Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
We probably figured it wasn't a joke because you're the sole goon to repeatedly back every single KS that panders hard to 90s PC gaming nostalgia.

Devs who read this thread and see you post get huge dollar signs in their eyes a mile wide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mr Underhill posted:

You've never said "I bet my life savings x is going to happen", and when it didn't happen, you didn't pony up? It might be a cultural thing, but around here we say that quite a lot and don't actually act on it. It's something you say when you're convinced something's gonna happen.

I wouldn't make an internet post about it if it was meant as a throwaway facetious comment, no. Maybe it is a cultural thing but

Noyemi K posted:

We probably figured it wasn't a joke because you're the sole goon to repeatedly back every single KS that panders hard to 90s PC gaming nostalgia.

Devs who read this thread and see you post get huge dollar signs in their eyes a mile wide.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Oh wow. Well, I do back a lot, but I doubt I'd ever reach Evilmiera levels, first on account of my paycheck being what it is, and second, I don't ever recall actually making a legit bet in the last 20 years. On the other hand, I am very tired and I've been working 10 to 14 hours a day, so my posting game might be somewhat lacking. But hey, point is, don't worry about me, I might be an idiot but I'm not that big of an idiot, and certainly not a gambling one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I wonder if it cancelled, despite being on course to make its goal, because Mr. Romero was lowballing. I wasn't really paying attention to it though, so I dunno.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wonder if it cancelled, despite being on course to make its goal, because Mr. Romero was lowballing. I wasn't really paying attention to it though, so I dunno.

I think they did mention that investors were lined up, and anyway I'm convinced they weren't making an fps on $700k. They probably expected to be way overfunded, hence the cancelling once the initial surge died down.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

They were on pace to make the target pretty comfortably even without showing gameplay. Its an interesting move.

They weren't at all on pace to make the target. Most kickstarters bring in the majority of their funding in the first and last 4-5 days. BLACKROOM had brought in 18% in their first 4 days -- and only $7000 on day 4!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Mr Underhill posted:

Oh wow. Well, I do back a lot, but I doubt I'd ever reach Evilmiera levels, first on account of my paycheck being what it is, and second, I don't ever recall actually making a legit bet in the last 20 years. On the other hand, I am very tired and I've been working 10 to 14 hours a day, so my posting game might be somewhat lacking. But hey, point is, don't worry about me, I might be an idiot but I'm not that big of an idiot, and certainly not a gambling one.

Give your colleague the money which you promised him.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Give your colleague the money which you promised him.

:( Okay.

Christian Knudsen
Oct 13, 2012

You'll have to start another kickstarter to pay off your gambling debt!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Add a stretch goal to pay the dude a month of your salary

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Christian Knudsen posted:

You'll have to start another kickstarter to pay off your gambling debt!

Sounds more like a Go Fund Me.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Christian Knudsen posted:

They weren't at all on pace to make the target. Most kickstarters bring in the majority of their funding in the first and last 4-5 days. BLACKROOM had brought in 18% in their first 4 days -- and only $7000 on day 4!

Yeah, pretty much. They wouldn't have made it.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Haha. Oh you guys, these last messages really brightened up an otherwise lovely day. Almost forgot I was called an idiot. Have a nice week-end you goons.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh hey Paradise Lost sent me another update! It's just more stuff about how they make the graphics on a game whose programmer they lost over a year ago.

I dunno why they keep pretending they have a game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Double post.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh hey Paradise Lost sent me another update! It's just more stuff about how they make the graphics on a game whose programmer they lost over a year ago.

I dunno why they keep pretending they have a game.

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if that might be my first KS wash.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Didn't the programmer that left also take the entire game they had so far with him or something?

I've written off Paradise Lost honestly. It was a cheap basic tier, so I didn't lose out that much and if it does come out - hey it could be neat.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

DatonKallandor posted:

Didn't the programmer that left also take the entire game they had so far with him or something?

I've written off Paradise Lost honestly. It was a cheap basic tier, so I didn't lose out that much and if it does come out - hey it could be neat.

Videogame programmers are usually such bad programmers that even if they had his code base, it would be better for a new programmer to rewrite 6 months of work than to try and find the logic of the previous programmers labyrinthine, probably uncommented code.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Count Uvula posted:

programmers are usually such bad programmers that even if they had his code base, it would be better for a new programmer to rewrite 6 months of work than to try and find the logic of the previous programmers labyrinthine, probably uncommented code.

this seems very accurate even with "videogame" removed. You could place anything else there and it'll still be true.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Noyemi K posted:

this seems very accurate even with "videogame" removed. You could place anything else there and it'll still be true.

I think it's even a bit more with games, although not because the programmers are worse. Games take a ton of iteration before they become fun, which means that if you spend a lot of time Doing It Right The First Time from a code perspective the odds are good you're just going to have to tear it apart again a few weeks later once the game's design changes. You tell yourself that this is all just a prototype, and that you'll start over from scratch doing it the correct way, but if you're a small indie studio (especially if you're the only programmer) your game probably just isn't going to get so big that it becomes unmanageable even with an ugly foundation. And it works, most of the time.

Unless, say, the programmer quits. Then things can get real bad real fast.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Noyemi K posted:

Yup, especially on one-man projects. Not having anyone else need to work with your code means it's usually full of stuff that makes sense to you and only you.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

quote:

programmers are usually such bad programmers that even if they had his code base, it would be better for a new programmer to rewrite 6 months of work than to try and find the logic of the previous programmers labyrinthine, probably uncommented code.

funny enough that also applies to translating, which is one reason why some localizations take a million years. Not necessarily that everyone is bad but it's almost always easier to scrap a dubious translation than fix it

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Holy crap, I thought I was seeing more and more video games crop up on KS, so I counted them - 137 new campaigns since April 5th. A lot of them going nowhere, but still.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Noyemi K posted:

Please don't nostalgia shame.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mr Underhill posted:

Holy crap, I thought I was seeing more and more video games crop up on KS, so I counted them - 137 new campaigns since April 5th. A lot of them going nowhere, but still.

Grats getting funded mate, I just got the email ;)

One question though, I was thinking of doing the cartoonise thing but with one of my cats rather than me. Can your artist deal with a cat or is it people only?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I have a kickstarter. I'm making a roguelike in space!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/daveycakes/omicron-sector

Mr Underhill posted:

I kind of wonder if people getting bitten by massive early access failures is why. Don't remember if it had a Kickstarter or not but Towns just kind of ended development, we all know about Starbound, and Star Citizen is doing it's thing. It's kind of a tragedy, really; games can't happen without funding but making games is also really, really hard.

Then other times something like 7 Days to Die comes out. It isn't perfect but it's a fun thing if you want to just mash on zombie heads for a while.

A ton of people are dreaming about being cool indie devs without realizing how hard it is to make software of any type. That and people who want to work on the cool parts while neglecting the stuff that makes a game functional. I've actually talked to a fair number of people who are all like "I want to make a game!" and really have zero idea how much uncool, boring stuff that involves. Sorry duder, you're going to need to spend a lot of time making the UI. That is neither fast nor glamorous.

It's also a place where ideas guys tend to show up.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Wait, what about Starbound? I hadn't heard anything bad happening with it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

senrath posted:

Wait, what about Starbound? I hadn't heard anything bad happening with it.

It's been getting increasingly worse over time and it feels like the people making it keep looking at it and going "this game needs fun parts removed."

It's getting made it's just...well, kind of actually bad.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's been getting increasingly worse over time and it feels like the people making it keep looking at it and going "this game needs fun parts removed."

It's getting made it's just...well, kind of actually bad.

"Strongly Disagree"

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Which one was Starbound again, was it Terraria-In-Space? Because having played it in Early Access, I can't in any way imagine how they managed to make it less fun.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I have a kickstarter. I'm making a roguelike in space!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/daveycakes/omicron-sector

Not sure if you were dropping this in to show it off or if it was actually yours, but if it is, you may want to put the campaign on hold until you have more to show off. The paper (which might be a truly interesting read) isn't going to pull people in to funding. You need to have some kind of gameplay video at an absolute bare minimum, and you really need to be running full speed out of the gate.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JossiRossi posted:

Not sure if you were dropping this in to show it off or if it was actually yours, but if it is, you may want to put the campaign on hold until you have more to show off. The paper (which might be a truly interesting read) isn't going to pull people in to funding. You need to have some kind of gameplay video at an absolute bare minimum, and you really need to be running full speed out of the gate.

Yeah I realized I jumped the gun a bit; I just put together a video for Greenlight that I put together today.

The game is in...kind of an odd state. I have a ton of the moving parts in but it isn't quite a fully playable alpha build yet. Getting there, though. The paper is more of a "hey by the way I actually have the skills to make this happen" sort of thing.

That reminds me I have to announce that and link the video.

As for running full speed I spend most of my time working on this lately. Granted I was also a huge dumbass and started the Kickstarter really soon before I had to an art thing. Oh well, live and learn.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

JossiRossi posted:

I'll more or less agree with this. I backed it because I'm a sucker for roguelikes, but I'm not entirely sure what the core 'cool thing' of the game is just from the KS page. I was pumped for Crypt of the Necrodancer because it was all about rhythm and looked like it was probably going to be super fun to play just on a gamefeel level. I was pumped for Darkest Dungeon because it had a ton of style. I was pumped for Massive Chalice because the generations mechanic sounded really interesting. What's the cool new thing that Omicron has going for it that's going to make everyone fantasize about playing it?

It sounds you have an answer, since you mention that you think other roguelikes are lacking in AI complexity. It sounds like you could catch a lot more interest if you elaborated on that a little, gave people examples of cool moments that could happen in your game that no other game has been able to provide so far. "Better AI" doesn't really give any mental image to salivate over.

Having gameplay footage to show is pretty important, too. Making games is hard, and requires a ton of skills from design to programming to art to animation to ui design to audio stuff to marketing to just having the raw endurance and morale to see a project through to completion. Showing some actual gameplay is a good way to showcase that you actually have the skills to make a game that's fun.

Edit: Whoops, I took way too long to type this up and missed your response--

ToxicSlurpee posted:

As for running full speed I spend most of my time working on this lately. Granted I was also a huge dumbass and started the Kickstarter really soon before I had to an art thing. Oh well, live and learn.

On the other hand, even if you don't hit your target you'll end up with a bunch of people interested in your game that you'll be able to reach out to either on try two or if you start trying to build a community of people to follow your progress/give you feedback/playtest/etc.

OtspIII fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 2, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
There was some interesting behavior in the previous project I did to test the AI concepts. It's in the paper; the various enemies had some really interesting things happen depending on what was going on. One kind of creature did a very, very good job of swarming the player, which I never, ever programmed it to try to do. That's actually one of the next things I need to hammer out is AI. This one though I need to get more of the game done before I can get into the deeper AI. Step one is to just have an alpha build.

The big kicker that I think is the core of it is the tactical RPG part. Roguelikes are generally just one dude against the game. I thought "hey why not make a tacitcal RPG?" I just plain don't see a lot of those getting made these days and I'd like to see more. Other hooks were like "hey remember Starflight? And that feeling of a huge, empty universe? I want to do that too!"

OtspIII posted:

On the other hand, even if you don't hit your target you'll end up with a bunch of people interested in your game that you'll be able to reach out to either on try two or if you start trying to build a community of people to follow your progress/give you feedback/playtest/etc.

Yeah and this is the other side of it. Maybe the Kickstarter will fail, maybe it will get funded. Either way I'll have more game to show in a month from now. This has been very motivating and the fact that there are people interested at all is really cool. I realized recently that I should actually talk more about what I've been working on but I'm also kind of a recluse and need to remind myself to talk to other humans sometimes.

Granted the other motivation is that I'm broke and unemployed. Haven't been able to find a job. I've been looking for...oh, seven months now. I figured maybe I can convince people to pay me to make games. I work on games in my spare time anyway and have been for years so I figure hey why not try to make that my job?

Worst case scenario I fail hideously and it teaches me things. Then I try again later and do better next time.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Ratzap posted:

Grats getting funded mate, I just got the email ;)

One question though, I was thinking of doing the cartoonise thing but with one of my cats rather than me. Can your artist deal with a cat or is it people only?

Thanks, and thanks to all the goons who helped make it possible!

Cats are what Cami loves to draw most, so heck yeah! And don't worry about the cutoff, you can still send it. She'll be thrilled to draw a cat for a change :D

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/1563763

MN9 releases in June.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mr Underhill posted:

Cats are what Cami loves to draw most, so heck yeah! And don't worry about the cutoff, you can still send it. She'll be thrilled to draw a cat for a change :D

Yeah, congrats Mr Underhill!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mr Underhill posted:

Excellent, I fished out the previous email for the how to on the cartoon process and sent it off. Looking forward to what she can do with my old boy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

how bad is it going to be, for real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

S.J. posted:

how bad is it going to be, for real

Honestly it will probably be a thoroughly average platformer. The demo is out and playable (and has been for some time) and it's not really bad just unexceptional but also doesn't include the various powers which might help elevate the game.