Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

AnonSpore posted:

Is sous vide scrambled eggs actually a thing? How do you scramble eggs when they're not really moving?

You shake the bag halfway through. They come out quite custardy like the French make scrambled eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Moey posted:

I need to try to make bagels at some point.

You should, they're not difficult although they take a little planning and taste way better than any supermarket or store bagels (unless you live near a proper Jewish bakery of course).

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Hah I lifehacked chicken you guys:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You didn't even ruin your own hob for that, shameful.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just a chicken caesar salad. Chicken cooked sous vide at 143 then grillmarked, homemade caesar dressing, finished with parm reggiano.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Sweet potato "nachos" with black beans, corn, sharp cheddar and salsa verde topped with a fried egg and guac.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

fyodor posted:

Hah I lifehacked chicken you guys:

Hey! Me too!

I set out to make chicken and waffles at the lady's request, but our waffle maker is a piece of poo poo and died so I subbed it out for grilled cornbread! Lifehack: its better than loving waffles.

Puddled the chicken at 148* for a few hours in a bag of vinegar, soy sauce, chilies, and garlic, then chilled it, soaked it in buttermilk until dinnertime, and dredged it in a mix of seasoned flour and some ching yeh pork sung "pork floss". I made a sauce with sorghum, lemon juice, fish sauce and serranos to dip the fried chicken in, drizzled honey on the cornbread and some sriracha over the whole drat thing. Garnished with yard onions. It was pretty good.

Merkin Muffley fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 20, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Merkin Muffley posted:

Hey! Me too!

I set out to make chicken and waffles at the lady's request, but our waffle maker is a piece of poo poo and died so I subbed it out for grilled cornbread! Lifehack: its better than loving waffles.

Puddled the chicken at 148* for a few hours in a bag of vinegar, soy sauce, chilies, and garlic, then chilled it, soaked it in buttermilk until dinnertime, and dredged it in a mix of seasoned flour and some ching yeh pork sung "pork floss". I made a sauce with sorghum, lemon juice, fish sauce and serranos to dip the fried chicken in, drizzled honey on the cornbread and some sriracha over the whole drat thing. Garnished with yard onions. It was pretty good.

Teach me the song of your people holy moly. That sounds amazing.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
that whole thing looks dope, but especially that corn bread.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Merkin Muffley posted:

Hey! Me too!

Are you loving kidding me gently caress you!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAURRRGH

GIMME

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Merkin Muffley posted:

Hey! Me too!

Hello, you are receiving a message from "Get In." Contents of the message, "my belly."

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

quote:

Garnished with yard onions.

Holy poo poo. I keep thinking about doing that with all the crazy onions the previous owners let go crazy in our yard. Thank you. It looks amazeballs.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Today was some Couscous with chickpeas, cilantro and mint, and some pan roasted chicken breast with cumin, garlic and Turkish roasted chili flakes.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Trying to work on my Asian inspired soups more, but, I'm having a tough time getting super flavorful broth. Being vegetarian seem to doesn't help much since so many of the recipes I see rely on seafood or pork bases. I think next time I'll try red miso instead of yellow, and actually try making a kombu stock first.

Miso soy broth with soba noodles, kale, baby spinach, soft boiled egg and raw carrots.

emotive fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 21, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

emotive posted:

Trying to work on my Asian inspired soups more, but, I'm having a tough time getting super flavorful broth. Being vegetarian seem to doesn't help much since so many of the recipes I see rely on seafood or pork bases. I think next time I'll try red miso instead of yellow, and actually try making a kombu stock first.

Miso soy broth with soba noodles, kale, baby spinach, soft boiled egg and raw carrots.

Maybe try a little marmite?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I just binged 20 pages of this thread...there is some seriously amazing poo poo in here. Like ambrosia, shakshouka, tabbouleh and steak. And plating, JFC.

Some lasagna in the traditional style. First came the ragu. Sweated onion, garlic, celery and carrots with a bouquet garni, then added meat, sealed to the pan so it would brown and not steam.

Nice and dry and it's ready for a bottle of wine, the roman legionary ration. 750ml

Cook it off, add the tomato paste and passata di pomodoro.

This is handmade passata, pressed from tomatoes from my garden last summer. Beautiful tomatoes so ripe and italian, mwah

Let this poo poo stew for a couple hours and make the lasagna!

This is a picture of me making the pasta. I am very traditional.

I only use Flintstone style mixer! I am a bambino at heart.

Blanch my babies and get the bechamel working.

Time to layer the goodness...ragu, besciamella, ricotta/moozadel, pasta, ragu, besciamella, ricotta/moozadel, repeat another 8 times or so...

Top with shredded parmesan, bake, and grub down.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
That's some beautiful lasagna. Inspiring. Well done.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Some lasagna in the traditional style.

This looks amazing.

I like your style, take a relatively simple dish and build it from the ground up. There's no better way to get -really good- at cooking than to understand how to make your dishes from the scratchiest scratch possible.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Had some friends over, made some food:

Miso glazed eggplant and tofu.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

angor posted:

That's fuckin' beautiful. Vegan I would imagine?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The Midniter posted:

That's fuckin' beautiful. Vegan I would imagine?

Thanks! And yeah, I suppose it is. Bonus!

From what I've read, this isn't traditional miso glazed eggplant. I've only got dark miso (don't remember the name) on hand so I used that, sugar, and a bit of water to make the glaze. Eggplants get cut in half, oiled, and put face down on this lovely non-stick grill pan thing I was given. After a few minutes, they get turned over, add water or stock, cover and turn the heat down. In about 20 minutes they're perfect. Then just spoon the glaze over and throw them under a broiler for a minute or so. Super easy, and WAY tastier than the amount of effort put in.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

angor posted:

Looks great. What is that technique for slicing the scallions? I've attempted to do really angled cuts and it never turns out that well.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

High five green apple Kitchen Aid buddy!!! Looks so good. I keep thinking it's lasagna time. I should make it so.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

VelociBacon posted:

Looks great. What is that technique for slicing the scallions? I've attempted to do really angled cuts and it never turns out that well.

Split them in half, then slice lengthwise.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh I loving hate you now. I've only tried making lasagna like twice in my life and it's never even been close to that beautiful. :swoon:

First thing I'm getting to when I get access to an oven again.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 21, 2016

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

drat cuz. Nice work.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Eggplant.....dunno why I didn't like it for the first part of my life, but now I do!

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude

paraquat posted:

Eggplant.....dunno why I didn't like it for the first part of my life, but now I do!

i like that you define segments of your life by whether you ate eggplant. Part 1: no eggplant. Part 2: eggplant. Part 3: ?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Thai green curry with straw mushrooms, bamboo shoots, green beans, chicken thighs, jalapenos, red chili, and thai basil.

Random chili slice in the corner because the entire kitchen is a mess after preparing this.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Tackled a crawdad/crawfish boil last night. Still not sure what to make of it. Since we're hicks from the southwest crawdads aren't our typical fare (though I guess our state is lousy with them). The biggest challenge was figuring out how to eat the drat things. I eventually learned my own method:
1). Break the back
2). Twist the tail
3). Suck the meat
4). Open it sidewise like a treasure chest
5). Shovel out the carcass

Still though, I don't think it's for me. It's one of those meals that always looks more appetizing to me than it is. It tasted good and we all ate a lot but there was a lot more left sitting around and we're not too keen on the leftovers. Eating it is more a chore than a luxury at this point. Plus throwing away all that boil liquid felt like such a waste. Still, had a fun time. It was good food and a great experiment.

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 22, 2016

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

MrSlam posted:

Tackled a crawdad/crawfish boil last night. Still not sure what to make of it. Since we're hicks from the southwest crawdads aren't our typical fare (though I guess our state is lousy with them). The biggest challenge was figuring out how to eat the drat things. I eventually learned my own method:
1). Break the back
2). Twist the tail
3). Suck the meat

Still though, I don't think it's for me. It's one of those meals that always looks more appetizing to me than it is. It tasted good and we all ate a lot but there was a lot more left sitting around and we're not too keen on the leftovers. Eating it is more a chore than a luxury at this point. Plus throwing away all that boil liquid felt like such a waste. Still, had a fun time. It was good food and a great experiment.

beer, butter, and barbecue sauces are what make crawfish boils amazing.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MrSlam posted:

1). Break the back
2). Twist the tail
3). Suck the meat

How much did you cook? That plate sure looks empty, haha. You need to dump that stuff on a table outside and go to town.

You're basically there on how to eat them. Pull the tail off, squeeze the head and suck out the juice (only works if you let them soak long enough). Peel off the first couple of tail segments, pull out the meat with your teeth or hands. Move to the next one. The whole process should take about three seconds.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

How much did you cook? That plate sure looks empty, haha. You need to dump that stuff on a table outside and go to town.

You're basically there on how to eat them. Pull the tail off, squeeze the head and suck out the juice (only works if you let them soak long enough). Peel off the first couple of tail segments, pull out the meat with your teeth or hands. Move to the next one. The whole process should take about three seconds.
We cooked about 5lbs. Yeah I ditched the plate almost immediately. After taking the pictures it just looked silly. We ate straight out of the bowl most of the night and we ended up using the plates to hold all the discarded shells. I wish I bought more corn! That was the best part of the meal.

FaradayCage posted:

beer, butter, and barbecue sauces are what make crawfish boils amazing.
I knew I forgot something! Butter would've improved this immensely. Not sure about the barbecue sauce though. Next time I make this (if I ever make it again) it'll be for an outdoor get-together instead of an indoor TV-tray night

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

Homemade sourdough pita bread with homemade falafel (the recipe is in my handwritten cook book, I got it from a SA thread maybe 8 or so years ago! Thanks mystery goon of old!) and homemade tzatziki, with sliced tomato and red onions. I was pretty pleased with myself!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

gently caress that looks tasty

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Nice lookin' pita, mang.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

artificial posted:

Homemade sourdough pita bread with homemade falafel (the recipe is in my handwritten cook book, I got it from a SA thread maybe 8 or so years ago! Thanks mystery goon of old!) and homemade tzatziki, with sliced tomato and red onions. I was pretty pleased with myself!

Hot drat. Good golden falaf! I think my first SA post was a falafel recipe, but many years ago.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

Thanks guys :aaaaa: it tasted pretty amazing. My partner loved it too! The recipe was in a "let's cook" thread (was that a thing? I feel like I imagined that but that was a good thread series!)

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh man, please share the falafel recipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Burged and beered. Local grocer's fresh-rear end, glutenous, buttery kaiser roll stole the show.

BTW I wish that was pubes all over the plate, but it's only crazing

• Locked thread