a lot of open worldy RPG games. And it's a pretty good character, too. I haven't found the time to actually get back to playing it yet, though. If I do, I might play it on the easiest mode because the story and characters seem more interesting than the actual mechanics.

Well the PC not having a personality is kind of the point if you are talking about stuff like Skyrim. You invent your own characterization based on your imagination and your actions.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

Well the PC not having a personality is kind of the point if you are talking about stuff like Skyrim. You invent your own characterization based on your imagination and your actions.

Yeah but that doesn't make it interesting, some people aren't really into that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Skyrim's problem is more that the writing is absolute garbage.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Andrast posted:

Skyrim's problem is more that the writing is absolute garbage.

The writing, most of the world that isn't another copy-pasted dungeon, the combat, magic, the character level design, the plot...

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Morpheus posted:

The writing, most of the world that isn't another copy-pasted dungeon, the combat, magic, the character level design, the plot...

All fixed with every tit-spike/anime-face/dragons-spew-doritos mod you could ever need off of Nexus and all you have to do is deal with the most difficult and strange personalities on the internet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is it popular to hate on Skyrim here then?

I liked it. 150+ hours and I still had so much more to do. The plot was whatever. It wasn't bad or brilliant, it was just kinda there. You can completely ignore it, anyway.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Skyrim is fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I liked it. 150+ hours and I still had so much more to do. The plot was whatever. It wasn't bad or brilliant, it was just kinda there. You can completely ignore it, anyway.

Bethesda games are terrible awful games that nobody likes that they play for 150 hours and buy as soon as they come out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I mean, Morrowind is maybe better but my god it hasn't aged well.

I also hate the Daedric Shrines that are just death traps. I was so excited to find one my first time because Morrowind was my first TES game and I wanted to see these Daedric Princes. But nope, they are just places full of enemies and maybe some loot. Skyrim having one Shrine per Prince and having a quest delivered there was smart.

Has anyone played Morroblivion? I gotta look into that sometime.

ImpAtom posted:

Bethesda games are terrible awful games that nobody likes that they play for 150 hours and buy as soon as they come out.

Oh I know the world at large loves them. But SA can be quite contrarian. Never know what people here might hate with a passion.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

skyrim is bad. however, the dbz mod for skyrim that allows me to throw kienzans at bears, is not.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

NikkolasKing posted:

Skyrim/Bethesda games in general is literally the most mainstream, normie video game outside of like COD so of course it's unpopular here.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

eh i played fallout 4 for about 10 hours before i died of boredom so they're getting worse at even that

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Davincie posted:

eh i played fallout 4 for about 10 hours before i died of boredom so they're getting worse at even that

Did you miss the guy in the Steam thread saying he was "hateplaying" Fallout 4 for six hours a day.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, Morrowind is maybe better but my god it hasn't aged well.

I also hate the Daedric Shrines that are just death traps. I was so excited to find one my first time because Morrowind was my first TES game and I wanted to see these Daedric Princes. But nope, they are just places full of enemies and maybe some loot. Skyrim having one Shrine per Prince and having a quest delivered there was smart.

Has anyone played Morroblivion? I gotta look into that sometime.

I have and if you really liked dumpy-face oblivion models and oblivion combat you'll love it. It works fine its just that oblivion is not great either so it didn't excite me mjch

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thankfully yes because that is a retarded concept

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

mycot posted:

Skyrim/Bethesda games in general is literally the most mainstream, normie video game outside of like COD so of course it's unpopular here.

If it's not super serious grimdark fantasy or anime dating sims, then count me out.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

exquisite tea posted:

If it's not super serious grimdark fantasy or anime dating sims, then count me out.

Is there such a thing already as super serious grim dark fantasy anime dating sims? Because if not, that concept might just be golden...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fate Stay Night

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Is there such a thing already as super serious grim dark fantasy anime dating sims? Because if not, that concept might just be golden...

Yes, it's called Dragon Age.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Motto posted:

Fate Stay Night

Is Tsukihime darker? Either way, it competes.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

bloodychill posted:

Agarest has a ridiculous convoluted metaplot doesn't it?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, it's called Dragon Age.

most bioware games really

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Agarest has a ridiculous convoluted metaplot doesn't it?
unlike bioware games, agarest has an actual funny joke

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

It's called Agarest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

agarest has better combat, a more interesting plot, and is less demeaning to women than dragon age inquisition

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

agarest has better combat, a more interesting plot, and is less demeaning to women than dragon age inquisition

How is DAI demeaning to women?

Serious question, I forgot everything about that game as soon as I finished it (other than it being bad)

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

The dakimakura case wasn't very soft though, knocked a star off my review

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Andrast posted:

How is DAI demeaning to women?

Serious question, I forgot everything about that game as soon as I finished it (other than it being bad)
im mostly just exaggerating for comedic effect but i do find bioware's weird mix of pretending to be really progressive while basically being the same as every other western fantasy thing kind of stupid.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sera was just a terrible person. That's not a mark against women.

The main writer of DA being gay and all, I'm hardly surprised the games are very progressive. They're also full of cliches and stereotypes because those are fun and people like them. Thus, the games appeal to mainstream and LGBT audiences.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

Just one funny joke, apparently.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The Dragon Age series is really popular with women so I don't think it's too demeaning.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

The Dragon Age series is really popular with women so I don't think it's too demeaning.

NikkolasKing posted:

Sera was just a terrible person. That's not a mark against women.

The main writer of DA being gay and all, I'm hardly surprised the games are very progressive. They're also full of cliches and stereotypes because those are fun and people like them. Thus, the games appeal to mainstream and LGBT audiences.

id like to go back in time and never make that post, can i do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

id like to go back in time and never make that post, can i do that

You can but you'll end up destroying all of space and time.