Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Valsu posted:

How is the entire group just ignoring how loving crazy Lovepon is? She's clearly the most problematic and needs to go.

Being predisposed against other people she also is against and thus ignoring her insanity because she's on "their side"?

I dunno, though, given that they locked Jack up for trying to kill Judgness, after what she's been doing they should be turning on her as well.

Anyway, huh. Lion, you're still one of my favorites in this, but is "I see dead people" really the best lie you could come up with? I mean, it worked, but, still.

Also Mitsumune's still a dumbass and a creep and Lion's probably right about him actually being the most dangerous/crazy one there. The tour guide's kind of a loser too but it's hilarious to see him continuously get beaten by Valkana without the latter even trying.

And then there was... That. That was quite odd, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh my god, it's that thing!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The thing at the end was half the penguin doll from Mitsumine's flashback and half the top of someone's head

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I kind of like Lion pointing out Mitsumune's façade; throughout the series so far he's behaved a lot like the standard protagonist in this kind of genre (blandly agreeable and always coming to everyone's defense), but in a really hollow way that comes off as creepy and insincere. It ends up making his characterization feel like it was much more intentional on the part of the director. He's both bog-standard and "off" at the same time.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
^^^ It's a good point. I'm so used to anime protags having bland lovely personalities, I didn't even think about it. It's nice to see a show call that out for what it is.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 30, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Mafia Thread: the anime episode.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

The Devil Tesla posted:

It was a literal combination of everything they hinted at about the monster, it was cool! The rest of episode also hinted at stuff that I thought they were going to be more coy about, like what Masaki's deal is. There's also stuff like how the glasses guy's plan got entirely away from him, lovepon somehow getting worse, the cool scene where the core leaders got caught straight up lying. Good poo poo.

What were they lying about exactly? Kinda watched it while sleepy and out of it so i probably wasn't paying too much attention and missed that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I love how these weird assholes' gimmicks and eccentricities bounce off each other in a way that makes them almost behave like rational human beings after a while.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Mari Okada has a tendency of writing characters that can not or will not communicate with one another properly, and she just took this to its logical conclusion.

I hope everyone dies

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
"Oh gently caress a fire, help me carry this guy out."

"No that's too hard, let's cut the ropes and leg it."

*cuts one. single. rope*

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phobophilia posted:

Mari Okada has a tendency of writing characters that can not or will not communicate with one another properly, and she just took this to its logical conclusion.

I hope everyone dies

Hey, they had a very productive conversation about Judgness's name. They concluded that he's an rear end, among other things. "Assbound Catacomb".

Also I briefly forgot that Lovepon actually outright tried to kill Mitsumune. Someone should bring that back up because if it's enough to get Jack locked up she shouldn't be out running around either.

Tangent, it's hilarious that, after freaking out about how he can't trust anyone and might get killed in his sleep by one of them, he teamed up with Lovepon and the two weapon nuts. Seriously, Mikage, Lovepon is constantly talking about killing people, she should be the last person you invite to join you. Then again, given his ranting this episode he's probably pretty dangerous himself.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 30, 2016

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the plan is that lovepon and the survivalists are too occupied murdering everyone else but him

i was actually expecting mikage getting murdered when sleeping alone, and mitsumune to take the fall for it. instead, mikage jumped the gun

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lovepon is best girl.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Lovepon is a walking parody of those girls from When They Cry and it is loving glorious.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
seriously Lovepon is a Higurashi character right down to the facial shading and sadism, it's perfect

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Also Mitsumune never quite explained why he was following the women back to their quarters

Also he ate that "candy" as well, which I suspect was a drug they meant to disable him with. Maybe he's just tripping out right now and hallucinating that monster?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gyra_Solune posted:

What were they lying about exactly? Kinda watched it while sleepy and out of it so i probably wasn't paying too much attention and missed that.

That the bus driver sees his dead daughter. They're called out on it and basically said they lied for the good of everyone, which is probably gonna gently caress em over at some point.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

Also he ate that "candy" as well, which I suspect was a drug they meant to disable him with. Maybe he's just tripping out right now and hallucinating that monster?

I think it was the survivalists who knocked him out, not the candy. The candy just made him being manipulated by the girls funnier.

"Wow I talked to so many girls today!"

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

Also Mitsumune never quite explained why he was following the women back to their quarters

I won't rule anything out, but in context, Masaki was the last one in the group, and he was already starting to turn around after he'd watched them disappear beyond the wall but before being surprised by Hayato, so he might have just felt he was "walking her home," so to speak? Maybe he was hoping to get a chance to speak to her again? It's not like Mitsumune seems self-conscious of how that might be interpreted by others.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Devil Tesla posted:

That the bus driver sees his dead daughter. They're called out on it and basically said they lied for the good of everyone, which is probably gonna gently caress em over at some point.

A proper response would have been "we were busy discussing your return and Jack's escape, talking about what the driver saw would have been a distraction. And the driver could have been mistaken." Instead, they let some rear end in a top hat try to polarise everyone into factions even harder.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I still think Masaki is killing people one by one.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

should have killed a yuuna this episode imo

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Davincie posted:

should have killed a yuuna this episode imo

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
This show is unbelievable. I'm still not entirely sure whether or not the humor in it is on purpose. It seems almost too consistently funny and baffling to be anything but an intentional parody of campy horror movies, but it plays its madness so straight that it still leaves me with a tiny shred of possibility that this is actually meant to be sincere. Which is really just perfect.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Puuko is quickly becoming my favorite character. She doesn't do anything or contribute to conversation in any meaningful way, just offer little snide one-liners to increase the group's tension when there's a lull in conversation.

Also, this is starting to remind me of Seitokai no Ichizon more than anything.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

esselfortium posted:

This show is unbelievable. I'm still not entirely sure whether or not the humor in it is on purpose. It seems almost too consistently funny and baffling to be anything but an intentional parody of campy horror movies, but it plays its madness so straight that it still leaves me with a tiny shred of possibility that this is actually meant to be sincere. Which is really just perfect.

C'mon it references Higurashi in this way:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its obviously on purpose. they had a 5 minute conversation where they concluded a missing person was named icebound rear end

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm pretty sure it was Catacomb rear end

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only way to escape from the village is gonna be to venture into the Icebound rear end Catacomb

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Davincie posted:

its obviously on purpose. they had a 5 minute conversation where they concluded a missing person was named icebound rear end

Okay, yeah, that's fair. Anyway, this show is great and I want more of it already.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
The Most Powerful Power Rankings

Best Characters
  • Valkana
Worst Characters
  • Everyone else

I actually find myself kinda liking Speedstar (I was convinced he wasn't real, and was instead some Tyler Durden externalized personality that Mitsumune created, RIP that theory) even if he comes across as controlling; Mitsumune really is kind of a dope. It strikes me as less that Mitsumune is "off" or creepy (I honestly don't know why everyone is leaping to MITSUMUNE IS A CREEP seems kinda aggressive) and more that Mitsumune is the protagonist from a completely separate show. He'd fit right in if this were anything other than a horror parody anime, but instead both the other characters and the audience assume there is something seriously wrong with him when he's instead just Anime Guy in a setting where Icebound rear end and Lovepon are somehow considered "normal."

Lion is annoying, not sure why people like her; she doesn't really have any solid jokes so far and is just generally an irritant.

Lovepon's shtick has worn thin and I'm now actively rooting for her to be dead within the next two episodes or so.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

The Most Powerful Power Rankings

Best Characters
  • Valkana
Worst Characters
  • Everyone else

I actually find myself kinda liking Speedstar (I was convinced he wasn't real, and was instead some Tyler Durden externalized personality that Mitsumune created, RIP that theory) even if he comes across as controlling; Mitsumune really is kind of a dope. It strikes me as less that Mitsumune is "off" or creepy (I honestly don't know why everyone is leaping to MITSUMUNE IS A CREEP seems kinda aggressive) and more that Mitsumune is the protagonist from a completely separate show. He'd fit right in if this were anything other than a horror parody anime, but instead both the other characters and the audience assume there is something seriously wrong with him when he's instead just Anime Guy in a setting where Icebound rear end and Lovepon are somehow considered "normal."

Lion is annoying, not sure why people like her; she doesn't really have any solid jokes so far and is just generally an irritant.

Lovepon's shtick has worn thin and I'm now actively rooting for her to be dead within the next two episodes or so.

Mitsumune's creepy because (apart from a number of other things, like whatever the gently caress is up with his backstory) he's got that one-track mind regarding girls. Like, even if a woman is trying to kill him, he'll just think about how her boobs look nice. Pretty much all of the cast are anime archetypes taken to an amusingly/alarmingly grotesque extreme, and he's the Harem Anime Protagonist Guy - passive, relentlessly friendly, and obsessed with sex in even the strangest circumstances. Falling on a girl and wigging out because OH MY GOD BOOB in the middle of some huge, flashy, terrifying action sequence isn't normal, and neither is being all smiley and friendly to people who are trying to murder you, and this show is happily ripping the poo poo out of that.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Darth Walrus posted:

Mitsumune's creepy because (apart from a number of other things, like whatever the gently caress is up with his backstory) he's got that one-track mind regarding girls. Like, even if a woman is trying to kill him, he'll just think about how her boobs look nice. Pretty much all of the cast are anime archetypes taken to an amusingly/alarmingly grotesque extreme, and he's the Harem Anime Protagonist Guy - passive, relentlessly friendly, and obsessed with sex in even the strangest circumstances. Falling on a girl and wigging out because OH MY GOD BOOB in the middle of some huge, flashy, terrifying action sequence isn't normal, and neither is being all smiley and friendly to people who are trying to murder you, and this show is happily ripping the poo poo out of that.

I agree with most of this, except I think that Mitsumune is less being creepy (or creepier than your average shounen harem protagonist) and more is incapable of figuring out he's in the wrong anime yet. At no point does anyone, Mitsumune included, take Lovepon's attempted murder of him seriously, so it's hard to take it seriously as the audience, which makes the entire scene basically just a farce.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
only the three of them know that lovepon ever tried to murder mitsumune

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

I agree with most of this, except I think that Mitsumune is less being creepy (or creepier than your average shounen harem protagonist) and more is incapable of figuring out he's in the wrong anime yet. At no point does anyone, Mitsumune included, take Lovepon's attempted murder of him seriously, so it's hard to take it seriously as the audience, which makes the entire scene basically just a farce.

Well, yeah, Mayoiga is a comedy, but I think it's reasonable to call characters creepy when their creepiness is the joke. Like with, yes, Lovepon. Mitsumune hasn't gone for anyone's fingernails yet, but things like the way he didn't rule out that he was stalking the girls to their dorm do not paint an encouraging picture. Also, the head behind that giant bird mask did look somewhat feminine, which suggests an even more alarming relationship with a woman in his past.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Lovepon gets better and better imo. Next episode she will succesfully murder one person and torture another and everyone will just shrug it off.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Next ep she will finally execute Mitsumune and ascend to true main character status, like she deserves.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Dragonatrix posted:

Next ep she will finally execute Mitsumune and ascend to true main character status, like she deserves.

truly the darkest timeline

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

guts and bolts posted:

I honestly don't know why everyone is leaping to MITSUMUNE IS A CREEP seems kinda aggressive

I usually think this about anime protags, this time everyone just agrees with me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/pancakeparadox/status/726383027002216448

• Locked thread