Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Regarde Aduck posted:

If Trump gets in we're all going to die. Cameron is small fry.

I thought our plan was that Trump will meet Corbyn and literally implode?

Edit: 27%, the vote share that I hope Zac Goldsmith gets in the first round of the mayoral election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/05/south-yorkshire-police-tried-to-spin-evidence-at-hillsborough-inquests

I swear every officer in South Yorkshire Police over 50 would be better off resigning and save everyone the hassle.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Regarde Aduck posted:

As terrified as I am of this man becoming president, he's far too stupid to understand the nuances of the US political system to actually get anywhere with his manifesto.

- His Wall over Mexico will literally help no one, will never be funded by either side of the border, and will be ineffective considering most illegal immigrants into the US are actually from India or China so good luck realising that too late and trying to move the wall to both east and west coast. I'm pretty certain the Senate even knows this and will not support such a plan since it will cripple trade and economic relations.

- He cannot fire government officials, in fact nobody can fire government officials from their jobs. They can only be impeached and that is only when an official is accused of unlawful activity like that one Kentucky clerk trying to stop gay marriages. Donald can fire people whenever the hell he wants in his own company because he's the boss, but he can't quite do that as the president so if anyone basically disagrees with him and actively blocks against him, he can't just say "you're fired" anymore.

- The entirety of the Republican party despise him and will not want to associate in any way with him, in fact most of them have already claimed fervently they will not endorse him and you can bet he will receive very few helpers or allies on his side for debates in the senate or White House. Once he no longer has the public able to speak for him in droves, he'll loving collapse when left to stand on his own.

I'm scared, definitely, but trying to be logical about the US process, I can see a lot of ways that he will basically impeach himself since he can't do anything on his own as president, you need to have the support of a few delegates or the senate and so forth right? The president on their own isn't actually that powerful other than signing off on final forms and being the face of the country. People like Reagan and Nixon were able to understand the political system and subvert it, manipulating it to their own campaigns. Donald is not smart enough to do this, he has shown no evidence of political intelligence when the majority of his campaign has been shouting and screaming whilst backed by an entire half of the country also shouting and screaming.

And his brand. Basically his brand.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 5, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Regarde Aduck posted:

its going to be amazing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesmerga posted:

'murder them all and make more savings' UKIP candidates.
I suppose murdering all police would be one way of making savings, but it seems a bit far outside the Overton window for a candidate to be publicly promoting it.

Personally I support reeducation over murder.

Steve2911 posted:

The only PCC option not affiliated with a party in my area was part of the 'Zero Tolerance Policing' group. I mostly voted because that sounds scary as gently caress and anyone else would be better.
Who (other than parts of America) still actually thinks Zero Tolerance works?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I suppose murdering all police would be one way of making savings, but it seems a bit far outside the Overton window for a candidate to be publicly promoting it.

Personally I support reeducation over murder.

you're making the mistake of people thinking it works and just wanting to punish people as much as possible

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

FinalGamer posted:

As terrified as I am of this man becoming president, he's far too stupid to understand the nuances of the US political system to actually get anywhere with his manifesto.

- His Wall over Mexico will literally help no one, will never be funded by either side of the border, and will be ineffective considering most illegal immigrants into the US are actually from India or China so good luck realising that too late and trying to move the wall to both east and west coast. I'm pretty certain the Senate even knows this and will not support such a plan since it will cripple trade and economic relations.

- He cannot fire government officials, in fact nobody can fire government officials from their jobs. They can only be impeached and that is only when an official is accused of unlawful activity like that one Kentucky clerk trying to stop gay marriages. Donald can fire people whenever the hell he wants in his own company because he's the boss, but he can't quite do that as the president so if anyone basically disagrees with him and actively blocks against him, he can't just say "you're fired" anymore.

- The entirety of the Republican party despise him and will not want to associate in any way with him, in fact most of them have already claimed fervently they will not endorse him and you can bet he will receive very few helpers or allies on his side for debates in the senate or White House. Once he no longer has the public able to speak for him in droves, he'll loving collapse when left to stand on his own.

I'm scared, definitely, but trying to be logical about the US process, I can see a lot of ways that he will basically impeach himself since he can't do anything on his own as president, you need to have the support of a few delegates or the senate and so forth right? The president on their own isn't actually that powerful other than signing off on final forms and being the face of the country. People like Reagan and Nixon were able to understand the political system and subvert it, manipulating it to their own campaigns. Donald is not smart enough to do this, he has shown no evidence of political intelligence when the majority of his campaign has been shouting and screaming whilst backed by an entire half of the country also shouting and screaming.

And his brand. Basically his brand.

He won't win the general election anyway. He squeaked out a win with the worst of the Republican base but has doubly alienated the independent/Democratic demographics in the process.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

quote:

America has the dubious distinction of being so rich and powerful that they can pursue failing policies longer and harder than any other country on Earth.

Marijuana legalisation gives me hope though

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I have 0 optimism for the results of these elections.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I have no optimism. Lay down in the street and die, everybody. Democracy was a bad idea.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Lord Lawson

Nigella's daddy. Former Thatcher chancellor of the exchequer. Big on privitisation. Majorly involved in a Brexit group and anti-global warming think tank.

He's a baddie.

Lisa Nandy MP

Shadow sec for energy and climate change (ooh maybe she'll clash with the knob listed above). Previously considered (along with every other MP) as a contender for leadership against JC.

Michael O'Leary

Look at this loving guy. Just look at him. Chief executive of Ryanair the budget airline that is awful. Predatory, exploitive, anti environment, anti union, anti legislation.

Benjamin Zephaniah

He is a nice and cool guy. Poet and writer. Here's a clip of him on Question Time in 2013 that could literally be from tonight's episode because it's all the loving same

Isabel Oakeshott

Co-authored "Call me Dave" (of DCFADP fame) and will therefore forever have a place in my heart. Counterpart: Daily Mail political editor.

Expect the climate to be on the cards tonight.
And the local elections
And the EU, as ever

Whatever happens, we all know the outcome TIBFJC. Come chat on #ukgoons where the political discourse is slightly better than This Week.

winegums fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 5, 2016

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

UKIP, to no one's surprise. Lib Dems didn't even bother with the PCC election here. Had UKIP, Tories, Labour and someone who wears a Lincolnshire flag badge unironically.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

He won't win the general election anyway. He squeaked out a win with the worst of the Republican base but has doubly alienated the independent/Democratic demographics in the process.
I'm hoping not, though Hillary's not exactly a respectable clean candidate either. In the end, it'll be voter turnout that kills the United States more than anything if all the cool young folks give up and stay in so all the old racist bastards get out and win, because that's what they've done for years and don't expect anyone to oppose them, ever.

So, for gently caress's sake, I hope ALL the people in America actually get out and vote.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's ok though, Trump loves Hispanics.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm intrigued by the idea of a taco bowl but it seems like after youve scooped out the filling theres no purpose to the edible bowl.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Trenchers and bread bowls are good.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

I'm intrigued by the idea of a taco bowl but it seems like after youve scooped out the filling theres no purpose to the edible bowl.

scooping, dipping, you can eat it

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Trump will spare the parts of the UK with golf courses

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

It's ok though, Trump loves Hispanics.

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/728300812099850240

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Drumpf will spare the parts of the UK with golf courses

So the UK will end up being just Aberdeenshire?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Then what is he eating? :ohdear:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

All we have to do is give him all the golf courses and we'll be safe

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
https://twitter.com/barneyfarmer/status/728303918996934656

i really like Barney Farmer

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Coohoolin posted:

ah salmond seems to have saved his country after all, who would've thought that what was previously assumed to simply be a politician pathetically taken in by a dubious billionaire was actually a cunning ploy to stave off annihilation

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Steve2911 posted:

The only PCC option not affiliated with a party in my area was part of the 'Zero Tolerance Policing' group. I mostly voted because that sounds scary as gently caress and anyone else would be better.

Same in Essex. Funnily enough there wasn't any mention of the "zero tolerance" bollocks in the local paper, he sounded quite reasonable there and I was thinking of putting him as second choice until I saw the ballot paper.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

kustomkarkommando posted:

Trump will spare the parts of the UK with golf courses
Didn't he just recently fire Scotland because they wouldn't let him bulldoze a national park to build another golf course and a hotel?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

Didn't he just recently fire Scotland because they wouldn't let him bulldoze a national park to build another golf course and a hotel?

I told you he will only spare the golf courses. Therefore if all available land becomes golf courses we will be protected

Its very simple

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Flatscan posted:

Same in Essex. Funnily enough there wasn't any mention of the "zero tolerance" bollocks in the local paper, he sounded quite reasonable there and I was thinking of putting him as second choice until I saw the ballot paper.

*Essex high five*

gently caress Essex.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
So it seems as if I have misplaced my passport, and I'm due to fly to the USA in 29 days. What are the honest chances of my actually receiving my passport back before I fly out if I can have the countersigned form and photos sent back super duper recorded delivery first thing on Monday morning?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Seaside Loafer posted:

Scotland fired Trump actually!

The Independent posted:

Donald Trump has been stripped of his role as a business ambassador for Scotland by Nicola Sturgeon, as the growing backlash against his comments about Muslims led to calls for a national boycott of his luxury golf resorts.

The billionaire was invited to join the GlobalScot business network in 2006, but the Scottish Government has said his call for all Muslims to be banned from entering the US meant he was “no longer fit to be a business ambassador for Scotland” and that his membership had been withdrawn “with immediate effect”.

A motion has also been lodged at the Scottish Parliament condemning Mr Trump and urging the public to consider boycotting his businesses. The US presidential hopeful owns the Trump International Golf Links and hotel in Aberdeenshire as well as the Turnberry course in Ayrshire.

Patrick Harvie, the Scottish Green MSP for Glasgow, said he had decided to take action against Mr Trump’s “increasingly fascist” public remarks. “Trump is now more than just a vulgar attention-seeker; he represents truly dangerous ideas, and should not be tolerated,” he said, adding that no “self-respecting person” would want to spend money in his hotels and at his golf courses.

TL;DR, he's not welcome back in Scotland and he's not getting any money from us. He's not banned completely from the UK but he most certainly will not be welcome anywhere north of the border.

It should however be beared in mind that the chief editor of the Aberdeen-based Press and Journal, is married to Trump's PR manager at the golf courses, so when they ran this article entitled "How Scotland will help me become president", there's PROBABLY some intentional bias going on there because he can absolutely gently caress right off.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 5, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

So it seems as if I have misplaced my passport, and I'm due to fly to the USA in 29 days. What are the honest chances of my actually receiving my passport back before I fly out if I can have the countersigned form and photos sent back super duper recorded delivery first thing on Monday morning?
If you've got the cash and can make a trip to London, you can get a same-day replacement IIRC.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

LemonDrizzle posted:

If you've got the cash and can make a trip to London, you can get a same-day replacement IIRC.

There's a few places you can get a one day passport, its gonna sting though, there are also one week fast tracks, which will also sting https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently/1-day-or-1-week-service

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

sweek0 posted:

It's primarily a capacity thing, but the shorter journey times will make a difference to all cities along the line, and even those along the old lines by creating additional capacity there. It will be built in stages, but the north will benefit even from just that initial London-Birmingham stage.

Well, yes, but that was the five second version.

Phoon posted:

London will see the most benefit - if they wanted to improve the economy of the midlands and north through transport infrastructure improvement they would improve local lines/trains

The economy of the Midlands and North would be hosed without North–South capacity improvements; something will have to give when the WCML reaches its maximum capacity, and it won't be the commuter services.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Use the post office check and send, they'll make sure there aren't any mistakes on the form that might delay things. I've never had it take more than a fortnight doing it that way.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

LemonDrizzle posted:

cash yes, but no holiday and no flexibility to get into the capital. I did check though

Flatscan posted:

Use the post office check and send, they'll make sure there aren't any mistakes on the form that might delay things. I've never had it take more than a fortnight doing it that way.

Just checked, I've applied online so this is also out of the question

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

cash yes, but no holiday and no flexibility to get into the capital. I did check though

Just checked, I've applied online so this is also out of the question

look for your closest place for it. mine is durham since i'm in newcastle and did it on a weekend last time iirc

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
So I went and spoilt my PCC ballot, and once again went for my labour councillor who actually lives around here and I know to that very high standard of a smile and a nod and a muted "morning" or "hiya". Might as well be on her staff at this rate. the parachuted tory candidate with the shiny leaflets turned up yesterday to ask if he could count on my vote. Wish I could claim to have said something witty, but just laughing derisively and slamming the door seemed a good enough move.

Then I went out to work and found some fuckwad had smashed windows on the caravan I have my lunch in and keep random bits in :( For a solid 15 minutes I was in full "hanging is too good for 'em" mode and that made me hate myself more. Hardly anything taken (swarfega. loving swarfega, and 2 walkie talkies, there's never anything of decent value kept there cause I always feared this) but the damage is gonna cost me a day to fix and probably more than a days wages in materials, then sorting out better security. These are the parts of self employment that suck balls.

Steve2911 posted:

*Essex high five*

gently caress Essex.

we should have a goon meet consisting of all getting on a national express the gently caress outta here.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The exit polls will be out after 10 right?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gort posted:

I threw up a little voting Lib Dem as my second choice for Police Commissioner.

I hope you got all the vomit in the box otherwise they might not count the vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haakman
May 5, 2011
RE: Passport chat

I was due to go to North Africa during the summer. Realised I had lost my passport. Had 3 days in which to find it. It hadn't expired or anything. Couldn't find it. Couldn't get a replacement. To confirm: They only do same day for renewals now, not if you have lost yours. Plus they are unhelpful on the phone.

• Locked thread