Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Quantum Toast posted:

Oh hell, I just realised. The two animals he's named after are a canine (Anubis) and a wading bird (Thoth/Jehuty). Somebody tell me that's a coincidence.

:d:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hahaha, wow, Leo's life sucks.

He gets to pilot a kickass robot.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hahaha, wow, Leo's life sucks.

He deserves it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AzraelNewtype posted:

ZoE2 is much harder than ZoE1, right? I finally got around to starting the HD version after not getting very far on the PS2 and just never getting back to it, and it's kicking my rear end in ways that I definitely don't remember the first game doing. Even Raptors are threatening. Hell, I actually died a couple times before the title card. It's blowing my mind.

What I heard is that the HD version uses the rerelease as a basis. Eliminated easy and moved everything else down a slot.

I can believe it. I died twice as often to one fight with some raptors in ZoE 2 as I did in the entirety of ZoE 1.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
So was that Noman guy supposed to have the hots for Viola or something? Cuz he seemed awfully upset about the death of an insubordinate suicidal soldier that literally threatened to murder him :v:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

ousire posted:

So was that Noman guy supposed to have the hots for Viola or something? Cuz he seemed awfully upset about the death of an insubordinate suicidal soldier that literally threatened to murder him :v:

It becomes more clear in the next game but Nohman seems to have a weird respect for skilled pilots. Im not sure if its supposed to be love and instead just some weird compradeship and respect. Viola seemed to have the same deal with Radium where she wasnt really so much as in love with him and more he was the only reason she was living anymore from what i remember.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
BAHRAM is comprised of evil goons...but in anime form.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I just remembered that Taper exists and how much goons will assuredly love him

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

HGH posted:

I'm wondering if the guys will show the intro, because, spoiler filled as it may be, I feel confident saying it's one of the best game intros ever made. I could recite it piece by piece from how many times I watched the whole thing when booting up the game.

You are not alone.

Even tho Z of the E 2 is my #1 favorite game of all time and is categorically better than 1 in every regard (except maybe the lack of a world map, I loved flying around Antilia), I still actually like ZOE1. It's been a real bummer for me seeing it get ripped apart so much here the last few weeks, but I think it still has its charm and the art/music direction is great. Is anyone else out there in my boat? :shobon:

It wasn't shown but here's the intro movie for the game that plays if you leave the title screen idle. The song is weird but I still like it a lot, it's very haunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B19-YKS1Uk0

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

I think it still has its charm and the art/music direction is great. Is anyone else out there in my boat? :shobon:

:hfive: I'm right there with you. I love the music in ZoE1 and the mech designs are incredible. ZoE2 is a very good game, but part 1 just has a certain charm in its roughness in certain areas while being so incredibly butter smooth in most of the important ones.

I was really disappointed when I heard that the HD collection ran like hot garbage and am still disappointed that there will never be a ZoE3.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

lmfao just noticed around the 1:04 mark an explosion happens and the FPS tanks to poo poo and they still included it in the reel. jesus loving christ highvoltage is terrible.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

beep by grandpa posted:

Even tho Z of the E 2 is my #1 favorite game of all time and is categorically better than 1 in every regard (except maybe the lack of a world map, I loved flying around Antilia), I still actually like ZOE1. It's been a real bummer for me seeing it get ripped apart so much here the last few weeks, but I think it still has its charm and the art/music direction is great. Is anyone else out there in my boat? :shobon:

ZOE1 is a cool game and I like it

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I like ZoE1 too, even if it's short while technically being 66% padded and has lazy writing in regards to Celvice (not to mention my extreme lack of patience with any character I deem following the Shinji Ikari archetype.)

The core concept is fun and good. The game while being mostly padding is still short enough that it doesn't overstay it's welcome.
It still has problems and I will still bash it for those problems but the above remains true.

Plus ZoE2 exists so overall the series is a net Good no matter what :smuggo:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
ZOE1 is a fine game so long as you don't pay more than 20 bucks for it. And that's not a knock on it. Going from watching Gundam Wing to this game blew my mind. They nailed the combat in this game, and I was hooked immediately after flying around a couple times. Going from this to Armored Core depressed me immensely.

The game doesn't nail everything perfectly, and its really short, but considering all I did was rent it on PS2 and bought the HD collection for 11 bucks, I'd say I'm pretty drat satisfied with getting my moneys worth.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I wouldn't have minded it if Celvice had stayed in the cockpit with Leo the whole game. A co-commentator that wasn't a robot might've been nice.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

lmfao just noticed around the 1:04 mark an explosion happens and the FPS tanks to poo poo and they still included it in the reel. jesus loving christ highvoltage is terrible.

It seems like their attempt at doing a cool cut to slow motion. Or the FPS really DID tank to poo poo and whoever was editing the footage mistook it for slow motion (or thought it worked as slow motion).

Akogare Zephyr
Apr 29, 2013

Oooh yes, I agree. Having Celvice there the entire time would have been interesting. In fact, I would have liked ADA and Celvice to talk to each other, too. If this game were longer and had more time spent on breathing out the story more the dynamic between these three characters could have been really fascinating. Aww well, at least the game look super fun to play even though I've never had the opportunity to play any of these games. Sorry if it's silly to ask, but is it harder than it looks?

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.

beep by grandpa posted:

That cutscene was just copy and pasted from the PS2 game (so it kind of looks a bit like grainy poo poo in HD.) The actual HD Collection has a new anime cutscene for ZOE1 & 2 (mostly 2) that features a lot of anime titties and people loving around with an orb for some reason.

Akogare Zephyr posted:

Oooh yes, I agree. Having Celvice there the entire time would have been interesting. In fact, I would have liked ADA and Celvice to talk to each other, too. If this game were longer and had more time spent on breathing out the story more the dynamic between these three characters could have been really fascinating. Aww well, at least the game look super fun to play even though I've never had the opportunity to play any of these games. Sorry if it's silly to ask, but is it harder than it looks?

Did ADA ever even acknowledge Celvice was in the cockpit half of the game beyond when Leo was whining in response to something she said?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Nohman posted:

That cutscene was just copy and pasted from the PS2 game (so it kind of looks a bit like grainy poo poo in HD.)

For the title reels in both games they recorded new gameplay footage from the HD engine to cut in there and ditched the old footage. I know this because I am a freak who memorized exactly every frame of the gameplay footage back when I was 16 haha. How does it feel to be owned by a ZOE master, Nohman?

For real though I don't like how they re-created each scene cause they did a very poor job of making it look cool. Compare the laser dodge from the 3 Halberd-ing Mummyheads in the HD edition vid I linked above (1:08) with the footage from the PS2 release below (at 1:12). I wish they spent more time trying to recreate these shots cause it doesn't look nearly as cool as the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiafxwNDzX0

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 10, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Come to think of it, Strike Suit Zero is an often overlooked little PC game that plays a bit like Star Fox in a way that consists of being in a mecha suit with an AI of modest sass chatting you up. Might be of interest to some of you, it's a good game regardless.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Come to think of it, Strike Suit Zero is an often overlooked little PC game that plays a bit like Star Fox in a way that consists of being in a mecha suit with an AI of modest sass chatting you up. Might be of interest to some of you, it's a good game regardless.

Get the directors cut though. It adds some quality of life things, is better balanced and cuts out one of the hardest missions in the game (because it's an extra one you do before you get the titular strike suit.)

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

beep by grandpa posted:

You are not alone.

It wasn't shown but here's the intro movie for the game that plays if you leave the title screen idle. The song is weird but I still like it a lot, it's very haunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B19-YKS1Uk0

The full version is neat too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPE8EesftLg

And here are the lyrics

http://www.animelyrics.com/game/zoneoftheenders/kissmesunlights.htm

Zone of the Enders has great music, both games. I still love Beyond the Bounds.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Repo Man posted:

The full version is neat too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPE8EesftLg

And here are the lyrics

http://www.animelyrics.com/game/zoneoftheenders/kissmesunlights.htm

Zone of the Enders has great music, both games. I still love Beyond the Bounds.

Definitely an awesome song, but I'm always going to know now that the epic chorus is really awful Engrish.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

You know I never really noticed this game having a bad translation, can someone go more indepth? Did MGS2 have the same translation as well?

Remember how they got Venus in Cancer from Venusian Crabs?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The one part that really stood out to me, even back when I had no grasp of English or how the translation process worked, is one lategame boss in ZoE2 whose sentences sounds like something out of a Chinese bootleg.

But it's mostly in sentence structure and (over)use of some words you wouldn't normally.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

chitoryu12 posted:

Definitely an awesome song, but I'm always going to know now that the epic chorus is really awful Engrish.

"Hold me moonshine" might just be one of the greatest bits of Engrish to ever be said. :allears:

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

chitoryu12 posted:

What about Beyond the Bounds being sung in an almost entirely made up language based on Finnish, except the English parts (which actually make sense)? The music in NieR at least cleverly hides actual lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Niruwh4UwS8

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

You know I never really noticed this game having a bad translation, can someone go more indepth? Did MGS2 have the same translation as well?

Remember how they got Venus in Cancer from Venusian Crabs?

Basically, there's a lot of lines that would not be used by a native English speaker, especially in the context the game uses.

I will say, though, that the delivery of those ridiculous lines is generally better than you might expect. Dingo's got a nice verbal smirk to a lot of his dialog.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

Basically, there's a lot of lines that would not be used by a native English speaker, especially in the context the game uses.

I will say, though, that the delivery of those ridiculous lines is generally better than you might expect. Dingo's got a nice verbal smirk to a lot of his dialog.

Viola's also got some really good voice work. Jean Mazzei pulls out all the stops on her final monologue as she falls into Jupiter.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 17, 2016

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Aithon posted:

"Hold me moonshine" might just be one of the greatest bits of Engrish to ever be said. :allears:

Makes me think of some deep woods bar brawl getting started. One patron turns to his brother, hands over his mug "Hold me moonshine" and all hell breaks loose. XD

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Wait, was Bounder the final weapon that also didn't suck?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SorataYuy posted:

Makes me think of some deep woods bar brawl getting started. One patron turns to his brother, hands over his mug "Hold me moonshine" and all hell breaks loose. XD

But he says it with the exact same inflection as in the song.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Wait, was Bounder the final weapon that also didn't suck?

Yeah, it doesn't get much use since you get it basically right before the game finishes, but if you a little below an enemy you can mess 'em up real quick. There's very little downtime between throwing them so you can spam them fairly well.

ALSO I think ZOE2 will begin sometime this weekend. I do have some free time at the moment but it's all getting used up by Uncharted 4 and loading up the model viewer to zoom up on Sully's mustache.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Chip Cheezum posted:

ALSO I think ZOE2 will begin sometime this weekend. I do have some free time at the moment but it's all getting used up by Uncharted 4 and loading up the model viewer to zoom up on Sully's mustache.
Goddamnit, thanks for reminding me that I have the entire Uncharted collection to play through before I can even think about getting 4..

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ZOE2's subweapons were so much better. Even the returning ones got a much-needed boost of functionality.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Chip Cheezum posted:

Yeah, it doesn't get much use since you get it basically right before the game finishes, but if you a little below an enemy you can mess 'em up real quick. There's very little downtime between throwing them so you can spam them fairly well.

If that isn't the thumbnail for any U4 stream you do, so help me God

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Speedball posted:

ZOE2's subweapons were so much better. Even the returning ones got a much-needed boost of functionality.

Everything was useful. I had fun as a teenager just swapping them as much as possible. Almost every single one of them (except I think Comet) is pressure sensitive too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I swear Hideo Kojima was the only guy who ever made use of those pressure sensitive face buttons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Speedball posted:

I swear Hideo Kojima was the only guy who ever made use of those pressure sensitive face buttons.

Star Ocean 3 :argh: That loving ride maze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Speedball posted:

The PS2 version of Need For Speed: Most Wanted used them too. They were about as useful as you'd expect.
As an added bonus they were still analog in the menus and the deadzone was too big, so you had to press the poo poo out of them while menuing. That got old fast.

• Locked thread