Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Any reason you're bothering to keep the rebate and clip marks on the bottom one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Thoogsby posted:

Don't shoot skin with ektar unless you're in some serious overcast conditions.

So not true, you just need to tweak the colours in post.

Northam, February 2016 by Simon Deadman, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

thedoorstopper
Jan 25, 2015
Ansel:

Been looking at some of Dan Winters 4x5 stuff. Thought I'll keep the clip marks! As for the rebate, that's just me being a bit sloppy.

Btw getting some Stephen Shore vibes from your photos. I went through a period where I really liked his work, then found it meh, but I'm starting to warm to it again and yours are interesting. :) I think Shores work is interesting if you don't live in America, otherwise it seems banal I suppose.

as for the choice, I didn't have Portra on hand. Ektar isn't a bad choice for skin tones, but I must admit I had quite a time attempting to balance the skin tones in post. If anyone has a good solution to matching skin tones amongst a series of pictures, I would love love to hear it!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

love it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Danke ✌

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Thinking about cashing in all my RB67 stuff and grabbing a Bronica SQ and a couple lenses. It was nice for a while but I think I want something a little more portable. I think the only thing I might miss is the insanely close focus distance the integrated RB bellows give me. Any caveats?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

it's not a pentax 67

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

voodoorootbeer posted:

Thinking about cashing in all my RB67 stuff and grabbing a Bronica SQ and a couple lenses. It was nice for a while but I think I want something a little more portable. I think the only thing I might miss is the insanely close focus distance the integrated RB bellows give me. Any caveats?

I just picked up an SQ for cheap, it is a thoroughly OK camera. Nothing really exceptional about it though and you will almost definitely need to redo the light seals in the backs. I agree with AA that the Pentax 67 is nicer, I used to use one and apart from the weight it was fantastic(and it would still be lighter than an RB) I only got rid of it because it never got used when I got my mamiya 7.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

voodoorootbeer posted:

I don't shoot as much with mine since I got my GW690ii, but I do enjoy shooting with it, and it's pretty great value for money. I can fit three lenses and three backs plus a body in my small Domke bag fairly snugly.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

I dig that the P67 is the Dorkroom Darling but size and weight are my main motivations in ditching the RB67. I almost impulse bought that Fuji 6x7 rangefinder in the buy/sell thread several times but eventually concluded that it wasn't enough of a size difference to justify changing systems. Does the P67 have some advantage over the Bronica that I don't know about?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bronica is just a mediocre 6x6 camera. P67 isn't just a darling as a fad, it's a legitimately good camera system regardless of weight. If you have a plain prism (or even chimney hood) and no wooden grip (they're really not worth poo poo) it's legitimately a good, mechanically simple camera.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

voodoorootbeer posted:

I dig that the P67 is the Dorkroom Darling but size and weight are my main motivations in ditching the RB67. I almost impulse bought that Fuji 6x7 rangefinder in the buy/sell thread several times but eventually concluded that it wasn't enough of a size difference to justify changing systems. Does the P67 have some advantage over the Bronica that I don't know about?

I have a P67 and that fuji.

The size difference is a lot more than you might expect, and the pentax is significantly heavier. I can just toss the Fuji into my bag for a day of shooting and it isn't much heavier than bringing my F3 or my dslr rig, but the Pentax is a far larger and heavier system.

I like the pentax a lot. I would recommend it to everyone whose body can handle it.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

If you want a light 6x6 get a 500cm.
Small and light.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

I've got a Fuji and an RB67, that the max width/height/depth it's similar but it's only the lens that sticks out that makes it big, it's much easier to squeeze into a bag than the RB67 and it's incredibly light by comparison. Never used a P67 but it seemed heavier, costlier and more or less the same size as Fuji.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
6X6? Mamiya 6
6x7? Mamiya 7

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

voodoorootbeer posted:

This is where instead of answering your questions, all the dorkroomers come out of the woodwork and tell you that you should get their favorite camera, without any justifications or reasons.

Anyways, I shoot the SQ and used to own its smaller cousin the ETR, and here are my observations:

- Having interchangeable backs is a huge boon for me, since you can change film stocks on the fly (color vs BW, iso ratings etc), and it is nice to have dark slide locks, that prevent you from shooting with the slide in.
- Lens selection is very good, although probably not as good as the P67.
- WYSIWYG due to it not being a rangefinder. Easier to do macro and close up portraits in my opinion.
- Macro lenses and bellows are available for macro work, if thats your thing.
- You can get a fancy metered prism that basically turns your camera into aperture priority camera. Its got matrix and spot metering, and all the bells and whistles. Works with the auto bellows for macro. Unfortunately it is big and heavy, and makes the viewfinder smaller and slighly dimmer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

deaders posted:

6X6? Mamiya 6
6x7? Mamiya 7

GF670 for both if you have too much money.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Putrid Grin posted:

This is where instead of answering your questions, all the dorkroomers come out of the woodwork and tell you that you should get their favorite camera, without any justifications or reasons.

Are you suggesting people's camera choices are entirely out of preference with no regard to functionality? Seems like people coming out of the woodwork to tell you their favorite camera is exactly what you ask for when asking for camera suggestions.

quote:

- Having interchangeable backs is a huge boon for me, since you can change film stocks on the fly (color vs BW, iso ratings etc), and it is nice to have dark slide locks, that prevent you from shooting with the slide in.

like any system camera - 500c, rb/rz, etc.

quote:

- Lens selection is very good, although probably not as good as the P67.

unless you're planning on buying the entire system, lens selection is more important wrt the lenses you actually want to buy and use (how many of us are actually using every crazy telephoto for our chosen system?)

quote:

- WYSIWYG due to it not being a rangefinder. Easier to do macro and close up portraits in my opinion.

just like almost every medium format camera that isn't a rangefinder - p67, rz/rb, bronica, arguable for most TLRs as long as they have parallax correction (usually as vf lines - if you're looking to do straight macro work LF is likely a better idea anyways because of the ability to tilt)

quote:

- Macro lenses and bellows are available for macro work, if thats your thing.

what non-rangefinder system doesn't have macro lenses?

quote:

- You can get a fancy metered prism that basically turns your camera into aperture priority camera. Its got matrix and spot metering, and all the bells and whistles. Works with the auto bellows for macro. Unfortunately it is big and heavy, and makes the viewfinder smaller and slighly dimmer.

this isn't unique to the system at all - hasselblad, rz (prism AND chimney can be AE), pentax, mamiya 6

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 29, 2016

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I suggest the Polaroid 600SE. Best loving camera ever.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I almost bought a Bronica GS1, ended up with a Mamiya RZ67 instead, and now I have a Pentax 67. The only three advantages the RZ67 had were leaf shutter (I don't need flash sync), bellows (I don't shoot macro), and interchangeable backs (I almost always only shoot Portra). If any of those advantages apply to you, a system camera like the SQ makes sense, though Bronica parts aren't the easiest to come by, apparently. Otherwise, the Pentax 67 is a favorite around here for a reason.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
All this chat is making me think about selling my SQ system and trying out a Pentax67 setup.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

burzum karaoke posted:

GF670 for both if you have too much money.

This is the answer if weight is your concern.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
You should get a Koni Omega Rapid 100 because it has the coolest film transport/ shutter cocking system, a rangefinder, 3 cold shoes, and a dope handle that is actually useful unlike the dumb P67 one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnJZT-goAkE

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

Are you suggesting people's camera choices are entirely out of preference with no regard to functionality? Seems like people coming out of the woodwork to tell you their favorite camera is exactly what you ask for when asking for camera suggestions.

The guy asked if there are any caveats to getting the SQ, you replied with "get a P67".
Note how he didnt ask what camera he should get.

quote:

like any system camera - 500c, rb/rz, etc.

Not every camera is a system camera, and not all of them have things like dark slide lock out.

quote:

unless you're planning on buying the entire system, lens selection is more important wrt the lenses you actually want to buy and use (how many of us are actually using every crazy telephoto for our chosen system?)

Having options is not a bad thing, if you are buying into a system, and your needs grow and change with time.

quote:

just like almost every medium format camera that isn't a rangefinder - p67, rz/rb, bronica, arguable for most TLRs as long as they have parallax correction (usually as vf lines - if you're looking to do straight macro work LF is likely a better idea anyways because of the ability to tilt)

what non-rangefinder system doesn't have macro lenses?

Don't see why you are claiming that this is a conversation limited to mirrored cameras. A lot of people here advise that he buys a rangefinder.

quote:

this isn't unique to the system at all - hasselblad, rz (prism AND chimney can be AE), pentax, mamiya 6
Never said it was unique. Listed it as a desirable features that many cameras lack.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

8th-snype posted:

You should get a Koni Omega Rapid 100 because it has the coolest film transport/ shutter cocking system, a rangefinder, 3 cold shoes, and a dope handle that is actually useful unlike the dumb P67 one.

They're also cheap and work really well as a bludgeon.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

8th-snype posted:

I don't have one but thirding this as it's the hottest medium format camera ever made...

Editing for a question:

You guys turned me off the RB67 as honestly, I don't feel like carrying quilos of camera around anymore. What's the opinion on old mamiya six? There's one locally for a good price... What should I look for, or are those too much of a gamble today?

The ad is in portuguese, but I'll link for the pics...
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-710384655-cmera-mamiya-6-_JM

Primo Itch fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 30, 2016

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
No, that's the old Mamiya 6. That one is 1940-1960.

There's a newer Mamiya 6 made in 1989-1999, that shoots 6x6, retractable lens (ish), and it's closer to $1200. It's also unrepairable if it breaks.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Wild EEPROM posted:

No, that's the old Mamiya 6. That one is 1940-1960.

There's a newer Mamiya 6 made in 1989-1999, that shoots 6x6, retractable lens (ish), and it's closer to $1200. It's also unrepairable if it breaks.

Yeah I realized that and edited my post acordingly, probably as you were making yours, sorry...

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Quit complaining.

The best I can do is this

At least it is lighter than an RB67, and it is 6x9.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I just use a Yashica-mat and zoom with my feet :downs:

It was cheap. TLRs look cool as poo poo too.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just use a Yashica-mat and zoom with my feet :downs:

It was cheap. TLRs look cool as poo poo too.

I keep looking at the approximately 8 billion Lubitels at the local flea market and wondering if today is the day I can be bothered to go through them all to find the one that works.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Putrid Grin posted:

The guy asked if there are any caveats to getting the SQ, you replied with "get a P67".
Note how he didnt ask what camera he should get.

Not every camera is a system camera, and not all of them have things like dark slide lock out.

Having options is not a bad thing, if you are buying into a system, and your needs grow and change with time.

Don't see why you are claiming that this is a conversation limited to mirrored cameras. A lot of people here advise that he buys a rangefinder.

Never said it was unique. Listed it as a desirable features that many cameras lack.

When someone on a car forum asks for people's thoughts on buying a Kia it's OK to suggest maybe they consider a Honda as well. None of your arguments re: the SQ are unique to the camera or really even things the SQ does better than the RB67 instead of weight. If weight is the primary factor in purchasing you should probably consider usability or just shooting digital instead.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

When someone on a car forum asks for people's thoughts on buying a Kia it's OK to suggest maybe they consider a Honda as well. None of your arguments re: the SQ are unique to the camera or really even things the SQ does better than the RB67 instead of weight. If weight is the primary factor in purchasing you should probably consider usability or just shooting digital instead.

If someone is looking at KIA and you think that a Honda would be a great alternative (even though he wasn't asking for alternatives), just yelling "get a Honda!" is not gonna add much to the conversation. It just makes you look like a rabid fanboy, what is more interested in pushing his opinion, rather than explaining his position on the camera. Even though you seem to have plenty of time to argue me.
He was looking at an SQ, I use one and told him what I liked about it. Dont see what is so controversial about it.

And telling someone to shoot digital since he is looking for a lightweight film camera is just asinine.

Anyways, this whole conversation is stupid.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Putrid Grin posted:

If someone is looking at KIA and you think that a Honda would be a great alternative (even though he wasn't asking for alternatives), just yelling "get a Honda!" is not gonna add much to the conversation. It just makes you look like a rabid fanboy, what is more interested in pushing his opinion, rather than explaining his position on the camera. Even though you seem to have plenty of time to argue me.
He was looking at an SQ, I use one and told him what I liked about it. Dont see what is so controversial about it.

And telling someone to shoot digital since he is looking for a lightweight film camera is just asinine.

Anyways, this whole conversation is stupid.

no kidding, why the hell would anyone buy a bronica when you could get a p67 instead

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

no kidding, why the hell would anyone buy a bronica

ftfy

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I'd love to buy a Bronica...RF645 but they are kind of expensive for an inferior format.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Now you jackasses have me looking at a 500 C/M because I like interchangeable backs and occasionally use flash. I thought Hasselblad stuff was way more expensive than Bronica rather than a little more expensive so I hadn't really even considered it. Mamiya 6/7 are way out of my price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

voodoorootbeer posted:

Now you jackasses have me looking at a 500 C/M because I like interchangeable backs and occasionally use flash. I thought Hasselblad stuff was way more expensive than Bronica rather than a little more expensive so I hadn't really even considered it. Mamiya 6/7 are way out of my price range.

The hasselblad is an amazing machine and a super good choice, unless you want to buy lots of lenses then whelp. I don't want to beat a dead horse but if a Mamiya is out of your price range and you hate mirrors like I do:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Rapid-Omega-200-Camera-w-Lens-2-Film-Backs-/111973423514?hash=item1a1222d99a:g:C1oAAOSw~OVWxg1n

• Locked thread