Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I take it back, it's now CoD Macross not CoD Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cyron posted:

i played a very small bit of Shovel Knight, what i played remind me of a mix of every good capcom game for the nes, since i also hint ducktales, also how is the remaster ducktales? i am thinking of picking it up.

It's very good but there's a progression stopping bug in the last boss fight of the steam version that you have to do crazy poo poo to work around.

There's also way too many goddamn cutscenes for a fast paced platformer and you can't turn them off until you beat the game at least once.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Battleborn's cutscenes confirmed for more expressive and fun than the gameplay.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Snak posted:

Crossposting from the Nioh thread, I made another Nioh video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6atrqfoqAtU

This one isn't as interesting as the last one, because it's just me continuing through the mission from where I left off while aimlessly rambling about what I'm doing in the game.

So you ask in that video whether or not you can get the key without fighting the oni.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gGNmhsu6mY

This is what happens when you immediately enter the level and don't know how to exit it without finishing it again and just want it over with as quick as possible.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Stormgale posted:

Battleborn's cutscenes confirmed for more expressive and fun than the gameplay.

Cool they went the quantum break way of showing you a cool cutscene instead of making a game. Why don't they do this for more games, just like show you a 2 hour video.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

So you ask in that video whether or not you can get the key without fighting the oni.

This is what happens when you immediately enter the level and don't know how to exit it without finishing it again and just want it over with as quick as possible.

amazing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It's very good but there's a progression stopping bug in the last boss fight of the steam version that you have to do crazy poo poo to work around.

There's also way too many goddamn cutscenes for a fast paced platformer and you can't turn them off until you beat the game at least once.

Aren't there like 3 cutscenes that about 2 minutes long apiece.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

In Training posted:

Aren't there like 3 cutscenes that about 2 minutes long apiece.

No, there is over an hour of cutscenes in a game that takes 2-3 hours to beat on average.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvQMQAmX8OI

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Cool they went the quantum break way of showing you a cool cutscene instead of making a game. Why don't they do this for more games, just like show you a 2 hour video.

Gameplay seems okay (ish) just well, for the sassy sarcastic vibe they were going for the 2d animation is so much better at showing expressions

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Phantasium posted:

was disappointed when you managed to use the shrine because i was hoping you were going to lead them all through the entire level

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

That's great!

And also thanks for watching my video! Part 3 will be up tonight.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I think you have bad diction, and I think you could do with some voice lessons. Do you know any singers? Anyone who's been in radio? Even just college radio? Ask them about how you could better employ your voice, because I do think what you're working with isn't bad, but you need practice, and I think people who've worked with their voices could point you in the right direction.

I won't speak to how interesting or uninteresting the videos themselves are, because I'm not into the type of game that Nioh is, so I'm biased against the content of your video and I therefore don't have anything constructive to say there.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

No, there is over an hour of cutscenes in a game that takes 2-3 hours to beat on average.

i just beat it last week and i noticed the cutscenes were unskippable but i played it a level per night for a week and it wasn't bad that way at all. all at once i guess could be rough but idk it was a pretty good job making an old game feel modern

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Great Joe posted:

I think you have bad diction, and I think you could do with some voice lessons. Do you know any singers? Anyone who's been in radio? Even just college radio? Ask them about how you could better employ your voice, because I do think what you're working with isn't bad, but you need practice, and I think people who've worked with their voices could point you in the right direction.

I won't speak to how interesting or uninteresting the videos themselves are, because I'm not into the type of game that Nioh is, so I'm biased against the content of your video and I therefore don't have anything constructive to say there.

Thanks! That gives me some specific things to work on.

A big part of the challenge for me is multitasking. I have a hard time thinking an talking or talking and doing. I'm one of those people who can talk or work, but not both. So I with both try to improve my voicework by itself, and my ability to talk while I'm playing. I really appreciate the feedback.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I played some of the original Ratchet and Clank today (or at least the HD version). Despite some jank and some baffling deductions, I'm actually surprised how well it holds up. I thought I'd miss strafing more but the game isn't made to have it so it not being there actually isn't that bad. It does really feel like the weird pilot episode for the series though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I never liked R&C because it's more shooter than plat former but I don't deny the visceral nature of enemies exploding into tons of bolts or w/e is really satisfying

That's why I like the Lego games

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dapper_Swindler posted:

So basically communist minecraft without the fun. sucks.
Considering how silent they've been since that test there's at least a chance they got a lot of feedback on how much it sucks and the silence is due to them uprooting poo poo and fixing it.

But I've been down that road before with other games so I won't hold out much hope.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

I played some of the original Ratchet and Clank today (or at least the HD version). Despite some jank and some baffling deductions, I'm actually surprised how well it holds up. I thought I'd miss strafing more but the game isn't made to have it so it not being there actually isn't that bad. It does really feel like the weird pilot episode for the series though.

I'm currently working my way through the HD version as well and hot dang is R&C2 better than R&C1.

I guess the first game isn't terrible but man has it aged poorly IMO

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CrashCat posted:

Considering how silent they've been since that test there's at least a chance they got a lot of feedback on how much it sucks and the silence is due to them uprooting poo poo and fixing it.

But I've been down that road before with other games so I won't hold out much hope.

yeah if the game was more about working together to prepare for kaiju attacks by recycling kaiju bodies and less about standing in line and riding the bus with a bunch of dark souls phantoms that drop out of existence if they get 10 feet from you it would be a better game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

i just beat it last week and i noticed the cutscenes were unskippable but i played it a level per night for a week and it wasn't bad that way at all. all at once i guess could be rough but idk it was a pretty good job making an old game feel modern

I respect what those cutscenes mean for fans of the show and the rest of the game is really good (except for capcom patching in a bug and never fixing it) but as someone who liked the NES game more than the show it often tried my patience. And you can skip the cutscenes by pausing and choosing "skip cutscene" but I should've been able to just turn 'em off from the start.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The third video of my Nioh demo "LP" experiment is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sitYIRRYYeM

Since this was all footage and VO I previously captured, it unfortunately doesn't include any improvements based on the feedback I've gotten here.

I was reminded earlier that there is a whole subforum for LPs, and my videos might be better suited to being posted there. Since I started posting them here and it's gonna be an inherently short LP (because it's of a demo), unless there are any objections, I thought I would just keep posting them here.

I'm having a lot of fun trying to get into this LP thing. I have a very addictive personality and am prone to play games mindlessly. Trying to play games in a thoughtful, effective way that won't be boring to watch, and to think about what's going on in the game, so I can talk about what I like and don't like about it from a game design perspective, is is helping me play games in a more fulfilling way. Then the process of reviewing my footage for editing and publishing forces me to reflect on how I play, how I talk about my playing, and how I present my interaction with the game.

I used to drink until games were fun. I used to drink when I died, drink when I won, drink when I got frustrated. Now I do this.

Now I need more harddrive space.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I think it's kind of understandable since the entire reason the game exists is to cash in on nostalgia and finding out that they were making basically a new episode of Duck Tales made like half the internet flip out.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Snak posted:

The third video of my Nioh demo "LP" experiment is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sitYIRRYYeM

Since this was all footage and VO I previously captured, it unfortunately doesn't include any improvements based on the feedback I've gotten here.

I was reminded earlier that there is a whole subforum for LPs, and my videos might be better suited to being posted there. Since I started posting them here and it's gonna be an inherently short LP (because it's of a demo), unless there are any objections, I thought I would just keep posting them here.

I'm having a lot of fun trying to get into this LP thing. I have a very addictive personality and am prone to play games mindlessly. Trying to play games in a thoughtful, effective way that won't be boring to watch, and to think about what's going on in the game, so I can talk about what I like and don't like about it from a game design perspective, is is helping me play games in a more fulfilling way. Then the process of reviewing my footage for editing and publishing forces me to reflect on how I play, how I talk about my playing, and how I present my interaction with the game.

I used to drink until games were fun. I used to drink when I died, drink when I won, drink when I got frustrated. Now I do this.

this part is great https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sitYIRRYYeM&t=708s

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Haha, yeah.

I really like how archers aren't as much of a joke as they are in dark souls. In soulsgames, ranged enemies almost always shoot on a rhythm that makes it really easy to just weave around their projectiles as you approach. Archers in Nioh actually hold their shots when you are leaving and and lead you a bit. You can still dodge their arrows if you move after they shoot, but it's not like souls at all.

Thanks for watching!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like the Nioh vids. I don't know if its a game I'd want to play or not but it seems kinda cool.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
hey what is your guys' recommendation for a game that's fun to play when I'm tired and don't want to think too much?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Problem Sleuth posted:

hey what is your guys' recommendation for a game that's fun to play when I'm tired and don't want to think too much?

Any particular system?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Unfunny Poster posted:

I like the Nioh vids. I don't know if its a game I'd want to play or not but it seems kinda cool.

Thanks! I'm glad you like them. It's gonna be crazy polarizing when it comes out, I think. You've already got soulsgame fans split on whether it's a cool hybrid of souls-style level design and samurai games with grinding and loot elements, or a crappy souls-knockoff that doesn't understand what makes soulsgames so good.

It's gonna be like the Lords of the Fallen drama, but x1000 because Nioh is actually good.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Problem Sleuth posted:

Stardew Valley was my go-to for this for a good while. I turned the volume down and listened to audiobooks, set to that great soundtrack.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the Nioh thread again, I made a ~3.5 minute video of the first boss fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGnBguUKlrc

Please ignore my absolute flubbing of the word "addicted" 3 seconds into the video.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you don't mention the negatives no one would probably notice them

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Stay safe, friendsq

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

if you don't mention the negatives no one would probably notice them

I think it's pretty unmissable, but thanks! You are right :)

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Any particular system?

PC

Jon Do posted:

Stardew Valley was my go-to for this for a good while. I turned the volume down and listened to audiobooks, set to that great soundtrack.

I actually played this earlier, it's a good game!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kTCBpQijBo

Snak posted:

Yeah, no problem, it's just a demo, so it's not like it would make a full LP, and it's cool to post it here, especially since 50% of the discussion here is DARK SOULS.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I'm glad the writers for King's Bounty: The Legend got to have with it it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

I think it's kind of understandable since the entire reason the game exists is to cash in on nostalgia and finding out that they were making basically a new episode of Duck Tales made like half the internet flip out.

It's not a dealbreaker or anything, but it is notable.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Snak posted:

I think it's pretty unmissable, but thanks! You are right :)

people make malapropisms all the dang time, duder, don't sweat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6FF9dGPdB8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXycuLOmH9s

• Locked thread