Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

kaworu posted:

That's really funny - I just started replaying this lately (I haven't played it in years and have never played it all the way through on Hard, not even *close*. Not even sure I beat it on Normal all the way through, I wasn't very good at this game even though I liked it.

Anyway, I'm running Windows 10 so there were some weird issues I had to work out to get the resolution right, and even then the cinematic didn't work when I got to the end of the Human campaign - that really awesome cinematic when Arthas stomps into the throne room and murders "[his] Father the King." But it works perfectly now, after downloading the new patch.

I actually remember when I first saw that, playing the game in my room on my little 1024x768 CRT monitor, and it was just the craziest/coolest thing ever. In part because I had never played a game that went into such a shockingly evil direction, and had you playing as this vile protagonist for half of the entire campaign. I mean, the human campaign is basically just Arthas getting crazier and crazier as you murder and slaughter various sorts of people and creatures en-masse throughout the game, and his command responses get more and more ironic. Then the table just flips entirely over and you're Arthas commanding the undead and it makes perfect sense.

It's unfortunate that Blizzard becoming such a mainstream juggernaut put an end to this side of their stories. Kerrigan winning in Brood War, Arthas' arc, the ending of Diablo 2... It was a lot of fun to be the bad guy and I think a big appeal of Warcraft 3 is that you get to be the antagonist who kills some familiar characters and puts known locations to the torch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Milky Moor posted:

It's unfortunate that Blizzard becoming such a mainstream juggernaut put an end to this side of their stories. Kerrigan winning in Brood War, Arthas' arc, the ending of Diablo 2... It was a lot of fun to be the bad guy and I think a big appeal of Warcraft 3 is that you get to be the antagonist who kills some familiar characters and puts known locations to the torch.

It is cathartic to, every now and then, pop on some cheat codes and roll over the elf kingdom with a horde of skeletons in that one undead mission.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
Warcraft III is seeing a bit of a resurgence in popularity on Twitch. Alivegame :unsmith:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Have the implemented a thing where you can see hitpoint bars? I remember having to install third party software that just kept the Alt key artificially depressed all the time so I could see the drat hitpoint bars.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I kind of want to play some good RPG custom maps. I don't remember one I used to play quite a lot, but I still have a screenshot of it from like 10 years ago. It was unbalanced as gently caress once you got to the end of the game, but it was fun being that overpowered.

Do any of y'all happen to know what this map was called?

It's called Legends Open RPG. It wasn't as great as I remembered it being though. Any well done rpg maps that are fun to play through?

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 23, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I actually found the TFT finale easier than the RoC one on Hard. Just keep the south and west points capped, focus on building up your forces and take on either the Naga or Blood Elf base just after they deplete their forces with an attack. Once you take one out you've halved the attacks on your base and the mission is yours.

A New Power in Lordaeron though...

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

DoubleNegative posted:

I kind of want to play some good RPG custom maps. I don't remember one I used to play quite a lot, but I still have a screenshot of it from like 10 years ago. It was unbalanced as gently caress once you got to the end of the game, but it was fun being that overpowered.

Do any of y'all happen to know what this map was called?

It's called Legends Open RPG. It wasn't as great as I remembered it being though. Any well done rpg maps that are fun to play through?

Man I used to play these all the time. Unfortunately I don't remember any of them. I do remember that there are at least one or two with "real" effort put into them. A lot of them are built around multiplayer though, so they're kind of hard to go back and play now.

king mullet
Apr 24, 2016

I remember The Black Road RPG being among my favorites as well as a World of Warcraft RPG map that I spent a ridiculous amount of time playing one-on-one against my friend. I'd love to see these remade as Dota 2 custom games

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I wasn't a fan of the open rpgs but the collaborative short ones were fun like Illidan's 7 DH's or Impossible Bosses.

The dota custom of impossible bosses is pretty lame compared to the war3 one.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Open RPG maps were awesome when they let you recruit workers and build bases. They'd turn into these hilarious games of diplomacy and backstabbing.

I can see it not really working in today's gaming climate, though. No one has the patience to get invested in something that open-ended.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Jesus Christ, the Broken Isles is ball-bustingly hard for no apparent reason. I was absolutely poo poo at this game when it first came out (also I was like 13) but after years of playing a lot of SC2 and getting used to RTS gameplay, I decided to go back and enjoy the WC3 campaigns too. I played through Reign of Chaos on Hard in 2014 and had no real problem at all with my newfound skills, took a break after that though. Well I started up Frozen Throne on Hard now and I'm already getting my rear end absolutely kicked on the second chapter, haha. All my units seem to melt in seconds to these Naga, any time I try to actually attack the western Naga base I get absolutely nowhere regardless of what composition or timing I try. This is pretty brutal. After doing SC2 all achievements on Brutal I'm used to having to restart but unlike those games (or the RoC campaign) I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to beat this map.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Love a good game of Warcraft 3

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Lacklustre Hero posted:

Love a good game of Warcraft 3

Me too bruh. Wanna slap our dicks together?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In theory the pitlord should be pretty good for 4v4 given how many units get affected by howl and rain of fire might not be the best aoe spell but it does keep him away from the front melee while still contributing. Unfortunately he keeps dying, but it might be because how bad I am at the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYQ3921AP_Q

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

Jesus Christ, the Broken Isles is ball-bustingly hard for no apparent reason. I was absolutely poo poo at this game when it first came out (also I was like 13) but after years of playing a lot of SC2 and getting used to RTS gameplay, I decided to go back and enjoy the WC3 campaigns too. I played through Reign of Chaos on Hard in 2014 and had no real problem at all with my newfound skills, took a break after that though. Well I started up Frozen Throne on Hard now and I'm already getting my rear end absolutely kicked on the second chapter, haha. All my units seem to melt in seconds to these Naga, any time I try to actually attack the western Naga base I get absolutely nowhere regardless of what composition or timing I try. This is pretty brutal. After doing SC2 all achievements on Brutal I'm used to having to restart but unlike those games (or the RoC campaign) I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to beat this map.

Update: manned up, beat the poo poo out of those Naga, felt good

Jesus that Staff of Negation you can buy at the merchant is ridiculous, basically no CD area dispel what the fcuk

I can not get used to item hotkeys being on the numpad though

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To be fair, Naga units are absurdly overpowered. Those few Night Elf/Human maps where you get to control them is really sweet.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Node posted:

Me too bruh. Wanna slap our dicks together?

I don't think I've played that map. Been playing a bit of Monster Master with a friend to kill time but it's a massive grind

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So I got to the first Human (well, Blood Elf) mission and uh, is this as poorly designed as it seems or did something get hosed up somehow? My first worker doesn't have enough lumber to finish repairing the first Observatory (I assume that's why he refuses to anyway) so I have to leave it 100 health away from repaired, trek alllllll the way to the new Great Hall I put down, harvest 20 lumber with said worker so I can build a farm and then do so, build more workers so I can harvest more lumber, then trek back to the first Observatory and finish the last 5%? What pointless tediousness is this?!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

So I got to the first Human (well, Blood Elf) mission and uh, is this as poorly designed as it seems or did something get hosed up somehow? My first worker doesn't have enough lumber to finish repairing the first Observatory (I assume that's why he refuses to anyway) so I have to leave it 100 health away from repaired, trek alllllll the way to the new Great Hall I put down, harvest 20 lumber with said worker so I can build a farm and then do so, build more workers so I can harvest more lumber, then trek back to the first Observatory and finish the last 5%? What pointless tediousness is this?!

You should have enough to finish it with your starting lumber. Did you build that great hall yourself or was it from the tiny castle in the first supply cache? If you built it yourself then you've hosed up. Get the caches in the starting area and the southeastern areas, they're vital for speeding up the base building aspect of the mission.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I used the tiny castle - the lumber ran out purely from him repairing, or at the very least I built nothing (it's the only peasant you get apparently and he was glued to the Observatory the whole time) and can't think of any other ways I'd be spending lumber. That's pretty weird. I also did grab both the caches you can get before crossing the river yeah.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

After a years-long hiatus from war3 completely due to being unable to find 3s/4s games, clan towa is alive again and terrorizing euro3s. I'm not sure why exactly people are playing again, but 1.27, rumors of bigger updates, and old pros streaming solo ladder seem to have revitalized good old wig. We can only find games on Northrend, during euro primetime (~noon to 6pm Eastern), but hopefully the playerbase will continue to grow.

We've also been streaming on twitch this time around, and the good games are all on our youtube channel. The replays are of course available on highper.ch.

We played a whole bunch this weekend, but here are the most notable games:

A perfectly textbook Sunrock Cove
(70:03 / All) ChriSzZ: get cancer fucktards

A similarly textbook (and suitably dramatic) four-hour thriller of an Upper Kingdom
(155:55 / All) Spectah: man this is genuinely the most autistic poo poo i've ever seen

A nailbiter Dragonblight against 9 Blue Dragons and an endgame boss of a TC
(98:30 / All) Tornado-Ro: retard game

and a classic Highperch, the comfort food of mountaineering.
(42:08 / All) JustRelax.: how did you get there guys?

We haven't been able to coordinate a search yet, but we're hoping that 4s games are also possible...

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Such a great game- that TC still gives me nightmares, although I wonder if he would have been better served retraining into shockwave when he was level 5 or so and sieging us that way.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Perch on perching on

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Insurrectionist posted:

Looking forward to hearing about King Arthas.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I can't remember the title of any chapters not named like Metal albums!

Thankfully the rest of the game seemed absent of bugs like that. The campaign was still pretty fun for sure, although the first Undead chapter took me ages in-game time since I kept losing and remaking Arthas's army so that was a bit annoying. Sylvanas and K'T had their acts together Arthas, why not you!?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I used to really like the Battleships custom map, I guess it was like a moba but you'd pick a destroyer, submarine, whatever, and load it up with pods of missiles and racks of machine guns, and your ship would automatically fire barrages of fire at enemies while you skirmished around the little shallows and inlets between the lanes.

That was a good time.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

I'm excited at Blizzard's renewed interest in WC3 and the prospect that they might consider an HD remake or even a sequel, but part of me knows that even if they did revitalize the IP the custom scene wouldn't be the same. Blizzard clamped down hard on the IP usage in SC2, bungled the scene right out the gate with the top 10 list, and there's a good argument to be made that the kind of people who make quality custom games have moved on to mobile app development.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

uniball posted:

After a years-long hiatus from war3 completely due to being unable to find 3s/4s games, clan towa is alive again and terrorizing euro3s. I'm not sure why exactly people are playing again, but 1.27, rumors of bigger updates, and old pros streaming solo ladder seem to have revitalized good old wig. We can only find games on Northrend, during euro primetime (~noon to 6pm Eastern), but hopefully the playerbase will continue to grow.

We've also been streaming on twitch this time around, and the good games are all on our youtube channel. The replays are of course available on highper.ch.

We played a whole bunch this weekend, but here are the most notable games:

A perfectly textbook Sunrock Cove
(70:03 / All) ChriSzZ: get cancer fucktards

A similarly textbook (and suitably dramatic) four-hour thriller of an Upper Kingdom
(155:55 / All) Spectah: man this is genuinely the most autistic poo poo i've ever seen

A nailbiter Dragonblight against 9 Blue Dragons and an endgame boss of a TC
(98:30 / All) Tornado-Ro: retard game

and a classic Highperch, the comfort food of mountaineering.
(42:08 / All) JustRelax.: how did you get there guys?

We haven't been able to coordinate a search yet, but we're hoping that 4s games are also possible...

:eyepop: i'm so happy right now

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Goddamn it. I forgot about The Long March.

time for a joke
Apr 30, 2004

hey dogs, it's me, timg. if you like our new influx of games readily available on our site (YouTube -- Highperch also don't forget to check in for our streams by clicking the TV icon on the 'per.ch!) then please support us in our effort to get W3Arena to host a 3v3/4v4 ladder.

http://tft.w3arena.net/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1514

this is a thread where an admin stated they don't necessarily have the resources at the moment to justify implementing these ladders, but if the support is there then perhaps they'd do it.

take a couple of minutes to create an account and post in this thread! it doesn't have to be a big thing (though that would be nice), just a few simple words could help out a lot.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

time for a joke posted:

http://tft.w3arena.net/community/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1514
take a couple of minutes to create an account and post in this thread! it doesn't have to be a big thing (though that would be nice), just a few simple words could help out a lot.

Everyone do this!

Now onto other pressing matters, I submit for your consideration the following game from our Golden Games series- a classic replay from 2007 that is a simply wonderful story to follow from beginning to end. We did a retrospective to preserve the prosperity of this thrilling game with most of us not having seen it in nearly 10 years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qRI3CRuFow

This replay has everything: thrills, spills, poo poo-talking, excitement, genuine fear and incredible determination. I can't recommend this click enough.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Highperch is so drat good

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

I feel like there's a big hole in my life starting around 2010 and lasting until the present where SC2 launched and I wrote off multiplayer blizzard RTS, and yet here is WC3 today, still managing to plod on weekly, and I could have been playing it the entire time

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Is wc3 still approachable for someone that used to be decent at 1v1 and 2v2 ladder back when frozen throne came out? I've been watching people play it on twitch and it's really giving me the itch to start playing again but i don't want to just get curb stomped all day because there's no one else in my skill bracket

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

ROFLburger posted:

Is wc3 still approachable for someone that used to be decent at 1v1 and 2v2 ladder back when frozen throne came out? I've been watching people play it on twitch and it's really giving me the itch to start playing again but i don't want to just get curb stomped all day because there's no one else in my skill bracket

I have no first hand experience with this but usually people that still play games as old as WC3 are superspergs that have been playing it the entire time.

Or there could be a hundred other people like you, but I'm leaning towards the former.

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

nah. the official blizzard servers are still full of people who can barely build a building without minutes of deep thought. maphackers are pretty common (i dunno, 10% maybe?), although at the lower end of the ladder they are generally so bad that it doesn't really matter much. Not many people on US west IIRC, but there's a reasonable population at both europe and US east I think
the wc3arena server has better ping and very few (in principle none) hackers, but the level of play is also substantially higher

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah I usually play almost every day and it's full of people who somehow manage to be worse at the game than me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jsor posted:

Goddamn it. I forgot about The Long March.

Yeah, gently caress the Long March.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Those classic tower guys that everyone loves to click and view continue to play some good-rear end 3s games on Europe, with today's newest being a short Monsoon with a twist. We have some early wins and turn back their first push, but it quickly becomes apparent that our antisiege efforts are unsustainable. What do you do when you have 30k in the bank and a rapidly dwindling supply of towers? Here's the vod and here's the reep.

We continue to rewatch/cast classic replays when we can't find 3s games. Here's one of the Golden Games: Triple UD Rice Fields. It's a classic...I can't believe it turned out how it did (original replay).

Speaking of Golden Games that I also can't believe the results of: The Alamo, a Dual Split Double Reverse Gilderbase (DSDRG) that doesn't quite finish the job (original replay).

Is anyone else playing this game? I mean, of course, the game of Ladder Warcraft 3 [Wig], not Don't Touch My Naruto or whatever. Anyway if you are we'd love to know...maybe we could form a clan on Northrend or something.

e: oops thanks

uniball fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Super minor thing, but your second video link is a duplicate of the first one.

Funny. Ten years on and here I am, watching videos of people getting mad at warcraft 3. Everything old is new again except for the players on battle.net because the players on battle.net are primordial ooze.