Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
Young people today can't make it like young people of yesteryear because they are young. This person is getting paid to publish his "insights"

Race Realists posted:

haha are you loving kidding me?

Oh I didn't realize she got two separate non-overlapping degrees in addition to one in psychology, which is also a different field

e:*her "insights." I forgot that women can be wrong, too

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Stinky_Pete posted:

Oh I didn't realize she got two separate non-overlapping degrees in addition to one in psychology, which is also a different field

She comes from a wealthy background, married money, has no need to work; for vanity reasons wanted to play at having a career and couldn't find one that stroked her ego

Like most of these cnn articles, she seems to assume that everyone starts out life as independently wealthy with food/clothing/shelter etc guaranteed, so grit seems to mean "leaving the creature comforts of a wealthy person's home life go pretend to work a few hours a day"

She put on little cutey pie suit jacket outfits and hosed around the White House, literally, as a 20 year old, met and married a guy, went back for another college degree, and had a vague sense still that she was a useless twit

I'm not sure who cnn is marketing this stuff to

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

i am harry posted:

did you know that in order for a hiring manager at a "big box" retail store to even see your resume you have to take and pass a near 100 question personality test that was designed by a woman with no experience whatsoever in psychology or sociology or personality and has been thoroughly discredited multiple times?
of course you did, and you scored really well on it congratulations millenial

I heard if you score a 100 percent on it Goldman Sachs calls you up and gives you a 1000k job!

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

naem posted:

I'm not sure who cnn is marketing this stuff to

It's not cool to say that minorities are lazy and worthless anymore, so we have to find an outlet somewhere for our unbridled hatred and prejudice, and that somewhere is millennials.

Millennials: the group you can hate and not feel bad about hating.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Bring back duels to the death imho.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

RobattoJesus posted:

Millennials: the group you can hate and not feel bad about hating.

To be fair they're making it really easy

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Lol, the OP didn't mention that the article links to her grit scale test. It's ten questions, and there are "no right or wrong answers" but depending on your answers you're either a lazy shitbag millennial or a great gritty baby boomer or whatever

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Aralan posted:

Lol, the OP didn't mention that the article links to her grit scale test. It's ten questions, and there are "no right or wrong answers" but depending on your answers you're either a lazy shitbag millennial or a great gritty baby boomer or whatever

If you answer every question "Somewhat like me" it spits out this: 3.00 out of 5 - "You scored higher than about 20% of American adults in a recent study."

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

apatite posted:

If you answer every question "Somewhat like me" it spits out this: 3.00 out of 5 - "You scored higher than about 20% of American adults in a recent study."

I got a 1.0 and it said I scored above 10% of America, presumably those 0.0s are the millennials. Also, not only are the right answers really obvious, the questions literally alternate between "all the time" being best/worst

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I didn't read any of that, but is she just comparing young people to old people and asking why old people are more responsible?

naem
May 29, 2011

Question #1:

Who's a pwetty pwincess?
A) I'm a paetty pweincess daddy said so!!

Question # 2:

Would you rather:

A) live off mommy and daddy who wuv me vewy much and wide my pony daddy bought me and vacation twice a year in Apsen/the Fwench Wivera
B) find a NEW daddy who has even MORE money, one I have sex with!!
C) both a and b and also get a college degree, and then a job, which I don't need, like a fancy career woman like on TV!!
D) this job isn't GOOD enough I want a FANCY job! That's because I have so much GWIT! I'm GWITTY! Grr! Haha in a cutey pie *flutters eyelashes*
D) no daddy this long isn't good enough I want an APPOLOOSA!!

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The point of this article is to generate clicks and ad views.

Millenial vs Boomer is a huge sensitive topic that gets the blood boiling so you'll click on the article and view the ads.

CNN doesn't give a poo poo about millenials or boomers. We are just consumers to them, nothing more.

Hmmm I wonder what all the retirees are doing in their spare time? (Reading the internet) Makes sense to target them and make them feel good so they can squeeze that last dollar out of their body before rigor mortis sets in

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Aralan posted:

Lol it took her two different neuro degrees and a psych PhD to poo poo this out? Does psychology even pretend to be a science anymore?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I didn't read any of that, but is she just comparing young people to old people and asking why old people are more responsible?
no that would imply some sort of intellectual curiosity she is saying old people are more responsible than young people and its not important finding out why or if young people will eventually become old people or we

also all that test tells you is how much of an arrogant oval office the person taking it is so its no wonder old people are scoring better

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Aralan posted:

Wait, it's just a survey of whether your overarching life plan is set in stone yet? And this is purported to measure strength in the face of adversity?

I wonder which of her parents knew someone at CNN

Best Giraffe posted:

Lol it took her two different neuro degrees and a psych PhD to poo poo this out? Does psychology even pretend to be a science anymore?

Haha no, all the people who can actually work with math are in computational cognitive science, where they desperately try to throw machine learning at EEG readings and wait for the computers their funding can afford to catch up

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 4, 2016

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

"The generation of children we raised was ill-equipped to handle the awful circumstances resulting from decades of our selfish, short-sighted decisions. What's wrong with them?"

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Grit

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Time_pants posted:

"The generation of children we raised wasWhat's wrong with them?"

To be fair to boomers, they were also ill-equipped to handle the awful circumstances resulting from decades of their parents' selfish, short-sighted decisions and the first group handed a MAD based system of world politics, and they did a slightly better job

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
If you click the test it should just call you a retard imo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lol she opens with a quote from Will Smith in one of her articles (I don't know if it was published)

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
A ton of dumb rear end millenials continually go into major debt to get worthless degrees that qualify them for 0 jobs. Members of older generations that were stupid enough to do that had way more decently paying jobs to fall back on, and the debt wasn't as severe. People will continue to focus on the fact that older generations were punished less harshly for their mistakes, rather than that people continue to make the same mistakes.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Stinky_Pete posted:

Haha no, all the people who can actually work with math are in computational cognitive science, where they desperately try to throw machine learning at EEG readings and wait for the computers their funding can afford to catch up

Good. I'm glad for it. I hope the machines also learn that psychology is a fake science for losers.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

naem posted:

Question # 2:
B) find a NEW daddy who has even MORE money, one I have sex with!!

:yeah:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Magnitogorsk. posted:

A ton of dumb rear end millenials continually go into major debt to get worthless degrees that qualify them for 0 jobs. Members of older generations that were stupid enough to do that had way more decently paying jobs to fall back on, and the debt wasn't as severe. People will continue to focus on the fact that older generations were punished less harshly for their mistakes, rather than that people continue to make the same mistakes.

A good post. When my dad when to uni he got a degree in mathematics for free and it qualified him to do exactly one thing - teach. He did that for a record two weeks before quitting and working in IT instead. If he did that today he'd have $60k+ worth of debt to work off and good luck getting a job in IT in your mid-20s with no experience and no real qualification.

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Why can't serfs pull themselves up by their bootstraps. Used to be a guy could provide for his whole village just by downing one mammoth, these guys must be too lazy to hunt mammoths

naem
May 29, 2011

IT 30 years ago meant installing windows off of some disks and unboxing some computer, boxes and hey, what if we plugged these computers together into a "network" whew this sure is the future I'm a whiz kid

Some people have been earning six figure incomes for years especially if they got into a management position based off skills any six year old could learn

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

RobattoJesus posted:

Every older generation has ruined the country for the one that comes after it since time began.

The difference is that usually the younger generation says "gently caress you, give me that you stupid old retard" and fixes poo poo whereas millennials are all "daaaaaad, please fix the world before you die. Daaaaaaaaaaaaddy! *passive aggressively dies*"

Right yeah okay.

What generation in the USA has paid more for education and gotten less in wages for the work? Gilded Age industrial factory kids? poo poo at least they weren't in debt.

The insistence of the older generation that things are just the same as they have always been is a huge part of the problem imo. Stick your fingers in your ears and yell 'neener neener' some more.

Magnitogorsk. posted:

If you are relying on 16 year olds to make intelligent decisions as a fundamental part of your education process then I think that's stupid as hell. Since you apply for colleges Jr. year and all.

But yeah the issue isn't that we allow kids to go into major debt for degrees we all know are worthless. It's just that millenials are stoopid haha.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 4, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Roylicious posted:

What generation in the USA has paid more for education and gotten less in wages for the work?

every generation (except the boomers)

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Rutibex posted:

every generation (except the boomers)

You're saying that college tuition rates have not in fact risen every single year and that average wages have not in fact remained stagnant for the last 50+ years because the rich take all the value of increased production for themselves?

Well poo poo man how is the weather there in Bizarro USA?

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 4, 2016

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Its really hard explaining why a chronic lack of stability makes it difficult to hit all the usual milestones of success when the listener has had the same job for 40 years and has never lived more than 10 miles from their highschool

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Roylicious posted:

You're saying that college tuition rates have not in fact risen every single year and that average wages have not in fact remained stagnant for the last 50+ years because the rich take all the value of increased production for themselves?

Well poo poo man how is the weather there in Bizarro USA?

america has a history longer than 50 years.

millennials have it bad, but they have it much better than: gilded age workers, anyone during the great depression, soldiers fighting in WW1, slaves, indentured servants, etc.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Roylicious posted:

Right yeah okay.

What generation in the USA has paid more for education and gotten less in wages for the work? Gilded Age industrial factory kids? poo poo at least they weren't in debt.

The insistence of the older generation that things are just the same as they have always been is a huge part of the problem imo. Stick your fingers in your ears and yell 'neener neener' some more.

I didn't say millennials don't have it bad, I said they don't want to fix poo poo and would rather complain on the internet and post graphs.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
We've got stars directing our fate
And we're praying it's not too late
Cause we know we're falling from grace
Millennial

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Rutibex posted:

millennials have it bad, but they have it much better than: gilded age workers, anyone during the great depression, soldiers fighting in WW1, slaves, indentured servants, etc.

You're right, literal slaves probably had a lot of grit, too, since it appears a major component of that is sticking to the same task for long periods of time

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

None of those paid more for education than millennials though. At least they weren't under any illusions growing up, either.

I guess the indentured servants were also working off a huge debt but still lol

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

milenials probably think they need to use an app to get more grit

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Is it because kids in the 40s-70s were actively encouraged to sell Grit door to door by reading about it in their funny books.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My dad literally laughed at me for having to apply for graduate positions, he said he was offered 7 when he graduated with basically same degree as me.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
Burning the world to the ground in the twilight of your life is gritty as gently caress so this article is pretty accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
What is the age cutoff for millennials even supposed to be? Like, I am almost 40 and by some definitions I am one.

• Locked thread