Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

Awesome! posted:

tfw you have the wizard mode lit and lose your last ball with it sitting there

Ah, yes. I believe the pinball term for that is the Alt-F4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

TheMcD posted:

Well gently caress me sideways, here I was thinking all the legal trouble that project was in just completely sunk the ship.

Yeah, same here. The game's looking pretty sweet, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DicaonyLm8

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ghostbusters is really hard but it also feels like the first real pinball machine produced since the 90s. That flipper gap can go gently caress itself.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Local arcade got Goldeneye recently, and its awesome!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Local arcade got Goldeneye recently, and its awesome!

Please tell me there's a mode that reflects the final fight in Cuba and the last target triggers a "For England, James?" "No, for me." DMD sequence. That might just make my life complete.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

McSpanky posted:

Please tell me there's a mode that reflects the final fight in Cuba and the last target triggers a "For England, James?" "No, for me." DMD sequence. That might just make my life complete.

I haven't played it during the quiet hours, so I haven't heard any of the actual game. There is a barrel sequence when you launch your ball which I like (different things happen based on when you "shoot").

The play area is a little lacklustre, but that might just be me. Right ramp is tough for me to get into, but on the plus side you can "catch" your ball and launch it again for a bonus.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 24, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ghostbusters is really hard but it also feels like the first real pinball machine produced since the 90s. That flipper gap can go gently caress itself.

I played it bunch but the only advice I can give is to cross your arms during the frenzy part of multiball. The flippers get reversed and you can get like 6 balls going at once, and it's easier to flip hands than do some mental gymnastics.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can certainly feel the flipper gap when I can't pull off a decent slap save, but I don't think the game is as brutal as everyone is saying. The drains don't feel cheap. My games are a few minutes long, but I haven't put up any huge scores yet. Best I've had is 340 mil, or around there. It seems the trick is to build up your super jackpots, then get to a mode that lets you collect unlimited supers ( - not sure how to do this, but I ended up in a mode where it was giving me progressively higher super jackpots by hitting the left ramp - it was at 60 mil a shot before I messed it up)

I like it, even though that left orbit and right ramp are super tight and hard to hit. I've had better luck backhanding the left orbit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It might've been due to the table's lean to the right (c'mon, not level out of the box?) but I got a lot of SDTM drains from the entire middle Slimer/ghost/bumper exit area. Maybe on a leveled table that's not an issue but it was pretty frustrating having every ball come sailing clean between the flippers. I also had like, five balls hop right over the outlane rails which was REALLY annoying (tho the ones in multiball were kinda funny).

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tampa Replay Amusement Museum is getting a Ghostbusters and is having a launch party next Sunday. It's about a 2 hour drive for me but I've been wanting to go forever so this sounds like it's the perfect time to drag the wife over there. She loves playing pinball on my virtual cab and we've stopped by the Pinball Lounge in Oviedo a few times and she enjoyed really pinball, they have about 12 or so tables there and Replay has about 50 so it'll be nice to have a little more variety.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

mattfl posted:

Tampa Replay Amusement Museum is getting a Ghostbusters and is having a launch party next Sunday. It's about a 2 hour drive for me but I've been wanting to go forever so this sounds like it's the perfect time to drag the wife over there. She loves playing pinball on my virtual cab and we've stopped by the Pinball Lounge in Oviedo a few times and she enjoyed really pinball, they have about 12 or so tables there and Replay has about 50 so it'll be nice to have a little more variety.

My in-laws live about 20 minutes from there, it's always an incentive to make the drive down from Atlanta. Stoked they're getting a Ghostbusters. It's a really great place and is in a pretty neat little town.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

apophenium posted:

My in-laws live about 20 minutes from there, it's always an incentive to make the drive down from Atlanta. Stoked they're getting a Ghostbusters. It's a really great place and is in a pretty neat little town.

Good to hear incase the wife wants to take a break from the pins for a while and walk around the town.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It might've been due to the table's lean to the right (c'mon, not level out of the box?) but I got a lot of SDTM drains from the entire middle Slimer/ghost/bumper exit area. Maybe on a leveled table that's not an issue but it was pretty frustrating having every ball come sailing clean between the flippers. I also had like, five balls hop right over the outlane rails which was REALLY annoying (tho the ones in multiball were kinda funny).

The table I played was leaning to the LEFT and I had all the same problems. The outlane gates are really short, too.

roffels posted:

The drains don't feel cheap.

Calling bullshit on this one. I played Ghostbusters for an hour and hated it, then played Game of Thrones for like another 4 hours. There were so few times I drained on GoT where i could say "that was not my fault" which was the complete opposite for GB. I'll give it a couple more chances because I want to like the table, but so far it is Not Fun.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

mattfl posted:

Good to hear incase the wife wants to take a break from the pins for a while and walk around the town.

Tarpon Springs has some of the best Greek food you'll ever find (it's got the highest Greeks-per-capita in the country), so definitely make a point of eating there. The people at Replay can recommend some good places.

Replay's also outstanding. You can tell the people there really love what they're doing and care about pinball.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I've had a hell of a time getting anything out of Ghostbusters, but I just need to learn the shots. For some reason, I'm able to hit the right ramp on the fly, but the easier left ramp is very difficult for me. I've seen some people play some monster games on it, so I figure it'll just take a little while to get used to.

Dwight Sullivan as an addition to the code team has been great, with near feature complete code on release for both GOT and Ghostbusters that feels distinct and fun, as opposed to the kind of lazy code that Kiss/Wrestlemania has. Though, there's a new Kiss update out now, so I should check that out sometime.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

really who the gently caress sets up a pinball table and doesn't check the level?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Allen Wren posted:

really who the gently caress sets up a pinball table and doesn't check the level?

Literally everyone in my hometown

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's really annoying, too, because it's like, the easiest adjustment you can make to a machine. You could probably do it yourself if you really wanted to. I've even heard of people bringing packs of cards to arcades and sticking them under the legs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ReverendHammer posted:

Last Action Meh. I don't even think blasting the movie soundtrack could make this game better.

It's one of my favorite Data East games. For some reason it doesn't translate well on Pinball Arcade. In person the crane is much cooler. I still think if you're in the market for a game in the $2k range it's a great buy.

Got my first chance to play Ghostbusters over the weekend. I love everything about the table but it's really hard. It wasn't drains in the middle that got me, the outlanes hammered me. Feel like it would be a little more fun if the outlanes weren't as unforgiving. Probably a couple ways to mod that if you want.

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 25, 2016

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's really annoying, too, because it's like, the easiest adjustment you can make to a machine. You could probably do it yourself if you really wanted to. I've even heard of people bringing packs of cards to arcades and sticking them under the legs.

Just bring a wrench and adjust it yourself.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

sethsez posted:

Tarpon Springs has some of the best Greek food you'll ever find (it's got the highest Greeks-per-capita in the country), so definitely make a point of eating there. The people at Replay can recommend some good places.

Replay's also outstanding. You can tell the people there really love what they're doing and care about pinball.

My wife loves loves loves Greek food so she's super excited about this!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mattfl posted:

Yesss, I live an hour away. I'm excited.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
This is a bit late but as a reminder to the guys who aren't sure about the magnetic slings on ghostbusters, getting a ball into the slingshots at all is a potential death sentence on a vast majority of the machines out there. Just because it happens to be via magnets instead of the normal kickers just changes the way in which that happens, not the certainty of total doom.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Aren't the magnetic slings only on the Premium and LE versions?

But yeah, slingshots can be the nastiest things when it comes to outlane drains.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Nurge posted:

This is a bit late but as a reminder to the guys who aren't sure about the magnetic slings on ghostbusters, getting a ball into the slingshots at all is a potential death sentence on a vast majority of the machines out there. Just because it happens to be via magnets instead of the normal kickers just changes the way in which that happens, not the certainty of total doom.
Aren't most people's concern not the actual playability when they are working as intended, but whether they will be robust and reliable over time? There are a lot of complaints from people with tables that heavily feature magnets about them ruining the playfield or permanently magnetizing the balls way too fast or just never working properly. From what I hear, magnets are a huge pain to deal with for pinball maintenance and durability.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Lone Goat posted:

Just bring a wrench and adjust it yourself.

Just out of curiosity... has anyone ever done this? The main reason why I hardly bother with the tables at Pinballz anymore is because pretty much every table I play there has really bad lean. I'll forgive other small mechanical issues if things are level, but if I end up with both then I don't want to give them money. Part of me doesn't want to be the sperglord who shows up with a wrench and a laser level but everyone else who goes there would probably thank me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

ReverendHammer posted:

Just out of curiosity... has anyone ever done this? The main reason why I hardly bother with the tables at Pinballz anymore is because pretty much every table I play there has really bad lean. I'll forgive other small mechanical issues if things are level, but if I end up with both then I don't want to give them money. Part of me doesn't want to be the sperglord who shows up with a wrench and a laser level but everyone else who goes there would probably thank me.

What's the worst they'll do, kick you out? You just said you don't want to play on unlevel tables.

Like, I guess you could talk to them about what a shitshow their tables are.

For reference, me and my friends have hosed around with the feet on a table but it was by hand (no wrench) and we're on good terms with the guy who runs the place so I can't imagine he'd care that much.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

As a guy who operates pins on location, I would choke you out if you touched the legs on my table. That said I level mine with a super level from work designed for leveling CNC grinders and CMMs.

Either way if they see you tinkering with the machine rake they are going to assume you are cheating and trying to take advantage of the machine.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Pinballz would probably kick you out.
They also burn through operators, so it's just this ever-decaying state.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hopefully one would have the presence of mind to discuss it with the owner/operator first and not just walk into a place and start jacking around in their machines.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

People adjusting legs drive the ops nuts around here.

Though the operators here would just listen to you and check it out.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Anyone going to the Flippers Spring Break Tournament this Saturday?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

tonedef131 posted:

As a guy who operates pins on location, I would choke you out if you touched the legs on my table. That said I level mine with a super level from work designed for leveling CNC grinders and CMMs.

Either way if they see you tinkering with the machine rake they are going to assume you are cheating and trying to take advantage of the machine.

Given that most of the people who work there especially on weekend nights are college students that I rarely ever see there again I'm not even sure they'd know what I was doing.

DevCore posted:

Pinballz would probably kick you out.
They also burn through operators, so it's just this ever-decaying state.

I had joked with a friend about being a bit more surreptitious about doing it. Bring one of those pen sized levels and a pack of shims. Wouldn't be quite as obvious until I hit up a good chunk of the tables.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The local pinball podcast mentioned that they found someone had, at some point, jammed a bunch of their own zines under the front legs of a machine to make it easier to play.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Which is funny because just because a game leans less it's not necessarily easier to play.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Inferior Third Season posted:

Aren't most people's concern not the actual playability when they are working as intended, but whether they will be robust and reliable over time? There are a lot of complaints from people with tables that heavily feature magnets about them ruining the playfield or permanently magnetizing the balls way too fast or just never working properly. From what I hear, magnets are a huge pain to deal with for pinball maintenance and durability.

I don't know about the other concerns but playfield wear is different with these magnets. Playfield wear is generally from the magnet being under the playfield causing the ball to slide instead of roll. This won't be as bad unless maybe it causes the balls to launch in the air.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

I finished building my mini cab. Not super fancy or anything compared to others, but it works well and was cheap and is my own design.

A question for fellow virtual cabinet owners that utilize accelerometers for nudge: how do you get the calibration right? With a controller, you can usually do a small nudge that doesn't set off the tilt warning, a bigger nudge that does set off the tilt warning, or a huge bump that slam tilts it (actually, I can't recall if you can slam tilt with a controller in most programs, or if it will only do the nudge that sets off the tilt warning). With the accelerometers, depending on how I calibrated it, it either doesn't work at all, or always sets off the tilt warning (meaning I can only do two nudges per ball, and then tilt). What can I do to get that sweet spot back, where I can just do a little nudging without setting off the danger warning, and still allow a bigger nudge for desperation save attempts? Bonus points if I can have slam tilt functionality, but it's not necessary. I'm running Pinball FX2, TPA, and Visual Pinball, if any solution is program-specific.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
You might be able to use x360ce to adjust the sensitivity and deadzone.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
About how much did that cost you to build? It never occurred to me to make a small version to save space and money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

You might be able to use x360ce to adjust the sensitivity and deadzone.
Yeah, I'm already using this because the PinScape controller gives DirectInput style signals, and The Pinball Arcade requires XInput. I've tried playing around with some of the sensitivity and deadzone with it, but haven't had any luck finding the magic mix yet.

cosmicjim posted:

About how much did that cost you to build? It never occurred to me to make a small version to save space and money.
It was about $15 for the FRDM-KL25Z microcontroller, which the Pinscape controller is based on (it has built-in accelerometers). $7 for the slide potentiometer for the plunger sensor. About $15 in buttons. Another maybe $15 for fancy ribbon cables and connectors so I can easily add and disconnect buttons, but someone could easily just solder permanent connections with spare wire they've got laying around. I added some USB-powered PC speakers to the inside, which were about $15. About $20 in wood (bought from the surplus pile at the local hardware store). Maybe $10 for screws and nuts and bolts (all of the main components are held together with bolts and nuts, so that I can easily disassemble and re-assemble the whole thing for transport). The plunger itself is just a large bolt that cost about $1. I'm using the spiral binding from a spiral notebook for the plunger spring, because I can't find any springs for sale here in Denmark, despite wasting a lot of time looking. Also had to spend about $10 for the shipping of the microcontroller, potentiometer, and buttons, because there is no Amazon Prime equivalent here with free shipping.

I'm using the laptop I already own (I've set it up so that I can either put the laptop inside the cabinet, so that everything is a single unit with only a power cord coming out, or I can have all of the wires to the laptop come out and connect to the laptop externally), so that was no additional cost. Obviously, if someone doesn't already have a computer for running it, or wanted a dedicated computer for it, that would be the main cost driver.

I made it so that the main playfield monitor can easily be taken out and put back in, so it wouldn't have been that hard for me to use one of my desk monitors, but I decided to splurge a little, and bought a $100 monitor just for it. The backglass/DMD monitor in the backbox doesn't really need to be particularly good or high resolution, so I simply took one of the old ones we have laying around at work. Obviously, not everyone has access to free old monitors, so count on maybe another $30 or so on craigslist or something.

So that would be $107 for the cabinetry, wiring, controller, and speakers. And then another $100 for the playfield monitor.

I spent $207 altogether then, as an estimate. If I'd really, really tried to build it on the super-cheap, and re-used my desk monitor and had just soldered permanent connections with spare wire, I could have had it all done for under $100.

I still need to buy and add a few more buttons (magna-save, volume +/- and mute, dedicated exit-to-PinballX button, etc.), so I'll spend a little bit more when all is said and done.

Another angle, to show the buttons and plunger, too: