Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
How to: make more money temporarily due to lack of immediate competition

Gold Infinite Founders Elite Edition +$100, and expressly make them the only ones available at launch

By the time real Polaris info or release comes around regular priced 1070's and 1080's will be on the market to directly compete

(tbf, reference coolers cost more in the past too, but for real this is just a cash grab)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

EoRaptor posted:

Game studios are very focused on multicore for current and future games, as both consoles depend heavily on it. There are already games that won't play on dual core chips without fiddling, and that trend should be expected to continue.

The minimum CPU for gaming is really in the 200 ~ 300 dollar range these days. Price+performance parity with consoles is just not possible, and given how the two bits of hardware are designed, built and assembled, probably never will be.

The $100-ish Skylake i3-6100 works perfectly fine for everything right now with 4 threads, and if you stick to a certain BIOS version, the Z-series ASRock boards can actually overclock it, but that currently pushes you up $50 on the CPU and $50 on the Mobo: http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Overclocking-Locked-Intel-Skylake-CPUs-Possible-i3-6100-Benchmarked

And to be fair I can count on one hand the games out that actually and sincerely won't run with 2 threads. GTAV was the biggest offender where it really did need the threads, and a whole bunch of games that were blocked from running just needed patches because the developers were loving lazy (i.e. Advanced Warfare refused to run saying I didn't meet minimum specs, a patch let it launch and it ran at 200+ FPS at full settings).

Now I'm not saying that particular CPU is future-proof, I was just using it to illustrate value and did mention it had a caveat.

Console developers got away with making their PC ports "require" 4 threads because almost no one used dual thread CPUs for gaming PCs in a decade with that one CPU being really the only exception. They'd have to have serious balls to make 8 cores a requirement when probably 90% of the CPUs being bought right this minute and for the foreseeable future fall into that category.

xthetenth posted:

It'd be nice if overscan unfucking were easier though.

I haven't seen a TV in a long rear end time that didn't have ""Overscan: Off", or "Just Scan" or some equivalent.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Video cards don't exactly grow on trees, and if nVidia's financials don't look hot enough after all that investment to launch these GPUs it'll only hurt progress on the successors to Pascal. If the market will bear it, so be it. However, I really do have to wonder if the pricing from scarcity / supply chain position standing would even be legal. nVidia makes a manufactured product and produces parts and designs to competitors, but because they have advantage of being the makers of the chips themselves they would be able to hit retail channels by fiat basically.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Founder's Edition cards are evidently intriguing to boutique builders from Falcon NW to Alienware, because if you're buying a video card from them you're paying a price premium anyway, and this way they get to buy a steady stream of product directly from nVidia and not a rebadged reference edition from an AIB maker.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Well I manged the eBay/PayPal sign up process and put my 970 up for $175.

Now I wait and hope.

Although immediately after listing it I was told the smarter path would have been to list it at a $1 and create a floor price.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

OhFunny posted:

Now I wait and hope.

Although immediately after listing it I was told the smarter path would have been to list it at a $1 and create a floor price.

You probably should also put it up on SA Mart as well; save yourself the 10% fee.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bloodplay it again posted:

Even if it is hooked up properly, unless you have a TV with low input lag, games are going to look like rear end on it in motion. I went with the KDL55W950B specifically because of this but I'm guessing the average TV is a Vizio or something similar.

Edit: beaten

Input lag and motion blur are 2 completely different things.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Right now it's really, really tempting to throw around some $400-shipped Best Offers for 980 Tis on eBay.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Has there been any word on the mobile variants fro either company? Seems like we could get some nice laptop GPU from this generation.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

OhFunny posted:

Now I wait and hope.

High start prices and reserve prices are both anti-patterns on eBay. You want to drum up interest in your item, get those watchlists and outbid notifications flowing. It's heartburn-inducing because usually >50% of your bids will come in the last 5 minutes and most of them will be in the last 20 seconds.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I've always listed everything at $1 with no reserve. It always works out as long as your item isnt obscure. If you get royally screwed, you are allowed to cancel, but its not an issue.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Don Lapre posted:

Input lag and motion blur are 2 completely different things.

Meant to say display lag (as in the website displaylag.com), but I typed input instead for some reason. My point is that most TVs are terrible for gaming. I noticed it more with PC games but I'm sure it happens with console games, too.

Also considering going from 970 to 1070, but I don't want eBay to take such a huge chunk out of the transaction. Probably better off selling it in SA Mart and saving the buyer a little compared to letting eBay eat the fees, right?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The Founders Edition must suck hard for anyone running a custom loop.

Honestly I'm getting less and less impressed with this launch when I think about it especially considering that they're cashing in a node transition that gives them a big boost to clock speeds. It really seems like they're trying hard to paper over a very small supply by running higher price until volume manufacturing kicks in, and the performance gains only look massive in VR, and they're trying to mask the difference between the 980 Ti and the 1080 in actual games behind something that's only relevant for VR.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

NVTTM is really good (and expensive) so this is actually not bad. "reference editions" of previous cards were usually more expensive than aftermarket coolers

Looking at the new coolers from Nvidia makes me wonder once again what really can be done to make a better blower-style cooler.

I suppose a larger, quieter fan. :shrug:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just want to see reviews with actual benchmarks. Give me numbers.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

El Scotch posted:

Looking at the new coolers from Nvidia makes me wonder once again what really can be done to make a better blower-style cooler.

I suppose a larger, quieter fan. :shrug:
And here I just want one that sells at a $25 or $50 discount aimed straight at water cooling people by simply not having a cooler of any sort.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

The card will be available for the entirety of the GTX 1000 series life. The card will always have the same design for the entirety of it's life span. I can see it as a big plus for some people, especially if you want to buy one now and upgrade later.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

SlayVus posted:

The card will be available for the entirety of the GTX 1000 series life. The card will always have the same design for the entirety of it's life span. I can see it as a big plus for some people, especially if you want to buy one now and upgrade later.
I think his point is more that it blows if you want to liquid cool it because, so far as we know so far, the only salient difference between the Founder's Edition and any of the base-level ones is the cooler. Which you're obviously going to remove if you're liquid cooling, effectively wasting $100 simply to have it sooner. At least if you're air cooling you'll have the benefit of knowing you're actually using the bit you're paying extra for.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

seems like the founder's edition is a bunch of baloney so i guess i'll wait for the strix or twin frozr or whatever. i wish the partners would release a date for their cards :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Does anyone know how to get the AMD Eyefinity autoswitching to work with the new (Crimson) control panel?

Setup: Radeon HD 7790, Radeon Settings 16.2.1, one 1920x1080 monitor connected via DisplayPort and two 1680x1050 monitors connected via DVI flanking it.

I just got a new monitor, and decided to try attaching two older ones to either side and experimenting with Eyefinity. And it works great! I can turn on Eyefinity through the Crimson UI, fine-tune it all I want via the "Additional Settings" UI, toggle it on and off, etc. And if I start a game while Eyefinity is enabled it sees a 5280x1050 display, just as it should.

The problem is that actually using the machine in eyefinity mode when not gaming is a gigantic pain in the rear end, as is switching it off for older games that can't cope with it. So I'd really prefer to leave it in not-eyefinity mode and just automatically switch to EF when I start a game that supports it. And in theory, you can do this: click Gaming in Crimson, select the game in question, and change Profile Options -> Launch with AMD Eyefinity to "on".

The problem is that it doesn't actually work. If I'm lucky, the game starts up normally. If I'm unlucky, all three screens shut off and the computer hangs completely. From some googling around, I'm not the only one who has this problem, but no-one seems to have a solution; replies are either "yeah it's broken for me" or "works just fine for me :shrug:". The one potentially helpful I thing I found was this thread on WSGF, but the listed instructions (create EF profile via Crimson; disable it via Additional; toggle EF on in per-game profile; start game) didn't help.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

I think his point is more that it blows if you want to liquid cool it because, so far as we know so far, the only salient difference between the Founder's Edition and any of the base-level ones is the cooler. Which you're obviously going to remove if you're liquid cooling, effectively wasting $100 simply to have it sooner. At least if you're air cooling you'll have the benefit of knowing you're actually using the bit you're paying extra for.

I doubt we'll see any GOOD aftermarket designs from board partners that cost $600. If anything, you'll see reference board from BPs for $650 and after markets for $700.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

SlayVus posted:

I doubt we'll see any GOOD aftermarket designs from board partners that cost $600. If anything, you'll see reference board from BPs for $650 and after markets for $700.
If availability is anywhere near the issue that we've all been assuming, I imagine you're right--they'll just chop the reference cooler's heavy metal shroud back for a plastic shell, maybe pull out some of the copper for aluminum, drop it $50-$75 and call it a day. Which is fine for most people, frankly. If the physical form factor and parts layout is similar to the 980Ti, it shouldn't take them virtually any time to slap on their usual custom coolers, though. I'll be particularly curious to see how long it takes them to start messing with the PCB's to put out the higher-end variants. The EVGA FTW series was pretty great for the price they were charging, but of course those didn't drop until what turned out to be close to the end of the 9-series lifecycle.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Well I wouldn't assume those kind of hikes (the 50-100 guesses), its traditionally been about 20-30 over msrp for the good open air coolers.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Already getting hyped for the GTX 1080, but should I get the "Founders Edition" or just wait for EVGA or ASUS to make a better OC model?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Junior Jr. posted:

Already getting hyped for the GTX 1080, but should I get the "Founders Edition" or just wait for EVGA or ASUS to make a better OC model?

Wait for someone to review it!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

Do you absolutely have to have it as soon as possible? Are you considering SLI? If so, then the Founder's Edition may be for you! If you don't need it on the 27th, and/or have no interest in SLI, you're probably better off waiting for a custom cooler version (which may or may not be released on the 27th. No one knows).

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Junior Jr. posted:

The Founders Edition is just the reference model, it's not special in any way. The price hike is mostly so Nvidia is not directly competing with their board partners.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Paul MaudDib posted:

High start prices and reserve prices are both anti-patterns on eBay. You want to drum up interest in your item, get those watchlists and outbid notifications flowing. It's heartburn-inducing because usually >50% of your bids will come in the last 5 minutes and most of them will be in the last 20 seconds.

You are also incentivized to not have high starting prices and reserves, as they cost you more listing fees and may take a bigger cut of your final price.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I'm just waiting for it to come out by the end of the month, it already looks pretty on DOOM with the Vulkan API, I'm sure I'll be fine running it on my PC even if it isn't overclocked. The 980Ti might as well be a waste of money because it's just half the performance of the 1080.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Welp, Ashes still switches off its async stuff if it detects you're using an Nvidia card. That makes those leaked benchmarks kind of useless.

https://twitter.com/dankbaker/status/729827652224180225

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

VulgarandStupid posted:

You are also incentivized to not have high starting prices and reserves, as they cost you more listing fees and may take a bigger cut of your final price.

I think they just take a flat rate now

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

ToxicFrog posted:

Does anyone know how to get the AMD Eyefinity autoswitching to work with the new (Crimson) control panel?
Unfortunately it's still difficult to swap back and forth for Eyefinity, since it looks for all purposes to the OS like you ripped your monitors out while plugging in a new giant one simultaneously. The easiest fix for old games is boot them in non EF mode, set to either windowed or borderless fullscreen, then quit out and restart them with EF back on. Some games just never play well (or clone across each screen).

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Junior Jr. posted:

I'm just waiting for it to come out by the end of the month, it already looks pretty on DOOM with the Vulkan API, I'm sure I'll be fine running it on my PC even if it isn't overclocked. The 980Ti might as well be a waste of money because it's just half the performance of the 1080.

No where does it say it's the 1080 will double 980ti performance.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Junior Jr. posted:

The 1080 is faster than 980s in SLI (suffering from SLI scaling), but not twice as fast as a 980. It is probably 20-30% faster than a 980Ti, although the new technologies incorporated into it may make it even faster in some benchmarks.

Hope this helps, these are all qualitative statements.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

It is probably 20-30% faster than a 980Ti*.

*pending overclocking results

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

DrDork posted:

*pending overclocking results

Yes, but both cards can be overclocked... so why don't we just discuss stock clocks for now, otherwise we are going to have to talk about liquid nitrogen and other stupid poo poo.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Managed to sell my MSI 970 on Amazon for $250 ($235 or so with fees). Definitely upgrading to the 1070.

Uncharted 4 will keep me busy while I wait for the 1070 to be released.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Managed to sell my MSI 970 on Amazon for $250 ($235 or so with fees). Definitely upgrading to the 1070.

Uncharted 4 will keep me busy while I wait for the 1070 to be released.

drat, that's not a bad idea. And I have uncharted 1-3 to play as my PS4 is my first Sony system.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

xthetenth posted:

Honestly I'm getting less and less impressed with this launch when I think about it especially considering that they're cashing in a node transition that gives them a big boost to clock speeds. It really seems like they're trying hard to paper over a very small supply by running higher price until volume manufacturing kicks in, and the performance gains only look massive in VR, and they're trying to mask the difference between the 980 Ti and the 1080 in actual games behind something that's only relevant for VR.

Plenty of companies will use reference pcbs which will work with the ref 1080 blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why dont companies sell a cooler-less card specifically for custom loops? Is it because there is no money to be made or maybe because they dont want idiots buying the cheapest card and then frying it when they use it cooler-less?