Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Shath Hole posted:

Gonna play the poo poo outta this beta server!

Don't spoil your dinner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
They're going to have original starting zones for players as well! So that means depending on your race and class, you'll start in one of the following locations;

Albion:

Briton:
- Fighter in Prydwen Keep in Camelot Hills
- Rogue in Cotswold Village
- Mage in Adribard's Retreat
- Elementalist in Cotswold Village
- Acolyte in Prydwen Keep in Camelot Hills

Highlander:
- Fighter in Humberton Village in South Black Mountains
- Rogue in Ludlow Village in South Black Mountains
- Acolyte in Humberton Castle in South Black Mountains

Avolonian:
- Fighter in Adribard's Retreat
- Mage in Lethanis Association in Campocorentin Forest
- Elementalist in Lethanis Association in Campocorentin Forest
- Acolyte in Adribard's Retreat

Saracen:
- Fighter in Campocorentin Station in Campocorentin Forest
- Rogue in Campocorentin Station in Campocorentin Forest
- Mage in Ludlow Village in South Black Mountains

Hibernia:

Celt:
- Guardian in Connla in Shannon Estuary
- Stalker in Howth in Silvermine Mountains
- Naturalist in Connla in Shannon Estuary
- Magician in Howth in Silvermine Mountains

Lurikeen:
- Guardian in Mag Mell
- Stalker in Ardee
- Magician in Connla in Shannon Estuary

Firbolg:
- Guardian in Ardee
- Naturalist in Ardee

Elf:

- Guardian in Howth in Silvermine Mountains
- Stalker in Mag Mell
- Magician in Mag Mell

Midgard:

Norseman:
- Viking in Vasudheim in East Svealand
- Mystic in Vasudheim in East Svealand
- Rogue in Vasudheim in East Svealand

Kobold:
- Viking in Fort Atla in Gotar
- Mystic in Fort Atla in Gotar
- Rogue in Fort Atla in Gotar
- Seer in Haggerfel in Vale of Mularn

Troll:
- Viking in Galplen in Myrkwood Forest
- Seer in Galplen in Myrkwood Forest

Dwarf:

- Viking in Mularn in Vale of Mularn
- Mystic in Mularn in Vale of Mularn
- Rogue in Haggerfel in Vale of Mularn
- Seer in Vasudheim in East Svealand

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

For some sick reason I want to fully AT a paladin instead of playing an armsman.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

What spec would you go? I'd actually be in to help people do this on Albion. You wouldn't really get much RvR in before 48, but by level 50 you'd be one hell of a group mate!

I will likely AT a Reaver, but that doesn't gimp me that much at all. I'll just stick to thrust until level 40 and limp on AT flex for the last 8 levels. I'll still have high shield and soul rending, so that's a bonus.

I do like the idea of an Armsman, but would rather have gone a Half Ogre one, which they won't give.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 6, 2016

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Oh hmm, SI is not included on release, eh? I guess you're right, in that meaning no HO Arms. Welp, that solidifies my decision to go Pally.

Spec wise, fully ATing allows some silly hybrid specs, but mostly it makes 50/48/34/13 possible. Or like... 44/48/42/x

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

No SI at start, but likely to be implemented later on. And I think new races came out with either ToA or in between that and Catacombs.

And yeah, 50/48/34/13 is one of the best specs available. Leaves 0 points left over too. Completely efficient! The other option would be to go 50 2handed, 48 Chant, 34 Slash and 13 Parry if you want to try being a bit more smashy. Still think that Highlander is the best choice for either spec.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Half Ogres were indeed ToA; Alb's SI race is Inconnu and those are implemented.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

So what's the difference between the upcoming Uthgard server and Genesis? I am playing Genesis at the moment, to get myself used to the game again (I have missed Albion a fair bit!), and it's pretty fun! All races and classes are available, you don't miss out on your Autotraining freebies, even if you spec in them as you go along, which is awesome as a Paladin. Is there something I am missing? What is going to make Uthgard better than Genesis?

Edit: Just checked - Only races and classes up until SI are available on Genesis, my bad.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 7, 2016

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

If you want the classic DAoC experience with working mechanics, RAs, pathing, etc., you play Uthgard. If you want an easy mode experience with broken mechanics, RAs still disabled after 2+ years with no fixes in sight, no pathing, then you play Genesis. :)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

kainashi posted:

If you want the classic DAoC experience with working mechanics, RAs, pathing, etc., you play Uthgard. If you want an easy mode experience with broken mechanics, RAs still disabled after 2+ years with no fixes in sight, no pathing, then you play Genesis. :)

Pretty much this. Genesis is a poo poo show of poor coding.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Kazvall posted:

Don't spoil your dinner!

I'm so excited.

DAoC was the first game that introduced me into how miserable people with stuns (or in this case mesmorize) can make tank classes. I remember spending drat near all my time in RvR with z's over my head until I decided to roll a Sorc and maniacally laugh while doing it to others.

Maybe it's nostalgia, but I think I'm going to have a lot of fun on Uthgard :)

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Pretty much this. Genesis is a poo poo show of poor coding.

Yeah I noticed last night there was no damage bonus' vs mobs. Made a Necro and was kind of bummed that there was no difference in between attacking an undead mob vs any other kind. I am definitely looking forward to Uthgard then! Also, I do hope though that Uthgard has the upgraded graphics for the game. Old style graphics are kind of lame...

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

The Dark Project posted:

Yeah I noticed last night there was no damage bonus' vs mobs. Made a Necro and was kind of bummed that there was no difference in between attacking an undead mob vs any other kind. I am definitely looking forward to Uthgard then! Also, I do hope though that Uthgard has the upgraded graphics for the game. Old style graphics are kind of lame...

You can choose which kind to use in the options.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

The Dark Project posted:

I think some stuff will be the old graphics but with most of it you can choose if you want the classic models or new models.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Having trouble deciding what I'd like to play, in Albion, with Old RAs. I feel like I'd be best off starting a raid character. Maybe I'll make a bulletin point list tomorrow. Is anyone else interested in a breakdown of viability for different needs/playstyles, etc?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Kazvall posted:

Having trouble deciding what I'd like to play, in Albion, with Old RAs. I feel like I'd be best off starting a raid character. Maybe I'll make a bulletin point list tomorrow. Is anyone else interested in a breakdown of viability for different needs/playstyles, etc?

For sure.

It's been years so a refresher would help me out at least and I'm sure others. Thank you!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Basically, it seems like you want to make a raid character as your first character. This allows you to get gear/money and a nice foundation to start from. If you start as a stealther, you might be a part of that initial rush of leveling, but I guarantee by the time 40+ rolls around, it's going to be hard to find groups, and then once you DO reach 50, all you can do is PVP with lovely gear. Don't make a stealther first unless you really really don't want a second character.

If we take DF as an example, prince groups will run Cleric/Paladin/Theurg/Reaver and perhaps a Merc or another Reaver. Friars will obviously be wanted for Dragon Raids and such.

Now, keep in mind this is OLD RAs. So, only heavy tanks/light tanks have access to determination. This makes the Merc super wanted in RvR and the Arms also a decent choice because of their Armor Factor RA. Albion is weird in that a lot of elite 8v8 groups won't even take a paladin or minstrel and opt to use endurance pots, etc. This is patch level 1.65, however, and endurance pots only last for 2 minutes.

So, if you want to have a good start, it might be important to have a Cleric/Paladin/Theurg/Reaver/Merc to start, with special mention going to Sorcs and Friars for their group utility. All of those classes are needed in RvR as well, besides maybe friar which is more solo/smallman.

Paladin - PvE god, not bad for RvR but later on when everyone is rr5+ is when mercs/armsmen really outshine the Pally

Merc - Best DPS in albion, access to shield and thrust spec for more interesting builds

Reaver - Huge SPIKE DPS, wanted in all PvE groups because of Levi. You better spec 50 flex, motherfuck. You have no access to DET, though, so we'll see how that pans out for RvR.

Arms - Second in line to a Merc in terms of RvR viability. Better defense, and perhaps better SPIKE DPS than a Merc. But consider PBT and attack speed decrease shuts them down.

Friar - Great smallman/solo char. Doesn't cost much to template and has self buffs on a server where buffbots aren't allowed

Cleric - It's a cleric, you know what they do

Minstrel - Only toon with SOS on OLD RAs, tremendously high skill ceiling and perhaps the best solo in game when played perfectly. But keep in mind other stealthers will eat you for lunch, and your melee sucks big assholes. Great for RvR/smallman, you will not be wanted for PvE unless you get a real nice pet.

Scout - Might be a bit rough considering old see hidden, but camouflage is still pretty powerful and old archery is fun

Inf - 9 second stun in thrust line and huge spec points. In the running for best assassin, though the NS gets PD and Viper, while inf gets Vanish.

Sorc - Needed in every group, pretty much. Great utility, gets a pet, and is a lot of fun.

Cabby - AWESOME solo farm char because of AE DOT and pet damage shield. Wanted in RvR as body/spirit spec. Tons of utility and pairs with a Sorc VERY WELL

Wizard - NO UTILITY HUGE DAMAGE, PLAY THIS CLASS IF YOU HATE YOURSELF AND OTHERS

Theurg - PBT and Pets, needed in both PvE and RvR. AFK leveling at it's finest.

Necromancer - Wondrous PvE machine, might be a bit rougher without access to a buffbot

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 17, 2016

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Couple of nitpicky things:

Minstrel will absolutely be wanted in RVR 8 man groups, they're arguably the best interrupter in the game and have SOS. I don't think you'll see any Reavers in 8 man groups, due to lack of Determination.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Fartbong Bonersatan posted:

Couple of nitpicky things:

Minstrel will absolutely be wanted in RVR 8 man groups, they're arguably the best interrupter in the game and have SOS. I don't think you'll see any Reavers in 8 man groups, due to lack of Determination.

Now that they are the only ones with SOS, they will be MORE wanted. Regardless, how it used to be on Uthgard is that the elite 8v8 groups would NOT TAKE A MINSTREL. So, I'm just giving a warning, more than a personal belief. I completely agree that they are awesome.

Just like we will see a lot of Paladins in RvR at first, but once the Mercs/Arms have high level DET it might be a different story.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I think old SOS allows you immunity to CC while it's active, but once SOS wears off you'll be under the effect of that mez they hit you with.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Why would minstrels be wanted in 8v8? All the cool kids used to run 7 players + a minstrel bot at APK, and pop SOS on inc. :c00lbutt:

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Kazvall posted:

I think old SOS allows you immunity to CC while it's active, but once SOS wears off you'll be under the effect of that mez they hit you with.

Sos gives immunity to the movement blocking part of CC, but you still can't cast/attack when mezzed or stunned.

Mux posted:

Why would minstrels be wanted in 8v8? All the cool kids used to run 7 players + a minstrel bot at APK, and pop SOS on inc. :c00lbutt:

They're very good interrupters.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Thanks for this! The most fun I had was Merc and Sorc so I will probably start there :)

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I forgot to mention that Arms/Merc only have to spend 4 on purge, and 8 on IP.

I'm going to start as either Friar, then go Inf. Or perhaps Merc then go Minstrel. I think doing Friar, focusing on tailoring/trinketting, and easily gearing up an inf for PvP would be the easiest route. Once I have a bunch of respec stones, I'll do my autotrain characters.

Remember, you only have to not be specced into the autotrain line, at the moment you ding. So you can get, say, level 39.9 then go back to town to reset your points. Hit a couple mobs to ding, and get your AT points, then you spec again.

I am NOT doing another AT character without this method.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 18, 2016

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

In other news, the creators of that Lethantis server are possibly retarded and actually think they will be able to compete with Uthgard. Not to mention their PVP server has been sitting at 0 pop for a month now. I keep posting for them to make it i50 so people actually play it. But they seem to want to pour hours of work into some servers no one plays.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Got banned from Letanthis for saying "laggy today". They took it as a personal insult.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbl_jS1ayeA

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Is he a goon?

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I've been feeling the itch to play DAoC again, I miss playing my cleric.

Dunno if I would roll a cleric until live though.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
edit: nm this isn't live.

Twlight fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 26, 2016

Makemind
Apr 27, 2016
Does the old accounts still work?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Makemind posted:

Does the old accounts still work?

for live? or uthgard(no)?

Makemind
Apr 27, 2016

Kazvall posted:

for live? or uthgard(no)?

Ywain accounts, have a ton of alb/mid geared 50 there

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Makemind posted:

Ywain accounts, have a ton of alb/mid geared 50 there

They should still be there.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Are many people here planning to check out the Uthgard beta? Is there much hope for Uthgard to live, at least for a little while?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I predict a very strong launch of about 1k+ at prime time, which will go down to about 500-800 prime. At least until CU comes out. Which won't be until 2017 q3 or 4. Possibly later.

Uthgard 1.0 was up for 8 years? As far as beta I have no idea how many will play, but don't get burnt out.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Well that will have to do. I loved the poo poo outta all my old chars, even that nerfed gimped up savage..

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'm still having trouble deciding what to play. Theurg seems the easiest in terms of almost afk leveling in groups.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Kazvall posted:

I'm still having trouble deciding what to play. Theurg seems the easiest in terms of almost afk leveling in groups.

I remember literal afk leveling with minstrel doing the mana-regen song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I want to get set up so I can try this poo poo once it drops. Is this setup guide still accurate? Is there gonna be some kind of Uthgard patch download when it launches?

I'm just waiting with a currently patched copy of DAoC and the DAoC Portal installed. Are a lot of people picking Albion?

• Locked thread