Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I know, which led to a funny moment in class when we were discussing Clockwork and the professor asked a Russian friend of mine if she had any difficulties reading it.

Same happened when I was studying in the UK and did a history of English class. Not only am I Dutch but both my parents are Frisian, which I understand but don't speak fluently, so I had little trouble understanding Old English while my British classmates were really struggling.

I guess being bilingual and used to code switching is definitely an advantage when reading something like Feersum Endjinn. Funnily enough I didn't parse the title as intended when I bought the book. I just took it as a fantasy/scifi name until I was a couple of chapters in and it clicked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Any time you learn a new language you probably start out reading the words "out loud" in your head, so I'd imagine that experience with that would help in books written in dialect or with strange orthographies. Whether growing up bilingual specifically is useful in that context I don't know - in that case you probably read reasonably fluently in both languages, although I know that if I have to switch between languages it takes me a little while to get properly into it. I didn't have much problem with Feersum Endjinn either though.

Lankiveil
Feb 23, 2001

Forums Minimalist
I was cleaning up my bookcases this evening and opened the beat up old hardcover of "The Algebraist" that I picked up for $2 at a car boot sale, to discover it has an undedicated autograph in the front from Banks. Too bad that the dust jacket is pretty beat up and the pages are already showing signs of yellowing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 11 minutes!

Lankiveil posted:

I was cleaning up my bookcases this evening and opened the beat up old hardcover of "The Algebraist" that I picked up for $2 at a car boot sale, to discover it has an undedicated autograph in the front from Banks. Too bad that the dust jacket is pretty beat up and the pages are already showing signs of yellowing.

That's really cool anyway. I have a lot of fondness for books with a physical history, & that one for sure qualifies.

Obviously if it was dedicated & to you personally and whatever but eh, life's too short. You should probably have paid at least like 10 bucks for it tho, if the guy knew :|

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

So I've needed a new set of novels into which to delve, and decided to finally start the Culture. I'm beginning with Excession.

Few dozen pages in. I dig this poo poo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you started with Excession and haven't been completely turned off, the rest of the series should be no problem.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I was under the impression it was thought well of by Culture readers; is that not the case?

At any rate I'm enjoying it so it doesn't matter. The wry British-humor style gives me fond memories of Douglas Adams, if he had been a better craftsman and thematically more...well, grown-up, I guess.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Excession is a great start to the books, probably the best one.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mdemone posted:

I was under the impression it was thought well of by Culture readers; is that not the case?

At any rate I'm enjoying it so it doesn't matter. The wry British-humor style gives me fond memories of Douglas Adams, if he had been a better craftsman and thematically more...well, grown-up, I guess.

It's not bad, it's just weird and probably one of the harder ones to get into without a little prior knowledge of the Culture universe.

There's a semi-serious view held by some that Excesion, Inversions and Look to Windward form a sort of loose trilogy, showing the Culture seen, respectively, from above, from below, and from head-on from a roughly equal civilization.

Look to Windward is my favorite Banks book fwiw.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I think I see what you mean, which is largely why I chose Excession as a starting point. I wanted to have a wide perspective on the Minds and the whole setting in general.

I'll definitely keep that trilogy idea in mind as I move on from here.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
Excession is the obvious goon favorite because of spaceships posting. :awesomelon::justpost:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Excession is a very good book but I've always thought despite that, it was one of the weaker culture novels. Hopefully you're in for a real treat when you get to the rest of them.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I hold Excession, Look to Windward and Player of Games roughly in equal esteem though they are very different books. The only problems I see starting with Excession are that you'll lose on a lot of subtle things because you are unfamiliar with the setting and that, not having read other novels before, you might not fully appreciate the perspective of Minds as much.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Base Emitter posted:

Excession is the obvious goon favorite because of spaceships posting. :awesomelon::justpost:

:hellyeah:

Player of Games is the best Culture book IMO. It doesn't suffer from the wandering plotlines that the later books fall prey to.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Player of Games or Use of Weapons are my general recommended on-ramps.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I tend to recommend release order, but walk into Consider Phlebas understanding you are most definitely not being given the full picture, and uncovering it through later books is half the fun.

I feel like directing people to the later titles risks spoiling that discovery.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
The problem with that is Horza is dumb and wrong. The Culture has issues but none of them are the ones that Horza identifies. It's significantly better to come in after you understand how the Culture does what they do (and how that doesn't always work) than to have your introduction be Horza who doesn't even manage to be wrong most of the time.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Peztopiary posted:

The problem with that is Horza is dumb and wrong. The Culture has issues but none of them are the ones that Horza identifies. It's significantly better to come in after you understand how the Culture does what they do (and how that doesn't always work) than to have your introduction be Horza who doesn't even manage to be wrong most of the time.

I think we're agreeing, just we have different views on whether that's a problem.

I don't mind being waylaid by an untrustworthy narrator.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don't like recommending Phlebas first because, while awesome, it is also ugly and quite mean.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm far from sure that I'd describe Excession as the best Culture book, but it's definitely my favourite. That ITG takeover of the Taussig Incident scratches a very deep-rooted itch.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I actually didn't like Excession as much as the others in the series, mainly because I just could not stand Genar-Hofoen as a character.

Peztopiary posted:

Phlebas in general is hard, because it's not the best book to be introduced with, but if you have already read some of the other books, you're going to spend a large amount of time thinking exactly what you express here. Also, man that middle section DRAAAAAGGGSSS.

I do appreciate how Banks would change up the point of view for each book, so that you get a really complete picture of what The Culture looks like as a whole.

Max fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 28, 2016

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I started with Use of Weapons and got hooked fwiw.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Horza did nothing wrong.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Look to Windward is the best Culture book. Fact. imo

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

You still have to respect Horza a little, because he's one of the only people who is anti-Culture from an informed position without being a massive hypocrite. All the others I can think of - like the Contact ambassador to the Affront, or early-book Gurgeh from Player of Games - say they've fallen in love with a harsh, 'genuine' society but only really party with the local aristocrats. They don't love being in an imperfect society; they just enjoy knowing that other people are suffering while they aren't.

At least Horza bleeds and suffers for his dumb cause.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

You still have to respect Horza a little,

Yeah, but so does his fuzzy girlfriend and unborn child.

And so I don't. :colbert:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Strategic Tea posted:

You still have to respect Horza a little,

Empathize with stupidity and you're halfway to thinking like an idiot. :colbert:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Strategic Tea posted:

At least Horza bleeds and suffers for his dumb cause.

A dumb cause is not ennobled by the suffering of it's adherents. Also, generally Horza leaves the suffering to others. He's just as self-satisfied as any Culture citizen, he just murders a bunch more people.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I mostly enjoyed the melancholic feel of Look to Windward but I found the whole ending with the e-dust assassin thing just lame. It felt really out of character for the Culture and the tech itself felt like I was supposed to be impressed by nanites in a setting with Minds. As if Banks added a placeholder for INSERT ATROCITY HERE and forgot to come back to it.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It was basically a really heavy-handed "The Minds are actually effectively just people with no limits" reminder in case people weren't paying attention.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
An act of revenge for an act of revenge for a botched intervention against an awful social structure. And employing a terror weapon, too! And the ascended Chelgrians are somewhere in this whole chain of violence. Look to Windward really wants you to know that the "gods" of the setting aren't much better than us.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Peztopiary posted:

A dumb cause is not ennobled by the suffering of it's adherents. Also, generally Horza leaves the suffering to others. He's just as self-satisfied as any Culture citizen, he just murders a bunch more people.

I agree the cause isn't any nobler, but I still think Horza is a better person for not just being hot air. I mean we open with him being drowned in a sewer, and then we have cannibal island :gonk:. I think Banks wanted to make sure that he wasn't just another post-scarcity twit enjoying his diplomatic immunity.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Horza is an idealist who believes so much in his cause that any means justify the cause. The cause being of course the destruction or at least alteration of the Culture. So he's aligned with their enemy even though they're at the very least equally bad, just in other, different ways. He's a single issue voter who doesn't care if his world burns, as long as he gets to have his say if only for a moment.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:agreed: and that cause is basically making people suffer so that life feels like it has some edge to it.

He's a slightly better person, which still translates to total rear end in a top hat if you take him out of the protagonist spotlight.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

General Battuta posted:

An act of revenge for an act of revenge for a botched intervention against an awful social structure. And employing a terror weapon, too! And the ascended Chelgrians are somewhere in this whole chain of violence. Look to Windward really wants you to know that the "gods" of the setting aren't much better than us.

On the other hand, Surface Detail presents them as more or less divine beings who've helped build a heaven on Earth. The Minds are pretty complex and a lot of things to a lot of people

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation

multijoe posted:

On the other hand, Surface Detail presents them as more or less divine beings who've helped build a heaven on Earth. The Minds are pretty complex and a lot of things to a lot of people

Who's "them"? The chelgrian ascendancy or whatever they're called built a heaven, but it's not open for everybody. It's a gated community. I don't remember Culture minds being involved in the afterlife construction business. They mess around with them, but built them?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Horza is an idealist who believes so much in his cause that any means justify the cause. The cause being of course the destruction or at least alteration of the Culture. So he's aligned with their enemy even though they're at the very least equally bad, just in other, different ways. He's a single issue voter who doesn't care if his world burns, as long as he gets to have his say if only for a moment.

That's fine and I think that reading works if you don't know that the Culture end up being the "good guys" of the rest of the books. If you've read of few already, and then go into Phlebas, you just see him as kinda . . . I don't know a good word but he wasn't as engaging.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

General Battuta posted:

I always figured the "botched intervention" was utter bollocks. It seemed far more plausible that SC just took the blame in order to stop the Chelgrians exterminating themselves.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Who's "them"? The chelgrian ascendancy or whatever they're called built a heaven, but it's not open for everybody. It's a gated community. I don't remember Culture minds being involved in the afterlife construction business. They mess around with them, but built them?

Ah, I thought he was referring to The Minds, not the Chelgrians. And I by heaven on Earth meant they've helped The Culture build a worldly paradise and have a near supernatural role in performing 'miracles' through their technology, like the Me I'm Counting resurrecting Lededje and Falling Outside the Normal Moral Constraints smiting Vespers and the GCFC, not that they'd been building literal heavens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Snapchat A Titty posted:

The impression I got was that the whole concept doesn't exactly make sense in the Culture. They have the sort of virtual environments that would constitute another society's heaven, but as far as I can tell they have no interest in restricting people from passing in and out of them, so it ends up being more of a change of address or body mod than an afterlife.

• Locked thread