Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Mandator posted:

*breaks out in a rash thinking about manual labor*

oh i pretty much hate programming now. when i'm not at work, i like working in the yard and gardening and otherwise being as far removed from tech poo poo as possible. it's not exactly manual labor but it's satisfying and it's outdoors and it's about the furthest thing from starting at computer monitors all day and telling them how to do whatever inane bullshit i've been asked to work on that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

thathonkey posted:

oh i pretty much hate programming now. when i'm not at work, i like working in the yard and gardening and otherwise being as far removed from tech poo poo as possible. it's not exactly manual labor but it's satisfying and it's outdoors and it's about the furthest thing from starting at computer monitors all day and telling them how to do whatever inane bullshit i've been asked to work on that day.

here's a lil tip from a friend. be the dude who does the thing that only that dude can do

good luck and godspeed

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I'm about to graduate with a BS and no debt :smug:.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

A White Guy posted:

sounds like bs alright

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mandator posted:

sounds like bs alright

its actually really easy just be born rich. feels good man

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

A White Guy posted:

are you going to replace a 3-generations-deep local barber shop with an artisan water bar?

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Stinky_Pete posted:

are you going to replace a 3-generations-deep local barber shop with an artisan water bar?

ahem artisanal burger lab

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Mange Mite posted:

its actually really easy just be born rich. feels good man

maybe loan me a few thousand? i'm good for it....

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Buca di Bepis posted:

I guarantee you not a single person has actually been telling people to get liberal arts degrees for the last 10 years but millenials still whine about $200k college debts with no job prospects

lol buddy there was a poster in my HS guidance office in 2008 that was literally 'get any degree, it doesn't matter what, it is an investment in your future!' then it showed lifetime income of high school grads vs university grads.

I'm sure it is still there.

The fundamental problem is that instead of taking any responsibility or even acknowledging that there might be an issue, instead the blame just goes onto the young people for being 'lazy' and 'entitled.' Like holy poo poo what a perversion of 'the young people are our future we leave something good behind for them!'

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 5, 2016

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

The fundamental problem is that instead of taking any responsibility or even acknowledging that there might be an issue, instead the blame just goes onto the young people for being 'lazy' and 'entitled.' Like holy poo poo what a perversion of 'the young people are our future we leave something good behind for them!'

WHO. IS. GOING. TO. PAY. FOR. IT?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Mandator posted:

WHO. IS. GOING. TO. PAY. FOR. IT?

what is "it"?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Buca di Bepis posted:

no way is he actually telling you the truth, grad school tuition for Texas residents at UT Austin is $5k/semester and if you don't get a grant as an engineer you're loving up

non-resident is $9k

Well idk about that school but here's a typical UC breakdown per quarter (3 academic quarters per year):

Tuition (in state): $3740
Student Services Fee: $340
Health Insurance Premium (yeah it doesn't matter if you have your own private insurance lol you pay this): $551
Other Fees: $430 (Rec Center Fee, Parking Fee, whatever all kinds of bullshit)

For an in state undergrad, that's about $5k per quarter. So $15k per year just to attend, which is $60k for 4 years. Then you count cost of living, school supplies (loving books), rent, transportation, etc. Can easily get to $80k or more.

Hell between rent and cost of living you're easily shelling out another $1k a month easy (because of course they gouge the gently caress out of the rent prices because lmao gently caress you and also the same company owns all the apartment buildings anywhere near campus because lololo gently caress you x2).

Pulled directly from UCR's website if you want to look for yourself. And they are a cheaper one lmao. Then just to turn the screw they charge you interest while you're still in school.

e: oh also they charge you like $50-90 per class also when you register for most classes just because hahaha gently caress you pay us and you take 3-4 classes a quarter typically. the point here is that just looking at the straight tuition isn't very telling.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 5, 2016

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

mdm posted:

what is "it"?

Doesn't matter. Everything is money, even time, somebody has to pay for it and it ain't going to be me.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

mdm posted:

what is "it"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_k5CSYKhg

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
lol @ all the ownage

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Mandator posted:

Doesn't matter. Everything is money, even time, somebody has to pay for it and it ain't going to be me.

so you're mad about ghosts got it

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

mdm posted:

so you're mad about ghosts got it

Ghosts are what we call Millennials at work because they are lazy and never show up. Also, like ghosts, we don't believe in them.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mandator posted:

Ghosts are what we call Millennials at work because they are lazy and never show up.

This explains why my cranky old jewish boss is always complaining to someone about "spooks" when i walk by his door

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Mange Mite posted:

This explains why my cranky old jewish boss is always complaining to someone about "spooks" when i walk by his door

he's talking about the government, they finally found his gold and he is getting scared

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Mandator posted:

Ghosts are what we call Millennials at work because they are lazy and never show up. Also, like ghosts, we don't believe in them.

Look here millennials, this is how comedy is done.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

thathonkey posted:

im a millennial and i dont struggle for success

me either. i don't have it, and don't' feel like struggling for it either. who cares?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Moridin920 posted:

lol buddy there was a poster in my HS guidance office in 2008 that was literally 'get any degree, it doesn't matter what, it is an investment in your future!' then it showed lifetime income of high school grads vs university grads.

I'm sure it is still there.

I'm getting a phd in retard masturbation.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Dreddout posted:

you will be high in demand in three years when all the baby boomers are bedridden and obese

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

mdm posted:

you will be high in demand in three years when all the baby boomers are bedridden and obese

Lol, Baby Boomers won't be around in three years.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

thathonkey posted:

actually my dad was in jail until I turned 15, grew up on TANF with my mom and sister moving from shithole apt to shithole apt until dad finally got out of jail and was blacklisted from every job. the only thing i had handed to me was being lucky enough to spend summers with extended family who had a computer and they let me play with it and eventually after my dad started working again we were able to afford a family PC and he had a work-provided internet connection so i continued teaching myself how to program.

now i make 6 figures programming dumb bullshit and am almost done paying off all my college loans. i am married and we are hoping to start a family soon. i'm a first wave millennial though ('85)

I like how in the same post where you acknowledge getting handed TANF you say nothing was handed to you. lol loving millennials

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dreddout posted:

For most people that would just be a PhD in masturbation.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I've been gone for a while hopefully this is new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLpE1Pa8vvI

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Suffering is relative and not a contest, news at 11.

Anorexic Robot
Nov 11, 2012
How hard is it for people to realize that everyone is a loving loser

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Anorexic Robot posted:

How hard is it for people to realize that everyone is a loving loser

Very difficult, it would seem. Once you realize that the majority of humanity is as terrible at life as you, it clarifies a lot of things and frees you to get better or feel content with your lot.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I caught up with my high school valedictorian a couple days ago. We chatted a bit, talked about how I should go to school because she enjoyed it so much and it was so rewarding to complete her 4 year degree. Some how the bitch still got my order wrong and I had to go inside and speak to the manager. smh

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Starting at juniour high all the way through grade 12 being told "Go to university! you dont want to be flipping burgers for the rest of your life!', got a B.Sc. only to be told by a professors that having a B.Sc. is like having a highschool degree 20 years ago, people just expect it. Now I've been working at a company for a year now, still considered a "temp" working literally beside a guy who got full time position after being there a month because his wife already worked there. By work beside I mean we were actually working on the same thing together, doing the same job.

I've gotten arguments with someone who actually works at his father's company that nepotism is a thing. People get really offended if its implied that a large amount of luck got them where they are today, rather then just *~pure skill~* , as if Trump was born into a single mother house hold in government assisted housing he would still be in the same position today because he is just so drat savy.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Pvt.Scott posted:

Suffering is relative and not a contest, news at 11.

But if it was, I would be winning!

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
The answer to this question is quite simple, and can be found in the classic film "The Dark Crystal". There is a pivotal scene when the emperor of the Skeksis lies dying, and the remaining skeksis circle around him, plotting and scheming, figuring out how to get the scepter and screw over the other skeksis. The scheming skeksis represent the millennials. The dying emperor represents the baby boomers, like me. This scene teaches us a simple fact:

You fuckers are getting nothing until the last of us collapses, screaming and fighting, into a pile of dust and decay.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Volume posted:

I like how in the same post where you acknowledge getting handed TANF you say nothing was handed to you. lol loving millennials

yeah I like that too thanks for readnig my post

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

I too have a worthless degree, luckily my job paid for school. Unluckily it took 9 years to get and now I gotta go back for a trade degree!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

genesplicer posted:

The answer to this question is quite simple, and can be found in the classic film "The Dark Crystal". There is a pivotal scene when the emperor of the Skeksis lies dying, and the remaining skeksis circle around him, plotting and scheming, figuring out how to get the scepter and screw over the other skeksis. The scheming skeksis represent the millennials. The dying emperor represents the baby boomers, like me. This scene teaches us a simple fact:

You fuckers are getting nothing until the last of us collapses, screaming and fighting, into a pile of dust and decay.

I'm the last Gelfling in this analogy :3:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

genesplicer posted:

If I devour you, do I gain your mod powers?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Shnag posted:

Starting at juniour high all the way through grade 12 being told "Go to university! you dont want to be flipping burgers for the rest of your life!', got a B.Sc. only to be told by a professors that having a B.Sc. is like having a highschool degree 20 years ago, people just expect it. Now I've been working at a company for a year now, still considered a "temp" working literally beside a guy who got full time position after being there a month because his wife already worked there. By work beside I mean we were actually working on the same thing together, doing the same job.

Not sure why people think getting a B.Sc. will mean they won't be flipping burgers. After all you need a B.Sc. to get a foot in the door for flipping burgers. Teachers and parents need to stop saying this rubbish. People need to look at where the jobs really are and work towards them. There's even a lot of jobs that just take a year or two in a course to qualify for.

Of course millennials should just be developing a cult following on youtube/twitch or selling stuff on amazon. They you can make enough to buy some degrees. Or just become a drug dealer, it's been lucrative for the baby boomers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Devian666 posted:

Not sure why people think getting a B.Sc. will mean they won't be flipping burgers. After all you need a B.Sc. to get a foot in the door for flipping burgers. Teachers and parents need to stop saying this rubbish. People need to look at where the jobs really are and work towards them. There's even a lot of jobs that just take a year or two in a course to qualify for.

Of course millennials should just be developing a cult following on youtube/twitch or selling stuff on amazon. They you can make enough to buy some degrees. Or just become a drug dealer, it's been lucrative for the baby boomers.

no, trying to predict what the job market will be in even 2 years is a fools errand. just do whatever you want and resign yourself to whatever compensation you can get for it. better to be happy and poor than miserable and also poor

• Locked thread