Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/opinions/grit-is-a-gift-of-age-duckworth/index.html

quote:

(CNN)"What's wrong with millennials?" This is a question many older Americans are asking. Why do they keep changing their minds about what they want to do with their lives? Why does even a hint of critical feedback send them into a tailspin of self-doubt?
In a word, why don't they have more grit?

This last question is particularly important to me because I am a psychologist who studies grit. I define grit as passion and perseverance for long-term goals. It's what keeps us going when everything else makes it seem easier to give up. In my research, I find that how you score on my Grit Scale—a short survey of your current level of passion and perseverance—predicts achievement.
Grittier students are more likely to earn their diplomas, grittier teachers are more effective in the classroom, grittier soldiers are more likely to complete their training, and grittier salespeople are more likely to keep their jobs. The more challenging the domain, the more grit seems to matter.

I now have Grit Scale scores from thousands of American adults. My data provide a snapshot of grit across adulthood. And I've discovered a strikingly consistent pattern: grit and age go hand in hand. Sixty-somethings tend to be grittier, on average, than fifty-somethings, who are in turn grittier than forty-somethings, and so on.
So, why are millennials at the bottom of the heap in grit? There are two possible explanations. That's because the sixty-somethings I've surveyed differ from the twenty-somethings in two ways. One difference is that they grew up in the "Mad Men" era rather than the new millennium. But it's also true that they have more than twice as much life experience.

Do millennials lack grit because our culture devalues a work ethic?
Let's consider the first possibility and assume that older adults are grittier than their younger counterparts because in their formative years, they were shaped by different cultural forces. Back in the day, the story goes, you were expected to grow up to do one thing for a living and then retire. You were exhorted to work hard, and you were told that nothing in life comes easy. These cultural norms validated a solid work ethic and a single lifelong career.
If you're a baby boomer, chances are you agree with this explanation. I've lost count of the business leaders who've told me that their young employees are far less gritty than they themselves were at the same age. Millennials, they complain, sigh loudly when work needs to be taken home over the weekend, spend less time at the office than older colleagues with children at home, and are both puzzled and indignant when, after a few months on the job, they haven't been promoted.

There is ample evidence that certain cultural attitudes have changed. We know this because there are surveys that have been given to young adults again and again over the decades. For instance, millennials are comparatively more likely to support same-sex marriage and the legalization of marijuana. They have less faith in institutions like our elected government.
Scientific evidence, however, fails to confirm what older business leaders believe about their younger employees. When it comes to differences in psychological attributes like grit, the evidence of generational difference is much less robust than you might think. Because I created the Grit Scale only about a decade ago, I can't directly test whether young adults growing up in earlier epochs would score higher than young adults today.

Be that as it may, plenty of archival data has been collected on psychological traits highly correlated with grit, like conscientiousness. Some of these studies have found absolutely no differences in conscientiousness. Others, such as one study of Dutch college students, suggests that those entering university 30 years ago were, if anything, slightly less conscientious than those entering just a decade ago.

Or do baby boomers have more grit because they have more life experience?
Now let's test our second hypothesis for why millennials might have less grit: the possibility that we develop passion and perseverance with life experience. This makes good intuitive sense. After all, as the years go by, we get to know ourselves better. We figure out what we're interested in. With practice, we learn that trying to do something hard, and failing at it, isn't the end of the world. As a friend who lost a job once told me, there's nothing like getting fired to make you realize how bumpy the road of life is, and how surprisingly capable we are of getting up after falling down.
In longitudinal studies conducted by different scientists on different people over varying swathes of the lifespan, the consistent pattern is that positive psychological traits get better over time. As our knees and hips and eyesight deteriorate, we become more dependable, less impulsive, kinder, and less moody. Psychologists call this the maturity principle.
My own life experience fits this principle to a T. I spent my twenties skipping around from career to career. I worked very briefly in the White House, writing speeches. I spent a year doing management consulting. Another year, I helped run a nonprofit website for parents. I taught math in urban public schools. At one point, I thought seriously about starting a charter school. Betwixt and between, I earned degrees in neurobiology and neuroscience.

By the time I turned 30, I realized that not having a clear direction in life was tremendously unsatisfying. After much soul searching (our living room couch nearly turned crusty with the salt of my tears) I turned to my husband and declared I was going to graduate school.
I wanted to become a psychologist so that I could understand, finally, why some people end up successful in life and why others in identical circumstances do not. And that's exactly what I did. When I look back on that decision and the work I have done since then, I realize that in an important sense, knowing with certainty why older adults are grittier than their younger counterparts is less important than simply acknowledging that they are.
Leisure is the new productivity
Leisure is the new productivity (Opinion)
This knowledge could revolutionize how we think about older workers in what Anne-Marie Slaughter calls "phase three." Slightly slower-moving silverbacks may have more passion and perseverance, not to mention perspective, expertise and emotional equanimity, than younger whippersnappers. If the quality and quantity of continuous effort toward goals matters as much as I think it does, we may actually get more productive, not less, as we get older—even if we can't pull all-nighters like we used to.

In the end, grit and growth go hand in hand
Even more encouraging—whether because of life experience or cultural changes—age trends in grit affirm that our character is never entirely fixed. Who we become in life is not entirely determined by our genes. Sure, the DNA we inherited from our parents inclines us toward more grit or less, just like it influences everything else about us from our waistline to our risk for skin cancer. But like those traits, grit is also influenced by what happens to us, and what we make happen.
I am almost exactly the same age as the writer Pamela Druckerman, who observed shortly before her forty-fourth birthday that "the biggest transition of the 40s is realizing that we've actually, improbably, managed to learn and grow a bit." As an example, she points out that "soul mate" is a title earned, not discovered. I'd say the same of career callings.
So what's wrong with millennials? Nothing. They just haven't grown up. Yet.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
i think its basically because i cant maintain an erection

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
stfu

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
tell the author that I took a pretty gritty poo poo this morning, and it reminded me of his posting

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I like to eat grits

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

quote:

Editor's Note: Angela Duckworth, PhD, is a 2013 MacArthur Fellow and professor of psychology at the University of Pennsylvania. She is the co-founder of the Character Lab, a nonprofit whose mission is to advance the science and practice of character development in children. She is the author of a new book, GRIT: The Power of Passion and Perseverance (Scribner). The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
haha are you loving kidding me?

quote:

My own life experience fits this principle to a T. I spent my twenties skipping around from career to career. I worked very briefly in the White House, writing speeches. I spent a year doing management consulting. Another year, I helped run a nonprofit website for parents. I taught math in urban public schools. At one point, I thought seriously about starting a charter school. Betwixt and between, I earned degrees in neurobiology and neuroscience.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

quote:

Because I created the Grit Scale only about a decade ago, I can't directly test whether young adults growing up in earlier epochs would score higher than young adults today.

quote:

I realize that in an important sense, knowing with certainty why older adults are grittier than their younger counterparts is less important than simply acknowledging that they are.

...They just are! :downsbravo:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Millenials have smaller genitals than baby boomers.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Iron Prince posted:

i think its basically because i cant maintain an erection

Everybody laugh at Iron Prince

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
It's because of garbage values imposed upon them combined with overpopulation & societal rundown

Lol j/k

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Eeugh. We know the system has set most of us up for failure so what's the point. Enjoy the small things and live the futile.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
improvements in milling technology, as well as advanced computer controlled blowers, have reduced ambient GRIT by as much as 98.45% in some places

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Drawing on her own powerful story as the daughter of a scientist who frequently bemoaned her lack of smarts, Duckworth describes her winding path

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

down n out posted:

...They just are! :downsbravo:

Isn't it cute when people make falsifiable predictions that can only be tested long after they are dead? I love those.

Fake rear end scientist.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Can't believe articles like this are still being published in 2016.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
It is the influence of perverted Gallic-Latin culture which poisons the mind of our youth and makes them indolent. They seek pleasure and scorn the sweat of hard work and the danger of arms. They would rather rot in hedonistic pits than to carry forth the enobling cause of our race. Thankfully there is a bracing corrective: the sharp application of Teutonic Kultur!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It's pretty cool that CNN has hired their own PFTCommenter style parody social commentator.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

exterminate all boomers imho

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
"What's wrong with snake people?" This is a question many older Americans are asking.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I loving LOVE COPY AND PASTE THREADS FROM ANIME PEDOPHILES

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

quote:

Let's consider the first possibility and assume that older adults are grittier than their younger counterparts because in their formative years, they were shaped by different cultural forces. Back in the day, the story goes, you were expected to grow up to do one thing for a living and then retire. You were exhorted to work hard, and you were told that nothing in life comes easy. These cultural norms validated a solid work ethic and a single lifelong career.
If you're a baby boomer, chances are you agree with this explanation. I've lost count of the business leaders who've told me that their young employees are far less gritty than they themselves were at the same age. Millennials, they complain, sigh loudly when work needs to be taken home over the weekend, spend less time at the office than older colleagues with children at home, and are both puzzled and indignant when, after a few months on the job, they haven't been promoted.

Lol this bitch still believes life time employment is a thing.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
CNN is always putting up dumb articles like this. I think they hate freedom.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

skeletonotherkin posted:

Lol this bitch still believes life time employment is a thing.

If you are rich and white it still is

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Race Realists posted:

our living room couch nearly turned crusty with the salt of my tears

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Race Realists posted:

haha are you loving kidding me?

My own life experience fits this principle to a T. I spent my twenties skipping around from career to career. I worked very briefly in the White House, writing speeches. I spent a year doing management consulting. Another year, I helped run a nonprofit website for parents. I taught math in urban public schools. At one point, I thought seriously about starting a charter school. Betwixt and between, I earned degrees in neurobiology and neuroscience.

Loll

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

Eeugh. We know the system has set most of us up for failure so what's the point. Enjoy the small things and live the futile.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Duckworth is one of my favorite last names. I love saying it aloud.

Duckworth.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

jarofpiss posted:

exterminate all boomers imho

I hope when Trump wins he cuts Medicare spending!

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
The chicks entire theory falls through the floor when confronted with the fact that Boomers are batshit terrified of technology and when a young person tries to explain how to use a computer to them they get offended at the idea that a young person knows more than them and either relegate them to a position so intolerable they quit or outright fire them. Boomers and their sticky gently caress-brained sense of management is a constant thorn in the side to younger workers who understand more about the products and services they offer than the boss actually does. Whinging about how 'A McJob is supposed to be temporary until you move into more serious work' would also be a fine worldview if more serious work was available and Boomers refuse to accept that Starbucks is the new All American 9-2-5 and when their generation disassembled all of the nations industry and shipped it overseas in pursuit of the golden margin. Articles like this are perfectly happy to consider every aspect of 'Millennial life' as an unconnected series of statements in vacuums that have no nuance or inter-sectional issues but when it comes to Life Over 50 you've plenty of shitholes like Huffpo50 celebrating how being old is _totally_ better than being young because being young is for retards. Boomers are the most entitled generation of humans that has ever loving lived and they're on a crusade to whinge as hard as they can for as long as they can that people younger than them aren't interested in their out-dated view of the loving world and their role in it as technologically incapable wrinkled toddlers covered in tacky loving gold and driving ugly retarded British sportscars which represent a world which no longer exists.

Ape Fist fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 4, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Millenials are lazy because theyve lost faith in the american dream because boomers killed it

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Why aren't you wasting your entire life slaving at the office so your bosses can get a bigger bonus? What's wrong with you assholes? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Ape Fist posted:

The chicks entire theory falls through the floor when confronted with the fact that Boomers are batshit terrified of technology and when a young person tries to explain how to use a computer to them they get offended at the idea that a young person knows more than them and either relegate them to a position so intolerable they quit or outright fire them. Boomers and their sticky gently caress-brained sense of management is a constant thorn in the side to younger workers who understand more about the products and services they offer than the boss actually does. Whinging about how 'A McJob is supposed to be temporary until you move into more serious work' would also be a fine worldview if more serious work was available and Boomers refuse to accept that Starbucks is the new All American 9-2-5 and when their generation disassembled all of the nations industry and shipped it overseas in pursuit of the golden margin. Articles like this are perfectly happy to consider every aspect of 'Millennial life' as an unconnected series of statements in vacuums that have no nuance or inter-sectional issues but when it comes to Life Over 50 you've plenty of shitholes like Huffpo50 celebrating how being old is _totally_ better than being young because being young is for retards. Boomers are the most entitled generation of humans that has ever loving lived and they're on a crusade to whinge as hard as they can for as long as they can that people younger than them aren't interested in their out-dated view of the loving world and their role in it as technologically incapable wrinkled toddlers covered in tacky loving gold and driving ugly retarded British sportscars which represent a world which no longer exists.

Don't serious post in this thread. It's not worth your valuable time, friend! :)

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

A Millennial posted:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
its all the transgender crops kids are eating nowadays

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
grits are a garbage food

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Kiss my grits op

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
wow yall get salty about some lib arts lady owning you. I have a thread to record these and begin the healing process. Flailing about for 50 pages in this thread ranting about baby boomers and how everyone is out to get you is not mentally safe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

its ok i never wanted a house kids career or to be a real human being any ways

• Locked thread