Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man. Kraven came up with the most amazing plan in the history of plans to capture Kobik in Captain America today. I'm not sure anything else will top this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not crazy, by the way, right? The end of this week's New Avengers was a deliberate shout-out to Jay & Miles (of Xplaining the X-Men fame), right?

They're certainly the people who are leaning on the joke right now, and it wouldn't surprise me if Ewing had it on his mind after guesting on their show a couple of times, but Sam did spend the '80s saying exactly that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not crazy, by the way, right? The end of this week's New Avengers was a deliberate shout-out to Jay & Miles (of Xplaining the X-Men fame), right?

No, that's been a long-running joke for years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kraven's been getting a lot of play lately. If I didn't know better, I'd think there was a new Spider-Man movie coming out shortly.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

This is the thread to talk about Captain Marvel, right? Because I fuckin' love Captain Marvel. The colors this week seemed even more top notch than usual. The space battles look so good!

This arc's been so fun and satisfying on a ton of levels. Just sci-fi thriller horror stuff with Alpha Flight and Brand and Carol Danvers. It owns and it's done such a better job of grabbing me than KSD's stuff. I know a lot of people on the internet enjoyed KSD's run, but to me this is just. :perfect:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I tend to forget to commend Captain Marvel here because the overall story's been kinda routine, but it's been really consistently enjoyable in spite of that. They've got Abigail Brand's character down pat and her interaction with Carol has been great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

This is the thread to talk about Captain Marvel, right? Because I fuckin' love Captain Marvel. The colors this week seemed even more top notch than usual. The space battles look so good!

This arc's been so fun and satisfying on a ton of levels. Just sci-fi thriller horror stuff with Alpha Flight and Brand and Carol Danvers. It owns and it's done such a better job of grabbing me than KSD's stuff. I know a lot of people on the internet enjoyed KSD's run, but to me this is just. :perfect:

Those are crazy people. She was so boring.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It just sucks that she's getting Bendis'd in Civil War 2: Electro Boogaloo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I felt KSD wrote Carol excellently, it's just she didn't do that good of a Captain Marvel. If it had been a smaller book about Carol going about her life outside of punching things for the Avengers it would have been fantastic, but we got what was fairly boring adventure stories. Though I will hold up the arc where she teams up with Rocket as actually being quite excellent. But yes, this run has been fantastic and I love seeing Carol and Brand interact. Also makes me want to see more Puck.

The fact they kept the footnote commentaries going in Howard the Duck was fantastic, though I'm so used to the way Henderson draws Doreen, when I see her in another comic I get weirded out. Though what comic had her at a convention dressed as Howard?

The fact Howard literally put on the Justice League was fantastic, and based on sales, "My less interesting, less powerful suit" would describe it perfectly. Beast constantly going on about how he's an original X-men was pretty drat good too, along with Weapon II.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My favorite part was when she wiped her memory but between issues she was caught up on everything she needed to know and it didn't matter.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This sorry son of bitch from r/marvel is trying to put together a reading order of every Marvel comic since 1998.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18NMoX6ZoiKDtOrOxxIRw1C2VRE5Io9aZWu2RZUW6cWs/edit#gid=1525803154

:patriot:

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

zoux posted:

This sorry son of bitch from r/marvel is trying to put together a reading order of every Marvel comic since 1998.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18NMoX6ZoiKDtOrOxxIRw1C2VRE5Io9aZWu2RZUW6cWs/edit#gid=1525803154

Why 1998?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

zoux posted:

He is doing the Kirby's work. God speed you crazy autist.

Edit: Zoux's link lead to the unofficial Marvel Universe reading order guide.
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Universe_Reading_Order

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 21, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Modern" Marvel. I guess its post or circa Avengers Disassembled, which most people use as the mark of the "new" or "decompression" or "widescreen" or "loving Bendis" Era.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

zoux posted:

"Modern" Marvel. I guess its post or circa Avengers Disassembled, which most people use as the mark of the "new" or "decompression" or "widescreen" or "loving Bendis" Era.

That was 2004-2005, so that can't be it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PantsOptional posted:

That was 2004-2005, so that can't be it.

Hmm, well here's the post itself. Looks like he just wanted to start post-90's and picked that year as a good starting point.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
A lot of books relaunched in '98. I want to say it was Heroes Reborn aftermath.

Edit: I'm super wrong it looks like.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 21, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Onslaught

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Marvel Knights began in 1998. The rise of the era of Joe Q and "Modern Marvel."

site posted:

Onslaught

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

The fact they kept the footnote commentaries going in Howard the Duck was fantastic, though I'm so used to the way Henderson draws Doreen, when I see her in another comic I get weirded out. Though what comic had her at a convention dressed as Howard?

Doreen in New Avengers, when she's around, is ALSO super confusing. Henderson's take on her is just so charming and distintctive. She's funny-lookin' and I feel like other artists make her look a bit more standard pretty in some books. Haven't actually read Howard so I dunno how she looked there. And I know she used to look different in comics pre-solo series, obviously. The solo run just seems really iconic.

quote:

I felt KSD wrote Carol excellently, it's just she didn't do that good of a Captain Marvel. If it had been a smaller book about Carol going about her life outside of punching things for the Avengers it would have been fantastic, but we got what was fairly boring adventure stories. Though I will hold up the arc where she teams up with Rocket as actually being quite excellent. But yes, this run has been fantastic and I love seeing Carol and Brand interact. Also makes me want to see more Puck.

Yeah, the adventures in KSD's run for the most part weren't at all compelling. Carol herself was fine, I guess. But this run has her feeling a lot more like Captain Marvel than Carol, sort of along the lines of what you said. This book's featuring her more as Captain, which I love. It feels a lot more fitting of a character who's being pushed as the primary big-hitter female hero of the 616, I think, and lines up better with what I was hoping for with her.

And hell yes, Puck rules.

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 21, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Marvel Knights began in 1998. The rise of the era of Joe Q and "Modern Marvel."

Dang :argh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The way Ditko originally drew her was pretty strange looking as well, but every female in comics ends up looking like a sexy model over time. Most artists just never learn to draw any other kind of woman.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The way Ditko originally drew her was pretty strange looking as well, but every female in comics ends up looking like a sexy model over time. Most artists just never learn to draw any other kind of woman.

There's a little 'Guest Star' pic on the cover of the next issue of Wolverine featuring SG, and it kinda points out the problem. If you draw her in a more naturalistic style, but keep the features as BIG as Henderson's cartooning, she looks really out of place, almost like a mean-spirited caricature mocking her. Henderson's version works because EVERYONE looks like that when she draws them. Hell, Betty and Veronica look kinda like that in Jughead.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gaz-L posted:

There's a little 'Guest Star' pic on the cover of the next issue of Wolverine featuring SG, and it kinda points out the problem. If you draw her in a more naturalistic style, but keep the features as BIG as Henderson's cartooning, she looks really out of place, almost like a mean-spirited caricature mocking her. Henderson's version works because EVERYONE looks like that when she draws them. Hell, Betty and Veronica look kinda like that in Jughead.

That's because despite fitting the squirrel girl book and not being bad on it, the style is actually kinda bad, and makes everyone look lumpy and weird, no matter if it's intentional or not. I'm all for not dressing everyone as a supermodel, but it stops being about that and starts being about 'can't draw anyone that looks semi-normal' when every character that appears is said not-supermodel lumpy face.

I wish there could somehow be a balance between 'everyone looks like models' and 'everyone looks mildly deformed'. But if capable of it, the squirrel girl book did not make attempts to steer away from the latter.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I've found a lot of good reading orders (and a lot of good reading guidance in general) at comicbookherald.com. The guy goes back quite a ways and has rankings/recommendations for tons and tons of Marvel.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Do you think Marvel will hire Shelley Bond and restart Marvel Knights under her? :unsmigghh:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

A Tin Of Beans posted:

And hell yes, Puck rules.

2016 is certainly a strange year.

The only really odd thing about Doreen is her front teeth, which in New Avengers were drawn massively. Howard has her drawn like a normal cute girl with the teeth slightly larger, and a tail.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like the art in squirrel girl. Suits the ridiculousness of the book real well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think the books been around long enough people have gotten used to the art style, like Bobs Burgers.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

The only really odd thing about Doreen is her front teeth, which in New Avengers were drawn massively.
Maybe Mike Krahulik should have a go at drawing her.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Do you think Marvel will hire Shelley Bond and restart Marvel Knights under her? :unsmigghh:

Did the handful of MK miniseries a few years ago do anything?
After All-New Ultimate flopped and Secret Wars was about consolidating, they might not be too interested in imprints.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm sad about the Hawkeyes going away. It was one of the prettiest books on the stands and I enjoyed Lemire's take on the Clint/Kate relationship.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

X-O posted:

I'm sad about the Hawkeyes going away. It was one of the prettiest books on the stands and I enjoyed Lemire's take on the Clint/Kate relationship.

I was really glad they reconciled at the end there. I really was not enjoying them not being mentor and student, with roles flipping.

Though I still could have cared less about the kid backstories though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

The rumor I read is that a new Hawkeye book will launch late summer but will only star one of them, I'd put money on it being Kate.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

So Civil War II's just around the corner, with the July solicits saying there's gonna be 29 issues around in that month. With that many en route, what's the suggested reading order in the leadup to CWII? I always have a soft spot for it (since CWI was the first event series I've ever read and I'm out of my mind excited for the movie), so I'd like to know what I should be reading for the most optimal route.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At my shop we've had next to no interest in CW2. I have exactly one preorder for the main book.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

So Civil War II's just around the corner, with the July solicits saying there's gonna be 29 issues around in that month. With that many en route, what's the suggested reading order in the leadup to CWII? I always have a soft spot for it (since CWI was the first event series I've ever read and I'm out of my mind excited for the movie), so I'd like to know what I should be reading for the most optimal route.

My guess is you'd want to be caught up on the Avengers, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, and Captain America books by that point. There will be a checklist I'm sure when the event starts if you want to keep up with everything for some insane reason. I don't know if Standoff will be tied to it in any way, but that's going on right now and it's actually been a lot of fun for a low key event.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I expect it to start pretty fresh, unless you need to know who and why people are on Avengers teams.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I expect it to start pretty fresh, unless you need to know who and why people are on Avengers teams.

The CW2 FCBD issue sets things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have no idea what the hell is going on here, but god bless Al Ewing.

• Locked thread