Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I dont even remember anyone having a gun in Cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

You can't really argue with this marketing campaign because its the only reason anyone is aware of this movie about a CGI cat. Otherwise it would have just been "oh, Key and Peele are doing a movie about a cat", and forgotten about two seconds later.

They actually used over a dozen real kittens.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

The MSJ posted:

They actually used over a dozen real kittens.

So real kitten with CGI composited face? That's pretty cool, and the effect looks good. I wasn't trying to start another stupid anti-CGI debate, I don't know why I even used the term. We should post trigger warnings before we use it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Basebf555 posted:

So real kitten with CGI composited face? That's pretty cool
They had to remove the real face first of course, but don't worry; they left a tiny air hole.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Cleretic posted:

I always thought that anyone who tries to talk about 'the Citizen Kane of our time' or anything similar doesn't get why Citizen Kane is a big deal.

It isn't big because it's a Good Movie. It was big because it pioneered a ton of technical cinematography to help tell its story. 'The Citizen Kane of our time' can't be something like Jobs, because if anything it's probably The Matrix. 'The Citizen Kane of video games' can't be Bioshock Infinite, but you can make a strong case for Deus Ex or even Doom.

When someone talks about "The Citizen Kane Of [blank]" they typically mean a work of art that is the pinnacle of the medium, and the arrival of said medium as True Art. What people forget is that Citizen Kane was initially praised as a great film because it used a lot of new or recently developed techniques to tell a compelling story about an interesting man. It wasn't known solely for its special effects, it was also a drat fun movie to watch, and isn't super heady and stuffy like its cultural legacy would suggest. A lot of people miss that when tossing around Citizen Kane comparisons.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Avatar would've been the Citizen Kane of the 21st century if it wasn't so forgettable

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Citizen Kane is good but it's no Touch of Evil.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I feel like it's the type of thing that changes movies forever. I'd say Star Wars is the Citizen Kane of our time, I'm not sure what else qualifies. I guess you could argue Pulp Fiction or the Matrix was the Citizen Kane of the 90s. Lord of the Rings was the Citizen Kane of fantasy. I don't know where I'm going with this tbh. Amy Pascal sucks though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Citizen Kang was the Citizen Kane of holiday themed cartoon vignettes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Citizen Kane is good but it's no Touch of Evil.

Touch of Evil is massively underrated.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

kiimo posted:

I feel like it's the type of thing that changes movies forever. I'd say Star Wars is the Citizen Kane of our time, I'm not sure what else qualifies. I guess you could argue Pulp Fiction or the Matrix was the Citizen Kane of the 90s. Lord of the Rings was the Citizen Kane of fantasy. I don't know where I'm going with this tbh. Amy Pascal sucks though.

Jaws?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's coming:

Also I don't know anything about this movie but the poster makes me think about John Wick but with Travolta (which is probably not even close):

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

I am FAT

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Palpek posted:

It's coming:

After listening to My Brother, My Brother, And Me for three years, I can't take Shnowden seriously anymore.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why does the Snowden poster feature the screenwriters? Seems very unusual.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Also I don't know anything about this movie but the poster makes me think about John Wick but with Travolta (which is probably not even close):

Ever since the success of Taken aging former stars have tried to replicate it with their own gritty revenge movie. Kevin Costner, Pierce Brosnan, Jason Patric, and Keanu Reeves all did it, John Wick is the only decent movie out of the bunch.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vegetable posted:

Why does the Snowden poster feature the screenwriters? Seems very unusual.

Needed to get Oliver Stone's name in big letters on there one more time

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Palpek posted:

It's coming:

This looks like a screenshot from the first Max Payne comic book panels. Only lovely.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

A pretty cool Cranston poster:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

bryan cranston + anthony mackie + frank langella? sign me up

also didn't john travolta already take a shot at the gritty old guy action movie with "from russia with love" (which sucked)?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

also didn't john travolta already take a shot at the gritty old guy action movie with "from russia with love" (which sucked)?
The credits sequence of Tony Scott's Taking of Pelhem 123 remake with Travolta mean mugging the camera with a buzz cut and a goatee, entirely in slow motion and set to "99 Problems" by Jay-Z is the greatest thing I've ever seen.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Allen Wren posted:

Touch of Evil is massively underrated.

That and F is for Fake are his two best movies (The Stranger is number three.)

Palpek posted:

That movie is such a low rent John Wick it's pathetic. It is so awful.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 28, 2016

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

At least see the best scene in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oHRSUfZjI0

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That and F is for Fake are his two best movies (The Stranger is number three.)

someone needs to see Chimes at Midnight

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
To be fair, John Wick is a high rent direct-to-video action flick, so The Wrath is more in line with its lineage.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SciFiDownBeat posted:

bryan cranston + anthony mackie + frank langella? sign me up

This is his first dad-revenge movie. The rest was him pretending to be 35

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Honest question, did Travolta do HGH

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

someone needs to see Chimes at Midnight

I have and do not agree.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

After listening to My Brother, My Brother, And Me for three years, I can't take Shnowden seriously anymore.

Have you seen the trailer? JGL is doing some goofy voice that is kind of hard to take seriously.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

kiimo posted:

Honest question, did Travolta do HGH

My reply to this is the same to the allegations Peyton took HGH: if he did, it was the shittiest HGH ever.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ammanas posted:

it was the shittiest HGH ever.

Horrible Growth Hormone

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Amerigeddon posted:

A dire warning of a wake up call of what might be our future when a globalist terrorist organization aligned with the United Nations disables the United States' power grid and institutes martial law. It will take a dedicated family of patriots armed with strong survival skills and the remains of the Second Amendment to save America and reclaim its freedom.

I wanted to check out if the movie's Wikipedia page had any funny review quotes, but I found it doesn't have a Wikipedia page. Amerigeddon's writer/producer Gary Heavin sure does though, and it's hilarious. I'm pretty sure he wrote it himself.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Take my gun, please.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

I wanted to check out if the movie's Wikipedia page had any funny review quotes, but I found it doesn't have a Wikipedia page. Amerigeddon's writer/producer Gary Heavin sure does though, and it's hilarious. I'm pretty sure he wrote it himself.

totally not Gary Heavin posted:

Heavin dropped out of college at age 20 and took over a iailing tness center in Houston, Texas. ThAlong with his brother David, they built the business into a chain of 14 locations.
Jesus.

ETA:

quote:

After his first marriage, Heavin was sentenced to jail for failure to pay child support. While in jail he rededicated his life to Christian values, and he has been outspoken about his support for pro-life causes.
Hahaha.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

A) F For Fake owns
B) will Keanu be the Brain Candy of Key And Peele or the Run Ronnie Run?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It looked funny enough in the trailers but personally I'm still way more excited for Jordan Peele's Blumhouse Horror movie

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I Before E posted:

A) F For Fake owns
B) will Keanu be the Brain Candy of Key And Peele or the Run Ronnie Run?

Aren't the big issues with Brain Candy and Run Ronnie Run that they had problems with the studios? Keanu seems to have a much smoother production.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

muscles like this? posted:

Aren't the big issues with Brain Candy and Run Ronnie Run that they had problems with the studios? Keanu seems to have a much smoother production.

I thought he was saying "will it be good like Brain Candy or lovely like Run Ronnie Run."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

It looked funny enough in the trailers but personally I'm still way more excited for Jordan Peele's Blumhouse Horror movie

Wait a minute.... what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

MacheteZombie posted:

Wait a minute.... what?
Yep.