Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

whatever7 posted:

But you can't write a good ending for lady stoneheart! That's why this zombie poo poo is dumb! It also makes zombie Jon a character people hard to root for.

GURM should have rewritten the series from book 4 and time skip most of the poo poo. And give book readers a lol $5 coupon to buy the revised book 4 and 5.

It's not about Stoneheart - Catelyn's story is done, its about Brienne and Jaime. Stoneheart is merely a plot device for them, though I have no idea how it'll play out - Maybe Jaime sacrifices himself for Brienne, maybe Brienne has to come to terms with the pliability of oaths in an absurd society and has to kill her former Lady (echoing Jaime), who knows. Whatever it is, it has reverberations for those two characters.

I actually think it fits this season pretty well, with Jon resurrected, it would bring ambiguity into the whole process. Is Jon trustworthy now, now that we see a totally mad bloodthirsty Stoneheart? Should we let dead stay dead? Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

People are pretty sure we saw Ned and co. at the Tower of Joy in what probably a Bran "flashback" during the season trailer, right? That wasn't just something I read on a random blog?

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

I'm thinking that the stoneheart character/arc might be melded into Sansa herself. After everything she's been through, I can see her becoming obsessed with revenge now that she will find herself in a place of power in the north.

tadashi posted:

People are pretty sure we saw Ned and co. at the Tower of Joy in what probably a Bran "flashback" during the season trailer, right? That wasn't just something I read on a random blog?

The trailer shows northerners fighting a solider in a Targaryen breastplate. Very likely.

LegalPad fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 27, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
This has been kind of bothering me, that speech Cersei gives about her mother's rotting corpse and now her daughters, I swear I've heard it before. Was it in a preview or something that I'm not remembering?

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

This has been kind of bothering me, that speech Cersei gives about her mother's rotting corpse and now her daughters, I swear I've heard it before. Was it in a preview or something that I'm not remembering?

Yeah they released a few short clips before the show aired. That, along with Davos guarding John's body were included.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

LegalPad posted:

Yeah they released a few short clips before the show aired. That, along with Davos guarding John's body were included.

Right, that explains it, thanks.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mike N Eich posted:

I actually think it fits this season pretty well, with Jon resurrected, it would bring ambiguity into the whole process. Is Jon trustworthy now, now that we see a totally mad bloodthirsty Stoneheart? Should we let dead stay dead? Etc.

This is the main reason Stoneheart being cut bothers me. Beric and her both show different shades of how coming back can change you, and while it's possible Jon's mind is safe thanks to warging or w/e it still keeps you thinking about how he may change, too. Whether it will be for better or worse.

The Jaime and Brienne stuff is also super important, but really only in the books at this point. Even with Jaime going to the Riverlands I'm not sure they'll bother with any of their cliffhanger. Especially if they're both supposed to come out of it alive, there's even less point to adapt it.

Hell at this point I'm not sure I would believe show Jaime hating or abandoning Cersei. Like after what they've been through together on the show and Myrcella admitting she knew the truth and loved him as a father before dying etc, I would personally find it super hard to believe adultery would be enough to make him stop loving her and seeing her for who she really is. Like short of her just killing Tommen herself I don't buy show Jaime leaving Cersei to maybe die.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Groovelord Neato posted:

why is he called littlefinger. his fingers looked normal length to me. he aint trump.

Also he was small for his age and I think he's still short. In the books anyway.

So he was a lot like Sweetrobin. Littlefinger being Robert's real father is one of the more plausible "shocking twist that doesn't really matter and has no effect on the plot" theories and I buy it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Wow, having only learned from this thread about that quote about how he became a writer, I thought it was parody. The real quote is so much worse than any of the fake ones. It sums up what the writers don't get about the books—there are no poetic, cliche, or network television outcomes. To wit: the Starks.

Had GRM written that kid into the book, some nameless thenn would have thoughtlessly cleaved him in two 10 seconds into the battle.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Yeah, in the books Jon is actually grateful that he doesn't know who killed Ygritte because he knows he'll never be able to forgive the dude.

Instead he makes Ollie his squire and tries to be his friend/mentor.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

esperterra posted:

Hell at this point I'm not sure I would believe show Jaime hating or abandoning Cersei. Like after what they've been through together on the show and Myrcella admitting she knew the truth and loved him as a father before dying etc, I would personally find it super hard to believe adultery would be enough to make him stop loving her and seeing her for who she really is. Like short of her just killing Tommen herself I don't buy show Jaime leaving Cersei to maybe die.

They easily opened the door to have Cersei dislike Jaime and have Jaime feel further estranged from his family and for some reason did the exact opposite of that.

I wonder if they're just totally gonna change where Jaime is headed.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

"And what if during the battle of Castle Black, he's the one who ends up killing Ygritte?"

"Oh, no. That is... No, Dave. We're not gonna do that. That sounds very silly."

This year Dave Hill takes lunch orders.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

"And what if during the battle of Castle Black, he's the one who ends up killing Ygritte?"

"Who the gently caress are you? And where is my coffee?"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Shouldn't there be more important things for him and his army to do than sort out the remaining Stark loyalists who just stay in their castles? They can wait.

-Dorne's insurrection and declaring war
-The Iron Islands probably raiding Highgarden
-Those wildlings below the Wall
-Whoever rules the Stormlands now if it still exists
-The Warden of the North's son marrying the Stark heir. A sneaky lord married to the sneaky Freys, let's secure their hold over the region
-Tyrells in the capital
-The High Sparrow

I'm not complaining, these would be terrible and the riverlands stuff might actually be good.

edit: do they know Littlefinger arranged the Bolton marriage?

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 27, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ague Proof posted:

-Whoever rules the Stormlands now if it still exists

I never though about that. Who the hell is ruling the Stromlands right now?

I wonder if the show is ever going to bother explaining that

EDIT: thinking about it, Tommen would be the rightful heir right? But so far it doenst not seems like the news of Stannis death have arrived in KL anyway

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I really think they're going to give Sansa the Stoneheart story.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Who the hell is ruling the Stromlands right now?

An immortal segregationist.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drunken officeparty posted:

It fits with the rest of the theme in the show that no matter how good a fighter you are, anyone can be killed.

Barristan Selmy is a living legend, Death Incarnate. One of the coolest parts of his character is that we see him in old age and never get to see him fight as a vanguard knight, and his prowess in killing is almost indescribable, even to his spiritual successor, Jamie Lannister.

He's almost certainly going to die facing a superior force alongside the Honor Guard he personally trained within the first half of TWoW, but he shouldn't have died fighting some guys with knives, even if there are 50 of them.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Ague Proof posted:

edit: do they know Littlefinger arranged the Bolton marriage?

I don't think so. Given that it doesn't make sense for him to expose a plot he orchestrated at the huge risk to implicating himself for treason on several counts, they probably just figured he found out about it somehow.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Professor Shark posted:

Barristan Selmy is a living legend, Death Incarnate. One of the coolest parts of his character is that we see him in old age and never get to see him fight as a vanguard knight, and his prowess in killing is almost indescribable, even to his spiritual successor, Jamie Lannister.

He's almost certainly going to die facing a superior force alongside the Honor Guard he personally trained within the first half of TWoW, but he shouldn't have died fighting some guys with knives, even if there are 50 of them.

Didn't his job on the kingsguard include acting as head of security, on top of just being good with a sword? It was really out of character for someone who held that position for so long to be wandering around practically unarmored (basically just wearing a leather shirt) when there is a confirmed, armed threat.

Sounds like Dave Hill's doing.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Enigma posted:

Didn't his job on the kingsguard include acting as head of security, on top of just being good with a sword? It was really out of character for someone who held that position for so long to be wandering around practically unarmored (basically just wearing a leather shirt) when there is a confirmed, armed threat.

Sounds like Dave Hill's doing.

Yes. Someone in his position would be organizing security and also never, ever leave the king's/queen's side.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

LegalPad posted:

The trailer shows northerners fighting a solider in a Targaryen breastplate. Very likely.

God the show has really given up on having actual medieval-style suits of armor, hasn't it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Man, Robert was so good in the show. In the books I just never found him interesting and then he was dead, but the show did a really great job bringing him to life and making him an engaging character.

Yes, this was a great scene and God how I miss Robert. This actor was great and to this day he remains one of my favorite characters on the show, even though he's been dead for 44 episodes

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Max posted:

I really think they're going to give Sansa the Stoneheart story.

Sansa making Brienne kill Jamie? I like it, it will piss the book readers more, and make people hate Sansa more.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

It's amazing how much the show-only material declined. In seasons 1-3 the show only material was usually fantastic, you had scenes like Robert with Cersei, Tywin with Arya, Olenna with anyone, etc etc. They all were used to flesh out these characters and make em feel more real.

Now the show is trying so furiously to hit plot points there isn't much time to breathe and live in these characters. The most the show has done for that in the past season was at the Wall and with Stannis, and that led us to some of the best season 5 material, until the show hyperdrived Stannis' rise and fall so much that it made no goddamn sense.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it's funny cuz most of the stuff they changed/added/removed was for the better and then once they ran out of books they just fell off a cliff.

oh wait i lied removing manderly was dumb as gently caress.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Every fat character removed has been a negative: Manderly? Missed as hell. Strong Belwas? Pretty boy bland Daario sucks poo poo compared to him. Ilyrio? Made skinnier, then cut completely, kinda sorta missed. The fat guy that enslaves Tyrion? Ok he can go actually.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Mike N Eich posted:

It's amazing how much the show-only material declined. In seasons 1-3 the show only material was usually fantastic, you had scenes like Robert with Cersei, Tywin with Arya, Olenna with anyone, etc etc. They all were used to flesh out these characters and make em feel more real.

Even back then they still struggled when they had to significantly alter the plot versus added scenes that contributed to characterization or background. It wasn't really an issue in Season 1 (in large part since AGoT is by far the most tightly written book and they didn't really have to make any major adaptations to the plot), but in Season 2 they had to and ended up with goofy stuff like Dany futzing around in Qarth, Littlefinger trying to get back with Cat by bringing her back her husband's corpse and just generally moving around Westeros at the speed of plot, Jaime casually murdering his own cousin, etc. I think that the problem has just been exacerbated as the books became more sprawling and they started running out of material, but it was always there.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Dolash posted:

Mel will resurrect Stannis instead of Jon and glamour him to look like Jon so he can take his place and become Lord Stark to exact his revenge.

Or alternatively when Mel tries to resurrect Jon, Stannis's grumpy soul muscles his way in and he goes on to pretend to be Jon for the rest of the series. Davos only figures it out in a moment of silence when he hears Jon quietly grinding his teeth.

Either of these would be great, but I'll take the second one.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah it's funny cuz most of the stuff they changed/added/removed was for the better and then once they ran out of books they just fell off a cliff.

oh wait i lied removing manderly was dumb as gently caress.

Manderly or a Manderly-type character will appear in this season.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

savinhill posted:

Either of these would be great, but I'll take the second one.

Stannis would rat himself out way too early when someone says there's a lot less brothers of the Night's Watch than there used to be.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Dolash posted:

Mel will resurrect Stannis instead of Jon and glamour him to look like Jon so he can take his place and become Lord Stark to exact his revenge.

Or alternatively when Mel tries to resurrect Jon, Stannis's grumpy soul muscles his way in and he goes on to pretend to be Jon for the rest of the series. Davos only figures it out in a moment of silence when he hears Jon quietly grinding his teeth.

"Even with your wildlings, Snow, we have less men than the Boltons do."

".........fewer."

[edit] ^ dammit

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So in the book Loras is horrifically disfigured with boiling pitch or something. In the show people keep asking about him, but the sparrows don't ever respond. I'm guessing there will be a shocking reveal where he's horrifically disfigured due to having been tortured the whole time, replacing that Kettleblack dude. It won't make any sense because he wasn't sleeping with Cersei or plotting anything, and it will be another stupid change.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

counterfeitsaint posted:

So in the book Loras is horrifically disfigured with boiling pitch or something. In the show people keep asking about him, but the sparrows don't ever respond. I'm guessing there will be a shocking reveal where he's horrifically disfigured due to having been tortured the whole time, replacing that Kettleblack dude. It won't make any sense because he wasn't sleeping with Cersei or plotting anything, and it will be another stupid change.

It's kind of a Thing in the book that Loras' disfigurement is a rumor, though. Nobody was a 1st or 2nd hand witness.

Hey uh, why were Marge and Loras actually arrested in the show? I feel it was something stupid, like Loras accidentally said "Sure loved Renly's COCK" and Margaery got arrested for saying "My brother's not a homo" under oath?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hey uh, why were Marge and Loras actually arrested in the show? I feel it was something stupid, like Loras accidentally said "Sure loved Renly's COCK" and Margaery got arrested for saying "My brother's not a homo" under oath?

Littlefinger gets his gay spy (Olyvar?) to rat out Loras in order to gain favor with Cersei, I think. And yeah then Margaery gets arrested for lying to defend him since she walked in on him and Olyvar earlier that season.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ague Proof posted:

Manderly or a Manderly-type character will appear in this season.

that doesn't change that it should've been the bulk of last season.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Loras is gonna gets his leg crushed by FrankenMountain, completing the Willas absorption.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

Every fat character removed has been a negative: Manderly? Missed as hell. Strong Belwas? Pretty boy bland Daario sucks poo poo compared to him. Ilyrio? Made skinnier, then cut completely, kinda sorta missed. The fat guy that enslaves Tyrion? Ok he can go actually.

The guy that played Ilyrio owns and I was disappointed that he didn't come back last season.

And by the time the season was over I had forgotten because of all the other terrible garbage that happened afterward.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Professor Shark posted:

Wait, I might be misremembering but I think we do see him fight in DwD. Izdar zo Loraq is ruling over Mereen after Daenerys escapes with Drogon and Barristan gathers his forces and kicks him out or some poo poo, and in the process he has to fight some of Izdar's guardians, which granted are actually pit fighters so they put up a poor fight, but we do get a glimpse of Barristan moping the ground with them.

Mike N Eich posted:

The fat guy that enslaves Tyrion? Ok he can go actually.

I don't know if it was intentional or not seeing as how GRRM is a fan of Star Wars, but from the descriptions I always pictured this guy as a human Jabba.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It was exactly that, which even for Nazi Fantasy Church standards doesn't make much sense.

I really hate what they did with Loras and Renly's character on the show, but I was delighted when one of the book editors teared D&D a new one over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Loras was arrested because his squire - the guy who, you know, dresses him - claimed he was banging him, and as his sole proof, said he was able to describe the shape of one of his birthmarks.

• Locked thread