Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

WCCFT seems to have legit photos of 1080 hardware. http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-pcb-gp104-gddr5x/

That whole double-the-bandwidth thing with SLI in the new generation? Turns out it's just physically using both sets of fingers, it seems, and not say, NVLink running across there. =|

Can't ever trust Nvidia, no you can't. Say goodbye to your triple and quad SLI setups, folks.

We already knew that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It's not too late to jump on the XDMA bandwagon

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think you just don't get the PASCAL BONUS bandwidth if you TRI~SLI, that's my theory.

e: looks like i was right http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2478241

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 12, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

as far as these things go this is very cheap lol, by people who care about that stuff its supposed to be game changing.

I know it's just the juxtaposition i find funny.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I think you just don't get the PASCAL BONUS bandwidth if you TRI~SLI, that's my theory.

e: looks like i was right http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2478241

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
My speculation is they're going to announce special NVlink motherboards and cards that support 3 and 4 way SLI and use it as a new market segmentation point to collect an extra 100 dollars from people who don't care about prices. I was very anti NVlink for a while because it was making a bus faster and more expensive that already wasn't close to being saturated and didn't need to be more expensive, but if the mainstream stuff stays the same price and it serves as an extra revenue source from people who don't care everything feels good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The bus was definitely saturated in compute applications, and for VR SLI.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

craig588 posted:

My speculation is they're going to announce special NVlink motherboards and cards that support 3 and 4 way SLI and use it as a new market segmentation point to collect an extra 100 dollars from people who don't care about prices. I was very anti NVlink for a while because it was making a bus faster and more expensive that already wasn't close to being saturated and didn't need to be more expensive, but if the mainstream stuff stays the same price and it serves as an extra revenue source from people who don't care everything feels good.

Even with E-ATX you'd struggle to fit two NVLink cards in a desktop, since the gigantic mezzanine connectors require the card to sit flush against the motherboard.

PCI-E is hitting the limits of what can be done with right-angle interconnects, and NVLink has ten times more pins :shittypop:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
And the prices they do be a'fallin': EVGA 980Ti FTW for $475 after rebate at MicroCenter.

How looooooooow can they go?

Considering I just sold mine for $450, I might just go buy one...

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

And the prices they do be a'fallin': EVGA 980Ti FTW for $475 after rebate at MicroCenter.

How looooooooow can they go?

Considering I just sold mine for $450, I might just go buy one...

I've been asking this but seriously at what point would it be reasonable to buy into a 980 Ti if I was a gamblin man who didn't want to wait for the benchmarks?

Is $400 for a nice card a sure bet? Or is the 1070 going to be that good at VR?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I've got a question about Vulkan. How do you uh, use it?

I've got a Titan-x and I'm getting Doom, and apparently Doom runs really good on Vulkan so I thought I would try it out but I have no idea how it actually works. Do I just download and install it, then chose Vulkan in an in-game setting? Can I have both Vulkan and DirectX on the same windows install without any problems?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

I've been asking this but seriously at what point would it be reasonable to buy into a 980 Ti if I was a gamblin man who didn't want to wait for the benchmarks?

I mean, that calculus depends 100% on what you plan on using it for. Smart money says Maxwell is gonna be kinda poo poo on DX12, so if you're looking for a card that'll do AAA titles for awhile, the 1000 series looks like a much better bet at nearly any price. VR I'd actually think will be somewhat less of an issue, simply because the current Maxwell install base is large enough to force companies to find a way to Make It Work for awhile. That said, again, the 1000 series looks like a much better bet overall, and considering a 1070 should be about the equivalent of a 980Ti, there's really no reason to buy one above $300 unless you either have to have a card RIGHT NOW, or you are willing to roll the dice on return policies and/or EVGA's Step Up program to get you to a 1000 series card a month from now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kramjacks posted:

I've got a question about Vulkan. How do you uh, use it?

I've got a Titan-x and I'm getting Doom, and apparently Doom runs really good on Vulkan so I thought I would try it out but I have no idea how it actually works. Do I just download and install it, then chose Vulkan in an in-game setting? Can I have both Vulkan and DirectX on the same windows install without any problems?

Yep! Exactly right on both. It's a render engine so it'll be an ingame selector of some kind, or maybe a command line switch or something like that. But definitely something per-game.

You may have to install beta drivers for your GPU but give it a try with what you've got first.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

You may have to install beta drivers for your GPU but give it a try with what you've got first.

AMD and NV have both been shipping Vulkan in their stable drivers for a while now.

Dooms Vulkan renderer won't be ready for launch day though: http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/DOOM-Will-Receive-Vulkan-Patch-Shortly-After-Launch

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

One of the main things Nvidia has emphasized about the 10 series cards is how good they are at VR. I mean, I guess Nvidia could just be lying through their teeth at everyone but that seems pretty pointlessly stupid since we will have benchmarks soon enough and if Nvidia has been bullshitting everyone they will just end up with egg on their faces when it turns out that Pascal is no better for VR than previous cards were.

Really, if we are going to distrust them this much why not just say that every claim they made was a lie?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

One of the main things Nvidia has emphasized about the 10 series cards is how good they are at VR. I mean, I guess Nvidia could just be lying through their teeth at everyone but that seems pretty pointlessly stupid since we will have benchmarks soon enough and if Nvidia has been bullshitting everyone they will just end up with egg on their faces when it turns out that Pascal is no better for VR than previous cards were.

You're not going to see the benefits of the VR-specific stuff they talked about for a while, it takes time to integrate those features into all the engines.

Maxwell had a nice VR optimization too (multi-res shading) and even now the only place you can use it is in Nvidias customized branch of UE4.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

You're not going to see the benefits of the VR-specific stuff they talked about for a while, it takes time to integrate those features into all the engines.

Some of the features only require support from the VR runtimes, and those teams have had 10x0 samples for some time.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Some of the features only require support from the VR runtimes, and those teams have had 10x0 samples for some time.

I can't imagine how they'd implement the new Pascal features (Lens Matched Shading/Single Pass Stereo) without cooperation from the renderer, but the new VRWorks documentation isn't available yet so I'm just guessing :shrug:

They've put both of them in the Game Developer pile, not the Headset Developer pile: https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Watch the Dell Outlet store for a S2716DG refurb while they're running a "35-40% off monitors" coupon, or get an XB270HU from the AcerRecertified site/ebay store. You can be in for $300-400 pretty easily depending on what you are willing to settle for in terms of TN/IPS and condition.

S2716DG brand new is $539 on Amazon right now apparently:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0

In general, these are much nicer than the XB270HU right? I use a 1920x1200 Dell monitor currently and they've always seemed pretty high quality.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Evil Fluffy posted:

S2716DG brand new is $539 on Amazon right now apparently:
http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0

In general, these are much nicer than the XB270HU right? I use a 1920x1200 Dell monitor currently and they've always seemed pretty high quality.

No, they're worse because they're TN panels, not IPS.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Evil Fluffy posted:

TN is worse than IPS but Dell has much better quality control than Acer. A Dell TN is much nicer than an Acer TN.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Do people like this buy stuff just for the sake of buying it? What the gently caress is the point in putting 4xSLI - a few more frames in a benchmark or something?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

Do people like this buy stuff just for the sake of buying it? What the gently caress is the point in putting 4xSLI - a few more frames in a benchmark or something?

It's a hobby and they have money. Why do people spend so much time carving wood? Or playing chess? Or reloading ammo?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Bardeh posted:

I know people who have three 40" 4k monitors, I imagine it takes a lot of GPU horsepower to render 25 million pixels.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's a hobby and they have money. Why do people spend so much time carving wood? Or playing chess? Or reloading ammo?

Because reloading ammo saves money.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

And carving wood creates handmade objects, and playing chess has been shown to enhance late life brain function and problem-solving skills.

Buying 8 top of the line GPUs doesn't even mine you bitcoin anymore.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

wargames posted:

Because reloading ammo saves money.

Takes a lot of time, and you usually just end up shooting more.

Maybe I should have said clean guns, a lot of people do it more often than needed because it's cathartic.

Kazinsal posted:

And carving wood creates handmade objects, and playing chess has been shown to enhance late life brain function and problem-solving skills.

Hmm. Then maybe it's just rampant consumerism

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

People play Chess because they enjoy it regardless of the benefits. People build crazy computers because they enjoy it regardless of the benefits.

What a cold and boring world you must live in that enjoying something isn't enough reason to do it.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Spending a shitload of extra money on something for no benefit is pretty lovely hobby imo.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

People play Chess because they enjoy it regardless of the benefits. People build crazy computers because they enjoy it regardless of the benefits.

What a cold and boring world you must live in that enjoying something isn't enough reason to do it.

It's a warm and exciting world because I don't spend all my savings and income on top of the line graphics cards I can barely use, and instead spend it on things like heat and food.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

repiv posted:

I can't imagine how they'd implement the new Pascal features (Lens Matched Shading/Single Pass Stereo) without cooperation from the renderer, but the new VRWorks documentation isn't available yet so I'm just guessing :shrug:

They've put both of them in the Game Developer pile, not the Headset Developer pile: https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks

IIRC there are pieces related to scheduling that are driver+hardware and not in VRWorks. They don't really have to advertise things like that to the HMD vendors, since the vendors asked for the features in the first place.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

It's a warm and exciting world because I don't spend all my savings and income on top of the line graphics cards I can barely use, and instead spend it on things like heat and food.

I'm I'm still not seeing how a world that places no value on enjoying things could be "warm and exciting", though I guess something like burning to death would be "warm and exciting" while not being very enjoyable at all. :shrug:

Kramjacks posted:

Spending a shitload of extra money on something for no benefit is pretty lovely hobby imo.

And if there was nothing to be gained you would be right.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

don't you not necessarily need CUDA operations to be bridged via SLI anyway, the scaling for graphics on SLI vanishes by the third GPU.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
maybe there's a position somewhere between "my life is a joyless void" and "spending thousands of dollars on electronics is the same as playing chess"

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
If you think about it, a high end desktop is about the most efficient source of heat you can get. Computation AND heat! So buy more hardware and turn your heating off :q:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Owning 4 GPUs lets you know you have the absolute maximum. That has an appeal to some people. As far as putting regular infusions of cash into something where they depreciate rapidly, it's like owning a boat on a small scale.

AEMINAL posted:

If you think about it, a high end desktop is about the most efficient source of heat you can get. Computation AND heat! So buy more hardware and turn your heating off :q:

Pretty sure electronics are less efficient about it than actual heaters.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

xthetenth posted:

Pretty sure electronics are less efficient about it than actual heaters.

The difference is like 1-2% though. :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Truga posted:

The difference is like 1-2% though. :v:

Not in summer!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's a bit excessive but if you have the cash to burn why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

It's a bit excessive but if you have the cash to burn why not?
Because it upsets the people who don't have the cash to do so, that's about it. It's like having a Lamborghini; some people want one, but it's "pointless" compared to, say, a decent BMW.