Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I believe that Leah actually expressly notes that "her" Illyana is lost in the final issue of Angela.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I believe that Leah actually expressly notes that "her" Illyana is lost in the final issue of Angela.

She mentions she spent three years searching but couldn't find her. I read that as Leah saying she couldn't find Magik at all (with the X-Men isolating themselves in Limbo and all), not that she had found Magik and seen that she wasn't the same Magik as from Siege.

I'm probably being dense though :downs:. Plus even if I were somehow right, I can't imagine it'd ever coming up unless Bennett or Gillen suddenly become writers for an X-Men team book/Magik solo book.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

DrProsek posted:

I'm probably being dense though :downs:. Plus even if I were somehow right, I can't imagine it'd ever coming up unless Bennett or Gillen suddenly become writers for an X-Men team book/Magik solo book.

Yes, please

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
So, is talking about the FCBD Civil War II preview fair game now? Because, sheesh, that was a bummer and a half.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Have they ever done a follow up to Wolverine vs. the Marvel Universe?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Have they ever done a follow up to Wolverine vs. the Marvel Universe?

You mean the mini series about that zombie like plague? If so that was a prequel to The Avengers vs The Marvel Universe and The Punisher vs The Marvel Universe. They were released in weird order though. The end of it (Punisher) came out first, then the first part (Wolverine), and then the middle part (Avengers). I'm pretty sure they're intended to be read in that order though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

X-O posted:

You mean the mini series about that zombie like plague? If so that was a prequel to The Avengers vs The Marvel Universe and The Punisher vs The Marvel Universe. They were released in weird order though. The end of it (Punisher) came out first, then the first part (Wolverine), and then the middle part (Avengers). I'm pretty sure they're intended to be read in that order though.

Yeah I'm just figuring this out as I'm reading the Punisher story. They are good minis, but I really like Jonathan Maberry. His Joe Ledger books are entertaining reads.

The zombies in this are reminding me of the Slow Burn series which is another dumb, but fun read.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
So I finally got around to reading issue 1 of the new Thunderbolts after mainlining all the issues so far of Nailbiter, and here was me thinking I would be getting away from final panels that make me go "OMG that's messed up!", guess I thought wrong, not that it goes as far as Nailbiter of course.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Megalols at the new Wasp. No, she's not Hope outta nowhere, absolutely not, uh-uh, she's called Nadia, it's totally different you guys.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Why is there a new wasp?

Edit: where is Janet now? Did Pym change again?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm still really unsure about Gwenpool, I got issues 0 (which is just a compilation of her appearances in other things) and 2 but I still cannot quite stop my head around where it's going tonally but I'm not sure where the problem is.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm the opposite, I thought 1 was kind of tonally a mess but 2 is great. I guess 1 was going for the Shield-esque "end of pilot twist" but 2 feels like the comic really finding its footing and figuring out how Gwenpool works in the greater context of the MU.

Also I really love how Gwenpool's "super power" is "literally has read a lot of comic books", because that's a super interesting power to have in the 616.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Does anyone know if the Marvel Unlimted release schedule is super strict about releasing comics 6 months after they come out in print? I am curious as to whether we will have to wait extra long for Secret Wars to come out, just because the print version was delayed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Leave it to a continuity nerd like Mark Waid to somehow be the first person to ever use Maria Pym, a character literally everyone on the planet forgot or never knew existed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I like how she's some kind of one-woman Avengers continuity vortex.

Also, for those who might not have heard, Disney is officially out of the first-party video game business and has shuttered Disney Interactive. Future Marvel games will likely be licensed out to third parties. We're closer to a Marvel vs. Capcom 4 than we've been for some time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Vision was so so good this week. It sucks that we are more than halfway done, and it looks like his emotions are not completely erased like he said.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

bobkatt013 posted:

Vision was so so good this week. It sucks that we are more than halfway done, and it looks like his emotions are not completely erased like he said.

Tom King is so good.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Well I guess ANADA answers why Nova's book felt like it was stalling for the past few months.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

X-O posted:

Leave it to a continuity nerd like Mark Waid to somehow be the first person to ever use Maria Pym, a character literally everyone on the planet forgot or never knew existed.

Steve Englehart did a pretty long story involving her in West Coast Avengers. Pym and the team went to Eastern Europe to investigate something involving Quicksilver, found Vision and Scarlet Witch in a jail, and then found Maria - who had been turned into a female MODOK looking thing. Pym stayed behind when the team left so he could find a cure for her. It literally went nowhere after Englehart left the book. It was a pretty cool story, though, that brought back a ton of Pym's old Tales to Astonish villains and gave the Wasp back her antennae.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GPTribefan posted:

Steve Englehart did a pretty long story involving her in West Coast Avengers. Pym and the team went to Eastern Europe to investigate something involving Quicksilver, found Vision and Scarlet Witch in a jail, and then found Maria - who had been turned into a female MODOK looking thing. Pym stayed behind when the team left so he could find a cure for her. It literally went nowhere after Englehart left the book. It was a pretty cool story, though, that brought back a ton of Pym's old Tales to Astonish villains and gave the Wasp back her antennae.

Well yeah the female MODOK is where I knew her from because West Coast Avengers was my actual Avengers when I was young. I just mean that pretty much nobody else has ever remembered her. I think the only other time she popped up was in Quasar, another book nobody but me read.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I loved the call out to Pym's first wife and, of course, her name is NotHope, but I frown at the Bucky and Black Widow stuff. Let the character breathe a little bit before you tie her into everything else.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sentinel Red posted:

Megalols at the new Wasp. No, she's not Hope outta nowhere, absolutely not, uh-uh, she's called Nadia, it's totally different you guys.

I was really confused here because I assumed you meant Hope Summers -- currently unseen since prior to secret wars afaik. That'd be an odd character move.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SilverSupernova posted:

Well I guess ANADA answers why Nova's book felt like it was stalling for the past few months.

Well dont keep us in suspense

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Al Ewing is so great. How did we ever get by without him?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I dunno man. When there were a few us telling people to read his books despite the Greg Land art a couple years back we weren't kidding. He's great.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

The Avengers are tagging along for the story.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Does this Ultimates happen before the FCBD one shot? Thanos is very clearly holding one of the Shi'ar's guns when he arrives. Also like Carol seeing what they're doing and going "Wait? What? No gently caress that, shut it down now."

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

twistedmentat posted:

Does this Ultimates happen before the FCBD one shot? Thanos is very clearly holding one of the Shi'ar's guns when he arrives. Also like Carol seeing what they're doing and going "Wait? What? No gently caress that, shut it down now."

I read that FCBD Civil War book actually happens a bit into Civil War, so it's kind of seeing future events.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Basically, the Avengers book is continuing the story from Nova's solo book while Nova's book (as well as everyone else's) does Civil War 2 tie-ins.
Which would probably explain why Nova's book seemed to be stalling for time for the past few months.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Heathen posted:

I loved the call out to Pym's first wife and, of course, her name is NotHope, but I frown at the Bucky and Black Widow stuff. Let the character breathe a little bit before you tie her into everything else.

Speaking of Widow tie-ins, what's happening with that Red Widow character? I think her saw her make a background cameo in an issue of Ms. Marvel, but that's all. Did she die?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes, this book is good as hell and should win all of the Eisners. Man, that last page.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
It is so good. And it makes me so sad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I wonder how much Waid was kept in the loop, because Avengers also just had Vision's emotions become a plot point as well (and he's probably gonna try to murder Kang).

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Wanderer posted:

I like how she's some kind of one-woman Avengers continuity vortex.

Also, for those who might not have heard, Disney is officially out of the first-party video game business and has shuttered Disney Interactive. Future Marvel games will likely be licensed out to third parties. We're closer to a Marvel vs. Capcom 4 than we've been for some time.

Did infinity not work or something? It seems liked infinity with marvel stuff would be a money machine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nevvy Z posted:

Did infinity not work or something? It seems liked infinity with marvel stuff would be a money machine.

Infinity just can't measure up to the other type games. Nintendo managed to make their Amiibos a must-have item that lead to people punching each other in stores to get them. And Lego Dimensions has been a juggernaut drawing people in with their existing Lego game design and making the pieces fully compatible with standard LEGO.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nevvy Z posted:

Disney Infinity and 2.0 (the one that introduced Marvel) did massive numbers for Disney Interactive. 3.0 (which was primarily Star Wars and combat-focused) did not. It was a massive, 147 million dollar failure, to the level that Disney is shuttering Avalanche (the company who developed the Disney Infinity franchise) and pulling out of video games entirely. It would be like if Iron Man 2 (which had a 200 million dollar budget) ended up pulling barely like 150 million or so worldwide. If that had happened, the MCU would've been immediately scrapped entirely and at best rebooted, the success of Iron Man would've been discounted as a flash-in-the-pan unexpected success, and Marvel Studios would've been more than likely shuttered, or had all creative replaced immediately, especially so soon after it was purchased.

Rhyno posted:

Infinity just can't measure up to the other type games. Nintendo managed to make their Amiibos a must-have item that lead to people punching each other in stores to get them. And Lego Dimensions has been a juggernaut drawing people in with their existing Lego game design and making the pieces fully compatible with standard LEGO.

No, Infinity was one of the best performers of the lot. It's just that the bottom collapsed on them, seemingly out of nowhere. Disney's writing the whole thing off as a loss and shuttering the studio. If it was a slow decline and failure we'd have seen a scaling back (which Infinity was already doing, already announcing that they're not releasing a 4.0 this year). This update came out of nowhere and reads as the House of Mouse looking at a ton of red in their balance sheet, and getting out before their stock tanks.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 12, 2016

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

That's weird. Wonder why the Star Wars playset of all things tanked.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Superstring posted:

That's weird. Wonder why the Star Wars playset of all things tanked.
Oh boy, they're just so tired of all these star wars.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kids of toy-buying age probably have no idea who the gently caress Darth Vader is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Lurdiak posted:

Kids of toy-buying age probably have no idea who the gently caress Darth Vader is.

What kinda garbage parents aren't teaching kids about Darth Vader?

• Locked thread