Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Chip Cheezum posted:

I banish this t-rex armed hacker man and summon a new update where a tiny bit of plot happens!

Episode 4: Bulbous.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash

Rock Thunderheart sounds like a Flintstones character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Chip Cheezum posted:

I banish this t-rex armed hacker man and summon a new update where a tiny bit of plot happens!

Episode 4: Bulbous.....Uncut Commentary.....Baldurdash

Holy poo poo :aaaaa: I never knew about that alternate "ending", holy gently caress that's brutal ADA. drat this LP made me really start to love her when I just completely hated her in first starting this game years ago.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 4, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean none of the characters have been all that good but ADA is great for spending much of the game making GBS threads on Leo.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I actually feel for Leo in this game. He's just 14-15 y/o boy who's had a lovely, lovely life and damnit, I gotta give him tons of credit for having the balls to disobey orders and consistently stick to his guns about not killing anybody right to Elena's face and all the while gettin sassed by a killer rear end in a top hat AI the whole time. Kid's got an iron will.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

beep by grandpa posted:

I actually feel for Leo in this game. He's just 14-15 y/o boy who's had a lovely, lovely life and damnit, I gotta give him tons of credit for having the balls to disobey orders and consistently stick to his guns about not killing anybody right to Elena's face and all the while gettin sassed by a killer rear end in a top hat AI the whole time. Kid's got an iron will.
That was what I loved most about this game, Leo's unerring consistency of conscientious objection. A desperate panicky child REALLY trying not to kill anyone since all the enemies you fight are either unmanned or eject their pilots beforehand. He's gotten way in over his head and everyone is telling him "you're not the right choice but you're the ONLY choice" which is true. I love that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Rock Thunderheart is pretty notmal for a gundam-style name. It's no Bring Stabity.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

This is as far as I got in my playthrough back in the day. I beat Neith, but got stuck in the next area for some reason.

And wow. I really never knew that this alternate ending even existed. That's amazing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, Celvice basically only existed to have someone besides ADA for Leo to talk to and to fill a fridge so we can see how goddamn crazy Viola is, eh?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Night10194 posted:

So, Celvice basically only existed to have someone besides ADA for Leo to talk to and to fill a fridge so we can see how goddamn crazy Viola is, eh?

Well, and to give us the awesome hint "I saw one somewhere! I won't tell you where though!" when we had to find the raptor.

I'll admit it took me forever even though the camera pans over it because I thought that one was too destroyed to use :arghfist::saddowns:

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Funny how you guys mention all the Evangelion stuff since this game feels like it was trying to lift specific things from Eva's plot.

Also, that bad ending is a bit of a surprise though I should've expected it from Hideo Kojima.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

MonsieurChoc posted:

Rock Thunderheart is pretty notmal for a gundam-style name. It's no Bring Stabity.

Don't forget the Gundam classic names such as: Paptimus Scirocco, Jamitov Hymen, Quattro Bajeena, Bright Noa, Sleggar Law, Lockon Stratos, Kacricon Cacooler... well there's lots.

I like Gundam a bunch and i've seen tons of it's influence in ZOE already.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Zortzico posted:

Don't forget the Gundam classic names such as: Paptimus Scirocco, Jamitov Hymen, Quattro Bajeena, Bright Noa, Sleggar Law, Lockon Stratos, Kacricon Cacooler... well there's lots.

Gym Gingham!
Ribbons Atmark!
Wootbit Gunhale!

It's like someone watched the Space Mutiny episode of MST3K and started taking notes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Hilling Care

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Gym Gingham!
Ribbons Atmark!
Wootbit Gunhale!

It's like someone watched the Space Mutiny episode of MST3K and started taking notes.

Bask Om!

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Zortzico posted:

Excuse you, it's Quattro Vagina.

And, on that subject, how you could forget about FULL FRONTAL!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

It's funny, but when Tyrant transforms, he looks a lot like the Shagohod.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Brunom1 posted:

Excuse you, it's Quattro Vagina.

And, on that subject, how you could forget about FULL FRONTAL!

Rolla Roller, or whatever the alias name was in Turn-A

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Gym Gingham!
Ribbons Atmark!
Wootbit Gunhale!

Damnit, beat me too it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHlJ2voJHY

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

Night10194 posted:

I was going to say the same thing. Celvice is a pointless character, but at least she isn't as annoying as Leo. I can understand Leo's objection to killing. It is a very real world response, but that is the problem because ZOE is a game, one about crazy cool robot fighting in space. If I want to play a game about piloting a fighting robot then I don't want to be told every cutscene that my character hates piloting a fighting robot. It is extremely annoying to have a protagonist that is constantly whining about the core concept of the game he is in.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Kurieg posted:

I think the "backstage areas" are because there aren't actually mountains on the space colony, they're just stone or a stone-alike attached to a superstructure so the people living on the colony can have pretty mountains. The fact that there's a lake up there too leads me to believe that the colony might be big enough that it has it's own water cycle, and if that's the case then having mountains would definitely help that but having several tons of solid rock on a space colony isn't precisely necessary.

Nah, I think Antilia station is actually Disneyland Jupiter.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SweaterGear posted:

I was going to say the same thing. Celvice is a pointless character, but at least she isn't as annoying as Leo. I can understand Leo's objection to killing. It is a very real world response, but that is the problem because ZOE is a game, one about crazy cool robot fighting in space. If I want to play a game about piloting a fighting robot then I don't want to be told every cutscene that my character hates piloting a fighting robot. It is extremely annoying to have a protagonist that is constantly whining about the core concept of the game he is in.

Not to mention gets an 'out' so that he can play around and fight unmanned robits while keeping his hands clean.

TTornado
Feb 15, 2015

Piso mojado, dirtbag.
For what its worth, I can kind of see Tyrant as looking like a cuttlefish, at least once it transforms.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

General Ironicus posted:

Nah, I think Antilia station is actually Disneyland Jupiter.

If so then their rides leave something to be desired. I'm pretty sure whoever came up with the "Teacup Ride Through A Microwave" ride was fired.

It's a world of gasses, a world of fears
It's a world with massive gravitational shear
If we ever fall down, we will find there's no ground
It's a huge world after all.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That reminds me of Golden Sun where you can end the game super early if you say no to taking the quest to save the world.

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

There's nothing that'll get me laughing quicker than "Flashback to 30 seconds ago"

Also, when Viola appears in that last cutscene there are some extremely MGS2 musical stings.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm really enjoying the music in this game. It's so good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Factory theme is my favorite in the first game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23MD3acnz4A

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
The conflict in the game's universe is ill-defined at this point, there's a dude named Rock Thunderheart, and all the robots have dicks, but the music has always made it feel to me like something really big was happening. The theme kicking in when Leo gets in Jehuty at the end of this episode is really great, too.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I wonder why the mouth animations are so bad when this is supposed to be a tech demo for MGS2

Weird thought, Viola and Random Hajile would make a cute couple

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The aesthetics of it all are definitely the first game's strongest point. Art direction, animation, mech design...maybe not character design, but everything else about how the production looks and sounds is top-notch, for drat sure.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Chip Cheezum posted:

The theme kicking in when Leo gets in Jehuty at the end of this episode is really great, too.

YES. I can't wait to post more about this once you get to the ending.

By the way about the bad ending there, one thing I have a very strong memory of was browsing the old Konami boards back when I was like 15 looking at the ZOE1 stuff, there were tons of posts about how to get the bad ending and is there a bad ending, etc. There was some Konami employee (maybe what's known as a community manager now or whatever?) who would reply to everyone and I will NEVER EVER forget their response to inquiries about the bad ending:

"We do not recommend achieving the bad ending for this game. It is extremely unpleasant."

:stonk:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Celvice acting like Leo just failed at Crazy Taxi was great

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Liking the voice-break Ada had there

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I wonder why the mouth animations are so bad when this is supposed to be a tech demo for MGS2

Pretty sure it took till MGS4 to get decent lip movements.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Oh yeah, another thing, that Bulb boss could have been straight out of Star Fox 64 but just sped up

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Maybe they're lip synced to Japanese only?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

MGS3 did not have english lip sync either and all of its cutscenes were in-engine, all of ZOE1's are prerendered.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
A bit late, I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, or how well known it is, but the song that plays at the title screen, and played when ADA was cleaning out that virus is a backwards version of Flowing Destiny.

I never hear anyone talk about it, it's a neat touch :v: It also fits well thematically when used during the final boss fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think you should save that tidbit for the ending since that's when we hear the actual song and the sample that is used for what you're talking about.

• Locked thread