Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

repiv posted:

TPU got some Polaris specs: https://www.techpowerup.com/222450/more-polaris10-and-polaris11-specifications-revealed

Nothing too surprising, P10 is slightly behind the fastest Hawaii SKUs in raw FLOPS but with GCN4 improvements and actual OC headroom it should pull ahead. Memory controller is ready for GDDR5X so they have some room to grow when the chips become affordable.
Is there a reason Polaris would have lower raw compute than 2 chips ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Is there a reason Polaris would have lower raw compute than 2 chips ago?

Hawaii is 438mm² and Polaris 10 is only 232mm².

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

repiv posted:

Hawaii is 438mm² and Polaris 10 is only 232mm².
How much of that is attributable to process size though?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, the great dumping has begun, Micro Center is hawking MSI and EVGA Superclocked 970's for $250..

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It hasn't truly begun until we start seeing pristine 980tis for $310 instead of just used ones

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Eh i doubt that will happen. Production probably stopped a while ago on 980ti's. They will clear out in the 400-$500 range

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

24% over stock in actual benchmark numbers is very nice.

Umm, that's a 22% overclock, isn't it? How is it producing a bigger improvement than the maximum theoretical improvement?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

There's debate about this on reddit. Some think the stock 1080 might be memory bandwidth starved and that those scores have a memory overclock that's pulling more than the 50% rule of thumb. The other theory is one or both of these leaks are bollocks

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah, memory bottlenecking fits with the discrepancy only appearing over 1080p.

code:
 Core:  2114 /  1733 = 1.2198499711
1080p: 26456 / 21828 = 1.2120212571
1440p: 12921 / 10367 = 1.2463586379
2160p:  6232 /  4998 = 1.2468987595

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

There's debate about this on reddit. Some think the stock 1080 might be memory bandwidth starved and that those scores have a memory overclock that's pulling more than the 50% rule of thumb. The other theory is one or both of these leaks are bollocks

Because of course they can't mention that. What fun!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Jesus if those numbers are real that thing has some legs on it.

I was within (distant) striking distance stock vs my 980Ti at 1514Mhz, but once it OC'ed, it literally is running away from the pack. I can see why they say it is faster than 2 980's, they weren't kidding.

This make holding onto my 980ti a little harder, however considering the numbers here, the Ti version (Hoping to god it is close to a full GP100) may be another 25% faster than the 1080 and then OC headroom on top of that. Literally over Titan X SLI performance in a single GPU? Yes Please. Elite in VR would finally be GPU bottleneck free landing on planets, and even have some headroom maybe for running it at 1.5X Res.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Jesus if those numbers are real that thing has some legs on it.

I was within (distant) striking distance stock vs my 980Ti at 1514Mhz, but once it OC'ed, it literally is running away from the pack. I can see why they say it is faster than 2 980's, they weren't kidding.

This make holding onto my 980ti a little harder, however considering the numbers here, the Ti version (Hoping to god it is close to a full GP100) may be another 25% faster than the 1080 and then OC headroom on top of that. Literally over Titan X SLI performance in a single GPU? Yes Please. Elite in VR would finally be GPU bottleneck free landing on planets, and even have some headroom maybe for running it at 1.5X Res.

NDA ends on the 17th I think. Then you still have to wait another 10 days to even pay $100 over msrp. Anyone who owns a 980 Ti should just wait for big Pascal, IMHO. We may not even see big Pascal until the end of the year though.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No discounts in poutine land yet - gently caress.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Hmmm, since the 1070 only has GDDR5 I wonder if it will have big problems with gaining performance from OCing? If the GP104 on the 1080 is already choking on 11GHz GDDR5X I have to wonder how even a cut down GP104 in the 1070 will fare with 7-8GHz GDDR5.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Kind of leaves the door open on 2017 custom 1080s that perform noticeably better using 2 8 pin connectors and 14Ghz GDDR5X.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, the great dumping has begun, Micro Center is hawking MSI and EVGA Superclocked 970's for $250..

If these dip below $200 I wonder if they'll be a better deal than whatever AMD has coming?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Naffer posted:

If these dip below $200 I wonder if they'll be a better deal than whatever AMD has coming?

Maybe. It will likely strongly depend on what games you're playing. I would look back at how Kepler fell off relative to GCN and Maxwell as new games came out with trepidation.

Also, glad to hear we're pushing back into price/performance points we haven't seen since last year.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I figure this is the place to ask this. I have an OCed GTX 970, and I just updated my driver. This would be fine, except I'm suddenly seeing significant screen tearing while scrolling webpages. Is there a setting somewhere to clean that up? Or am I just going to have to deal with it. Monitor is 1080p60Hz native.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SlayVus posted:

NDA ends on the 17th I think. Then you still have to wait another 10 days to even pay $100 over msrp. Anyone who owns a 980 Ti should just wait for big Pascal, IMHO. We may not even see big Pascal until the end of the year though.

Either way it goes, I am not really tempted too much to get a 1080. Look at how bad the 980 faired vs the 970/980Ti's. It was sort of a price point chip, but really didn't provide the worthy bang that the 970 or eventually the 980Ti's did.

If that has any chance of happening again, I am ok with waiting till the end of the year for a Ti that literally curbstomps the 1080 with sheer performance for $200 more as I really don't see VR SLI picking up steam for another year or two. So having the best single GPU I can get will still be my priority for the near future. Currently the only VR titles that kill the 980Ti is Project Cars and Elite, so a 1080 might fix that, but a 1080Ti might allow me to have everything maxed and more room to spare.

Guarantee Project Cars in VR can still tax that 1080 stock though. My 980Ti only gets like 45-55FPS with a full grid and some settings turned down (shadows/reflections/etc) and I have a target of 90FPS solid to reach.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
big pascal is roughtly twice the size of 1080 isn't it? should be a big bump in performance

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Don Lapre posted:

Looks like the nvidia crazy overclock train isn't slowing down.

These cards only have an 8pin power connector too. Wanna see one that can really supply some power.

I think a lot of the board partners are going to add a second plug, possibly just a 6-pin for their power systems, which may help for OCing and what not. Or they're just being cheap and using less efficient power systems, who knows.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Naffer posted:

Highly discounted last gen high end cards tend to be a tad cheaper than new midrange, you do lose out on the lower tdp and new features.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

Umm, that's a 22% overclock, isn't it? How is it producing a bigger improvement than the maximum theoretical improvement?

I don't know. Its usually the other way around. Might not be real

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I don't know. Its usually the other way around. Might not be real

I've just been assuming everything on videocardz.com is fake because that website inspires zero confidence in me. Have they had a good track record for leaks or something?

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

Don Lapre posted:

big pascal is roughtly twice the size of 1080 isn't it? should be a big bump in performance

A lot of it is double precision units. P100 is 10.6 TFlops SP (more units, but running at a lower boost clock) while 1080 is at 9.something.

If they turn the DP off, they could ostensibly use the power envelope to get the clocks on a Titan card up to near 1080 levels, at which point you'd be at like 12.4 TF (with yuuuuge memory bandwidth - like 2X the 1080).

Yeah, that could be pretty good.

Edit: I need to bookmark this post so I can refer back to it in 9 months...

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

I swear I have a couple of nearly-identical devices made of plastic in my junk box - I got them from an old Alienware Aurora ALX SLI watercooled box I bought secondhand.

Alienware(they weren't Dell back then) installed them to keep the hoses and water blocks from tweaking the cards, and this was in 2006-ish.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Durinia posted:

A lot of it is double precision units. P100 is 10.6 TFlops SP (more units, but running at a lower boost clock) while 1080 is at 9.something.

If they turn the DP off, they could ostensibly use the power envelope to get the clocks on a Titan card up to near 1080 levels, at which point you'd be at like 12.4 TF (with yuuuuge memory bandwidth - like 2X the 1080).

Yeah, that could be pretty good.

Edit: I need to bookmark this post so I can refer back to it in 9 months...
That assumes they don't make a GP102 card with all the DP units mysteriously missing.

I'm not sure they would even bother with the -02, considering the additional cost.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HMS Boromir posted:

I've just been assuming everything on videocardz.com is fake because that website inspires zero confidence in me. Have they had a good track record for leaks or something?

I've ***heard*** that they do, but regardless the most faked leaks tend to be benchmarks historically so... we'll see soon enough I suppose

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I love how this doesn't even explain what the product is to the layman. The promo video at the top of the page just shows the company logo and the only mention of its function at all is "GPU support system" in the first sentence, no blurb whatsoever about why you may want/need one.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Don Lapre posted:

Eh i doubt that will happen. Production probably stopped a while ago on 980ti's. They will clear out in the 400-$500 range

I was thinking the same, mainly because vendors know not everyone will jump to the latest and greatest - a drop of $100-200 on a high end, last gen card ends up looking like a great deal to penny pinchers when a formerly $600 card is suddenly $400-450. IMHO I can't see Nvidia dropping the 980Ti lower than the $450-500 range, the midrange cards have been sinking in price like rocks though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Gp 100 die sizes also include the HBM2 which is built into the die.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

SlayVus posted:

Gp 100 die sizes also include the HBM2 which is built into the die.

HBM2 is next to the die, not on the die. Is nvidia including it in the size?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
No 1070 benchmarks on the 17th right?

Just 1080 benchmarks?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I'm pretty sure the die size figure for the GP100 does not include the HBM2 and interposer. According to Nvidia the dimensions of the interposer package are 55mm x 55mm whereas the area quoted for the GPU is only 610mm^2, which seems about right for the GPU portion only by looking at that image.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

I'm pretty sure the die size figure for the GP100 does not include the HBM2 and interposer. According to Nvidia the dimensions of the interposer package are 55mm x 55mm whereas the area quoted for the GPU is only 610mm^2, which seems about right for the GPU portion only by looking at that image.

Beat me to it. Posting this anyway :colbert:

vvv The guy who leaked the 17th embargo date specifically said it was for Pascal architecture details and the 1080. Didn't mention the 1070.

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 14, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

OhFunny posted:

No 1070 benchmarks on the 17th right?

Just 1080 benchmarks?

No way of knowing, pretty much everything is under NDA at this point. Personally I think the 1070 reviews will drop a little later than the 1080 ones, maybe a week or two between them.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
That just doesn't make sense to me. NDA the date the NDA gets lifted.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress, I almost convinced myself to spend $500 CAD on a 970 from MSI.

I am jonesing hard.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

SlayVus posted:

My 980 Ti is about 6-8" longer than the PCI-E slot and weighs 3-4 lbs. It is actually, literally, slanted downwards at the rear of the card.

Just to give you an idea of how slanted it is, to level it takes like 1/2-3/4" of vertical movement.

Gwaihir posted:

This is one (Of many) reasons I loving love the Silverstone FT-02's rotated layout. No droopy video cards!

:hfive: :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
So the rumored SP counts for mobile chips on the Polaris series?

http://www.amd.com/en-gb/products/graphics/notebook/r9-m200

470 and 470X are Bonaire so...Tonga. Tonga stop. Tonga what are you doing.