Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Wes Ferrell is the most recent pitcher I know of who was actually good at hitting (.797 OPS). He started 13 games in the outfield one year, and then never played in the field again, although he did pinch hit a lot. And it wasn't because his teams had particularly good hitters on them.

Bob Lemon also only ever played a few games in the field. Don Newcombe never did. Neither did Mike Hampton. None of those guys had the chance to DH, but they weren't really good enough that they would have got the chance anyway. Man, pitchers really suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

I'm sure if Rick Ankiel didn't get the yips he could have done it. He could still throw strikes but he could only do it from deep centerfield.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dubious posted:

Phil Hughes sucks, god bless
Remember when he walked 16 dudes in a season and people tried to say he was good

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
If Pat Vendette was a starter, could he conceivably occupy 2 spots in the rotation, 1 for each arm?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Retail Slave posted:

We're 6 games up already. :stare:

Houston was 6 games up at this point last season and St. Louis was 6.5 up at this point. Milwaukee was 6 games up on May 3rd in 2014.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

If Pat Vendette was a starter, could he conceivably occupy 2 spots in the rotation, 1 for each arm?

He should also get two separate ERAs

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

It's not just arms that go into throwing pitches, it's the legs and hips too. Presumably he'd have to rest those anyway.

Plus what's the point of taking away Vendette's biggest advantage (being able to throw to both lefties as a lefty and righties as a righty)?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Houston was 6 games up at this point last season and St. Louis was 6.5 up at this point. Milwaukee was 6 games up on May 3rd in 2014.

Milwaukee's run differential was also +12 on May 3, 2014

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Harlock posted:

Remember when he walked 16 dudes in a season and people tried to say he was good

The more I look at that year, the weirder it gets. And then I scroll down his B-R page and get reminded of what we're on the hook for in 2017-2020. :smith:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

Milwaukee's run differential was also +12 on May 3, 2014

And the Rangers were +18 last year. The Cardinals were +16 in 2014. Orioles were +7 in 2012. :buddy:

But yes, we get it, the Cubs have murdered teams through 26 games.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Good lord, the Cubs' Pythagorean W/L is 22-4.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Micah Owings had an >.800 OPS in 200 odd PA, but was just a touch above rotation filler.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Walked posted:

He should also get two separate ERAs

Nah, I want to continue to get to drill down to the splits.

But, yeah, you get really tired from pitching 6+ innings. I doubt anyone could do it effectively ever 2 days or so.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

William T. Hornaday posted:

blow the team up, they're underachieving chumps.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

achillesforever6 posted:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/andrew-mccutchen-aims-frustration-at-official-scorer-after-error-221928664.html
God now people are going to call Cutch and entitled baby who shouldn't be complaining because he makes millions of dollars

He's right. There's no way in hell that should've been called an error. It hosed over both Cutch and Rizzo.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Shohei Otani DHs and hits in the middle of the lineup when he's not pitching
When he does come over to the US, I hope he signs with a NL team

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

William T. Hornaday posted:

The entire team allowing a .250 babip is going to have that effect, yes.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Fredi said either fire me, give me a vote of confidence or pick up my 2017 option.

Hmm. . . wonder which of those things the Braves are gonna do. . ..

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Clog the toilet. Not the basepaths.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Fredi said either fire me, give me a vote of confidence or pick up my 2017 option.

Hmm. . . wonder which of those things the Braves are gonna do. . ..

"We are confident that you will not be employed by us for much longer."

Hoekie
Apr 22, 2010

Tony Phillips posted:

Clog the toilet. Not the basepaths.

Never change Everett Herald.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'd be more worried about how somebody performs against offensive shits, personally

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

Poque posted:

I'd be more worried about how somebody performs against offensive shits, personally

well the Braves are 7-20

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I'm surprised the Cubs Pythag is only two games above their actual record considering their, what, +89 run differential?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Well it's not like they can lose a negative amount of games

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Ice To Meet You posted:

The entire team allowing a .250 babip is going to have that effect, yes.

What do you mean? This isn't a sustainable defensive performance?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

Veeck as in Wreck is excellent. I read it too slow to discuss it in the Offseason Book Club thread, but everyone is right for hyping it. It's the best.

EDIT: Also, Bryce Harper got some awards from the Negro Leagues Museum for some reason and I love the pictures. Look at that hair!!
http://twitter.com/nlbmprez/status/727837282967773185

How does he wear a hat

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

Veeck as in Wreck is excellent. I read it too slow to discuss it in the Offseason Book Club thread, but everyone is right for hyping it. It's the best.

EDIT: Also, Bryce Harper got some awards from the Negro Leagues Museum for some reason and I love the pictures. Look at that hair!!
http://twitter.com/nlbmprez/status/727837282967773185

How does he wear a hat

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

How does he wear a hat

very carefully

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

How does he wear a hat

Clearly he just gets increasingly bigger hats made which is also obvious proof that he's using PEDs.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Metsbros: goddamn is harvey fuckin garbage or what? Any idea what's going on with him? Thor and Co. are probably doing everything they can to stay away from him so the suck doesn't spread

I'm honestly loving the dingers or nothing offense though

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

I wonder why the other half of Jedward went undrafted.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Waffles Inc. posted:

Metsbros: goddamn is harvey fuckin garbage or what?

No.

quote:

Any idea what's going on with him?

No.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Waffles Inc. posted:

Metsbros: goddamn is harvey fuckin garbage or what? Any idea what's going on with him? Thor and Co. are probably doing everything they can to stay away from him so the suck doesn't spread

He's throwing a 4.76 ERA in only 6 starts. How are Mets fans out doom and glooming Cubs fans?

But yes, you guys should definitely DFA him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

He's throwing a 4.76 ERA in only 6 starts. How are Mets fans out doom and glooming Cubs fans?

Pitching this season has been a complete clusterfuck aside from a few dudes, it's amazing.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Send that bum to the Bronx.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Popete posted:

I have faith that he will get better, davecrazy is not the only Mets fan in existence :mad:

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

brandon moss hit a monster homer today

http://m.mlb.com/video/v660780683/phistl-moss-crushes-a-436foot-home-run/?affiliateId=clubMEGAMENU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'm about halfway through The Arm by Jeff Passan. It's pretty good and it has Todd Coffey's Obama tweets in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Harvey's SIERA is almost as bad as his ERA, so I'd be pretty alarmed if I was emotionally attached to him

• Locked thread