Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Noise Complaint posted:

Have an immersion blender? You can make some tasty and filling pureed soups pretty easy with a crock pot and an immersion blender. My favorites are butternut squash soup, potato and leek soup, and roasted tomato/pepper.

Have stick, will blend!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Anytime I see someone characterize a newborn's height as "long", I immediately think "how can a baby be that well endowed"?

:iiam:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mat_Drinks posted:

I love cooking chicken this way. Olive oil and a bit of salt, pepper and oregano make the skin taste super good :btroll:

It's actually one of the worse ways to cook a chicken, the beer doesn't add any flavor and it makes it harder to get to the right internal temperature before the outside is overdone.

Spatchcock your chickens, always.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So a dude that works at my wife's school just recently got his mom's (grandma's?) '53 Ford Crestline. Apparently he's not much of a car guy but really wanted to have a restoration project with his son. Unfortunately, it seems that his son doesn't give a poo poo so I may actually end up helping out some. I don't really know poo poo about cars of this vintage so I'm not really sure where to start. Not sure when the car was last run, either, but I figure the standard of all fluids, filters, and rubber would be a good place to start. Unfortunately, ALL of the glass is gone and needs to be replaced.

Either way, might be fun to work on something that old.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BraveUlysses posted:

Incredibly scared to google this while at work.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Tide posted:

Incredibly scared to google this while at work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What's our current best thread to discuss possibly car purchases/sales? It might be time to have one fun/fast car and one POS DD instead of two fun/fast cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Word. YaYa's does it that way and it's the best chicken ever so it can't be wrong, that's where I learned it from.

Rhyno posted:

What's our current best thread to discuss possibly car purchases/sales? It might be time to have one fun/fast car and one POS DD instead of two fun/fast cars.

Sell your 6 speed and get a Camry. Keep Miata for fun times.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 2, 2016

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqrA8an9JNI

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Unfortunately, ALL of the glass is gone and needs to be replaced.

Either way, might be fun to work on something that old.

Check out the glass situation first. If you can't find any windows and have to get custom ones made you might as well just chop the roof anyway.

Glass is mighty expensive. I haven't worked on any 50s cars yet but have on lots of 60s ones, pretty curious what you'll find.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Check out the glass situation first. If you can't find any windows and have to get custom ones made you might as well just chop the roof anyway.

Glass is mighty expensive. I haven't worked on any 50s cars yet but have on lots of 60s ones, pretty curious what you'll find.

Yeah the glass is a problem. Apparently he's been looking for junkyards for replacements, but it's rare to find anything that old. Story is that every window was broken by assholes. hosed up.

No idea on any info on the car. If anything does happen, it'll be over the summer once he has time. If I end up getting roped into this thing, maybe I'll start a thread.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The combined efforts of RockAuto and FedEx:

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 2, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Dagen H posted:

I'm probably going to stick with cheapo European cars for a long while just so I can maintain the joyful experience of ordering from eeuroparts.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dagen H posted:

When did you order? It sometimes takes a while to get a proper scan... sometimes the first time it shows on the tracking screen, it's well on its way.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Ordered Friday morning, allegedly shipped Saturday. I'm already salty that it took an extra day to ship.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
At least the problem is easy to ID.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Yesterday Bernie Sanders was in town for a huge rally. This morning Ted Cruz was at a small diner around the corner from my house. Later today, Trump is gonna be in town.

Primary times are strange, man.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I never thought I'd learn something from Archer, along with being entertained...

Thomas Edison really did electrocute an elephant to demonstrate how AC current was unsafe (granted, he fed the elephant 6600V, which is ridiculous overkill). Plus, he shot video of it: :nsfw: obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoKi4coyFw0

:dogbutton:

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
Yeah, Edison was a huge rear end in a top hat and did all manner of disgusting poo poo to show the "dangers of alternating current!!!!". I don't buy into the Tesla hero-worship but at least he wasn't intentionally electrocuting animals.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I get the feeling that the guys behind Archer take a very special pride in being accurate as possible with completely out-of-loving-nowhere jokes, which is part of what makes it great.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I have a piece of fiber in my nose. Gonna have to go to town with the tweezers when I get home.:smithicide:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I never thought I'd learn something from Archer, along with being entertained...

Thomas Edison really did electrocute an elephant to demonstrate how AC current was unsafe (granted, he fed the elephant 6600V, which is ridiculous overkill). Plus, he shot video of it: :nsfw: obviously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoKi4coyFw0

If it died, it would be with lord. If it lived, it would have obviously been a witch and would have been stoned to death.

Jared592 posted:

Yeah, Edison was a huge rear end in a top hat and did all manner of disgusting poo poo to show the "dangers of alternating current!!!!". I don't buy into the Tesla hero-worship but at least he wasn't intentionally electrocuting animals.

Sometimes I wonder if Tesla really is the first internet generation folk hero.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CornHolio posted:

Yesterday Bernie Sanders was in town for a huge rally. This morning Ted Cruz was at a small diner around the corner from my house. Later today, Trump is gonna be in town.

Primary times are strange, man.

We had Trump yesterday and Bernie is set to start a speech shortly. Trump had about 7400 people show up, the headcount at the Sanders event has topped 12,000 so far.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

keykey posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Tesla really is the first internet generation folk hero.

I wish we had his notes, to see what he really knew.

meatpimp posted:

AC current

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

meatpimp posted:

They actually did a whole show (and a fantastic musical number) on that subject in another H Jon Benjamin show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RR65riUdVs
E: god loving dammit you tube app

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 2, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mendocino Farms' (a sandwich eatery) has an annoying business model: all employees are aggressively friendly. Please do not call me "bro," bro.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

meatpimp posted:

I wonder what the amperage of that was considering it takes as little as 200 milliamps is enough to stop a human heart.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fyodor posted:

Mendocino Farms' (a sandwich eatery) has an annoying business model: all employees are aggressively friendly. Please do not call me "bro," bro.

Yeah, it sucks seeing low-wage people enjoying and taking pride in their jobs, I always come away from Mendocino Farms thinking "That sandwich was delicious but this place would be a lot better if all the employees were sullen and angry at the customers"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Me too, thanks.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, it sucks seeing low-wage people enjoying and taking pride in their jobs, I always come away from Mendocino Farms thinking "That sandwich was delicious but this place would be a lot better if all the employees were sullen and angry at the customers"

Yes there is no middle ground between forced exuberance and surly anger. Please don't be stupid and or dishonest in your conversations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

fyodor posted:

This name is funny because the only thing they grow in Mendocino is weed (and I guess wine grapes).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fyodor posted:

Yes there is no middle ground between forced exuberance and surly anger. Please don't be stupid and or dishonest in your conversations.

Yes, it's me, the person who doesn't get mad and post about it on the internet when a IRL retail employee is pleasant to me. I'm the stupid one in conversations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yes, it's me, the person who doesn't get mad and post about it on the internet when a IRL retail employee is pleasant to me. I'm the stupid one in conversations.

And another one vying for the dumbest motherfucker in AI title. meatpimp you're on notice.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Adiabatic posted:

People quit being rude.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

We're on our periods early this month.

*edit: I just cooked fish and am now watching Hellboy after having hit the gym earlier. Not a bad Monday.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

At least it wasn't me. :shrug:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Seriously are any of y'all going to EDCNY?

Because you should.

Also we should chill.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

It's probably this thread. It gets the most traffic. You'll have to weed through the sarcasm but you'll have a blend here of people telling you to buy land rovers and busses to vintage BMW's and then others saying Miata. The only sanctioned car buying thread is in BFC which I trolled for a while but it's mostly full of people asking lame questions to where 'don't buy a rental, don't buy a salvage, you should get a Prius' is 95% of the answers.
Sell your Mazdas(Mazdi?); get a standard 6 and then a BMW. The E9X are in such a sweetheart of a price point right now it's outrageous.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fyodor posted:

I was going to say "welcome to the internet,"

fyodor posted:

And another one vying for the dumbest motherfucker in AI title. meatpimp you're on notice.

then I saw this.

Now I'm confused and don't know how to feel. AI, tell me how to feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

AI, tell me how to feel.

Like the reigning champion, defending your title. :v:

it's me, I'm the dumbest motherfucker in AI

• Locked thread