Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

DS2 doesn't have passwords, does it? You'd have to pick a god using that one ring to do that I think.

drat, you're right-- that was Bloodborne and DS3. It's a good addition to the series mechanics, I kinda wish it had been in 2. Although, given the tweaked covenants, I can see how it wouldn't work well...

Ah well. Maybe in a year or so when Kuvo and Vicas drag Geop back into the fray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

I'll probably tweet out whenever we're recording, from time to time (not every session) in case folks want to invade and be jerks :v: I'll run it by the guys or let them do it at the start of the session (without telling me) if they'd prefer.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Geop posted:

I'll probably tweet out whenever we're recording, from time to time (not every session) in case folks want to invade and be jerks :v: I'll run it by the guys or let them do it at the start of the session (without telling me) if they'd prefer.

Remember to tweet your soul memory so people can be real twinking jerks.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Oh man, so glad I decided to check what threads are around in LP right now. Your original Dark Souls LP basically made me reg on the forums. :allears:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Spergminer posted:

Remember to tweet your soul memory so people can be real twinking jerks.
idk what this means but any twink gear will be ignored/dropped (I mean if someone appears and drops any. That was a thing in DS1 I think).

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Geop posted:

idk what this means but any twink gear will be ignored/dropped (I mean if someone appears and drops any. That was a thing in DS1 I think).

Dark Souls IIs matchmaking is mainly influenced by your Soul Memory, which is every Soul you've ever earned, including those lost or spent. It's quite a lovely system, yes. On the other hand, it's usually not something to worry about because everyone has the same problem. Still, Soul Memory is bad.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Geop posted:

Spergminer probably meant people invading a new, low-level character like you, with overpowered gear so that they can kill you with one hit. Because that will surely make for great footage.
In DaS1 terms, think someone invading you in the Undead Burg with a +5 Lightning weapon, while you're fresh from the Undead Asylum and haven't even seen a Titanite Shard yet.

While we're on the subject of Soul Memory. I will be forever grateful to From for the ridiculous amount of tears of impotent rage Soul Memory caused among the twink crowd. :allears:

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 4, 2016

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Geop posted:

I think the only thing people are going to try and give you is Goonther's hat.

And trying to kill you a lot.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I'm not really a fan of the ring matchmaking system in DaS2. Sure it lets people connect more easily with friends, but for me the main draw for co-op in the first game was that you never knew who you'd end up with and that made it exciting. New alliances were quickly made, we would explore, fight and hopefully ultimately survive the boss and then quickly praise the sun as we realise we would never see each other again.

In DaS2, if you're alone and decide to get a friend to go with you, 4 times out of 5 it would be some jerk who would disconnect immediately and then put a new summon sign on the ground, possibly because they want to co-op with another buttmuncher and not with you.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Laputanmachine posted:

I'm not really a fan of the ring matchmaking system in DaS2. Sure it lets people connect more easily with friends, but for me the main draw for co-op in the first game was that you never knew who you'd end up with and that made it exciting. New alliances were quickly made, we would explore, fight and hopefully ultimately survive the boss and then quickly praise the sun as we realise we would never see each other again.

In DaS2, if you're alone and decide to get a friend to go with you, 4 times out of 5 it would be some jerk who would disconnect immediately and then put a new summon sign on the ground, possibly because they want to co-op with another buttmuncher and not with you.
What? But if that guy only wanted to play with a certain person...why would they not use the ring?

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Simply Simon posted:

What? But if that guy only wanted to play with a certain person...why would they not use the ring?

Probably for the same reason if you go pubbing in, say, Payday 2 or some co-op game and you try to join a lobby and you're kicked instantly because "we're waiting for a friend" and there is an option to make the lobby friends-only or even private but the option isn't ticked.

They're lazy or idiots or very possibly both.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Laputanmachine posted:

Probably for the same reason if you go pubbing in, say, Payday 2 or some co-op game and you try to join a lobby and you're kicked instantly because "we're waiting for a friend" and there is an option to make the lobby friends-only or even private but the option isn't ticked.

They're lazy or idiots or very possibly both.

I do this all the time in Payday 2. Two reasons, 1. Most players are terrible, 2. My friends I play with are assholes who wait till I'm five minutes into a game to join.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Geop posted:

FYI, you can dual-wield weapons in this game. This has nothing to do with your quote but wanted you to know this.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I like to make co-op characters for Dark Souls 2 more specifically than any other game in the series.

Can this game cross-platform between the PS3 and the PS4? What about SotFS vs non-SotFS?

I'd love to be bash buddies with Goonther :allears:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

inthesto posted:

I like to make co-op characters for Dark Souls 2 more specifically than any other game in the series.

Can this game cross-platform between the PS3 and the PS4? What about SotFS vs non-SotFS?

I'd love to be bash buddies with Goonther :allears:

PS3 and PS4 are SotFS vs non-SotFS, and no.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Geop posted:

If this game has a set of armor that makes you look like a twink I think I need to buy it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'd think that'd be more a matter of character creation and not wearing armor.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I popped back into Dark Souls 2 yesterday because of this LP (and also because I remembered that I hadn't finished it yet) and the death count on the statue is like, a little under three times higher than in the third video :stare:

Then again I'm on PC so that might affect things?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Most likely. Keep in mind as well that original DS2 is separate from Scholar, and so you're likely getting data about the former rather than the latter.

Amusingly enough, it's also possible to check out your personal death count for a given character by checking that sign while offline.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

I popped back into Dark Souls 2 yesterday because of this LP (and also because I remembered that I hadn't finished it yet) and the death count on the statue is like, a little under three times higher than in the third video :stare:

I'm fairly sure the death counter is by version, yeah. More people probably playing the PC Scholar than the PS4 re-release.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

EponymousMrYar posted:

heh, "master race"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I'm not on Scholar since I read a few things about what it did and went 'eff that.'

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

NGDBSS posted:

Most likely. Keep in mind as well that original DS2 is separate from Scholar, and so you're likely getting data about the former rather than the latter.

Amusingly enough, it's also possible to check out your personal death count for a given character by checking that sign while offline.

Does that mean the players are separated in two non-interacting different groups, players with DS2 and players with scholar edition?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Delacroix posted:

Does that mean the players are separated in two non-interacting different groups, players with DS2 and players with scholar edition?
Correct. Scholar runs on a slightly different engine (7th -> 8th generation consoles, or DX9 -> DX11 on PC), and has sufficiently many changes that merging things would be a pain in the rear end for (relatively!) little benefit.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 5, 2016

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I happened to be drinking some Golden Monkey while watching this and I have to agree that it's always a good choice!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
hooray for skeleton

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
You can start the game in Offline mode and check that death pillar to see your own specific number of deaths thus far later in the game. There used to be a site where you could see detailed statistics for deaths on every platform and breakdowns on what specifically killed people, but Bamco killed it around the time Dark Souls 3 was announced.

Geop posted:

You got doodles in the last LP from one of my kids. I will send my other child out to destroy you here. :getin:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

May the Dark Souls 2 LP thread shape up to be a veritable renaissance movement.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Dark souls 2: Get out of your seat and fight the Goonther.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Kangra posted:

I happened to be drinking some Golden Monkey while watching this and I have to agree that it's always a good choice!

Wait, it's not booze?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

Wait, it's not booze?

http://www.victorybeer.com/beers/golden-monkey/ is what Vicas was drinking. I assume the other guy realized that and was making a joke.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm surprised the number of deaths on that altar wasn't higher.

I know most people didn't like DS2 as much as DS1 -- myself included --, but does anyone know how well it sold in-comparison to DS1?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Covok posted:

I know most people didn't like DS2 as much as DS1 -- myself included --, but does anyone know how well it sold in-comparison to DS1?
The two have at this point had comparable sales. DS1 apparently sold 2.37 million copies as of mid-2013 (after the PC port), while DS2 sold 2.5 million copies as of mid-2015 (after the release of Scholar).

And for obvious reasons of time and whatnot DS3 hasn't reached those sorts of numbers yet.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

The two have at this point had comparable sales. DS1 apparently sold 2.37 million copies as of mid-2013 (after the PC port), while DS2 sold 2.5 million copies as of mid-2015 (after the release of Scholar).

And for obvious reasons of time and whatnot DS3 hasn't reached those sorts of numbers yet.

Last year From Software actually revealed some of their numbers for both games.

2011 Dark Souls original (PS3 only) has sold a combined 2,828,000 with 375,000 copies sold in Japan.

2012 Dark Souls Prepare to Die (PS3/PC) has sold a combined 2,765,000 with 145,000 copies sold in Japan.

2014 Dark Souls 2 (PS3/Xbox360/PC) has sold a combined 2,311,000 with 351,000 copies sold in Japan.

2015 Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin (PS4/Xbox One/PC) has sold a combined 600,000 with 70,000 copies sold in Japan.

So while DS1 is older and had more time to sell it clearly has sold a lot better than DS2 as of 6/2015, with 5,585,000 vs. 2,911,000 copies.

Source: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201506/30082036.html

Junkozeyne fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 6, 2016

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Those are certainly more up-to-date numbers than I've seen, though at this point I'm guessing that Scholar still has some fire in its ability to sell. From what you've said the majority of DS1's sales come from the Prepare to Die edition - did From put out that stuff out as a rerelease on consoles, or was it solely available as an expansion/DLC?

Edit: These are the numbers I was working with for DS1, which implies that the Prepare to Die edition sold the bulk of its copies in a long-tail fashion over time.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Junkozeyne posted:

2013 Dark Souls 2 (PS3/Xbox360/PC) has sold a combined 2,311,000 with 351,000 copies sold in Japan.

2014 Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin (PS4/Xbox One/PC) has sold a combined 600,000 with 70,000 copies sold in Japan.
Yo, you kinda need to add a year to both of those. Dark Souls II vanilla came out in March 2014. Scholar in April 2015 (unless I'm mistaken)

E: I think the source got it wrong too because I'm a 100% sure Dark Souls II came out in 2014, google confirmed this too.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

Those are certainly more up-to-date numbers than I've seen, though at this point I'm guessing that Scholar still has some fire in its ability to sell. From what you've said the majority of DS1's sales come from the Prepare to Die edition - did From put out that stuff out as a rerelease on consoles, or was it solely available as an expansion/DLC?

Edit: These are the numbers I was working with for DS1, which implies that the Prepare to Die edition sold the bulk of its copies in a long-tail fashion over time.

Uh, from what they said the original Dark Souls sold 2,828,000 while Prepare to Die sold 2,765,000. Those are seperate numbers, DS1 has sold a combined 5,585,000 so while it almost doubled the sales numbers it wasn't the majority. And yes, the Prepare to Die edition had a seperate release for the PS3 though I imagine the bulk of those 2,765million comes from the PC version.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yo, you kinda need to add a year to both of those. Dark Souls II vanilla came out in March 2014. Scholar in April 2015 (unless I'm mistaken)

E: I think the source got it wrong too because I'm a 100% sure Dark Souls II came out in 2014, google confirmed this too.

I just copied the numbers from the slide of their presentation but google tells me you are right and they apparently made a mistake.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Junkozeyne posted:

Uh, from what they said the original Dark Souls sold 2,828,000 while Prepare to Die sold 2,765,000. Those are seperate numbers, DS1 has sold a combined 5,585,000 so while it almost doubled the sales numbers it wasn't the majority. And yes, the Prepare to Die edition had a seperate release for the PS3 though I imagine the bulk of those 2,765million comes from the PC version.
I believe that I meant that to mean the majority of sales between the two reports we dug up. :doh:

But in any case, games will continue to sell years after the initial release dates, film at 11.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wait, DS came out on the 360 too. Did they forget to mention that or are they explicitly excluding those sales?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Sindai posted:

Wait, DS came out on the 360 too. Did they forget to mention that or are they explicitly excluding those sales?
The 360 releases were international only, since the console has markedly low popularity in Japan. But oddly enough, the PC port was available in Japan just like the PS3 releases. :shrug: Microsoft just hasn't done well marketing its consoles to the second most populous island in the world, which really makes you wonder. Hell, it's bad enough that (relative) blockbusters like Tales of Vesperia could actually cause a significant change in purchasing habits.

• Locked thread