Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SugarAddict posted:

That and the vertical dreads have a majority of their weapons forward and overlapping, meaning you can slice up cruisers and frigates very very quickly. Despite phasor beams being bugged they are probably the best weapon for space crows simply because of perfect accuracy and good range. Also, don't try putting missiles and other slow projectile weapons on drones, it turns out very terrible for the drones.

:psyduck:

Man, I should do another SOTS1 stream.

Probably in the next day or two to beat the Stellaris rush!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Moo2 feudal and uncreative. Do whatever else you want but that is a must.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Moo2 feudal and uncreative. Do whatever else you want but that is a must.

I can't get repulsive with this since it would exceed -10 points. How do I fix that?

And I got invaded and horribly murdered by turn 40

Try 2, Golams send 5 battleships with class 5 shields, neutron blasters, masses of interceptors, missiles, etc, and kill my entire fleet. Beam evasion does nothing against missiles, interceptors, and lucky shots. I only have class 1 shields and fusion lasers. And I spent 50 turns and about 80 spies just to steal supercomputers (the only thing I stole) which does nothing for the war effort, and the enemy has absurd number of spies and defense while they only need 3 turns with 5 spies to my 30 spies to steal the two or three techs that they don't have.

And both attempts were on average difficulty.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 09:08 on May 7, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I like that build.

I usually play with telepathic, prod +2 (or +1 with +1 espionage) - ground, rich home world and points. Gets me an unvetted win ~1/3rd the time and is crazy fun. No bullshit just go go go.

I like it because it forces me to muddle through a diplomatic mid game where I'm super vulnerable and stealing techs.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Lucky is terrible, and if you're going feudal you need to expand as quickly as possible, so the benefits of Rich Home World are minimal. I would switch out Rich and Cybernetic for +2 industry and switch Lucky for +50% growth.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'd honestly dump all of these in favor of lithovore, subterranean, and +50% growth. (And I guess the spare point would go to large world)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Market will fix it - Evon mini-LP. Second Verse (same as the first)

Starting things off, some idiot put a bunch of factories on prime agriland. It's gross, but we have to intervene after finding out what happens to space empires WITHOUT proper agricultural preparedness.

This time we're set up a lot more centralised. I'm sure things will go well.

Then the market attracts some leaders. 1/3 less pollution events, 15% production, and more positive events?

20% mining output for some tax cuts! See how things work when the market is allowed freedom from government intervention!

I what. Get out hippie! no-one wants your terraforming 'discounts'.

Will there ever be an end to them?

Hydroponic farms allow everyone to grow their own plants. Truly a triumph of individualism.

Another world that has living conditions as good as home, besides some excess gravity. This will make a great second industrial heart for the forces of Libertarianism! The market will cover its lands with dollars.

20 cycles after Liberatianism takes to the skies, we find someone new to free from the shackles of their money government.

They seem strangely familiar...

-_-

30% more slaves! 10% more trade, 17% more industry. What's not to like? (waits for the inevitable revalation of what he REALLY does)

To the north, we discover another species of alien. the Klackon. They are literally the worst, all following the word of their government without hesitation. So gross. An entire race of sheeple!

Several cycles later...

Flat research for tax. Nice. Guess he saw the Raas were a dead end.

We have a colony here with another alien race, the Nommo. To ensure system control, we 'suggest' that people migrate here. Government should only advise, it is up to the individual to put in the ground work. Who needs fat and expensive colony ships!

39 cycles after we take to the stars, we open up our first official diplomatic channels to further the trading interests of our peoples.

Buncha nerds instantly jump on Nommo facebook.

Honestly, what else did you expect me to ask for? the government exists to promote the interests of the people and their corporations, and nothing more!

They also agree that we should not fight. That makes things easier!

We ask the Klackon if they'd like to trade too. I mean, just because they're alien is no reason not to take their money.

Oh. and this is why I decided to outpost contest that system. it is the far base of a wormhole that leads to our core space. Without star lanes there, we risk being blocked from multiple potenital markets!

Well gently caress.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Some annotations:

Adevil Solaros: Pollution per population point is reduced by 1/3rd. That last bit is about research project delays. "Positive" means projects run faster instead of slower. He was an important leader from the 2nd Orionic Age, going under the name "Xantus" back then. It's rumored this guy was a descendant from a extinct subspecies of the Antarans.

Rospasles Esjrali -One of the strongest Grendarl ever! He decided he wanted to fight the ground instead of soldiers. He is strong enough he can destroy raw iron ore with his bare hands.

Rishtaa Taaltol: +15% food production. He was some kind of freedom fighter against the Antarans, finding ways to make more food for the Sakkra than the Antarans could steal.

Uldtitr Gokoni: Likes to pretend to be a god. Was known for visiting many races. If you are religious, think about this guy showing up pretending to be Jesus. Are you feeling sick yet? Again, more food (+20%!), the happyness generated by entertainment DEAs gets a 10%-boost and pollution is reduced by 15%. This time only by a flat amount instead of being population-related.

Chondote II has neural parasites. Good luck with that whole "industrial heart"-thing. :v:

Nisiu Ra actually gives +30% imperial taxes, not slaves. The rest is true. In an earlier age, Nisiu Ra was called Grogg. He was called "Gnolam-Capitalist" for his love of money. He is basically McDuck and even other Gnolams asked him to turn it down a notch. He stumbled upon a secret stasis project and so survived what happened between Master of Orion II and III. Now he is back and greedy as ever!

Athakoth Sago is another Sakkra. He saw the Sakkran fleets wiped out by the Antaran Great Black Fleet, even though they outnumbered them greatly. Following that disaster, the Sakkra vowed to steal more tech until they could fight back on even footing. Considering the description, I can only assume he gives you that research bonus by outfitting fleets to hunt down and interrogate alien scientists. I guess the tax losses are you paying for that.

The Nommo actually tell you they like you, thanks to that economic treaty making your relations better. But as you learned soon after that, them being nice doesn't necessarily means something. :v:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Libluini posted:

Some annotations:

Adevil Solaros: Pollution per population point is reduced by 1/3rd. That last bit is about research project delays. "Positive" means projects run faster instead of slower. He was an important leader from the 2nd Orionic Age, going under the name "Xantus" back then. It's rumored this guy was a descendant from a extinct subspecies of the Antarans.
Details details :p

quote:

Rospasles Esjrali -One of the strongest Grendarl ever! He decided he wanted to fight the ground instead of soldiers. He is strong enough he can destroy raw iron ore with his bare hands.
He is the true mining machine

quote:

Rishtaa Taaltol: +15% food production. He was some kind of freedom fighter against the Antarans, finding ways to make more food for the Sakkra than the Antarans could steal.
Technically actually better than I thought. Given the uh. issues. I had with food last time.

quote:

Uldtitr Gokoni: Likes to pretend to be a god. Was known for visiting many races. If you are religious, think about this guy showing up pretending to be Jesus. Are you feeling sick yet? Again, more food (+20%!), the happyness generated by entertainment DEAs gets a 10%-boost and pollution is reduced by 15%. This time only by a flat amount instead of being population-related.
omnomnom.

quote:

Chondote II has neural parasites. Good luck with that whole "industrial heart"-thing. :v:
RIP!

quote:

Nisiu Ra actually gives +30% imperial taxes, not slaves. The rest is true. In an earlier age, Nisiu Ra was called Grogg. He was called "Gnolam-Capitalist" for his love of money. He is basically McDuck and even other Gnolams asked him to turn it down a notch. He stumbled upon a secret stasis project and so survived what happened between Master of Orion II and III. Now he is back and greedy as ever!

While I'm sure this is horrible to the libertarian mindset, that is super useful.
well, if there wasn't a level of arcanistry out there in the finance systems

quote:

Athakoth Sago is another Sakkra. He saw the Sakkran fleets wiped out by the Antaran Great Black Fleet, even though they outnumbered them greatly. Following that disaster, the Sakkra vowed to steal more tech until they could fight back on even footing. Considering the description, I can only assume he gives you that research bonus by outfitting fleets to hunt down and interrogate alien scientists. I guess the tax losses are you paying for that.

The Nommo actually tell you they like you, thanks to that economic treaty making your relations better. But as you learned soon after that, them being nice doesn't necessarily means something. :v:

And it was the Klackon who declared on us. did I get the screenshots mixed up. Remembering what I need to capture at the time is hard work. I'd be properly ashamed if this was a proper effort LP rather than just a comedy mini-LP.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

And it was the Klackon who declared on us. did I get the screenshots mixed up. Remembering what I need to capture at the time is hard work. I'd be properly ashamed if this was a proper effort LP rather than just a comedy mini-LP.

No, I was reffering to the Klackons accepting your trade treaty and declaring war in the same turn. The AI will do this poo poo over and over again. Even race relations can't explain this behaviour and sometimes you are glad if you can at least see some reason to the AI's decisions, like with my Raas: It dawned on me over the course of this game that they may be angry with us because we boxed them in rather badly.

Then again we did the same thing to the Imsaies and they're the Silicoids best friends now. Diplomacy, like spying, can be quite infuriating in MO3, is what I'm saying. After a while, you'll grow numb to the AI sending nice messages and snapping at you in the same goddamn turn. :shepface:

Edit:

So the Nommo telling you how nice you are doesn't mean anything, they still could declare war on you next turn for no goddamn reason

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ahh. It did that in vanilla too. I may actually have the bugs boxed in. So it's possible. Or they just hate us for our fat stacks of cash we can't do anything with and lawless society.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Master of Orion III: ULTIMATE Edition

Chapter 16: The Psilon Conflict

Our fresh counter-terrorist is now available. Also, the loving Klackons wasted no time on declaring war. :argh:

Insectoids at WAR

Even though the Klackons still have to fight their way through at least two more Psilon-systems to get to us, I’m taking no chances this time. A fast look at our border colony in the Cokanuk-system shows we’re five turns from finishing ground batteries.

With interstellar travel being as slow as it is, we can easily fortify the Cokanuk-system before the Klackons can get here. Unless the Psilons suddenly collapse, that is.

In preparation for what our future will bring, I’m putting down more carriers on Almandin IV’s shipyards.

I had already started to build some civilian ships on our capital, but the new threat on the horizon makes it more important to crush the Raas as fast as possible. One of my planned colony ships gets moved out of the way for another Rammstein-short range cruiser.

Dromos is our point of contact with the Klackons. They have taken over one of the Psilon-planets in this system. And seeing that force difference makes me fear for the other two.

After Dromos, the Psilons will be reduced to the four planets in the Tali-system next to Cokanuk. Minus some leftovers, maybe. poo poo!

Something I could have done earlier, but was too lazy to do: Looking at things from the Psilon’s perspective. The Soriane Empire is apparently part of the New Orion Senate, considering they’re in contact with tons of people we haven’t met yet.

The Psilons are in an alliance with the Kairenieo (which we now know are Eoladi), the Eadinel (Evon) and the Filovinkhal (Humans). Their enemies are legion: Klackons, Tachidi (from the Dzazatar Empire) and Sakkra (the Farat).

The only other dangerous fuckers missing in that line-up are the “New Orions”. But the New Orions are preoccupied with leading the Senate and slowly rebuilding their strength. If one of those poor fuckers oversteps their bounds they get a visit from them, though. New Orion “policing actions” are a sight to behold, considering they start the game at tech level 20 (vanilla, here it’s closer to 40) when everyone else starts a 1. They also have multiple worlds and lots of ships at game start, for reasons we’ll explore in lore updates.

The “New Orions” are a menace. One we can’t take on right now, so let’s hope they shoot some Klackons for us. Thank god they're not really into that whole colonization-thing, or they'd be more dangerous than the Ithkul.

But yeah, the Psilons are in a ton of trouble and we have no time to deal with that poo poo. So instead I’m sending them fighter fusion bombs to gently caress up Klackon ships, mobile infantry to gently caress up Klackon ground troops and automated factories so their dwindling number of planets can actually get a chance to build new carriers and ground units.

Secure in the knowledge the Klackons inexorable advance will suddenly slowdown in the future, I’m taking a look at one of our newer colonies: Innar I is in the same system as poor, bombed-out Innar II, but it is small and extremely lovely. Also toxic. Silicoids hate to live on this planet and it won’t be very productive, but it’s incredibly mineral rich. Ideal to supplement future industrial centers like Innar II.

The Dila Empire won’t stop attacking us, seriously abusing the fact their home system is just next door to Innar. Another squadron tries to break through our frontlines. Can the 1st Royal Fleet defend the system?

More fighting above Innar II

Yes it can. The Raas get hosed.

Looks like our last diplomatic endeavors ended in failure: The Klackons don’t want a NAP. Also, of course the Raas didn’t just give their most hated enemy free stuff.

Two new colonies join us in the same turn. And an enemy terrorist rolls one of his more critical successes: The population of Innar II got poisoned by a psychotropic drug. The planet’s performance in everything it needs population for suffers: Collecting minerals and producing food, industry and research. All down.

The AIA in retaliation kills another spy of the Dila-Empire.

For a couple turns I started doubting all that crazy spy activity could be done by the Raas alone, but every loving time my secret service kills an enemy spy, it turns out to be a Raas spy. So I guess the Raas-AI hates us just that much, eh?

According to our main ledger, intra-civilization trade has risen up to 172 Antaran Units per turn. Now that’s actually pretty drat good! Making the Imsaies our friends continues to pay off. (Quite literally.)

More intrusions by the Raas follow, but it’s only some slow transports.

The Raas see our fleet rushing down on them and immediately retreat back into hyperspace.

Turn 65 begins and the news are mostly good: We get a smaller, lighter version of our FTL Drive, our Imsaies-friends from the Annalona Empire agree to another offer by us and our military forces tell us about our “victory” in the Innar-system.

The Psilons suddenly offer us a trade treaty! I’m surprised. Then I see they’re down another world to only 7 now and I understand. They’re desperate for friends.

The Imsaies formally agree to open their borders for better trading. Our borders do the same for them, of course.

If the Imsaies ever turn on us, we better close our borders again fast, or hordes of spies will use this against us! Then again, we can do the same as long the borders are open. Our spies are poo poo, but against a really small and weak empire they can still do a lot of damage.

Our research levels are ranging from 15-18 and this means the next tier of techs comes rolling in. (A lot of useful stuff waits at level 18 in Energy, Mathematics and Physics.)

The Gravitonenfeldschim/Graviton Field Shield was the boring “Class II”-shield in vanilla. In Ultima Orion, the translators put another Perry Rhodan-reference in here. At least I think it was one, but it was ten years ago and Perry Rhodan has tons of different energy shields, OK?

I did not much more than slightly orionifying the translation.

GF-shields posted:

Over the entire ship dispersed projectors create a protective field of gravitons around the hull and absorb a part of the damage which otherwise would hit the armor. It is like being surrounded by a sphere of protective gravity, but it sounds more impressive as it really is. So be careful!

This will be so dated if it ever turns out gravitons don’t actually exist. :v:

Jäger-Minenwerfer/Fighter Mine Launchers are tech exclusive to the mod. They exist because the modders wanted mines in Master of Orion III but apparently the only way to make it work was giving fighters the ability to shoot them like weapons.

Space fighters armed with this weapon will shoot out small homing pellets when they get close to enemy ships. The mines do less damage than fusion bombs, but shield power is reduced by an impressive 50%, so when the Raas ever start using energy shields, we have another surprise waiting for them! :kheldragar:

“As always, the cruiser isn’t enough for our admirals anymore . A bigger ship is needed! Luckily our engineers aren’t born yesterday and have already drafted a design. The new Heavy Cruiser is 50% larger than the normal cruiser. Hopefully this is now enough!”

Translating sayings and expressions is just the worst. I live in constant fear of slipping up one day and accidentally using the wrong English expression for whatever German one I want to translate. Also secret pro-tip if you want your texts to be easily translatable: Don't use sayings and proverbs. Ever

UV-Laserstrahler/UV-Lasers are like lasers, but awesome. Using ultraviolet radiation instead of whatever normal lasers use, these things can burn like hell. Low damage, but really long range. They’re also rather precise, so a good choice for point-defence.

“Our enemies will probably complain about the rising number of sunburns. They should just use more lotion if they want to fight us.”

Gebäudeabschirmung/Shielded Structures is a new system to construct small local shield generators everywhere in a region. It minimizes damage by orbital bombardment and collateral damage by ground fighting.

We’re lucky: Standard-sized shield generators were rolled in the same level as the tier 2 shields, so not only do we get better shields, we can also immediately generate even stronger shields by using larger generators.

In vanilla of course you have standard shield generators by default, this is one of the larger tech-changes in the mod, since now you have to sometimes wait until level 18 to get standard-sized generators.

Does anybody remember that insane idea by George W. Bush jr. to use giant space mirrors to redirect sunlight? Well, this is the same thing, but it uses fancy hyper super tech from the far future, so maybe this time Sunlight-Redirection will actually work and change climate for the better.

This tech allows better and slightly cheaper terraforming. With this we can push all our yellow worlds into green, red into yellow and green into “Jewel”.

This time around the Raas’ timing is slightly off: Their next invasion fleet arrives the same turn our retaliation fleet arrives. Now they’re not only technologically inferior, but are also facing superior numbers!

Hasty retreat

Galactic cycle 99: Our Kingdom started travelling through interstellar space nearly a full space century ago. This turn aggravates us with delays: A positive one for a weapon miniaturization tech we will never use and a negative one for heavy cruisers. 4 turns more waiting time for the research project to finish.

Protesters sometimes hate the weirdest poo poo. In this case, they may have a point, since larger space ships are also more expensive for the tax payer.

A new holiday center on Almandin II suddenly exploded and again unrest is stirred up among us. Two spies are still hiding out.

I guess the last spy killed was an espionage hacker or something, considering no-one steals our techs anymore.

Catalyst Processing is a game changing tech. Except for poor bastards with less than half our worlds who are also in the process of being eaten by insects. Now the Psilons will receive it as another gift, so they can use less minerals when building their new carriers.

While the Psilons fight a proxy war for us, it’s time to deal with our other enemies: A squadron of Rammstein-cruisers and a squadron of Hammer-carriers makes their way to Deanton. 8 ships is twice as many than the Raas have send to Innar, but then again Innar is still a backwater, while Deanton is the core of the Dila Empire.

1st Fleet will remain in Innar as protection against further attacks.

This is because of the way star lanes work: When two fleets pass each other in hyperspace, they won’t interact with each other. So if we were dumb enough to send in everything, the Raas could just send another fleet and they would get at least 4 turns of bombing the poo poo out of Innar again while we slowly travel back to make them stop.

So every assault on an enemy star system needs a strong enough back up to destroy forces already on their way through the star lane, or forces starting after you launch your own attack.

Even after sending eight ships out, there are still 10 left: The four of 1st Fleet and 3 in each transport squadron. In case something goes wrong, I will wait 1-2 turns before sending through the transports.

Believe me, it’s always better to keep your transports at least one step behind your main fleet.

And right after I say this, the Raas attack again. Luckily 1st Fleet is strong enough to make them flee immediately. 1st Fleet is also fast enough to get some hits in before they can jump (see that red number).

Next: Head, meet desk.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Apparently the Klackon just love being at war with people!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

my dad posted:

I'd honestly dump all of these in favor of lithovore, subterranean, and +50% growth. (And I guess the spare point would go to large world)

I kind of figured that if they were going Feudal/Uncreative that they were intentionally picking a crippled race for laughs.

(For those of you who haven't played MoO2: by default you only get to have about 1/3 of the tech tree. If you're "Creative", an extremely expensive racial bonus, you get to have the whole tech tree (with three applications per tech advance). If you're "Uncreative", you don't get to pick which third. Normally when you pick a field you have an option of 3 advances that is The One You Get; you then trade or spy for the rest and hope other races picked differently.)

I've always been terrible at MoO2 but this thread got me to re-try it along with MoO1. This time I actually read some strategy articles first and talked with other players as I worked through it.

Easy, medium map, 4 opponents, pre-warp, stock Psilons (a Creative race with massive science bonuses, that suffers for it with horrible production and ground-combat penalties that getting All The Production Boosting Techs Alongside Your Weapons helps compesnate for). No habitable planets in range or alien contact for 120 turns, at which point I learn that that (a) you can use outposts to extend your scout range and (b) you can put outposts in asteroid belts and gas giants. This gets me contact with the Gnolam and two colonizable worlds! ... one of which is guarded by a Space Dragon and one of which is Orion itself. Fortunately by then I had the spare capacity to whip up a respectable fleet of missile boats to take down the Dragon and settle the fantastic world it guarded. That gave me two core worlds, and I was able to spread out to meet everyone else along the way.

Sakkra had more or less colonized the entire galaxy at that point with lovely worlds they hadn't properly developed, so now that I had decent across-the-board ships and production, I went into maximum genocide mode. The Trilarians and Mrrshan fell almost instantly, with one hilarious side effect - the Trilarians managed to conquer one of my barren worlds while I was taking their home system. After conquering the home system, their only remaining world was a no-food-available planet full of unassimilated Psilons. Two turns later and they revolted, reverting to my control and destroying the Trilarian Empire. (I did not get credit for wiping them out. Glory to the Revolution instead of the Imperium, I guess.) The Sakkra had decent beam weapons but couldn't match my production or ground-invasion tech, but they offered a peace treaty partway through thanks to space eels showup up and wrecking both our regions and which we were unable to stop. We then spent 40 turns teching up and producing up enough to be able to actually clean out the space eels, and then continued our war of extermination once that was sorted out. They took out the Gnolam while I was rolling up their home space, and then it was all over.

The first war was fought with my Merculite Missiles vs. their Neutron blasters; the last one was fought with Graviton beams (both of us) and (on my side) MIRVed Pulson Missiles.

Total time spent: 3.5 hours and about 375 turns. Looking at other runs, that's a hellaciously sickly victory, but I'll take it.

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

Libluini posted:

Two new colonies join us in the same turn. And an enemy terrorist rolls one of his more critical successes: The population of Innar II got poisoned by a psychotropic drug. The planet’s performance in everything it needs population for suffers: Collecting minerals and producing food, industry and research. All down.

Ah yes, that famous drug that can get space crystals high

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

BoredDG posted:

Ah yes, that famous drug that can get space crystals high
Yes. They call it...

Crystal Meth.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
I just learned something fun in MoO2. Apparently if you start the game with lithavore, you can trade it in during the evolutionary mutation upgrade and get more points :unsmigghh:.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I went for a lot of population boosts, aquatic etc.

Turns out that it doesn't matter if you can outproduce the enemy if you can't hurt the enemy. A single Psilon Battleship ruined me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oof, getting pincered in an early war. Hope you can end things with the lizards soon before the bugs come calling.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Oof, getting pincered in an early war. Hope you can end things with the lizards soon before the bugs come calling.

At least the Raas are totally harmless. It'll just take some time to reduce them, considering there are one or two things I keep forgetting when dealing with those fuckers.

:suicide:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Time for some more Master of Orion: History Hour!

Lore 04: The Speed of Light

The one thing inhibiting the expansion of all the Travelers and Exiles was light speed. Up until then, even with the great advances from Center One's civilization and additional discoveries made by the tribes' scientists, exceeding the speed of light and traveling through hyperspace remained a mystery. Slower-than-light travel made colonization and expansion difficult, for it took many months just to travel within their own systems, much less to neighboring stars. Here the Mizara had the advantage, for even with STL travel, the stellar density in the core was such that neighboring stars were rarely more than one or two Galactic Cycles distant at high sub-light speeds. Thus they were able to expand quickly, discover their neighbors who had been similarly exiled, and band together. Not so for the other Travelers, who frequently had to travel at least four to six Cycles to find any nearby star systems at all, much less any suitable for colonization.

This slow tempo of expansion affected the way their civilizations viewed the timing and pacing of cultural advancement. They developed an incremental approach to societal evolution, avoiding rapid cultural shifts and socio-political upheaval by improving their civilizations gradually.

Historical Note: This "Social Incrementalism" theory is based largely on what was discovered about other STL empires of this period that developed but did not survive. Common among their ruins was a pattern of rapid technological advancements that ended abruptly amid relics of warfare and civil breakdown. The hypothesis was that, because their cultural development was more transitory than long-term, each of these civilizations "went nova" and burned itself out after a bright but brief period of time.

But science marched inexorably onward, and soon the remaining Travelers discovered the secrets of faster-than-light travel and the use of hyperspace. This led to a rapid drive for expansion and colonization among all the Travelers, who were eager to spread out into the stars and find their lost brothers, wherever they might be. However, for centuries the Travelers expanded alone, finding no traces of those who had left Center One with them. Some found the remains of failed Traveler groups; others discovered primitive species who were nowhere near as advanced as they themselves were.

Historical Note: It was fortunate that, during this time of FTL expansion, the Mizara had not yet discovered the secret of FTL travel. This is not surprising, for the majority of the original population of the fragmented Mizara colonies consisted of the extreme lower class of society, not the most brilliant of scientists and engineers. As a result, their scientific progress was considerably slower than that of the other Travelers.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It makes for a run middle game when you can get curb stomped if you are unlucky. It prevents the sameness that can plague Moo2.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Eh alter was ist los. Raus mit dem updaten, unsichtbarer!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Shbobdb posted:

Eh alter was ist los. Raus mit dem updaten, unsichtbarer!

His last post was on the 9th of May, I assume that his soul was lost to the demon that is Stellaris for the time being. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sorry. Stellaris was released and I've been playing it basically non-stop during my free time. I'm still occasionally working on the next update, though. After last week, it's already halfway finished!

:v:

Ironically, I planned to post the next update on Saturday, but then some modding-related bullshit happened with Stellaris and I spend hours upon hours making my custom portraits work. Now that's finished and my mod is working fine, but the weekend is over. But don't worry, I'll try to push out some new updates throughout the next week!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Assuming you donj't fall into another Stellaris shaped hole.

I know that threat well.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for the long wait, but I finally finished the next update!

Chapter 18: Really Small Setbacks

Ugh, after a week of playing Stellaris like a madman, time to go back to business: This turn of Master of Orion 3 starts with protests. Fighter Mines are delayed 4 more turns. But we got the fighter garrison faster then we thought! Yay!

On a more shady front, we get a new agent for the AIA: Nummer 2 (“Number 2”) joins up!

Dinosaur saboteurs strike! One of our regional planetary forts gets blown up.

All our core worlds are producing military ships now.

Cycle 102: Our Imsaies-friends accept more friendly diplomacy, the Dila Empire continues to annoy us and space pirates haunt Seginus II.

Just after I lined up some new local anti-ship batteries for Seginus II, the saboteur destroys the regional batteries on Kled II, too. I just wish my own spies would be that effective, but alas… :shrug:

It has been two turns since our invasion fleet launched towards Deanton, so I decide it is time to send our two armies after them. They’ll arrive after I’ve cleaned up at least one planet for them. Well, or at least they’ll avoid annihilation by not arriving at the same time as our other ships.

The Imsaies are happy to accept better trading. (The message is a repeat of earlier ones, so I won’t translate it again.)

Trade income is a nice 188 AU now.

Number 2, the Terrorist I kept forgetting to show off. Another one is being trained right now, just in case.

Turn 69: Heavy Cruiser and UV-Lasers are entering the prototype-stage, while more diplomatic messages are coming in.

And that’s already the end for good news this turn: Another holiday center explodes on Almandin IV and schemers are generating unrest.

Matar-B, an Imsaies-system, has been explored. The next system over seems to be unknown to both of us, so I’m sending our plucky little scout in.

Matar-B has only one single planet colonized by the Imsaies, and even a really good and mineral rich-one still unclaimed. Since we and the Imsaies are best buds, I’m taking a chance and mark Matar-B III for us. It’ll probably too far away to get to in time, but hey, miracles happen sometimes, you know?

Our reserves have filled up with enough ships for two more squadrons and another army. Too bad you can’t mix squadrons, or I could make the next step up on task force sizes: The flotilla. But you need at least five ships of the same type for that and we don’t have enough carriers or short range ships.

In vanilla, a flotilla only needs 4 ships of the same type as minimum, but in Ultima Orion, the maximum possible task force sizes are all way higher and the smaller task forces sizes have been adjusted accordingly.

Vanilla allows you to put up to 18 ships into a task force, which can be a bit stifling in the late game, especially since a maximum of 10 task forces per battle is hard coded. UO allows up to 32 ships, but the TF-graphics get gunked up by that pretty hard: A 32 ship task force looks like a continuous ring of ships mushed together. Those ships doughnuts look pretty drat silly.

So I used the patcher and adjusted the maximum size to a slightly less retarded looking 24 ships. The smaller TFs are still adjusted upwards however, but they don’t look hilariously bad so I don’t care.

Speaking of TFs, our Task Forces still haven’t gotten to Deanton yet. At least our allies have send a carrier-division to help us out. A single carrier. With starting game techs. Welp, the thought is what counts, right? :shepface:

The text says the Klackons are worrying about us, which is sweet. Less sweet are the sanctions they’re declaring against us. At least trade sanctions against someone you don’t trade with are 100% useless, so this is just some prodding to make us angry. If we were AI, it would work like a charm!

I’m kind of moved by the Klackon’s concerns, so I answer in my own way: The Psilons get our fighter garrison tech, so they now can use the fusion fighter bombers they got from us as a nasty surprise against Klackon-invasion forces. Even without carriers!

I wish it were possible to send a custom-message back to answer the Klackon’s concerns. Something like “Don’t worry, we got this!”. I guess ominous silence has to do it instead. :shrug:

By now we have literally every possible trade treaty expansion from the Imsaies, so I’m changing tracks and ask our allies to improve our research treaty.

The void inbetween turns beckons and it is time: The battle for Deanton waits!

This window is available when you drop into an enemy system and select “Storm Planet”. Here you can select which planet you want to attack, which is quite handy to target weak points in an enemy system. In this case Deanton II is the only planet without nasty defenses, so I’m trying to make our beachhead here.

:siren: Wait what? :siren: Well, this could have gone better. At least we didn’t lose every ship, which is what would have happened if we had allowed the AI to fight for us.

Or maybe not. The vanilla AI would have just fought and lost every single ship, but the new and improved AI tends to run away pretty drat fast sometimes. On the other hand, our fleet was vastly outnumbered but technologically superior, so god knows what the AI would have decided. Generally it’s a bad idea to leave important battles to the AI, a player should just learn to delegate in later games.

There’s always the option of going completely insane trying to fight 101+ battles each turn, but I don’t recommend it. Especially not for Americans. I heard your weird healthcare system is really bad, so you probably don’t want to get committed. I imagine it’s really expensive without a proper healthcare system paying for it.

Good: We can now build heavy cruisers and UV-lasers.

Bad: Our invasion of Deanton failed and our fleet lost half of its ships.

Worse: A Spy-Hacker has collapsed the stock exchange on Kled II. Riots erupt! Luckily we’re Silicoids, so “Riots!!!” translates to some bankers grumbling a bit.

Turn 70 wasn’t good to us, but I have plans do deal with this unexpected setback. Also, we’re two turns away from upgrading our shield generators! With tier 2 shields and larger shield generators, there’s nothing preventing us from going back and winning!

Apart from rebuilding our entire fleet since we can’t retrofit, that is. :v:

Our second-rate colonies are slowly climbing upwards on the totem pole: Cokanuk is 6 turns from finishing a small local defense unit, Almandin VI is 4 turns from finishing its first shipyard upgrade and Innar II has recovered enough the mobilization center is only twenty turns from being completed, instead of some silly high triple digit number.

The recent defeat has messed up our frontlines somewhat. Our surviving carriers will travel back to Innar without allowing me any input. At least this means our defenses at Innar will be doubled in strength while I rebuild our fleet.

Our transport fleets are still in a lot of danger, but if I’m lucky, I can let them jump out again without getting intercepted. Since the local system defense force in Deanton uses carriers, we’d be in a lot of trouble otherwise.

OK, time to adjust our plans a bit. Our two new fleets get on their way to Innar. Since we’re upgrading our techs shortly, I’ll just pile all our (15 total) old ships into Innar to fortify the place. They may be too weak to stand up to planetary defenses and poo poo, but they’re still enough to toast everything the Raas could send to us while we’re re-invading Deanton.

Surprise! The Raas never stopped sending out ships the entire time and now another fleet has arrived!

This time I mixed it up by making screenshots instead of another video. (No, not really I was just lazy. :v: )

The enemy fleet consists of a carrier-squadron and a single transport ship. And as you can see our defense fleets already gets the poo poo kicked out of it.

You have to remember at points like this: Do not panic. Without the dozens of system carriers, the single squadron can’t actually break our shields as long as we counter-intuitively don’t attack the carriers.

A task force under fighter-attack will move around randomly while all weapons fire to destroy the fighters. This is the main reason to have escorts: All their light and point defense batteries will fire like mad at them. Your heavier weapons will too, but generally they don’t tend to hit very well. While a single hit with a spine mounted weapon or something similarly heavy will ruin every fighter’s day, you will also hit almost never.

And with 5+ seconds waiting time inbetween salvoes, a fleet without escorts is basically dead meat.

In this case, I got lucky and destroyed all enemy fighters before our shields could go down, then ordered our ships to destroy the enemy transport. More to clear the way to the carriers than out of necessity.

And here we run into the main reason carriers are superior against everything: If enough time passes, a carrier fleet will simply respawn new fighters and send them again.

This second attack really scared me for a bit, but there’s something important Ultima Orion did to prevent carrier-fleets from just effortlessly steamrolling everything. This important thing saved us here.

Also a squadron-average of 24 damage for a carrier-fleet is oddly low. Since they’re using our own fighter bombing tech against us, the problem isn’t their lack of technology. Instead this must mean the Raas send us something ludicrously small like destroyers or light cruisers. The Raas however aren’t using an actual human intelligence to direct them and so they sadly can’t know that sending too small carriers is a complete waste of time.

The secret for effective carrier- and missile-fleet usage is overwhelming firepower. The AI has some trouble with that concept in the early game.

The enemy carriers had no shields so as soon as their second fighter squadron was destroyed, they got blown up in less then a minute.

Afterwards the 1st Royal Fleet spend some time mopping up the third fighter-squadron spawned by the Raas-carriers. Those clowns literally started while their carriers were going down in flames around them. Poor dumb brave bastards.

The Secrets of Shields and Fighters

OK, by now you’re probably confused as hell. Where did all those fighters come from? When we designed our own carriers, we didn’t put down space for reserve fighters, the designs are rather straightforward: If you put down 19 fighters, 19 fighters will launch at the start of a fight.

The fighters will then fly towards their target and shoot at it until either every fighter or every enemy is dead. After some time, the fighter-status of the carriers will change back to “refueling” even though none of the fighters will ever come back. They will either stay in space or die.

After some more time passes, the full complement of fighters will be available for launch again. If whatever the task force is targeting at the time still lives, the new fighters will immediately launch and join the surviving fighters (if there are any). Even if not, this means a constant flood of new fighters periodically attacking the poor victim.

Yes that’s right: Carrier-ships don’t use ammunition or reserve fighters or crap like that, instead they have their own factory and military academy to spit out a never ending torrent of new fighter squadrons! For the entire fight, a carrier will launch its full complement of fighters again and again until the carrier is dead or the combat ends.

In comparison, missile ships need additional space for ammunition, or you literally will only get one salvo.

In vanilla this was not only OP, but more like Mega-OP because there is something I hadn’t gotten time for explaining yet. Shield recharge.

Let’s go back in time for 12+ years to the day I started playing the game for the first time. For over a year back then I didn’t even knew shields could recharge. Vanilla MO3 uses basically Star Trek rules for shields: Shields can absorb some punishment, but after some point the captain of a ship will yell “Shields at 0%” and consoles will start to explode, redshirts will fly through the sky. That kind of thing.

The shields have a recharge-rate hardcoded into them, but the vanilla-recharge rate is ludicrously low. On lower-tier shields you’ll never even notice them, because massive firepower will tear them down in seconds and no ship will live long enough to generate more than a couple points back.

This makes fighter-spam even worse, since even fleets strong enough to normally survive a fighter-strike will go down when the carriers magically spawn a second fighter group. In vanilla I mostly stopped building non-carriers after a certain point. I even comically abused the old low recharges by putting 1-2 of my strongest missile launchers on every single ship I build.

The result of this was something like this: At the start of the fight, my task forces launched a ludicrously large missile salvo and some fighters. The enemy launched missiles and fighters, but while those super-OP toys battered down my shields, my missile salvo did the same with even numerical superior fleets. Then my fighters and normal weapons wiped them out. No tactic, no strategy, just 1. Missiles + Fighters and 2. Death.

The AI could never replicate this since the vanilla AI typically tried to mix it up. Ultima Orion helped the AI out by forcing them to use overspecialized, basically immobilized carrier and missile designs. Since the AI is notoriously bad at ship positioning, wasting space on system engines for carriers is just an additional handicap and the modders decided to instead give the AI designs favoring massive overwhelming firepower.

They also upped the shield re-charge rate of all shields massively, which is the reason why our fleet didn’t immediately die after the second fighter group attacked us. In vanilla, the fight would have ended right then and there.

The AI normally profits more from shields not immediately caving in after the first hit, so this isn’t an unfair change to our advantage. It only ends badly for the AI if it is stupid enough to send ships without any shields whatsoever. :shrug:

The real true reason for this change is culture-based, however: In Perry Rhodan, shields don’t just go down a few arbitrary percents after getting hit by a weapon, like in Star Trek. Instead you either need weapons strong or strange enough to pierce/bypass them, or they need to be overwhelmed by tons of weapons concentrating on a single shield until it finally goes down. In some cases, entire fleets need to concentrate their fire on a single ship. In really bad cases, entire fleets need to concentrate fire on a small point of the shield-sphere of a single ship to break through. This is called Punktbeschuss(Point Bombardment).

The high shield re-charge in Ultima Orion simulates this shield behavior: A shield-type tends to have a recharge rate tailored to recharge it from zero multiple times over the course of a single real-time combat.

You could argue this makes ships helpless if they can’t even do enough damage to negate the constantly recharging shields, but to be honest if you’re lagging behind that much, you were never going to win anyway.

Turn 71! We now have fighter mines/Jäger-Minenwerfer. Another agent joins the AIA, our trusted allies agree to our demands and we already took revenge for our losses at Deanton by dunking another Raas-fleet at Innar.

Another turn later and our transports reach Deanton. Obviously we don’t want to storm a planet or intercept fleet units, so I take the most peaceful option: Planet blockieren /Planetary Blockade. In case our AI does something dumb, I take control of the fight.

But my fears turn out to be unfounded. The enemy defenders don’t move to intercept us, so our transports don’t even need to retreat.

Bad choice, Raas. Bad choice. By allowing us to stay instead of throwing us out immediately, Deanton is now scouted and counts as fully surveyed. Not only does this give us additional information we can use to invade the system, we also gain some more knowledge about the Raas star lane network.

I have no idea why the AI did this, but I’m not gonna complain!

Galactic cycle 108 gives us some more good news: Another Raas spy gets killed, a second enemy spy gets captured and we get another colony.

Also Deanton, the Raas-capital system, is now fully explored. Thanks to the AI being dumb.

While the failed invasion set back our war plans a lot, at least the continuing build-up in Innar will prevent our colonies here from being endangered again. By now Innar II has almost recovered from the decade-long bombardment: Terraforming has repaired most of the damage to the planet and 4 out of 8 regions have their development areas rebuild already.

Next: Making better invasions for a better tomorrow

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 17, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How do enemy spies get to your planet, anyhow? Ships too small to matter on the tactical scale?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

How do enemy spies get to your planet, anyhow? Ships too small to matter on the tactical scale?

You abstractly "insert" them, then the game rolls dice in the background to determine:

1. If you actually get into the target empire. Border status, oppression-levels and similar things are taken into account here.
2. If the target empire can detect you. Oppression-levels, spy cloak ability, spy techs and anti-spy techs are most important here.
3. The game also rolls dice to see if your agent can do anything and if he is succesful, what he actually does.

The AI plays after the same rules, it's just suspiciously lucky sometimes. On the other hand, we've killed multiple spies by now, so maybe the AI doesn't actually cheat.

You get messages for successes or failures. The most embarassing messages are about failed insertions. At least those don't kill your spies. But I've seen some spies (even my own) escape after being captured, so even ending up in a torture chamber isn' neccessarily the end of the line.

Ultima Orion expanded espionage greatly, in vanilla spies often can only do one or two things, everything else is failure. Spy hackers for example can't bring down a stock exchange in vanilla. In fact, vanilla's spies are kind of on the limp-wristed side of things. Even spy hackers tend to be useless when there are no technologies to grab. In UO at least everyone does their job and as you can see with the contantly exploding buildings, spy defense is actually a thing you have to take into account.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

do they still randomly die after 10-20 turns? Because that was always a 'fun' limitation on them.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

How long must we wait to see democracy and freedom brought to the Raas?

Great writeups, I got this game on a whim a long time ago, and it never really got past the exploration stage with me, probably because of the arcane UI and crippling bugs. Been reading since the 3rd or 4th update, and I'm glad to see someone doing it justice.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Veloxyll posted:

do they still randomly die after 10-20 turns? Because that was always a 'fun' limitation on them.

In a way. Every turn their luck counts down by 1. Over time, this makes them not only hilariously likely to die during an assignment, after a certain treshold is reached the agent "gains" the ability for random death even while peacefully sitting behind his desk.

Generally, if you see an agent's luck dropping below 10, you should contemplate training his replacement. Because that guy isn't long for this world anymore.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chapter 19: Strategical Readjustments

So last time we had some very small setbacks. Time to go and make some adjustments to our plans.

First, let’s take a look at our border with the Psilons. The Klackons have taken over two planets in Dromos, but the Soriane still have some ships left. Since there’s one more system until the Klackons have chewed through and can hit Cokanuk, the situation is still somewhat stable.

The frontline at Innar is total chaos. Two new fleets are bound to arrive in a couple turns and our slightly damaged carrier-squadron arrives next turn together with another Raas-force. At least it looks like we’re reinforcing Innar faster than the Raas can send in forces.

Also before you ask, no we can’t reinforce a task force which has lost ships. We would need to disband the entire TF and create a new one after the ships of the old one have reached the reserves. The 2nd Royal Fleet will just have to deal with losing an escort.

“I’m only making this call to express my contempt. We expand our trade sanctions against you to a full embargo”

Good news for us, this won’t do poo poo either since we don’t trade with anyone the Klackons are trading with. That military strength of 57 ships is looking mighty bad, though.

I still haven’t designed any heavy cruisers yet because I want to equip them with Fusion Drives, our next tier in STL-engines. They’re faster than Ion Drives and even a bit smaller. They’re still bigger than our miniaturized Ion Drives though, so putting them in when speed isn’t that important is kind of situational.

In two turns Fusion Drives will be available and I’ll start designing our first heavy cruisers.

What I did immediately was upgrading all ships to make sure the newest shields and shield generators are used by all ships. And I made screenshots like this one so you can compare how much we gain with the new equipment.

This is the old design, using ElectroMagnetic fields to protect a ship. And only small generators because that’s what we had back then. This shield has a capacity of 165 shield points and regenerates 13 points every second.

In vanilla, this was something like 5.

Now we’ve upgraded to Graviton Field Shields. The shield strength is now 247, nearly 50% stronger. The re-charge rate is up to 20, again nearly 50% stronger.

In vanilla, the re-charge rate for tier II shields was barely up to 7 or something similarly low.

And now we’ve exchanged the light for the standard shield generator. Shield strength is now up to 375 shield points. This is around 125% stronger than our old shields. Impressive, right? The re-charge rate is doubled again to 40 per second, twice as strong again then the small generators can deliver. Also it’s like four times stronger then the vanilla-rate.

By now you’ve probably noticed a pattern: Shields are balanced to recharge in about 10-12 seconds. In vanilla, the recharge rates could never keep up with the strength and even though the recharge rates slowly went up through the tiers, the time for recharge just grew over time until shield recharge became vastly irrelevant in the late game.

Here in Ultima Orion, it will stay relevant over the entire game and even become more and more important. The hilarious vanilla use-case were the stronger fleet defeats the weaker one in just two hits will never be as egregious in UO.

See the battle at Deanton as an example: The Raas had tons of ships and successfully defended even though they were technologically inferior. In vanilla, I may have lost all ships myself, but not before an orgy of destruction devoured half their ships, too.

Of course on the other hand, their lone carrier squadron would have later handily defeated our defenders at Innar, too. So I guess both we and the Raas profited from the changes made to the original Master of Orions 3. :v:

Oh wait, I forgot the Raas in vanilla would probably use some retarded self-defeating design anyway and still lose.

I forgot if I showed this off already, so here it is again: The Orbital Defense Fortress Death. Tons of point defense in case the fortress gets attacked without escorts being near and 64 space fighters as main weapon. 32 are carrying the high-DPS fighter fusion bombs, while the other 32 are carrying fighter mine launchers. Less DPS, but enemy shields are less effective.

The Death-class fortress is too expensive to see much use, but just in case I’m ordering our capital to build one. If the Klackons ever break through, this will be a nasty surprise for their fleets. Combined with the planetary fighter garrison, this adds up to 164 fighters per launch. Not bad, not bad.

Seven more Dila Empire ships at Innar! The Raas don’t let up, but with our defensive strength now doubled it looks like the worst is behind us.

:siren: Obligatory Battle Video :siren:

Some enemy ships got out, but most of them did not. Another victory for the Kingdom of Almandin!

Galactic cycle 111. The Klackons from the Vchiitri Empire ended their war since they couldn’t get to us. But let’s not kid ourselves, they will come for us sooner or later.

Finally, we did some more exploration! Our lonely scout reached the Nodus-system beyond the Cokanuk-sector.

Too bad Nodus I, the only planet here, is total poo poo. Well, I guess I could try to get at the minerals here and Neurale Pharmaka / Neural Pharmaceutics is a good anomaly to get as a bonus. But not right now, we’re already swimming in minerals.

I’ll come back to this shithole when it looks like we’re getting close to our mineral cap but right now we mine more than twice as much as we use, so it’s not exactly a pressing matter.

So, that was a dud. Time to send our scout farther out again. The next system is only five turns away, which isn’t too bad.

Time for a short look at our second-tier colonies. Cokanuk III and Innar II are still 12 turns from finishing their mobilization centers, but they’re at the point of growing fast enough the waiting time is probably more like 6 turns.

To speed things up a bit, I’ve started putting our first 5x-groups of orders into the military queue at Almandin II. This planet is for now delegated to build our escorts. The Shilo-frigates are the fast ones meant for non-carriers, while the Zylo-frigates are slow as gently caress, which won’t matter when paired with slow as gently caress carriers.

Most of the ships running into the Innar-system are Raas-transports, so not exactly a threat. At this point this is just annoying.

It sounds incredible, but this is a step up for MO3-AI. In vanilla, the transports build by the AI would often just pile up in their main systems without ever being send against you. They also would often literally only start running away when only one ship was left.

In this case we were lucky enough to spawn right next to the transports and our fighters blew them up before their FTL-drives could recharge and jump out.

Turn 75 brings gifts: Agent Ithome is ready and Fusion Drives will from now on replace our aging Ion Drives.

Another spy got captured by us and oh yeah, I’m still bribing Silicoids to move to our three newest colonies. (Plastrum I isn’t actually a colony yet, just very close.)

And I finally remember to look into our spy-window again! Number 2 is just mediocre so I leave him out, but Agent Düster / Dark is like the Silicoid James Bond. Cloak 9 and Dagger 6 is quite good. Too bad is luck is below 30, which is generally rather lovely.

At least he will have no trouble catching other terrorists with those stats.

If you’re wondering why don’t mention Ithome, our newest addition, it’s because I only noticed now I didn’t actually made a screenshot with him selected. Whoops!

After looking him up, he is very slightly worse than our super-spy Agent Dark. Ithome has even shittier luck, though.

It’s too late for all the spies we already have active, but future spies will get an extra +5 luck thanks to this tech, the Xeno-Survival School. This is like the famous American Ranger training and like the dumb Bundeswehr-equivalent I’ve been told about during my time as a draftee, but I don’t remember the name of that program. It had something to do with officer-school, I think.

Spies learn all about survival in enemy territory, including where to hide your weird crystal poo poo in dinosaur-territory to avoid attracting attention and other assorted crap.

A new rifle for our armies is in the testing phase: The Gauss Rifle is like a portable rail gun, which is why it gets +2 to piercing armor. It also gives us a huge bonus to initiative, since it’s easy to act faster than your enemies, if the attacking troops all have large holes in them.

The Medium Armor is double strength compared to the Light Armor our ships have been using all the time and this tech creates a dilemma: I don’t want to wait an additional 7 turns to make our new heavy cruisers, but on the other hand I don’t want those rather expensive ships to be more vulnerable just because I couldn’t wait.

Having no retrofit-option, I’m forced to instead build more of our cheaper cruisers. But your day will come, heavy cruiser! :argh:

One turn has passed, and our most important colonies are two turns closer to being able to raise their own task forces. Wait, what?

Colony growth in action. :v:

Diplomacy-time! I don’t want our allies to start thinking I’m ignoring them, so I ask for some counter-intelligence cooperation. But I’m warning you: Those are the hardest to get, so don’t expect success.

Asking our enemies to trade with us while being under an embargo by them. Not the smartest move, but everything to slow down the inevitable show-down between us.

The Psilons still don’t like us because of border friction, but at least they’re willing to trade with us. So why not open our borders to them? It’s not like those poor bastards can do anything against us with that massive Klackon-invasion going on.

Just out of spite I demand all three non-capital planets in Deanton from the Raas. The chance of success for this act is something like -25% I believe, but the thought of the Raas raging even more warms my heart.

And then the transports trailing the invasion fleet we trashed arrive. Time to trash some more Raas!

The ships of the Dila Empire immediately begin charging their FTL-drives and we’ve spawned just far enough for them to escape.

Yeah, as I thought.

Next: James Rock in: Crystallino Royale

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man, I hate multiple updates on the same page. Luckily I have a secret weapon: Lore updates!

Lore 05: First Contact

The exact date that the Travelers first met each other is now lost to history; the Orions believe their encounter with the Denebi was the earliest, but studies of Antaran military records indicate that the Antarans may actually have found and killed at least two Traveler groups many years before. Most records from this early time period have been lost, and so it may never be certain when the Travelers were reunited. Regardless of historical inaccuracies, the relative proximity of seven of the original Travelers led to a broad reunion over the course of a century of exploration somewhere around 1600 GC.

Historical Note: The seven tribes that occupied a significant portion of the lower spiral arm of the galaxy were the Orions, the Antarans, the Alioth, the Meissans, the Dubhei, the Mintakans, and the Saiph. The Shaula'a and the Bellatricians had indeed been killed or assimilated by the Antarans during their expansions many years earlier. Only three other Traveler tribes survived the exodus from Center One: the Polarids, the Denebi, and the Tarazedi. The Polarids developed an empire very quickly on another edge of the galactic core, and would soon encounter the Mizara. The Denebi and the Tarazedi ended up on the opposite side of the galaxy. Their story will be told another day.

The legends of the reunion of the Travelers were many, all epic tales of a glorious first contact and the incredulity and joy of finding each other after so many centuries apart. As is often the case, the truth was nothing like the rosy picture painted by mythology. Fifteen centuries of separate evolutionary, cultural and social development had rendered the Travelers completely unrecognizable to each other. It took over a century for researchers to gather enough data from linguistic similarities and historical records to realize that they all were descended from the original Travelers who had left Center One. With the confirmation of this discovery, the progeny of Center One felt that they were the ones destined to shape the galaxy's future. As they met and related old tales and exchanged ideas, they began calling themselves "Elder Civilizations", for none of them had found any evidence of anyone above and beyond them. None save the Antarans, at least... but they held their secrets to themselves, for even with the joy of reunion, the meetings between Elder Civilizations were not always friendly affairs.

Centuries of separation had neutralized the once heterogeneous nature of Center One's civilization. Now, the different Tribes viewed each other with a little more suspicion, a little more unease than before. Questions hung unspoken in their meeting halls: who was the stronger? Who had more technology? Who had better worlds? Who was a threat? Their differences became food for suspicion, and mutual coexistence became a more and more distant concept with each passing cycle.

Next: The Elder Civilizations get even worse, but well we have to pave the way for our races somehow, right?

Fake Edit:

Now that I'm thinking about this, if the Master of Orion remake had been set in the time of all those elder civlizations we know nothing about, that would have been neat. Orions and Antarans as playable races? Hell yes

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
You expect these guys to be GOOD spies?

"HEY GUYS I'M CARL WHAT'S UP ISN'T BEING A DINOSAUR GREAT SAY WHERE DO WE KEEP OUR MILITARY BASES ANYWAY"

"Can't help but notice you're a rock there, Carl"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Araganzar posted:

You expect these guys to be GOOD spies?

"HEY GUYS I'M CARL WHAT'S UP ISN'T BEING A DINOSAUR GREAT SAY WHERE DO WE KEEP OUR MILITARY BASES ANYWAY"

"Can't help but notice you're a rock there, Carl"

To be fair, the idea of dinosaurs pretending to be rocks isn't any more believable. Wait a minute, this explains why we're killing and catching so many of them!

Also, more lore:

Lore 06: The Antaran Outlook

The Antarans, during this time, created a series of ultra-fast deep space probes to do remote exploration around their sector. Launching thousands of probes out into space, they searched for signs of habitable worlds, alien life, and their Traveler brethren. They focused heavily on probing the Galactic Core and its dense stellar population, looking for more worlds to colonize; they even searched for the remains of Center One. Now that they were away from the stifling Center One system, expansion became the primary objective on the Antarans' agenda. Their bellicose nature gradually led them to develop into a very rigid but efficient military dictatorship. As they expanded their borders, their innate sense of superiority coupled with their encountering nothing but the most primitive of life forms led them to an arrogant belief in their own "manifest destiny" -- it was clear to them that the galaxy was theirs for the taking.

Historical Note: This attitude of the Antarans was preprogrammed into their instincts by the race that engineered them. Again, the true purpose for this remains a mystery....

This belief collided with hard reality around 1390 GC, however, when one of the Antaran probes accidentally passed through a mono-directional wormhole and ended up on the other side of the Galactic Core, in the middle of Mizara territory (to be precise, in the middle of a Mizara war fleet). The probe transmitted several moments of footage that shocked the Antaran Central Command: thousands of unidentified but well-armed ships patrolling a heavily populated system. Brief scans of the ships showed weapons technology comparable to those of the Antarans themselves. The probe was destroyed quickly, but the Antarans had seen enough: someone else was out there, and they were not to be trifled with.

This discovery would alter their outlook forevermore. Fearful and envious of an unknown civilization that might challenge their claim to the galaxy, the Antaran leaders instituted sweeping policy changes that affected every aspect of their society, increasing their internal security and espionage forces, pumping massive energies into research, and making sure that the entire empire was under direct and absolute control of the Antaran Central Command. This new outlook would remain with the Antarans for millennia to come.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Even more lore!

Lore 07: The Elders Civil War

With the distrust and suspicion that was growing among the Elder Civilizations, the concept of peaceful coexistence grew increasingly distant as the shadow of war loomed large over their region of the galaxy. Despite the establishment of embassies within every empire, diplomacy itself was often strained and tense at best. Skirmishes at borders became more and more frequent, espionage was rampant, and war machines sprang to life at every corner.

The Elder Civilizations gradually polarized into two distinct factions -- the Orion League, led by the technologically advanced Orions, and the Central Entente, led by the militaristic Antarans. The Antarans chose their allies carefully, inviting the Alioth and the Meissans to ally with them. All of their empires had borders on or near the galactic core, which would, the Antarans hoped, eventually give them a clear and easy path of access to combat the lurking menace within. With the Orion League occupying larger portions of the spiral arm, the Antarans also reckoned that the Orions would eventually have nowhere to expand except into the wall that would be Antaran space, and the Antarans had every intention of making that wall unbreakable. The two factions were sitting on a powder keg, and the fuse was terribly short.

A border skirmish between the Alioth and the Dubhei in 2103 GC provided the spark to light that fuse, and they soon escalated hostilities from brushfire war to limited war to an all-out galactic conflagration. Each faction was called upon to support its ally, and within scant cycles all the Elder Civilizations were involved in a galactic civil war, the likes of which has never been seen since. Whole planets, suns, and star systems were annihilated as the battles raged, claiming billions and billions of lives. Fleets of ships dashed themselves against each other in brutal contests for territory. The Elder Civilizations lit the galaxy on fire with their immense and bloody conflict.

Historical Note: The local Orion races of circa 17000 GC would one day be awed by the power that the Guardian of Orion wielded, from its crew-killing Death Rays to its nearly impenetrable Xintium Armor and much more. Those races would fail to realize that the Guardian was little more than an AI-controlled battleship in the ancient Orion Navy, and that ships many times larger and stronger had once existed.

Historical Note: In this area of space, only the Gargantua Civil War (15995-17013 GC) came close to rivaling the sheer destruction that the Elders caused in their battles.

Throughout the war, Orion diplomats sought to lessen the hostilities, even as their scientists studied the primitive races within their sector for clues on what could be done to stop the war. But the Antarans were determined to see it through, driving their forces to fight with fanatic zeal, believing that victory would make them stronger and grant them the territory and resources they would need for a war in the galactic core. For four hundred Galactic Cycles, the seven Elder Civilizations strove to exterminate one another. But ultimately, the outcome of the war was decided not by soldiers, but by scientists.

The Trinity Project provided the Orions with what they felt was the most bloodless and direct solution to the war. Using principles learned from the recently-discovered field of Trans-Dimensional Physics, the Orions theorized that they could "imprison" the Antarans in an other-dimensional space akin to the "space" contained within wormholes or hyperspace. The idea was that the entire Antaran Sector could be enveloped in a bubble that would then be transported into another dimension and thus isolated from the universe. The Orion scientists were not entirely certain where that would be, but they all agreed that anywhere was better than where they were: leading the Central Entente in a war that was costing hundreds of millions of lives each year. Various experiments with objects of different sizes seemed to demonstrate success, and the power of a device needed to envelop an entire sector would not be beyond the capacity of a well-protected doom star, so the plan was approved by the Orion League leaders.

Antaran intelligence, however, was extremely pervasive, and soon infiltrated even the top-secret labs where the Trinity Project had been finalized. Too late the Antaran Central Command received the transmissions from their spies; too late they realized that the Orions did indeed have a means of stopping them. The Antaran Supreme Commander was issuing orders to his fleets to evacuate the sector when the doom star Trinity reached the heart of the Antaran Sector and activated the dimensional encapsulator. In a heartbeat, the entire Antaran Sector vanished from normal space, never to be seen again.

Historical Note: Orion scientists often wondered what exactly happened to the Trinity at that moment; it was never verified whether the ship was destroyed with the use of the encapsulator, whether it went into other-dimensional space with the Antaran Sector, or whether it remained behind as a derelict within the dead zone left behind by the Antaran Sector.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So shield strength was basically a bad joke in the vanilla game? Or was initial strength at least a little damage cushion?

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Libluini posted:

Historical Note: Orion scientists often wondered what exactly happened to the Trinity at that moment; it was never verified whether the ship was destroyed with the use of the encapsulator, whether it went into other-dimensional space with the Antaran Sector, or whether it remained behind as a derelict within the dead zone left behind by the Antaran Sector.

That's quite a suicide mission to be sent on, operating the doom star to send an entire civilization into another universe, with no idea of whether you'd be sucked in with them or end up dying alone in the center of the new dead zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

So shield strength was basically a bad joke in the vanilla game? Or was initial strength at least a little damage cushion?

Quite the opposite actually, since in vanilla you started with normal and large generators already available from the start. The problem was the shield regen. That part was a joke.

The vanilla-game had the shield regeneration set so low, for most of the game you wouldn't even notice this mechanic existed. I sure didn't, until I read through the tech descriptions a little more carefully. :shepface:

As you can see in some of the videos, MO3 has this weird problem with outmatched ships dying like flies, without doing much except explode prettily. And this is with the shield regen cranked up to eleven thanks to the mod, now imagine what a clusterfuck those battles would be if every shield goes down 3-4 times faster.