Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Now that I've watched more than the first episode, I can confidently say: Tanaka it's a good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

JRPG speedruns are a thing, and apparently people are 100%ing FF12 in under 30 hours

e: lol this isn't the chat thread

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 28, 2016

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Motto posted:

JRPG speedruns are a thing, and apparently people are 100%ing FF12 in under 30 hours

my favorite is the 100% baten kaitos speed run which takes 347 hours

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
While I'm not surprised there are JRPG speedruns, I can't imagine most of them would be that interesting to watch.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Bad Seafood posted:

While I'm not surprised there are JRPG speedruns, I can't imagine most of them would be that interesting to watch.

i think there was a run of earthbound that just turned into the player breaking the poo poo out of the game

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
There's a Chrono Trigger speedrun at every AGDQ and it gets more donations than any other game at the event. It's largely a normal run of the game with an exploit that skips some cutscenes and it's incorrigibly boring.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
isn't there always a fire emblem speedrun that boils down to hoping the rng lets you win faster

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

HellCopter posted:

...speedrun... it's incorrigibly boring.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I've watched a few zelda and metroid speedruns and they were a lot of fun

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Linnaeus posted:

I've watched a few zelda and metroid speedruns and they were a lot of fun

Yes! RPGs must be the worst things to speedrun but some games are great to watch, even the game-breaking tool-assisted runs.

I remember seeing a few days ago that someone just set a new record for Mario 1 again.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Anything turn-based is typically pretty boring to watch someone else play in real time. That's why we invented screenshot LPs.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Before you hurriedly quote my post to share one of the no doubt dozens of exceptions that exist, please note my use of the word "Typically."

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Bad Seafood posted:

Anything turn-based is typically pretty boring to watch someone else play in real time. That's why we invented screenshot LPs.

actually it was because the world was in dire need of a new source of tedium

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
we delivered

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

Before you hurriedly quote my post to share one of the no doubt dozens of exceptions that exist, please note my use of the word "Typically."

No, I'm pretty sure you're probably right. The only thing I can think of is when someone's showing off some exploit.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My posting is typically the best.

Bad Seafood posted:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Motto posted:

e: lol this isn't the chat thread

is there a category for gambit-only combat?

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I've been loath to continue the PL/PW crossover because I started a playthrough with a friend and it doesn't quite feel right not playing in tandem.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i think there was a run of earthbound that just turned into the player breaking the poo poo out of the game

If it's possible to do so in an RPG, it's done with a new category made where that exploit isn't allowed.

There are R/B 151 Pokemon runs that's basically a series of glitch executions to capture Pokemon. It helps that those games are already broken as poo poo. The runs are just supplying a little more force than most kids did when they learned the MissingNo glitch.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

graybook posted:

I've been loath to continue the PL/PW crossover because I started a playthrough with a friend and it doesn't quite feel right not playing in tandem.

You're not missing out on much, sadly.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

my favorite is the 100% baten kaitos speed run which takes 347 hours

Lol, that card is a huge dick move and I'm glad I was told about it

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Erg posted:

Which one? Never attempted to get everything, but I remember you had to keep this one item you got near the beginning of the game for something like 20-30 hours in game time, when you would have likely gotten rid of it because it limits your magus invetory.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Erg posted:

What's it involve?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's it involve?

You know how cards change as they age? There's one (that starts out as a peach or bananas or something?) that takes something like 200+ hours to fully age to its last stage.

I don't remember if it's even useful for battle, but god I hope it isn't

e: it's this

Reddit Speedrun posted:

- Why is it so long?
In this game, items evolve over time. There is an item, the Shampoo, that takes literally 2 weeks (= 336 hours) to evolve into Splendid Hair. Don't ask why the creators decided this, they probably love memes.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't watched it but I imagine the speedrun is just getting to as close to the end as possible and then just leaving the game on for two weeks to wait for the card to evolve.
Though there's at least one person who does FF10 runs that last for ~24 hours.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Demicol posted:

I haven't watched it but I imagine the speedrun is just getting to as close to the end as possible and then just leaving the game on for two weeks to wait for the card to evolve.

The funny thing about it is that it means there's no urgency to complete the game quickly once you get the Shampoo item, since you could probably do about everything in the game casually and still have time to spare.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Demicol posted:

In the run notes he said he broke the game up by sections for each day, so he'd spend 6 hours playing, and then just leave it running in the background for the rest of the day

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Julias posted:

The funny thing about it is that it means there's no urgency to complete the game quickly once you get the Shampoo item, since you could probably do about everything in the game casually and still have time to spare.

Check the dude's notes. It turns out that time doesn't move when you have a menu open, and this is a JRPG menus are open all the time. You have to play in such a way that minimizes time in menus.

This is amazing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Races at the speed run events can be kinda fun to watch, but really one GDQ event you've seen them all.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

chumbler posted:

Races at the speed run events can be kinda fun to watch, but really one GDQ event you've seen them all.

I liked the poo poo game block, mainly the one that played like destitute man's Ys.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001

How I feel after reading this last page of posts about speedruns

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

chumbler posted:

The TAS-Bot stuff is really cool along with general glitch exhibitions and the Tetris Grandmaster stuff.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kabaneri continues to be amazing. Especially Mumei.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Anne-Happy is good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Kabaneri continues to be amazing. Especially Mumei.

Araki and Okouchi's total lack of restraint is definitely coming to the forefront again, though. The flashback and the episode's end were some pretty impressively heavy-duty edgy teenage grimdark.

On that note, I was thinking about the recurring motifs in Okouchi's work, like his delighted/horrified fascination with ruthless, amoral ubermenschen, and... Mumei is totally L-Elf, isn't she?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Araki and Okouchi's total lack of restraint is definitely coming to the forefront again, though. The flashback and the episode's end were some pretty impressively heavy-duty edgy teenage grimdark.

Well, I don't think "restraint" is a word I'd ever bring up when talking about anything related to zombies...or just Tetsuro Araki. The flashback was definitely very shounen and there were some "edgy" scenes involved, to be sure, but that all comes with the territory. This is literally the same dude who directed Highschool of the Dead and Death Note, in addition to Attack on Titan itself. None of those series lacked such content.

I'd say Mumei has almost the opposite kind of personality. Both of them are overconfident, but she isn't stoic like L-Elf (still a silly name). Much more carefree and careless. Which is a preferable state of affairs, at least in my opinion, since she is already more of a character at this time. It also brings some lighthearted moments to the proceedings in order to help balance the mood. Which is also why I liked how Ikoma hilariously got the crap kicked out of him.

wielder fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 29, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wielder posted:

Well, I don't think "restraint" is a word I'd ever bring up when talking about anything related to zombies...or just Tetsuro Araki. The flashback was definitely very shounen and there were some "edgy" scenes involved, to be sure, but that all comes with the territory. This is literally the same dude who directed Highschool of the Dead and Death Note, in addition to Attack on Titan itself. None of those series lacked such content.

I'd say Mumei has almost the opposite kind of personality. Both of them are overconfident, but she isn't stoic like L-Elf (still a silly name). Much more carefree and careless. Which is a preferable state of affairs, at least in my opinion, since she is already more of a character at this time. It also brings some lighthearted moments to the proceedings in order to help balance the mood. Which is also why I liked how Ikoma hilariously got the crap kicked out of him.

That's what I meant. Araki tends to massively oversell everything, and favours somewhat ridiculous grimdark. Combine that with the writer of Guilty Crown and Valvrave, and you get stuff like OUR HERO'S TRAGIC PAST WAS THAT HE LEFT HIS SISTER TO BE EATEN BY ZOMBIES WHEN THEY WERE BOTH KIDS BECAUSE HE WAS A COWARD AND THEN CAME BACK TO FIND HER AND SHE WAS A ZOMBIE AND HE HAD TO KILL HER AS BLOOD SPATTERED EVERYWHERE AND HIROYUKI SAWANO WENT LOUDLY INSANE IN THE BACKGROUND MY GOD HOW TRAGIC and AFTER BEING A JERK TO A BUNCH OF ANGRY SUPERSTITIOUS VILLAGERS FOR AN EPISODE MUMEI DEESCALATES THE SITUATION BY PLAYING WITH A BUNCH OF KIDS AND A WOMAN WHO HAS ALMOST EXCLUSIVELY HAD LINES ABOUT CHILDREN AND PARENTHOOD THIS EPISODE BUT THEN A PREGNANT WOMAN IS A ZOMBIE AND MUMEI KILLS HER AND HER UNBORN CHILD IN FRONT OF HER NEW FRIENDS WITH A SICKNASTY DOUBLE IMPALEMENT AS BLOOD SPATTERS EVERYWHERE AND HIROYUKI SAWANO GOES LOUDLY INSANE IN THE BACKGROUND MY GOD HOW TRAGIC. It's not exactly unexpected, but it's kind of like Mayoiga with significantly more 'oh poo poo, I think they're actually trying to be serious here'.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Darth Walrus posted:

That's what I meant. Araki tends to massively oversell everything, and favours somewhat ridiculous grimdark. Combine that with the writer of Guilty Crown and Valvrave, and you get stuff like [...] It's not exactly unexpected, but it's kind of like Mayoiga with significantly more 'oh poo poo, I think they're actually trying to be serious here'.

Please be more careful about the liberal use of Caps Lock. I can only imagine that more than one person would find it to be slightly annoying.

But honestly, almost nothing you've described strikes me as necessarily incorrect or inherently unsuitable for this type of story. It's a zombie apocalypse starring a bunch of teenagers. Visceral emotions, innocent victims, infighting and general suffering are to be expected. I also don't care for the loud Hiroyuki Sawano score myself, yet that's because of my personal preference for other kinds of music. But once again, "loud teenagers with tragic pasts that they aspire to overcome by becoming strong enough to defeat a monstrous threat in the context of an apocalyptic scenario" is a relatively common premise. It's literally the same rough outline as Eren's background from Attack on Titan, which is the most transparent inspiration for this show.

The new protagonist is more or less following those same footsteps, but I like the traits that make him a different character. Same goes for Mumei and what separates her from Mikasa (or ERUERUF). I think those are genuinely valid creative choices and already make the show better than Valvrave (kind of watchable but ultimately bad) or Guilty Crown (just terrible, especially thanks to Shu and Inori being boring leads) by default. One way or another, I think the staff has a clearer idea of what they are aiming for here, even if that will inevitably continue to include some schlocky moments and survival horror contrivances. If that's the game, I'm willing to play for the time being.

As for the level of seriousness, at least one person in the staff/cast is having a lot of fun: Link

wielder fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

wielder posted:

Please be more careful about the liberal use of Caps Lock. I can only imagine that more than one person would find it to be slightly annoying.

But honestly, almost nothing you've described strikes me as necessarily incorrect or inherently unsuitable for this type of story. It's a zombie apocalypse starring a bunch of teenagers. Visceral emotions, innocent victims, infighting and general suffering are to be expected. I also don't care for the loud Hiroyuki Sawano score myself, yet that's because of my personal preference for other kinds of music. But once again, "loud teenagers with tragic pasts that they aspire to overcome by becoming strong enough to defeat a monstrous threat in the context of an apocalyptic scenario" is a relatively common premise. It's literally the same rough outline as Eren's background from Attack on Titan, which is the most transparent inspiration for this show.

The new protagonist is more or less following those same footsteps, but I like the traits that make him a different character. Same goes for Mumei and what separates her from Mikasa (or ERUERUF). I think those are genuinely valid creative choices and already make the show better than Valvrave (kind of watchable but ultimately bad) or Guilty Crown (just terrible, especially thanks to Shu and Inori being boring leads) by default. One way or another, I think the staff has a clearer idea of what they are aiming for here, even if that will inevitably continue to include some schlocky moments and survival horror contrivances. If that's the game, I'm willing to play for the time being.

As for the level of seriousness, at least one person in the staff/cast is having a lot of fun: Link

Eren's background was some pretty heavy drama, but this one feels like Araki going 'You know what? I can do one better' and pushing the whole thing into the realm of the absurd. Little ten-year-old Eren didn't have to personally kill his mother, after all. Pretty much the only way that they could have taken it up a notch would be if Ikoma found zombie-sister chowing down on the corpse of their beloved family pet. Maybe in his next original work?

• Locked thread