Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I believe that's more of a general purpose exclamation than a religious phrase in german.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:allears:

AnxiousSloth
Jul 22, 2007
Red and filled with butter, just like nature intended
I know it isn't for quite a while but Strife is an amazing game which I still think stands up today in story even if it doesn't mechanically. I can't wait to see you tackle it.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Fish Noise posted:

I can't help but think of some very specific music when I see that Mutant firing animation.

80's WWF was the first thing I thought of.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Fish Noise posted:

This drat image has been stuck in my mind all day and I have taken measures to get it out.

Perfection.

Also good luck Temin_Dump, this's gonna be good. :allears:

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Thanks for the feedback regarding the fast forwarding. Glad to know I didn't make a terrible choice!

Fish Noise posted:

This drat image has been stuck in my mind all day and I have taken measures to get it out.

This rules.
You rule.

AnxiousSloth posted:

I know it isn't for quite a while but Strife is an amazing game which I still think stands up today in story even if it doesn't mechanically. I can't wait to see you tackle it.

Yeah, it's really good. Can't wait to get to that one myself!

Thyrork posted:

Also good luck Temin_Dump, this's gonna be good. :allears:

Thank you. This thing's gonna be a ton of fun.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And if anyone were wondering just exactly how ridiculous that pushwall maze is:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking this is Romero manifesting what eventually became Daikatana.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the easter egg that's missing from the Steam version?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

I'm thinking this is Romero manifesting what eventually became Daikatana.

If you mention Daikatana three times in a non-Daikatana thread you get a haunted copy of Daikatana added to your computer's startup tasks and you can never get it rid of it. Or so the legend goes.

Klaus88 posted:

:staredog:

Hopefully all us nerds can co-exist in peace without a great big slap fight over what constitutes "doom" RIGHT GUYS/GALS?

I think this thread should include DoomRPG. There, I said it :colbert:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Meaty Ore posted:

Out of curiosity, what exactly is the easter egg that's missing from the Steam version?

Temin_Dump posted:

That's something we're gonna cover at a later date. Sorry to leave you hanging.

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Part 3 is live!

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
There was not The Internet back in the day, like there is now. You didn't just open a browser, type in a webpage, and away you go. It wasn't even like before that, when you had to dial up to your Internet Provider, and THEN open a browser. It was much more primitive than that.

Bear in mind, I was pretty much a pre-teen when all this was happening, and it was my older brother who was the real techie, with all the hook ups. So for a lot of this my understanding was "my brother got a disk from a friend, and that lets me do this cool poo poo". So some of the details may be a bit sketchy.

Back in the day, you'd have your PC (IBM Compatible Personal Computer). If you were lucky it was a 286, 386, or maybe even 486. I started out* on an AT&T 8088 with a monochrome green screen that ran DOS. Shortly after that, we got a 286 PC that had a modem and Windows 3.1, and later a 486SX with Windows 95 (We upgraded the crap out of that 486SX: maxed out the RAM at 4MB, eventually got a 56K modem for it). I think the modem was 4800 Baud starting out? Super slow. It did have a modem, but there was still no Internet. What you had to do was get a list of Bulletin Board System (BBSes) and their phone numbers. If your parents let you call long distance, or you could find some with toll free numbers, that really opened up what you could do, but long distance calling was expensive, except maybe at night or something? And I don't know where you'd get this list of BBSes, except from someone who already had them, or knew someone who ran one. My brother or maybe my dad brought home a program on a 3.5" floppy disk that you could use to call some master BBS, and download a recent list of BBSes, and sort by local numbers. Then you had to start dialing, and hope you could find one that answered. Depending on who was running the BBS, it may only have one modem line, so only one user at a time, or it might have multiple lines (and thus multiple numbers), or even a modem pool so multiple users could call the same number and get in.

Once you got into the BBS, there were file downloads, and even online games called MUDs (Multi User Dimensions, is what I always heard they were called). The MUD I remember seeing most often was Legend of the Red Dragon but I know there were others. There were pretty much pre-MMORPGs. If other players were online, you could interact with them, and your state would be saved so you could pick up where you left off. Most BBSes had limits on how long you could stay connected, or how much you could transfer, or how much you could download before you had to upload something. If you were young and had nothing to contribute like me, you'd just bounce between the various different BBSes and download different shareware games to play.

Keep in mind, this was all text based interfaces, no mouse, no graphics beyond ASCII art. These programs ran in MS-DOS, until later when Windows 3.1 came out, and THEN you could have a graphical interface. And it wasn't until much later that faster modems like 14.4k, 28.8k, and 56k became a thing.

From these BBSes, you could download shareware games to your 100MB hard drive. Yeah, that's right 100 Megabyte. These drives were tiny, and so were the shareware games. So you'd download the shareware game, and play it until you beat it or got bored with it, then either delete it, or buy the full version by either calling the company and ordering it, if they had that option, or send them a letter through the US Postal Service with a check or cash for them to send you the game disks. Again, I was a wee young'un at this time, and didn't have money of my own, so it was usually my older brother bringing home some of these games. If you were lucky, you might have a local software store you could go buy the games.

There was email, but it was like the BBS: you had your email provider, you used your modem to call them and used their program to send emails. So email did exist before the Internet, it just wasn't as convenient, and you were pretty much tied to the one provider, unless you wanted to sign up for multiple providers, but you'd still have to call them all one at a time to get and send emails.

Obviously, this was just a home setup. If you were at a college or a business things might a bit different, but I was barely in elementary and middle school when all this was going on, so I didn't have much insight into how all that worked.

Then later, things got better with "Internet Providers" like CompuServe, AOL, and Prodigy, where you'd call into their numbers, log in, and you could access their network of "web pages", but you were usually limited to what was on their network. It wasn't until much later that ISPs became a thing, and you could access across networks. And yeah, you had to pay for these services, AND any phone fees incurred. And god help your download if someone picked up the phone to make a phone call, and interrupted you! Yes, all this worked by playing audio tones over phone lines, so if your line wasn't very clear, you could get crappy slow connection speeds.

It was a primitive and ugly time, and I'm really glad we have the Internet we do now, with always on high speed connections, and no borders between networks.

*My dad was a real tech head back in the day, so I really started out on a Commodore 64, a VIC 20, and a Timex Sinclair. But these were all pre-MS DOS/Windows, so they don't really matter to this discussion.

Wa11y fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 3, 2016

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

^ Yeah, I had the vaguest notion of the pre-internet internet. I only got internet for the first time in 1998-ish, so I'm completely unfamiliar with BBS stuff. I feel like a real whippersnapper talking about old stuff that I'm not familiar with. Thanks for the cool info though.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I read computer gaming magazines in the early to mid 90s (being a terrible, terrible nerd even as a small child) so I knew that BBSes and MUDs (I remember one called BatMUD) and such were a thing that existed, but had precisely zero idea how any of that stuff actually worked and didn't actually get to use the internet until around 1998-99.

As for Doom, I have pretty good memories of going over to a friend's house after school and playing Ultimate Doom on his dad's 386. Of course we had IDDQD and IDKFA and all that stuff turned on because we were dumb kids, so I didn't play Doom properly until the Xbox Live Arcade version many years later. I had an absolute blast with that one and actually went on to complete the three original episodes (on Ultraviolence, of course), finally hitting a brick wall with Thy Flesh Consumed.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cathode Raymond posted:

If you mention Daikatana three times in a non-Daikatana thread you get a haunted copy of Daikatana added to your computer's startup tasks and you can never get it rid of it. Or so the legend goes.

Is this really a non-Daikatana thread?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Ok those were the guys in white I was thinking of I guess. Odd, my memory has them in white kung-fu gi like Ryu instead of Nazi uniforms. My memory of Wolfenstein is really fuzzy it seems.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
That "Zero Hour" track is definitely reminiscent of something that doesn't help with the goofiness impression.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wa11y posted:

even online games called MUDs (Multi User Dimensions, is what I always heard they were called). The MUD I remember seeing most often was Legend of the Red Dragon but I know there were others. There were pretty much pre-MMORPGs. If other players were online, you could interact with them, and your state would be saved so you could pick up where you left off.
MUDs still exist, though they're obviously less popular than they were.

PSWII60 posted:

Ok those were the guys in white I was thinking of I guess. Odd, my memory has them in white kung-fu gi like Ryu instead of Nazi uniforms. My memory of Wolfenstein is really fuzzy it seems.
Are you sure you're not actually thinking of the Street Fighter mod?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Speaking as someone who was alive in this era (unlike the rest of you newjacks) the modem speed wasn't 56k, probably around 14.4 was the max at the time. I got Wolf3D from a floppy disc in a game store (for free the shareware version) at the time, and then pirated it from BBS's after that. I also ran a BBS. I was also a FIDO/SeaDog node so that meant I got in on the internet before it was cool! (because it's cool now right??). I had my own HOSTS file which you guys refer to as Google DNS now.

Out of all this, the weirdest thing is Rudolph, because I always thought he was saying FREON as a kid and that was somehow german for "freeze"

Lastly, you guys gave daps to Carmack, which I can respect, the guy earned his bones. But the first 3d-ish raycast engine I ever saw was on the Atari 8-bit in a game called Alternate Reality by Philip Price. Released in 1985

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Fish Noise posted:

That "Zero Hour" track is definitely reminiscent of something that doesn't help with the goofiness impression.

still one of my favourite tracks for the game, regardless of how silly it sounds

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Part 4 is up!

What do you guys think of the update schedule so far? I was thinking of releasing 2 videos per week seeing as this is gonna be a really long thread.

Also, thanks to everyone who schooled me on old-school pre-internet. That's some cool info to have.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
2 would probably be better.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Yes, do two a week HURT ME PLENTY :unsmigghh:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

If you wanted to do 1 a day I'd be cool with it

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC there was also a GBA port of Doom and rather unsurprisingly it was utter dogshit.

e: Also, Giftmacher translates literally to "maker of poisons". Not as good a nomen omen as the final boss of the game, but still funny.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 11, 2016

Temin_Dump
Mar 14, 2016

Alright, I'm gonna start doing two a week now since there doesn't seem to be any objections. Look forward to the next one on Friday!

Spudd posted:

If you wanted to do 1 a day I'd be cool with it

You know, I'd love to do one a day myself. If it wasn't for all the pesky editing I'm doing, it'd probably be a bit more tenable.

anilEhilated posted:

IIRC there was also a GBA port of Doom and rather unsurprisingly it was utter dogshit.

e: Also, Giftmacher translates literally to "maker of poisons". Not as good a nomen omen as the final boss of the game, but still funny.

Ironically, the GBA ports of Doom/Doom 2 aren't the worst ports I've experienced.

Temin_Dump fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 11, 2016

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Temin_Dump posted:

Ironically, the GBA ports of Doom/Doom 2 aren't the worst ports I've experienced.

You're talking about the Canon Printer version aren't you?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Duke Nukem novels would either be hilarious or absolutely unreadable.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Tiggum posted:

Duke Nukem novels would either be hilarious or absolutely unreadable.

So, no different than the Doom novels.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Cathode Raymond posted:

You're talking about the Canon Printer version aren't you?

:aaaaa: hoooooly poo poo that is cool

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
It's not Doom, but it IS Quake, rendered the best way possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMli33ornEU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

So at the end of the 3rd (I think) episode you were asking about the 3 letter code under the time. It was a verification tool for a high score contest where you would give the 3 letter code to verify that you got the score you did without any cheats. The only source I can find is Wikipedia and it's not sourced on here that I could find, but it's as good an explanation as any.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Fish Noise posted:

You can kill a drat Nazi but you can't kill the joy of dance

Edit: gently caress yeah all the Doom, thanks. I'm real excited for the new one

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Hi, I want to say a bit about sound, music and sound effects.

When Wolfenstein 3D starts up, the first thing is that red screen that shows your system configuration. Memory bars on the left, features on the right. There are three possible audio devices you can use with Wolf 3D: AdLib, Creative SoundBlaster, and Disney Sound Source.

AdLib is a synthesizer add-in card for the IBM PC, based on the Yamaha OPL2 and later OPL3 sound synthesis chips.

Disney Sound Source is a parallel port attached digitized sound (PCM) playback device. It's not really suited for music, or at least it would take far too much CPU for early-1990's PC CPUs to produce music for it, enough that you wouldn't be able to play a game at the same time.

SoundBlaster is an add-in card featuring both an OPL chip, a DAC (and ADC) for PCM sound, and a mixer to combine it onto a single analog output.

And then there is also the PC Speaker that's built-in, and can make beeps and bloops.

But now here's the thing: Digitized sound takes up a lot of space. Like, you may have to use several kilobytes to store a few seconds of audio, and you couldn't afford that kind of space usage back in the day. So digitized sound was only used for special occasions and very short clips, like speech and gunshots.

Meanwhile, the Yamaha OPL synthesizers are actually that, real FM type synthesizers that you can program to make a huge array of different sounds. Lots of people have only heard them used for General MIDI playback, and honestly FM synthesis is not at all a good fit for a general instrument bank like that. However, if you, like many earlier games do, use the OPL chip on the AdLib or SoundBlaster directly, you can make plenty of good sounds, including sound effects. And these sounds are just an algorithmic description, and take up much less space than PCM digitized audio.
So of course games would use the AdLib/SB synthesizer to produce sound effects too. And that's what lots of Wolfenstein 3D's sound effects are, and why they sound so unique: It's not sound recordings, but generated sound.

You can try experimenting with different options in the Sound option, right at the main menu of the game. You don't even have to restart to change what devices are used!
You can always get sound effects through the PC speaker, or you can use an AdLib/SB for better sounding ones. If you also have a SB or Sound Source, enabling that will play the effects that have a recorded version through that instead, so you get better sounding doors, gunshots... and the guards actually talk! And then you can turn music on or off.

Speaking of music, of course the music in Wolfenstein 3D isn't really MIDI, but rather it's written straight for the Yamaha OPL2 chip, so it can use all the strengths of the FM synthesis, and avoid the weaknesses. So of course it sounds good too :)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 12, 2016

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

nielsm posted:

:words: about audio

Good god, I remember watching my dad struggle to get the sound working in Duke Nukem 3D back when it first came out. So glad we're (sorta) past those days. Even though that synthesizer sounds loving sweet.

Sharp_angus
Aug 10, 2005

I just love the game. I can't get enough of hackey!
Didn't see this mentioned, but way back, the shareware version of Wolf3D (at least the one I had), was an older engine than the one that made retail release. The most notable difference I found was that push-walls didn't slide, while they and all other doors kinda snapped to their open state.

Adlib effects were.... interesting, especially all the digitized speech and sampled sounds (guard exclamations, etc.). It's funny also that some of the regular effects like ammo and food pickups stay the same, even when using SoundBlaster in the settings.

Anecdote: Wolf3D was the first thing my dad and I played when he splurged on the Soundblaster PRO. Hearing the metal door in E1M1 and the ACHTUNG! for the first time are memories he and I still yammer on about today :gowron:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
after watching all that sped up wolf 3-D gameplay I am starting to see how people get motionsick from playing it :barf:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Good god, I remember watching my dad struggle to get the sound working in Duke Nukem 3D back when it first came out. So glad we're (sorta) past those days.
There was a program called "setblast" that made that much easier. It would actually do some sort of test to figure out the correct settings for your sound card, and most games would then just work. The ones that didn't you'd still have to enter the settings into, but since you now knew them it was still way easier.

The real hassle were those DOS games that needed a ton of conventional memory and you had to do all sorts of fiddling with your autoexec.bat and config.sys to try to make enough memory free for them to run.

Sharp_angus posted:

Anecdote: Wolf3D was the first thing my dad and I played when he splurged on the Soundblaster PRO. Hearing the metal door in E1M1 and the ACHTUNG! for the first time are memories he and I still yammer on about today :gowron:
I'm pretty sure I died the first time I saw Hans Grosse just because I was so startled by him suddenly appearing and yelling "Guten tag!" at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Tiggum posted:

There was a program called "setblast" that made that much easier. It would actually do some sort of test to figure out the correct settings for your sound card, and most games would then just work. The ones that didn't you'd still have to enter the settings into, but since you now knew them it was still way easier.

Nothing will beat the Blizzard way though :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_A1GNx0M9M