Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damegane
May 7, 2013
Can't get scared of death if you can't die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Darth Walrus posted:

Chill bearded officer guy seems more likely. Mohawk seems more like an uptight, out-of-his-depth Bright Noa character who'll be required to take command after poo poo goes sideways. Mikumo, though? Yeah, odds are slim on her making it to the end of the series (on the heroes' side, at least). She's just too vast a presence for a secondary character.

I dunno, Messer doesn't seem out of his depth to me. He's the most professional and together of all of Delta squadron. He just seems like he doesn't grasp the overarching point of Magic Macross Music at all, given that his immediate response to the controlled Spacy troops was "loving kill them all, they knew the risks" and he has absolutely no loving time for people having fun with music at any point because this is war. To me that's a definite setup for him to catch the VAR(they had some very clear setup for this with him groaning and clutching his head a lot when the Evil Space Prince began singing) and then be saved by Magic Macross Music and start to grasp the actual point of the music besides "This is pretty good for stopping Space Riots".

I could see Mikumo hanging around in a cryptic advisory sort of role, but for her to fit that bill she's going to need to scale back her direct interventions in events because it's going to be hard for the other characters to shine if she keeps getting the ball rolling on fixing everything for them.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kanos posted:

I could see Mikumo hanging around in a cryptic advisory sort of role, but for her to fit that bill she's going to need to scale back her direct interventions in events because it's going to be hard for the other characters to shine if she keeps getting the ball rolling on fixing everything for them.

They could easily throw something in with Mikumo's fold waves being weaker than the rest once Freyja's got a grasp on things. Mikumo then is more about coordinating the folks pulling the real weight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Mikumo and Freyja are the only ones who can generate fold waves at all without loads of mechanical assistance.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
At least eps 4 and 5 actually help me want to keep watching. Depending on how they went I was possibly gonna quit.

So now there is some semblance of THIS IS WHAT THE SHOW IS ABOUT. If it wasn't a Macross show I probably wouldn't have even made it this far though.

Everyone still acts kind of weird however. I know this is both anime and Macross so things got really nutters back in the mid 90s and all but.. being able to relate and understand the actions of your characters is a good thing IMHO.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Rufus posted:

At least eps 4 and 5 actually help me want to keep watching. Depending on how they went I was possibly gonna quit.

So now there is some semblance of THIS IS WHAT THE SHOW IS ABOUT. If it wasn't a Macross show I probably wouldn't have even made it this far though.

Everyone still acts kind of weird however. I know this is both anime and Macross so things got really nutters back in the mid 90s and all but.. being able to relate and understand the actions of your characters is a good thing IMHO.

I don't have trouble relating to anyone in this show.

edit: except for the characters who's motivation we aren't supposed to know that is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm not really sure how any of the characters in this show are supposed to be unrelatable.

Hell if anything, they're all kinda cookie cutter.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

Who acts weird besides Mikumo, who is intentionally intended to be The Mysterious One?

Hayate: Snotty kid who finally found something he likes doing in life after drifting for a while. Has problems with authority, tends to do whatever he feels like without considering consequences.
Freyja: Up and coming newbie singer with magic powers.
Mirage: By-the-book pilot with a huge familial legacy to live up to.
Messer: By-the-book pilot, stickler for regulations, very combat-focused, has a goddamn grim reaper on his plane.
The Bad Guys: Believe themselves to have been wronged by the Spacy government, seek to fight a war of independence by manipulating the Var syndrome with alien artifacts and music in order to compensate for the gigantic gap in military strength.

Nobody else has really had enough screentime with us yet for us to care about them.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 7, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The more I think about it the more I think Hayate is kind of a poor man's Isamu; "problems with authority, tends to do whatever he feels like without considering consequences" is basically him to a T as well but man was he far more entertaining/charismatic to watch than this punk.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That kind of describes Basara too. It even kind of describes the lead in Zero really, considering he didn't care about any of his co-pilots and just piloted however he wanted at the beginning. I guess Kawamori just likes that kind of character.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

"Dickhead who acts impulsively and doesn't like authority" is one of the most common protagonist tropes in anime.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

e: whoa kinda big

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Cuuute

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
http://i.imgur.com/JnJCh7Z.gifv

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

dude dude

Episode six is the poo poo.

https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/7wyp.mp4

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 9, 2016

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

It was very very Macross. Also, I stand by my theory that Mikumo is a robot who does not understand human emotions.

Next episode: Mirage with animal ears. We haven't reached peak anime/Macross, but we're trying!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That was a really great episode. Messer revealing that he's intentionally playing Bad Cop instead of just being a huge toolbox makes him an instantly more likeable character, more Space Magic Music, and Hayate and Mirage actually developing a relationship besides "Hayate does something stupid, Mirage gets mad" are all excellent things.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Think messer is going to bite the dust

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Messer seems to have done an impressive job of kicking the jerk out of Hayate, and for that, I thank him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

That was a really great episode. Messer revealing that he's intentionally playing Bad Cop instead of just being a huge toolbox makes him an instantly more likeable character, more Space Magic Music, and Hayate and Mirage actually developing a relationship besides "Hayate does something stupid, Mirage gets mad" are all excellent things.

I don't think it made a huge difference to be honest, cause he's still just as stiff and formal with everyone else that he's not trying to make a better pilot. Arad and Kaname tried to be nice to him after that reveal and he just stone-walled them and walked off. There's presumably something bad in his backstory, but until it's revealed he's still a tool to me. I was more interested in what caused the scarring on Windermere and the fact that the Prince seemed to be singing at ruins on another planets for some reason. Also, Keith seems far more invested in making this war a personal matter and killing people than anyone else.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
RIP Bellri.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

a kitten posted:

e: whoa kinda big

Whoa, Osomatsu! (And some macross girls on the cover too).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

I don't think it made a huge difference to be honest, cause he's still just as stiff and formal with everyone else that he's not trying to make a better pilot. Arad and Kaname tried to be nice to him after that reveal and he just stone-walled them and walked off. There's presumably something bad in his backstory, but until it's revealed he's still a tool to me. I was more interested in what caused the scarring on Windermere and the fact that the Prince seemed to be singing at ruins on another planets for some reason. Also, Keith seems far more invested in making this war a personal matter and killing people than anyone else.

Yeah, Messer is definitely still a big jerk, it's just nice that there's a glimmer of something besides contempt in there to flesh out the character. He definitely has a long way to go before he's a Cool Dude, but by all appearances he's going to be getting a fair amount of story focus so it's okay that he's not a nice guy yet.

Keith looks like a straight up revenge story. Whatever conflict has the Windermerians so pissed at the Spacy probably involved their planet getting hosed up, so Keith wants blood vengeance. The ruins the prince was singing to looked like the alien artifact room on Windermere itself, so I would bet they're some kind of relay stations for the Var Control Song.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

After the whole speech about Hayate and Mirage only shooting to disable rather then kill, I'm guessing Messer will get Var'd and Hayate will end up saving him doing what he got scolded for.
Whatever that will make him more nicer or go on the whole "you should have totally killed me" will be a different thing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
They got new orders from lady M? Mikumo, don't pretend it's not you.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I hope it's Minmei.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Myung needed to find a new career.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

They got new orders from lady M? Mikumo, don't pretend it's not you.

I don't think they're hiding that at all. They referred to her as that to her face earlier.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

I don't think they're hiding that at all. They referred to her as that to her face earlier.

Yeah, but normally you just don't stand there when somebody else is relaying your orders. Can't she just put her hair in battle-mode (looks better that way anyways) and just tell them directly?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

a kitten posted:

I hope it's Minmei.

The SDF-1 was lost en-route to the center of the Galaxy. Not destroyed necessarily - it literally up and disappeared, getting lost. It's not likely to be found either with Minmei's VA not having any real love for the role and Hikaru's having commit suicide.

Lady M is more likely to be Mylene if it's a previously featured character. That said, I don't recall Mikumo being referred to as Lady M, but I could easily have forgotten it. She doesn't make sense to me though, since she never acts in command of even Walkure (that's Kaname), never mind Delta Squad too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm pretty sure that Kawamori has said he has no interest in revisiting those characters in any case, even without those rather huge reasons. To be perfectly honest i'm fine with just wondering what happened to them forever, even if i occasionally say stuff like that.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

tsob posted:

The SDF-1 was lost en-route to the center of the Galaxy. Not destroyed necessarily - it literally up and disappeared, getting lost.

It's the Megaroad-01 or SDF-2. C'mon, son.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
less mikumo is the absolute last thing the world needs

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Reina eats cutely.

Major Ricardo
Jan 30, 2001
Can Hayate "feel the wind" because he looks to be wearing a Vajra fold crystal?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of fold tech from Frontier, did Windermere get hit by an orbital Dimension Eater bombardment? :stare:

Yyyep, that'd piss anyone off.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Wow that was a good ep.

I didn't expect Rambo First Blood to be on Hayate's hands.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

tsob posted:

She doesn't make sense to me though, since she never acts in command of even Walkure (that's Kaname), never mind Delta Squad too.

Are we watching the same show? because I am pretty sure that she always acts in command (because she is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

ruins the prince was singing to looked like the alien artifact room on Windermere itself, so I would bet they're some kind of relay stations for the Var Control Song.

The subs list it as being on Planet Airberl when you see it, so I doubt it's on the same planet. I note that there's also a planet Alfheim mentioned on the starmap at the start of the episode, which seems auspicious in a show with a Walkure.

trucutru posted:

Are we watching the same show? because I am pretty sure that she always acts in command (because she is).

We mustn't be, because Kaname is in command of them. It's literally in her job description on the official site among other things. Mikumo is the lead singer, but Kaname is the leader of Walkure. It's why Mikumo is hoofing it around investigating stuff in episode one for instance, while Kaname is in the command center with Arad.

• Locked thread