Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I just wanted to pop in and say I've been in Madrid for three days and I forgot just how much I love and appreciate the metro. Seriously, let's build this poo poo in every major city, it makes my life so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

ok thanks

really the biggest reason american cities are seeing spiking prices is hedonic. young people with money are increasingly clustered in cities and rejecting suburban living - not as an iron rule, but as a general trend. this is a good problem to have even if it leads to political fights between nimbyists and hipster gentrifiers. im more worried about all of the urban poor who are getting pushed out to the least desirable suburbs

Who gets laid by living in the suburbs? Meanwhile, ya walk to the club, you both walk back, and nobody gets a DUI

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
I like how old people think it's hipster for kids to move where they work and actually have things to do beside go to Walmart and get high behind a stripmall.

No wait, that actually makes perfect sense. That's all they had back in the day.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 06:35 on May 8, 2016

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Eskaton posted:

I like how old people think it's hipster for kids to move where they work and actually have things to do beside go to Walmart and get high behind a stripmall.

Honestly I don't know what hipster means any more besides something that people under 40 like. And in about five years it won't even mean that.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

side_burned posted:

Honestly I don't know what hipster means any more besides something that people under 40 like. And in about five years it won't even mean that.

It means giving a poo poo about yourself, and wanting to get laid.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

My Imaginary GF posted:

Who gets laid by living in the suburbs? Meanwhile, ya walk to the club, you both walk back, and nobody gets a DUI

It's not that hard to get laid in the burbs man.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hopefully President Hillary will federalize WMATA so it'll be run like it should have been in the first place.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Panzeh posted:

It's not that hard to get laid in the burbs man.

Its a shitload easier to get laid when you can just walk back to your place while drunk, rather than risking DUI. Why the gently caress would you ever wanna DUI?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its a shitload easier to get laid when you can just walk back to your place while drunk, rather than risking DUI. Why the gently caress would you ever wanna DUI?

I don't think sobriety is the first issue here.

Content: most traffic plans I've seen regionally seem to plan for the next 30 years out, isn't this a bit uh.. presumptuous? Tech has changed an insane amount in the past 30 just with road surfacing equipment.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB1dYE5zIxU

While I don't think they can impress the Japanese the god drat Hawaii mother fuckers coming in HOT! Open gangways, surfboards, bike holders, no drivers!! WOW! Leading the nation Honolulu! This is the state of transit in the USA, Hawaii is bringing us what the rest of the world had 20+ years ago. Better late than never, proud of you Hawaii!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
What is the name of the rule that requires a gigantic desert of scalding hot parking lot between the road/sidewalk and the business? That's one of those "gently caress everyone without a car" rules, because there's no practical reason why you can't have parking in the back with the business right up on the sidewalk.

Orlando has tried this instead (in one place), which I prefer:

Mixed retail, office and residential, with parking on the roof. While the target itself is set-back the typical distance from the main road, the ocean of parking lot has been replaced with rows of medium-rise buildings with walk-in storefronts the entire distance.

I think those are condos on the right, and office space on the left, but I'm not sure, there's still a lot of resistance to mixing commercial and residential in one unit.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Harik posted:

What is the name of the rule that requires a gigantic desert of scalding hot parking lot between the road/sidewalk and the business? That's one of those "gently caress everyone without a car" rules, because there's no practical reason why you can't have parking in the back with the business right up on the sidewalk.

Mixed retail, office and residential, with parking on the roof. While the target itself is set-back the typical distance from the main road, the ocean of parking lot has been replaced with rows of medium-rise buildings with walk-in storefronts the entire distance.

I think those are condos on the right, and office space on the left, but I'm not sure, there's still a lot of resistance to mixing commercial and residential in one unit.

A planning professor told me a lot of national retail chains still insist on big setbacks with huge parking lots because they want people to know they can park at their stores. Not sure if that's changing or not, but I do know some chains have started doing urban formats that don't fit the traditional big box look.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Badger of Basra posted:

A planning professor told me a lot of national retail chains still insist on big setbacks with huge parking lots because they want people to know they can park at their stores. Not sure if that's changing or not, but I do know some chains have started doing urban formats that don't fit the traditional big box look.

It's signalling "cars welcome here" with oversupply. That's about it, really. Stores that can fill their parking lots even on the busiest days are the exception, not the rule. Strong Towns has a #BlackFridayparking series focusing on this.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Harik posted:

There's a musical hiding in here. One of the numbers will be titled "If I Had a Big Chain".

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Badger of Basra posted:

I don't know about other parts of the country, but in the north Denver metro area there are starting to be a lot of really weird, incongruous developments popping up. Like one new development was a bunch of small footprint rowhouses with walking distance commercial zoning, and literally across the street they're building a loving Wal-Mart and attached strip mall. The rowhouse area looks cool and will probably outlast the rest of the area, but it looks a little out of place across the street from standard suburbia.

Another collection of retail outlets even further out had a mixture of standard big box lot layout, coupled with narrow strets, parallel parking, downtown emulating traffic layout, but still next to big box stores. The worst part is that there are (purely decorative) parking meters installed as some sort of cargo cult extension of "downtown" :wtc:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Greatbacon posted:

Another collection of retail outlets even further out had a mixture of standard big box lot layout, coupled with narrow strets, parallel parking, downtown emulating traffic layout, but still next to big box stores. The worst part is that there are (purely decorative) parking meters installed as some sort of cargo cult extension of "downtown" :wtc:

Wait, what? Where is this? Asking as a former North-metro-Denver-liver.

(I'm guessing Thornton)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

There are these things called "taxis"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Maroon Hawk posted:

And if you live in the middle of nowhere, they're expensive and they take forever to arrive. I'm with MIGF on this one.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

PT6A posted:

And if you live in the middle of nowhere, they're expensive and they take forever to arrive. I'm with MIGF on this one.

Hmm maybe don't live in a bumfuck shithole then.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Harik posted:

Rooftop parking is a bit unusual because it requires the building to be able to support the weight of all the vehicles and that structure isn't cheap or unobtrusive. Rules of thumb for the cost of a structured parking space seem to start out around $15,000 and increase significantly as you go up or down. Multi-level subterranean parking can be over three times as expensive and is impossible in places with a high water table. Surface level parking is closer to $5,000 a space which is why it's so ubiquitous but some of that is driven by inordinately high parking requirements.

But the rule you're thinking of is minimum parking requirements. Developers are required to provide a certain number of parking spaces based on a formula, like 3 spaces per 1000 square feet office space, 4 spaces per 1000 square feet retail or 2 spaces per residential unit. Since most of those spaces aren't going to be used most of the time, developers are incentivized to build them as cheap as possible to reduce the cost because it's effectively a very silly tax. This is exacerbated by single use zoning requirements which prohibit mixed development, especially when they exclude "less intensive" land use patterns from zones designated for "more intensive" purposes. Many people don't like living next to retail or office space but enforcing these preferences on everyone else prevents mixed use developments like the one in Orlando.

Mixed use developments can make much more efficient use of parking even with the elevated requirements because even if there are circumstances where one particular use maxes out the spaces available, that generally happens when the other uses are near empty. So take some development with 66,000 square feet office space, 50,000 square feet retail and 100 attached residential units and instead of building 600 spaces total, they can build 200 while maintaining the same number of parking spaces that everyone is used to because of better reuse. That makes structured parking financially more viable and the resulting density allows for more efficient mass transit.

Mixed uses within a single building are more rare for a variety of reasons. I believe there's a perception that they're riskier and they're considered to be harder to manage because different tenants have different needs. There's also a lot of subtle design differences that make many uses difficult to mix within a single structure. For example the standard girder spacing for a hotel is very different from an office building, making it expensive to stack one on top of the other. In those cases it makes more sense to build two purpose-designed buildings next to each other.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Hmm maybe don't live in a bumfuck shithole then.

I don't. I live in a walkable urban area with passable transit for when it's needed, and short cab rides if I want to save some time. I wouldn't have it any other way; I'm just pointing out that the existence of taxis hardly makes the misery of living in suburbia any better.

Also, mixed-use buildings/developments are awesome because it means there's tonnes of restaurants and shops and offices all close to where I or other people are living. I don't need to walk a long way or drive to access whatever I need.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm just making fun of a guy who says he could never get laid in the suburbs myself.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Wait, what? Where is this? Asking as a former North-metro-Denver-liver.

(I'm guessing Thornton)

Not too far off, it was just barely Westminster. It's the REI near I-25 & 144th

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Rooftop parking is a bit unusual because it requires the building to be able to support the weight of all the vehicles and that structure isn't cheap or unobtrusive. Rules of thumb for the cost of a structured parking space seem to start out around $15,000 and increase significantly as you go up or down. Multi-level subterranean parking can be over three times as expensive and is impossible in places with a high water table. Surface level parking is closer to $5,000 a space which is why it's so ubiquitous but some of that is driven by inordinately high parking requirements.

How is it only 3x as expensive to build a multi-story parking garage as it is to tamp down some dirt and pour asphalt on it? I honestly would have pegged it at 10x as expensive if you'd asked me to guess. Is it land cost? That varies so wildly that it's hard to make a generalization about it.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

But the rule you're thinking of is minimum parking requirements. Developers are required to provide a certain number of parking spaces based on a formula, like 3 spaces per 1000 square feet office space, 4 spaces per 1000 square feet retail or 2 spaces per residential unit. Since most of those spaces aren't going to be used most of the time, developers are incentivized to build them as cheap as possible to reduce the cost because it's effectively a very silly tax. This is exacerbated by single use zoning requirements which prohibit mixed development, especially when they exclude "less intensive" land use patterns from zones designated for "more intensive" purposes. Many people don't like living next to retail or office space but enforcing these preferences on everyone else prevents mixed use developments like the one in Orlando.

Thanks. Minimum-parking requirements make a sort of sick sense in the wasteland of the 'burbs, but when a large fraction of your clientele live within a block it just seems useless. Where can I find resources on convincing zoning boards to reduce the parking requirements based on foot/bike traffic? I'm not developing myself, but I have a neighbor going for city council and I'd like to see if I can convince him to push for more sane policies in our area.

In better news: Last week they officially broke ground on the light rail expansion near me. Really near me - 3 miles. Two more years and I can take it to work!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Check into the recent trend in DC of apartment buildings petitioning zoning boards for variances allowing them to reduce parking spaces below the code minimum. Typically they argue profit, lowered desire for spaces, and that they'll provide transit related benefits in exchange (transit status boards in the lobby, carshare spaces, bike share memberships) in order to offset any impact on neighborhood street parking.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Harik posted:

How is it only 3x as expensive to build a multi-story parking garage as it is to tamp down some dirt and pour asphalt on it? I honestly would have pegged it at 10x as expensive if you'd asked me to guess. Is it land cost? That varies so wildly that it's hard to make a generalization about it.

parking structures are pretty simple to build. no complex plumbing, bare minimum electrical, no fancy decorations. just throw up a skeleton and pour concrete

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Taxis cost money. I'd rather spend that money at the local microbrew which sources from community gardens, than I would see that money go to China and OPEC.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Popular Thug Drink posted:

parking structures are pretty simple to build. no complex plumbing, bare minimum electrical, no fancy decorations. just throw up a skeleton and pour concrete

I'm still surprised that it's only 3x the cost of pouring asphalt on the dirt; you have to do ground-prep for both structures and you don't need the same level of engineering signoffs. Thinking about it though, draining a giant field of asphalt must be more expensive than something 1/3 to 1/4 the surface area.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Harik posted:

I'm still surprised that it's only 3x the cost of pouring asphalt on the dirt; you have to do ground-prep for both structures and you don't need the same level of engineering signoffs. Thinking about it though, draining a giant field of asphalt must be more expensive than something 1/3 to 1/4 the surface area.

Garages also have the advantage that they can use less weather-sensitive interior materials and that you can typically use your structural material (concrete) as your surface, so you don't have to spend all the time paving that a lot requires.

And yeah, drainage for parking lots is a huge issue, especially in ecologically sensitive areas or if your jurisdiction has an active county/city/township engineer.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What is the best way to communicate, 'You're driving, I don't give a poo poo if planting trees between the road and the lakefront pedestrian walkway ruins your loving view of the lake, you're supposed to keep your eyes on the loving road you loving nimbcompoop'?

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
Most garages are made of pre-cast concrete parts and can be thrown together in a matter of months with a mobile crane -- that's why the initial cost is only 3x as much as surface parking.

They then immediately become a maintenance nightmare since unlike a climate controlled building, all structural members are subject to freeze-thaw cycles. Since vehicles are coming in during the winter after roads are salted, they are also exposed to high levels of salt contamination.

This wrecks the concrete and corrodes the steel extremely quickly. If you park in an old garage and everything looks like it's falling apart, it's because it is. :ssh:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

donoteat posted:

Most garages are made of pre-cast concrete parts and can be thrown together in a matter of months with a mobile crane -- that's why the initial cost is only 3x as much as surface parking.

They then immediately become a maintenance nightmare since unlike a climate controlled building, all structural members are subject to freeze-thaw cycles. Since vehicles are coming in during the winter after roads are salted, they are also exposed to high levels of salt contamination.

This wrecks the concrete and corrodes the steel extremely quickly. If you park in an old garage and everything looks like it's falling apart, it's because it is. :ssh:

California doesn't care (Until the big one comes)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Also worth noting: there are places where you can rent parking out for more than you could an apartment, square foot-wise. Covered climate-controlled parking in downtown Calgary was going for $625/month and there was a waiting list until the price of oil collapsed. Now there's no waiting list, but I doubt prices have gone down hugely.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

My Imaginary GF posted:

What is the best way to communicate, 'You're driving, I don't give a poo poo if planting trees between the road and the lakefront pedestrian walkway ruins your loving view of the lake, you're supposed to keep your eyes on the loving road you loving nimbcompoop'?

'You're driving, I don't give a poo poo if planting trees between the road and the lakefront pedestrian walkway ruins your loving view of the lake, you're supposed to keep your eyes on the loving road you loving nimbcompoop'

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

PT6A posted:

Also worth noting: there are places where you can rent parking out for more than you could an apartment, square foot-wise. Covered climate-controlled parking in downtown Calgary was going for $625/month and there was a waiting list until the price of oil collapsed. Now there's no waiting list, but I doubt prices have gone down hugely.

What's the point of climate controlled parking? Your cars have heaters and A/C in them! :psyduck:

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Slaan posted:

What's the point of climate controlled parking? Your cars have heaters and A/C in them! :psyduck:

I think it's more like in that part of Canada it gets so cold that you need a engine block heater running overnight or else your car won't start, not that you might have to sweat for 5 minutes before the A/C kicks in.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gold and a Pager posted:

I think it's more like in that part of Canada it gets so cold that you need a engine block heater running overnight or else your car won't start, not that you might have to sweat for 5 minutes before the A/C kicks in.

Also the parkades can be connected via +15 so you don't have to go outside, not do you ever have to scrape ice off. They are never air conditioned, mind you. That would be silly.

Mind you, they are covered, and therefore do not become ovens in the summer.

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.
LA's up to 105 miles of Metro Rail. Another 15 miles under construction. Woohoo!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

'You're driving, I don't give a poo poo if planting trees between the road and the lakefront pedestrian walkway ruins your loving view of the lake, you're supposed to keep your eyes on the loving road you loving nimbcompoop'

That is exactly what I am saying, thank you. I loving love it when I'm the only one willing to speak the loving truth as I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Casual Yogurt posted:

LA's up to 105 miles of Metro Rail. Another 15 miles under construction. Woohoo!

Congrats to LA! With the Expo Line Part 2 open as of today,, Santa Monica once again has a rail link to downtown LA for the first time since the streetcar link shut down in 1953.

The link above is to a post by LA Metro discussing all the details of the project on their blog, The Source, which is just generally a good read since they're constantly posting interesting stuff about the transit projects and real problems facing public transport in the region. A good example of public communications by a transit agency done right. :3:

• Locked thread