Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Davros1 posted:

Whatabout Supes' "retirement"? And then they tried to replace him with not one, but FOUR fakes? Like anyone ever believed any of them were really him.

You think THAT'S bad, you don't even want to know how many Spidermans we had to deal with in this one storyline...

Jay 2K Winger posted:

What about the time they tried to change Supes' gimmick? It bombed big time.

This is the reason WWE never "freshens," Cena's gimmick. On the other hand, whenever Supers does a heel run in one of those Elseworld feds he always makes bank...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Davros1 posted:

Whatabout Supes' "retirement"? And then they tried to replace him with not one, but FOUR fakes? Like anyone ever believed any of them were really him.

This comment made me curious; aside from Doink the Clown (there were what, five or six guys that played him?) have there been other 'characters' played by more than one guy?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

LadyPictureShow posted:

This comment made me curious; aside from Doink the Clown (there were what, five or six guys that played him?) have there been other 'characters' played by more than one guy?

The Blue Blazer was Owen, Jeff Jarrett and Koko B. Ware.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LadyPictureShow posted:

The Masked Interns were played by a bunch of different people.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Sin Cara, Max Moon, and Demolition Smash.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

LadyPictureShow posted:

Tiger Mask, Conquistadors, Suicide, Patriot, Lord Humongous, Ultimate Warrior :smuggo:

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 4, 2016

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Los Conquistadores.

e:fb

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

LadyPictureShow posted:

Diesel and Razor Ramon

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Undertaker, Kane, Ultimate Warrior and Sting after the originals died

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Has Nakamura said anything about his debut match with Sami Zayn yet?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Octagon Jr for a very recent example.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The spoilers thread got me wondering about Bob Backlund: How big of a draw was he as champion?

It feels like history kinda views him as the transitional bridge between Bruno and Hogan, but he still held the belt for a long-rear end time, even though he doesn't really have the traditional ~look~ that Vince (or even Vince Sr.) wanted. Did he really draw well enough to merit holding the title that long? Or was this like a Benoit/Eddie 2004 situation where they just put the belt on the small workhorse fan-favorite until their next The Guy was ready?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Aesop Poprock posted:

Has Nakamura said anything about his debut match with Sami Zayn yet?

He's gone on record saying, "Strong style has arrived" and, "YeaOh!"

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wow, that's more guys than I expected. But I guess if you can slap a mask on a guy 'eh, they'll never notice'.

Benne posted:

Diesel and Razor Ramon

Wasn't that just mocking them after they went to WCW? Or am I misremembering?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

LadyPictureShow posted:

Wow, that's more guys than I expected. But I guess if you can slap a mask on a guy 'eh, they'll never notice'.

That was Vince making a play to prove that the WWF owned the characters so that Nash and Hall couldn't use the gimmicks in WCW. Also, failed attempt number one to make JR a heel for no reason.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

LadyPictureShow posted:

In revisionist history, yes, but at the time it seemed more like WWF dickswinging. I'm pretty sure if there wasn't the backlash that there was, we'd be seeing Corporate Diesel these days, and NJPW would be a much poorer place without Big Titan on their roster.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LadyPictureShow posted:

I was also Vince trying to prove that it was the characters, not the people portraying them, that was what got the fans interested. It backfired, obviously, but can you imagine if it didn't? Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels being a pain? Here's the new Hitman and HBK! Here's your new Sable! And Brock Lesnar! And Stone Cold, The Rock, and CM Punk!

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

LadyPictureShow posted:

In addition to the more traditional Mascarita Sagrada Jr. option (of which there are two), there are three Mascarita Sagradas and one Mascarita Sagrada 2000

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Davros1 posted:

I was also Vince trying to prove that it was the characters, not the people portraying them, that was what got the fans interested. It backfired, obviously, but can you imagine if it didn't? Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels being a pain? Here's the new Hitman and HBK! Here's your new Sable! And Brock Lesnar! And Stone Cold, The Rock, and CM Punk!
Onscreen, "Diesel" and "Razor" were purely a part of J.R.'s weird heel gimmick though. Like, it was meant to be obvious that they were fake, making the fans mad at J.R. for promising the real deal. It didn't "backfire" per se because the fans weren't meant to buy into it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

LadyPictureShow posted:

In CMLL, the current Mistico formerly wrestled as Dragon Lee. (There is a second Dragon Lee who has had a great series of match with Kamaitachi this year)

He's the third wrestler to use the Mistico name, though really the 2nd CMLL guy to do so.

The previous Mistico currently wrestles as Caristico. He was briefly known as Myzteziz after being released from WWE where he was Sin Cara.

The non-CMLL Mistico changed his name after a lawsuit, and eventually joined WWE as Hunico. After Sin Cara left, WWE renamed him Sin Cara and hasn't bothered to explain the difference. This is the current Sin Cara who teams with Kalisto.

Speaking of Kalisto, he initially wrestled as Samurai Del Sol. He was the original wrestler chosen for the Octagon Jr gimmick, but he shortly left AAA for WWE where he adopted Kalisto.

Octagon Jr. has recently come up again, because AAA tried to give the name to Flamita, but the original Octagon was not really happy about that. Octagon ripped the mask off at a book signing and introduced his own Octagon Jr who he claims is his son (despite reports of him only having daughters). Flamita gave up the name and left AAA as a result.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Part of it is in Mexico, they are really big into tradition, so there's a lot of attempts to get people over by reusing names or gimmicks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

EdsTeioh posted:

Lord Humongous
Besides this guy, some of the other gimmicks that were just ripoffs of movie characters were used by multiple wrestlers. Tommy and Doug Gilbert were both Nightmare Freddy, and several guys besides Super Leatherface did a Leatherface gimmick. And apparently Moffat lent out his Jason the Terrible gimmick to Doug Gilbert, and a couple other guys did it too.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 4, 2016

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Halloween Jack posted:

Besides this guy, some of the other gimmicks that were just ripoffs of movie characters were used by multiple wrestlers. Tommy and Doug Gilbert were both Nightmare Freddy, and several guys besides Super Leatherface did a Leatherface gimmick.

Yep. Fun note: The original Lord Humongous is a deputy sheriff where I live.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

When it was first announced it was a ratings gimmick to try to get people to tune in to Raw. This resulted in no change in ratings and a legal letter from WCW, so they shifted to what the characters became.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
What's the deal with polygonal names? I just started watching LU, and was mystified at the immediate gravitas given to a guy whose ring name is "five-sided polygon, son of five-sided polygon".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm curious about lucha names in general. I have no idea why a wrestler would name himself after Richard Wagner, or the battleship Bismarck, or what La Parka's name even means.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theyre cool

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm curious about lucha names in general. I have no idea why a wrestler would name himself after Richard Wagner, or the battleship Bismarck, or what La Parka's name even means.

"La Parka" means "the parka"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

DopeGhoti posted:

What's the deal with polygonal names? I just started watching LU, and was mystified at the immediate gravitas given to a guy whose ring name is "five-sided polygon, son of five-sided polygon".

Octagon got his name as a reference to this Chuck Norris martial arts movie. Pentagon originated as an evil mirror to Octagon. I'm assuming they chose a pentagon and not a hexagon or quadrilateral or whatever because a pentagon is like a pentagram so it's the most evil shape

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
edit: ^^

wasn't octagon's based on something to do with martial arts and the natural rudo mirror of him would be pentagon?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

DopeGhoti posted:

Original Pentagon was a foil to Octagon. Octagon was named after the Chuck Norris movie The Octagon since he was a martial arts dude.

E;FB

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

In terms of "multiple dudes in one gimmick" stuff, another good one was Chikara's Vokoder. He was a mystery man character who was originally Sami Callihan in an angle that would have made him a regular on the roster. Instead, he left early on and they changed the story so that Vokoder was really Tim Donst. The reveal made enough sense, but not as much as Sami would have.

Months later, a guy in the Vokoder gimmick showed up to mess with Donst and his stable as part of the whole Chikara vs. BDK feud. This led to a big 8-on-8 match between both sides where Vokoder was revealed to be Larry Sweeney in his final Chikara appearance.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jenny Angel posted:

Octagon got his name as a reference to this Chuck Norris martial arts movie. Pentagon originated as an evil mirror to Octagon. I'm assuming they chose a pentagon and not a hexagon or quadrilateral or whatever because a pentagon is like a pentagram so it's the most evil shape

Context is everything. Thanks!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

In terms of "multiple dudes in one gimmick" stuff, another good one was Chikara's Vokoder. He was a mystery man character who was originally Sami Callihan in an angle that would have made him a regular on the roster. Instead, he left early on and they changed the story so that Vokoder was really Tim Donst. The reveal made enough sense, but not as much as Sami would have.

Months later, a guy in the Vokoder gimmick showed up to mess with Donst and his stable as part of the whole Chikara vs. BDK feud. This led to a big 8-on-8 match between both sides where Vokoder was revealed to be Larry Sweeney in his final Chikara appearance.

This just made me think of the "Yeah, Toast!" moment from Sami

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This just made me think of the "Yeah, Toast!" moment from Sami

From the same match where Sami threatened to stab Icarus.

Edit: Speaking of Chikara and "multiple guys in the same gimmick" notion, dunno if it really counts, but there was also Equinox. First Equinox was a bumbling luchador jobber with a standing shooting star press that made it look like he was slipping on a banana peel. Then he was unmasked as Wrestle Factory washout Vin Gerard. Then Jimmy Jam Olsen donned the Equinox mask solely as a "mind games" angle in his feud with Gerard, though he didn't change his style at all.

Then later we got Equinox III (aka 3quinox), one of Kevin Condron's Greenhorn Militia who done got murdered by Deucalion's chokebreaker after having like one official match, albeit not in Chikara.

Jay 2K Winger fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 5, 2016

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Chikara has a lot of murders for a light hearted promotion :/

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Murder is whimsical.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

If it wasn't for murder, we wouldn't have Batman. Kids love Batman.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
When Chris Jericho first turned heel in WCW, he did several memorable things (List of 1004 Holds, introducing that cruiserweight battle royale, calling out Goldberg, Ralphus) and some less remembered things (taking trophies from opponents, becoming obsessed with the idea there was a conspiracy against him, using letter of the law loopholes to help himself stay champion, etc). I just randomly remembered that for a time, Jericho did this thing where he came out with different ridiculous hair each match, like a kind of 'fancy crazy messy'. Does anyone recall his reason for doing this? Was one ever given? I know he was doing this at least part of the time Ralphus was around: I remember a picture of Ralphus raising his hand as he made his entrance to defend his title at a PPV.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cornwind Evil posted:

When Chris Jericho first turned heel in WCW, he did several memorable things (List of 1004 Holds, introducing that cruiserweight battle royale, calling out Goldberg, Ralphus) and some less remembered things (taking trophies from opponents, becoming obsessed with the idea there was a conspiracy against him, using letter of the law loopholes to help himself stay champion, etc). I just randomly remembered that for a time, Jericho did this thing where he came out with different ridiculous hair each match, like a kind of 'fancy crazy messy'. Does anyone recall his reason for doing this? Was one ever given? I know he was doing this at least part of the time Ralphus was around: I remember a picture of Ralphus raising his hand as he made his entrance to defend his title at a PPV.

I think, and I could be forgetting too, but I think he was just loving around with his hair and it fit his whole 'loving nutbar' thing.

e: I actually did a search for 'Chris Jericho WCW Hair" and while I got no answers I did get this gold nugget promo I had to share since I totally forgot about loving Ralphus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssrjPCDAWa4

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Jericho's horrific hairdos always made me hate his guts, and then realize what an effective heel he was for it and love him more, and then remember his horrible hair and hate myself for loving him