Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
being a drone pilot must surely cause some sort of new mental illness as you play a computer game for hours at a time murdering real people

edit: Paul the Apostle pleads his case and testifies of Christianity before King Agrippa II of the Herodians, who responds "You almost persuade me to be a Christian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

being a drone pilot must surely cause some sort of new mental illness as you play a computer game for hours at a time murdering real people

edit: Paul the Apostle pleads his case and testifies of Christianity before King Agrippa II of the Herodians, who responds "You almost persuade me to be a Christian.

I havent read any proper studies on it so if someone could link any that would be great, but I thought one of the big positives of using drones means it doesn't feel 'real' to the people using them?

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Does anyone have a trusted poll (well, trusted as a poll can be) for the EU referendum in the last few days? I can't shake the feeling that we're about to sleepwalk into Brexit, with a strident Leave campaign getting the vote out while the broadly satisfied majority stay at home. Wouldn't suprise me if Cameron is keeping back some massive fear-bomb to get the Remain vote out in the last few days. Shame the politics of fear became so unfashionable lately.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its a mother jones link but http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/03/drone-pilots-are-quitting-record-numbers

basically everyone on the military looks down on them which destroys morale while they work ridiculous hours everyone is quitting

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

It literally does, this has been and is being documented

Although I wouldn't really call it a new mental illness so much as a bunch of existing problems in a new context (the new context being that instead of not seeing your wife for a year and then going home and giving her the thousand yard stare for a while before pissing off abroad again, you get to do that every single day)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Galaspar posted:

Does anyone have a trusted poll (well, trusted as a poll can be) for the EU referendum in the last few days? I can't shake the feeling that we're about to sleepwalk into Brexit, with a strident Leave campaign getting the vote out while the broadly satisfied majority stay at home. Wouldn't suprise me if Cameron is keeping back some massive fear-bomb to get the Remain vote out in the last few days. Shame the politics of fear became so unfashionable lately.
The politics of fear becoming unfashionable is a good thing (even a good thing for Jeremy Corbyn). Maybe Cameron will actually try promising something good instead.

Or maybe prominent politicians from around Europe will make a last minute Vow. :allears:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

It was a while ago, but I remember hearing a report on the Americans doing it - a big part of it is that the operators can treat it as a normal day job, because they're not actually in the conflict zone. They can drive in to the base (in the US), put in a day's work, then drive back home to their families and relax in the suburbs. It makes it easier to decompress, and to put distance between their jobs and the realities of what they're actually doing

Also remember this was predicted by Toys starring Robin Williams and LL Cool J

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose there's always the option that the referendum passes, we vote to leave, the tories destroy themselves in the aftermath, the government loses its majority and the ability to pass legislation, including any legislation to actually implement a UK exit, the government gets dissolved and labour wins the subsequent election, then doesn't actually leave the EU because lol not our election promise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

baka kaba posted:

It was a while ago, but I remember hearing a report on the Americans doing it - a big part of it is that the operators can treat it as a normal day job, because they're not actually in the conflict zone. They can drive in to the base (in the US), put in a day's work, then drive back home to their families and relax in the suburbs. It makes it easier to decompress, and to put distance between their jobs and the realities of what they're actually doing

Also remember this was predicted by Toys starring Robin Williams and LL Cool J

everyone in the military hates them for it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Motherfuckers don't bitch when I can lase targets for the A10 anywhere in the AO, or tell them where the last fucker is hiding so they can finish the mission.

Drone pilot best job in ArmA

Especially when you do the entire thing from the front seat of the little UAV tank which I like to call the drone throne.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

its a mother jones link but http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/03/drone-pilots-are-quitting-record-numbers

basically everyone on the military looks down on them which destroys morale while they work ridiculous hours everyone is quitting

That's pretty amazing. Half their pilots drop out so they throw a whole $500 at the problem

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007

OvineYeast posted:

It's basically to do with the spread of the votes, which makes a big difference under FPTP. If your vote goes up in marginals, but down everywhere else, your seats will stay the same even though your total vote goes down. Basically I think it suggests that Labour had a good ground campaign, independent of national factors, though there are other ways you could get a change in the way votes are spread.

Does this then mean that in the locals Labour did better in the marginals, and were therefore able to retain so many seats despite a 7% or so drop in PNS? As that would be pretty good news for Labour, given a key criticism of Corbyn/the Labour left is that they will only increase support in strongholds rather than in marginals. I haven't looked into the locals in too much detail, but I do recall Labour doing rather well in marginal areas - including almost gaining a couple of seats in places like West Worthling (basically Tory country).

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Guavanaut posted:

Or maybe prominent politicians from around Europe will make a last minute Vow. :allears:

I will laugh like a madman if that did actually become the case. Nothing like sweet irony.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Looking back it's amazing just how little the Vow even said.

Basically just that the Scottish Parliament will remain in place and NHS spending decisions will remain with it, plus a vague promise of new powers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm very much opposed to the bottom fifth of the Vow and I think most of Scotland is too.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Galaspar posted:

Witness and suffer!

http://whatukthinks.org/eu/opinion-polls/poll-of-polls/

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

I'm very much opposed to the bottom fifth of the Vow and I think most of Scotland is too.

They could have picked better photos

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namtab posted:

They could have picked better photos

I think you mean it would have been nice if they had used better photos.

The assertion that this was a possibility is a little strong, I fear.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Maybe they each got to pick each others.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

Looking back it's amazing just how little the Vow even said.

Dave looking like he's prepped for oral sex with pig, ed getting ready for Christmas special with his dog gromit, Nick sweating over his electoral chances

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I like how ed underlines both parts of his name separately

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

I like how ed underlines both parts of his name separately

it makes it look like they're both doin' lil' kickflips

awwww

eds still not cool

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Each part of his name is important

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

They call me "Red Ed" but really

*pulls out sk8r boi rockin' sweet board*

in the zone, they call me Rad Ed *dons sunglasses, 720s into sunset*

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Are you rad enough to gleam the cube?

...h-hell yea

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Only one part of that trio remains, soon we can discard the vow

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

They call me "Red Ed" but really

*pulls out sk8r boi rockin' sweet board*

in the zone, they call me Rad Ed *dons sunglasses, 720s into sunset*

Shred ed

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Jose posted:

have you ever been to florida?

Of course, the weather's nicer for one, the local supermarket chain is owned by its employees and according to a report has apparently never laid anyone off. Ocala National Park is one of the most beautiful places I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. My father-in-law is also buried in the National Cemetery which is sadly the reason I spent most of last November in Florida.

More importantly, my visa wouldn't cost anywhere near what we've had to pay for my wife to stay in the UK (Which is currently up to about £8000-£9000) and I could afford a sizable house for about 1/3 of the price of my current place.

However, like I said, it's an option. One I'm not going to take yet. That said, they even have decent cider now. The whole worlds gone mad!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Venmoch posted:

Of course, the weather's nicer for one, the local supermarket chain is owned by its employees and according to a report has apparently never laid anyone off. Ocala National Park is one of the most beautiful places I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. My father-in-law is also buried in the National Cemetery which is sadly the reason I spent most of last November in Florida.

More importantly, my visa wouldn't cost anywhere near what we've had to pay for my wife to stay in the UK (Which is currently up to about £8000-£9000) and I could afford a sizable house for about 1/3 of the price of my current place.

However, like I said, it's an option. One I'm not going to take yet. That said, they even have decent cider now. The whole worlds gone mad!

:eyepop:

Florida is the ultimate "nice place to visit, but wouldn't live there".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My pop culture knowledge of florida is that it's full of crusty old white american republicans.

Imagine a country of a million hitlers who look like your nan.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Klaus88 posted:

:eyepop:

Florida is the ultimate "nice place to visit, but wouldn't live there".

Seriously. I lived there for years, and the schools and health care were poo poo. I can only imagine things have gotten worse under Rick Scott, America's Worst Governor™

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
You have Disneyworld and The Fest once a year which I guess would be cool. I'm torn between teaching English in South America or Asia as my leave the country by the end of the year plan.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder, do referendums (referenda?) have to have only two votes? How easy would it have been to leave it as two, but package it with a multiple choice opinion poll to add context? As in, I am right now voting yes/no because x/y/z, or you have one ballot with idk like six choices in two groups so you can make an accurate choice even though there's only two outcomes.

Seems like it would be useful in cases where there's several mutually exclusive reasons for wanting either outcome, such as euref and indyref.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/10/bbc-told-to-stop-race-for-ratings/

quote:

The BBC’s founding mission statement, “to inform, educate and entertain”, is to be rewritten by ministers for the first time, The Telegraph has learnt.
The principles, established by the BBC’s founding director-general Lord Reith nearly 100 years ago, will be adapted to add that the broadcaster must be distinct and impartial.
John Whittingdale, the Culture Secretary, will announce tomorrow that the BBC’s historic remit will change, after fears that the broadcaster’s output has become too similar to commercial competitors.

Lord Reith adopted the statement in 1922 and it has served as a guiding principle for the corporation’s programmes and services ever since.
However, a White Paper on the BBC’s future size and scope, published tomorrow, will make it clear that ministers believe the mission statement is not tightly drawn enough to compel the broadcaster to make high-quality programmes.
It will be rewritten to say that the corporation should make “impartial, distinctive content” that informs, educates and entertains.

A postscript will also be added, containing more detail about how programmes should be clearly delineated from those offered by the commercial sector.
The corporation has faced criticism for buying in US formats, such as The Voice, and Mr Whittingdale has published research suggesting that BBC One has become more similar to commercial rivals over the past few years.
However, he is likely to make it clear that he does not believe that any of the BBC’s flagship entertainment shows, such as Strictly Come Dancing or The Great British Bake Off, would fall foul of the new statement.

After complaints from Tory MPs that the broadcaster has a Left-wing bias, a requirement to be impartial will also be written into the mission statement. Ofcom, the media regulator, will be given powers to investigate impartiality complaints for the first time.
The BBC Trust, the corporation’s governing body, is to be abolished and Mr Whittingdale will establish a powerful unitary board to run it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I wonder, do referendums (referenda?) have to have only two votes? How easy would it have been to leave it as two, but package it with a multiple choice opinion poll to add context? As in, I am right now voting yes/no because x/y/z, or you have one ballot with idk like six choices in two groups so you can make an accurate choice even though there's only two outcomes.

Seems like it would be useful in cases where there's several mutually exclusive reasons for wanting either outcome, such as euref and indyref.

Way back when the SNP did want a 3 option poll with Devo Max as well as independence & no change. Using a ranked preference. The Coalition insisted on s straight yes/no.

A referendum is specifically to establish a mandate for a particular action. Isn't your suggestion uust going to muddy the waters? It doesn't matter why people vote Yes in June - whether they're coming from a TUSC or UKIP background they are voting for the government to invoke article whatever of the Lisbon treaty to leave the EU. Everything that comes after that is decided in further general elections

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I for one trust John Whittingdale, famed whore fucker, spanky wanky fan and homophobe, to oversee the quality of the bbcs output. Actually I wouldnt mind a bbc wank channel, could put it in place of bbc parliament.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Cerv posted:

Way back when the SNP did want a 3 option poll with Devo Max as well as independence & no change. Using a ranked preference. The Coalition insisted on s straight yes/no.

A referendum is specifically to establish a mandate for a particular action. Isn't your suggestion uust going to muddy the waters? It doesn't matter why people vote Yes in June - whether they're coming from a TUSC or UKIP background they are voting for the government to invoke article whatever of the Lisbon treaty to leave the EU. Everything that comes after that is decided in further general elections

Yeah referendums generally have to be a distinct binary choice, because otherwise all sides accuse the others of splitting the vote, confusing the electorate, or claiming that because "Michael Gove physically repels me" was the top reason people voted Remain that actually there was a clear mandate to Leave.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
So we've got the tories committing electoral fraud and dismantling the BBC along with the massive u turns by Hunt and Morgan. Should be a good PMQ's.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Just clicking around the telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/10/eu-to-launch-kettle-and-toaster-crackdown-after-brexit-vote2/

Jippa fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

So we've got the tories committing electoral fraud and dismantling the BBC along with the massive u turns by Hunt and Morgan. Should be a good PMQ's.

you're optimistic

• Locked thread