Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

kingturnip posted:

I've actually seen a guy at my local newsagent buying the Express, The Sun and The Mail all on the same day.
No word on whether he bought a hosepipe for his car at the same time.

Were they out of arse wipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
ive slept in the cpgb-ml offices while i was in birmingham. it was 2014 i believe and they were being renovated. we didn't have a shower or kitchen. we washed at a comrade's house about 2 kilometers from the office. we ate a lot of curry from the indian place across the street. there was an office room with portraits of lenin and stalin that i took squat pictures with.

one friend split with 'em after working for htem because he went full maoist. is now studying chinese after having finished his economics degree or something like that. another went off the lacanian deep end and is an excellent resource for that stuff. i broke my mostly theatrical ties with the cpgb-ml because i became strasserite. friend 3 and i are both interning at law firms lol

birmingham was such a desolate loving wasteland. i've never seen a cityscape that inspired so much hopelessness. i didn't think there were crumbling buildings to be found in any western european metropolitan center but i was wrong. the strange black man hopped up on cocaine slamming mince pies was excellent. we went to the black country and i was in this town with a huge anchor in the middle of it. even there everyone looked downtrodden. the lights were on but nobody was home so to speak.

this year we're meeting in the netherlands. prob go down to vienna as well if i get some free time this summer

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is there another ideology called Strasserism I haven't heard of or are you a literal Nazi?

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
I'm here to support the anti-semitic wing of Corbyn's Labor, which is why I'm posteing so anti-semitically & in favor of Nazi policy.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

ive slept in the cpgb-ml offices while i was in birmingham. it was 2014 i believe and they were being renovated. we didn't have a shower or kitchen. we washed at a comrade's house about 2 kilometers from the office. we ate a lot of curry from the indian place across the street. there was an office room with portraits of lenin and stalin that i took squat pictures with.

one friend split with 'em after working for htem because he went full maoist. is now studying chinese after having finished his economics degree or something like that. another went off the lacanian deep end and is an excellent resource for that stuff. i broke my mostly theatrical ties with the cpgb-ml because i became strasserite. friend 3 and i are both interning at law firms lol

Uh, isn't Strasserism basically anti-capitalist Nazism?
Edit: beaten like a Strasser brother.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

EvilGenius posted:

Were they out of arse wipe?

Or could've been for a kids project. I've sent my kid to the shop to get a paper for paper mache/he has homework to cut out articles about something in particular a few times. It usually goes "right, pop to the shop and get the cheapest paper....but not the mail.....or the sun....or the express...bugger it just get the guardian".

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
good god man

what's with all the nazis

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

quote:

Universal Jobmatch seems like a smart response to the digital age. It can monitor online activity to make sure people are actively hunting for work.

Universal Jobmatch is loving useless at monitoring online job hunting activity.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I was on the dole from September to December last year and they made me do it, completely loving useless. I made a throwaway email account called ujmdoesntwork for it and the geezer at the jobcentre either didn't notice or care, didn't notice i think, he was a nice chap but not to technically savvy.

e: vv yep vv

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dead Goon posted:

Universal Jobmatch is loving useless at monitoring online job hunting activity.

Is that the one that only works on the job center website which is garbage useless since almost all jobs are listed on agency websites now?

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
it sounds like much the same thing that the right wing government installed here to combat (among other things) benefits fraud. but i'd be surprised if the overhead hasn't already exceeded the costs of any real benefit fraud.

it is a disciplinary measure meant to punish workers by makign them carry the burden of the financial class's responsibility.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Is that the one that only works on the job center website which is garbage useless since almost all jobs are listed on agency websites now?

Yep

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

serious gaylord posted:

Already been answered, but yes.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Its on a level of bad similar to craigslist ads only you have to look at it.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Luckily I have managed to find a job which I start on Wednesday so I don't have to look at Universal Jobmatch anymore.

Ironically enough, this job was actually through Jobmatch and all my activity was monitored and recorded for my Work Coach to see :downs:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Seaside Loafer posted:

Its on a level of bad similar to craigslist ads only you have to look at it.

I once found a job called 'topless online sales' on it which was good for a laff in the job centre when I flagged it up.

I didn't get past the phone interview :sigh:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Baron Corbyn posted:

Is there another ideology called Strasserism I haven't heard of or are you a literal Nazi?

I thought we had an unwritten, unstated agreement to just not respond to this idiot's obvious trolling, every post he'd made had got not response until now & I felt very impressed with UKMT's unusual restraint.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 2, 2016

Isaac0105
Dec 9, 2015

cpgb-mls

communist party great britain - marxist-leninist-strasserist

possible goon project?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

I once found a job called 'topless online sales' on it which was good for a laff in the job centre when I flagged it up.

I didn't get past the phone interview :sigh:

surprised you didn't get sanctioned for laughing in the job centre.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:siren: tipchat in the news :siren:

Restaurant staff 'should keep their tips'

quote:

Waiting staff should receive their tips in full and it should be clearer to customers that gratuities are optional, the business secretary has said.

Sajid Javid said tips had to "go to the people you intended it to go to" and announced proposals to stop or limit employer deductions from them.

[...]

Unite said it was a "victory" for staff but, laws should be introduced.

Currently, there is no legal requirement for firms to hand over gratuities to their waiting staff.

[...]

"Too many people were finding that when they were leaving tips for hardworking people they weren't actually going to those people. And that's unacceptable," Mr Javid told the BBC.

"It's got to go to the people you intended it to go to, it's got to be a transparent process, it's also got to be voluntary for good service."

The proposals include:
* making it clearer for customers that tips are optional
* preventing or limiting any employer deduction from tips except for those required under tax law
* and updating the existing voluntary code of practice from the government and putting it on a statutory footing to increase employer compliance

[...]

Unite had been campaigning for action after complaining that some firms were counting tips as part of a worker's pay.

Dave Turnbull, Unite's officer for the hospitality sector said it would need the support of the law to make any change effective.

[...]

But he said the proposals were a "massive victory for all those waiting staff who have worked tirelessly to expose sharp practices in the hospitality industry".

[...]

The British Hospitality Association (BHA), which represents more than 40,000 establishments in the UK, said it will meet with hospitality business leaders across the UK and conduct its own impact assessment. :jerkbag:

[...]

Food critic Jay Rayner told the BBC that the system of service charges and tipping "has outlived its usefulness".

"It's a bizarre system that we have and it only applies in restaurants, pretty much.

"I wrote a piece recently in which I basically have called for the end of all service charges and tipping but - and this is absolutely key - with a rise in the basic wage that all waiters get because obviously tips are regarded as important to top up people's salaries."

The consultation period runs until 27 June 2016.

Is the government doing an unambiguously good thing for workers? There must be some catch here but I'm not seeing it (apart from the obvious potential of "say a thing, do nothing")

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Hah I remember having to use universal jobmatch when I was on the dole. It was hilariously bad. They made such a big deal of it being so important to record everything for them to monitor but I'd just pick three random jobs from the list every day and make a note saying i'd applied for them regardless of what I'd actually done. Afaik no one ever checks beyond a superficial glance. The whole system is just the definition of pointless hoop jumping on both sides and tbh that really comes across sometimes - most of my advisors just signed me off without even bothering to look or ask. Must actually be the worst working in a jobcentre. That said a friend was signing on down in the south east and he said they were total shits, but I don't really know how they'd see through outright lies on the website.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
are these megatherads wracking people's brains with fascist anxiety or is pissflaps actualyl managing to agitate people with the concernposter adaptation of 'im a strasserite'.

like how can 'corbyn is an anti semite and im workeing class' be contentious for pages but 'im a strasserite' is Fly Away Troll material. lol

Isaac0105
Dec 9, 2015

Pissflaps posted:

It's not exactly working out with him in charge.

real talk - the only way to save the labor party from spiraling into the storm drain of history is to install george galloway as its leader

either that or corbyn cuts away the dead weight blairites from labour like the cancerous parasites that they are. then they can go and start their own "dislikable dickheads" splinter party, and compete with the lib dems in the "most spineless tory coalition fillers in british politics" race.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

ThomasPaine posted:

Hah I remember having to use universal jobmatch when I was on the dole. It was hilariously bad. They made such a big deal of it being so important to record everything for them to monitor but I'd just pick three random jobs from the list every day and make a note saying i'd applied for them regardless of what I'd actually done. Afaik no one ever checks beyond a superficial glance. The whole system is just the definition of pointless hoop jumping on both sides and tbh that really comes across sometimes - most of my advisors just signed me off without even bothering to look or ask. Must actually be the worst working in a jobcentre. That said a friend was signing on down in the south east and he said they were total shits, but I don't really know how they'd see through outright lies on the website.

When I was on the dole, it was pretty much a coinflip on who you'd get and who'd sanction you.

Like, sometimes I'd go in without having done anything at all for the week and get away with it, sometimes I'll have applied for more than the quota, and have pages of printed out emails and still get sanctioned.

When I 'volunteered' at the local jobcentre, I saw how easy it is. To work there, you just have to literally not care about other people and find their suffering funny.

I got tons of helpful tips though. Did you know, for example, that if the 'customer's English is crap, you can just sanction them and it's fine. They won't know you're taking their money away until after their pay-date, and at that point they can't appeal. You get your bonus and there's nothing they can do! It's win-win!

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Saith posted:

When I was on the dole, it was pretty much a coinflip on who you'd get and who'd sanction you.

Like, sometimes I'd go in without having done anything at all for the week and get away with it, sometimes I'll have applied for more than the quota, and have pages of printed out emails and still get sanctioned.

When I 'volunteered' at the local jobcentre, I saw how easy it is. To work there, you just have to literally not care about other people and find their suffering funny.

I got tons of helpful tips though. Did you know, for example, that if the 'customer's English is crap, you can just sanction them and it's fine. They won't know you're taking their money away until after their pay-date, and at that point they can't appeal. You get your bonus and there's nothing they can do! It's win-win!

Should have written poo poo down and got in touch with some journalists. They love getting up in the DWP's poo poo

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Clear proof that the British public shouldn't be given a say on important issues

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/727070641787129856

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

FinalGamer posted:

So, I get Zac Goldsmith is a racist prick from the golden gated community or something, but what's the non-racist reasons for people not liking Sadiq Khan because I'm rather confused about some things in this London dickwaving contest.

Khan is basically a non-blairite Blairite. He's pro-cuts to government services and spouts tosh about keepin' r females safe in his campaign crud. He also says he's pro-nationalisation, but my local Labour option for the assembly is a senior manager in southeastern, so er, I'm guessing his nationalisation means 'endless PFI'.

Basically the least poo poo candidates are Caroline Pidgeon, but gently caress Lib Dems forever and realistically they will not ever get elected while south london remembers Simon Hughes. Or Sophie Walker who is not poo poo, but a one platform thing, so never gonna happen like the greens.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I just hope that cameron holds election results to the same rigourous standards he holds union strike votes to.

Ha ha, jk, this country is hosed.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

peanut- posted:

Clear proof that the British public shouldn't be given a say on important issues

The Euro vision Song contest banned the Palestinian flag from its festivals.

alexmac
Jun 4, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Years ago when I was on the dole, I remember one signing on supervisor flat out told me the only reason he was working there was to do his minimum 3 months so he could quit and go back on the dole without getting it taken away.

They also straight up cancelled my dole money after I missed a signing on appointment because I went to a job fair, which I had called in advance and cleared with them. It took me 4 weeks of phoning people to get it restarted. Then I had to make a retrospective claim for that 4 week period, and they hosed it up and paid me for the 4 weeks they missed, plus for the whole of the time before that right back to when I had started claiming. I phoned to ask them if they wanted the money back for the part they'd paid me double and the lady on the phone just told me to keep it. It's run by people who don't give a poo poo and/or are terrible human beings.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

peanut- posted:

The correct choice won for once though?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Lord of the Llamas posted:

The correct choice won for once though?

There's a nazi on this page and you somehow managed to post the worst opinion

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

peanut- posted:

Pretty sure Tories in power was already proof of that.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Total Meatlove posted:

There's a nazi on this page and you somehow managed to post the worst opinion

That I don't give a poo poo about Eurovision and therefore wouldn't vote in a referendum on it?

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Oberleutnant posted:

Should have written poo poo down and got in touch with some journalists. They love getting up in the DWP's poo poo

Yeah I know, but I was young and stupid. Now I'm slightly less young and also maybe slightly less stupid.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

TinTower posted:

So, while everyone's talking about how much Jeremy Corbyn loves or hates the Jews, the Tories are planning on banning Strictly and Doctor Who from being shown on Saturday nights in the BBC Charter.

Of course, this will totally not cripple the BBC's creative output by putting their most popular shows on in the graveyard slots.

Speaking of Good poo poo on the BBC has anyone been watching Undercover? Holy poo poo it s great and brutal and uncomfortable.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

thespaceinvader posted:

Speaking of Good poo poo on the BBC has anyone been watching Undercover? Holy poo poo it s great and brutal and uncomfortable.

One of the victims did a piece about how it made Secret Squirrel Plod too sympathetic and conflicted.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

:siren: tipchat in the news :siren:

Restaurant staff 'should keep their tips'

Is the government doing an unambiguously good thing for workers? There must be some catch here but I'm not seeing it (apart from the obvious potential of "say a thing, do nothing")

the catch is pretty straightforward, it is coded in the words "it should be clearer to customers that gratuities are optional"; are you really surprised that Tories entirely endorse the idea of customers dangling the possibility of a tip to prompt servility good service? it's Consumer Sovereignty, natch.

my guess is that they're also going to bring down the hammer on schemes to redistribute tips to kitchen staff

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Gerry Adams running riot on twitter again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

ronya posted:

my guess is that they're also going to bring down the hammer on schemes to redistribute tips to kitchen staff

As soon as I read:

quote:

"Too many people were finding that when they were leaving tips for hardworking people they weren't actually going to those people. And that's unacceptable"

this was what I thought as well. If this was accompanied with an increase in the minimum wage for the catering industry, it'd be ok.

• Locked thread